Menu

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this or not, but unfortunately it isn't only Rival that might have lead in them.

Here are a few links to posts on Mothering.com, in which some people share the information they've gotten from various companies regarding the possibility of lead in their slow cookers.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=789962

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=583529

Unfortunately, since reading these I have not been able to use my slow cooker. :glare:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd test the crockpots, regardless of brand. When my rival broke a few years ago I didn't replace it because they were all made in China or thereabouts. This was before all the news about the problems & contamination with various things made there, but I decided I could make my slow cook stuff the old fashioned way on my stove with stainless steel pots, or in the oven in glass Pyrex pans. I'm very glad I didn't go out and get another Rival crockpot.

We did lead tests on paint since we live in an old house as well. And found some areas that were "positive". Some things we removed, and some things we "buried" (following "good practice" directives such as not sanding items with lead paint).

But are the DIY kits which show gross amounts of lead in paint, good enough to show more minute amounts in a glaze? I don't know. But I am concerned. And Rival is not helping.

Bill

Lead in paint is mainly a problem when the paint peels or is rubbed to a powder. The most important things to replace in an old house are the windows, since paint rubs off whenever they are opened and closed and leaves a fine lead dust. I think old glazing had lead, too. My dh worked in lead abatement years ago for a while, but he's fallen asleep early, so I don't want to ask him right now. However, I'm far pickier than he is since he tends not to worry nearly as much about these issues as I do.

I posted a few replies back that Euro-pro replied to me today that theirs do not have lead in them (the glaze or the insert). And then I read about this one today too.

We bought the Vita-Clay, but haven't used it as a crock pot because it isn't as big. My crock pot is 6 quarts and the large vita clay is only 8 cups. We have been eating a lot more rice though! :D

Well...I don't know how helpful this is going to be! I'll ask him if there's anything you can do at home when he gets back (this is from his email).

---Find a chem lab with an atomic absorption spectrometer or and

inductivityy coupled plasma-optical emission spectrometer (we have an AA

here at [the college he works at]). Fill the crock pot with distilled white vinegar

and let it cook for a few hours (to simulate cooking under highly

acidic conditions). Run a sample of the vinegar through the AA and

test for lead. You should also run a sample of the vinegar uncooked

as a control.---

I emailed this bit of instructions to my friend who is a chem prof at the college where I work. He says "We do have an AA" and that he'll set up a time for us to test our 30 year old Rival. I can't promise anything YouTube worthy but I'll see what we can do. (But, hey, Bill, it's a quick flight to Seattle from LA!)

I wonder, though, if we're going to take the trouble of testing, if we should test other units? PM me if you live in the greater Seattle area and you want to send me your crock, especially if it was made in this millennium.

I would like to know more about this Euro pro, and if anyone hears anything else about them and not having lead in there crocks.

Whew! I was worrying about mine! But mine is a Euro-Pro. I've had it for years and LOVE IT!!!!!!! It is huge and feeds my family of 6 very well. I can cook on low, med, or high. There is also just a "keep warm" setting. It times it for me. I love it.

BUT! I have one complaint. If the power goes out and then comes back on.....it doesn't come back on. Which is good, I suppose, because if you were gone when it happened and the power was out for 3 hours with your raw chicken in it and the power came back on and started cooking your nasty chicken.....you'd never know and could potentially end up with food poisoning. But twice now I have come home to raw chicken sitting in the crockpot after a long day of errands. Now, if there is any question of power-outages....my mom runs over to the house for me to make sure it's still cookin'.

Lead in paint is mainly a problem when the paint peels or is rubbed to a powder. The most important things to replace in an old house are the windows, since paint rubs off whenever they are opened and closed and leaves a fine lead dust. I think old glazing had lead, too. My dh worked in lead abatement years ago for a while, but he's fallen asleep early, so I don't want to ask him right now. However, I'm far pickier than he is since he tends not to worry nearly as much about these issues as I do.

We replaced all the windows and sashes in our house, but "buried" the paint on the doors and some cabinet doors. We have know two families whose children had some lead exposure, so it weighs on my mind to be "safe".

Bill

I was promised a call back from a Rival Executive.

Do you think they honored their promise? :glare:

Bill

That is enough to make me toss the crock. Maybe we should have a contest to see how far one can throw their crockpot, we could post the video on you-tube. :D:D That might get their attention.

This i'd assume would remove most of the risk of lead leaching, but would introduce the risks of aluminum leaching (which is also a potential [and hotly debated] health risk).

Ahhh!

Bill

Actually, the liners are just made by the Reynold's Aluminum company, but the liners are plastic. So you wouldn't have to worry about leaching aluminum... just bisphenol A (which was just placed on the toxic chemicals list in Canada, I believe). :glare:

I wish everyone would consider contacting Rival to demand answers.

Rival

c/o JCS/THG, LLC

13120 Jurupa Avenue

Fontana, CA 92337

Telephone: 1-800-323-9519

You won't receive any answers, but we might shake them up a bit.

I'm in. I called just now, but they are closed. Will call again tomorrow a.m.

I've been trying not to read this thread. I use my Hamilton Beach slow cooker at least once a week, if not twice. I have a Rival crockpot that was given to me when I was a freshman in college that I still use. There are days when I use both of them at the same time. The slow cooker saves me from having to buy food from a restaurant. Hmm. I wonder which is the worse evil - restaurant food or lead?

In fact, my dh put chili in the slow cooker this morning and it's been cooking all day. I'd planned to just let it sit in the cooker all night. Until I started reading this thread, again, and following the links. I suppose putting grass fed beef and organic produce, homemade beef stock, etc. in a lead encrusted slow cooker is a bad idea?

:ack2:

Okay, well I got through to Rival and was given an answer! According to the lady I spoke with, the ingredients in the glaze are:

silica flour

clay

FRIT (she spelled it for me)

various ground minerals (she couldn't be more specific)

She said these ingredients are mixed with water, sprayed on or the the pot is dipped into it, then fired. She said she is not aware of any lead and that all their tests "exceed the FDA requirements". When I asked about older models, she said it is her understanding that once the pots were made to be removable, this is the technique they have used. So, if your insert is not removable, she doesn't seem to have any info on those.

This is all I have, for what its worth.

Edited by LauraGB
clarifying Rival

I imagine you've seen this:

http://insightfulnana.com/tag/hamilton-beach/

and this:

http://www.dld123.com/q&a/index.php?cid=2212

But for anyone who hasn't.

Just a heads up: Hamilton Beach has revised their information and now admits their slow cookers may not be lead free. This is from the FAQ on their website:

Q Does the crock contain lead?

A Hamilton Beach specifications applicable to all slow cookers and their components (including the earthenware crocks) prohibits the product from containing any measurable amounts of lead. Furthermore, the factories that manufacture the earthenware crocks for Hamilton Beach are certified ceramic production facilities whose ceramic ware is deemed to satisfy FDA heavy metal requirements. Hamilton Beach takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the earthenware crocks accompanying our slow cookers provide safe and satisfactory service to our consumers.

Okay, well I got through and was given an answer! According to the lady I spoke with, the ingredients in the glaze are:

silica flour

clay

FRIT (she spelled it for me)

various ground minerals (she couldn't be more specific)

She said these ingredients are mixed with water, sprayed on or the the pot is dipped into it, then fired. She said she is not aware of any lead and that all their tests "exceed the FDA requirements". When I asked about older models, she said it is her understanding that once the pots were made to be removable, this is the technique they have used. So, if your insert is not removable, she doesn't seem to have any info on those.

This is all I have, for what its worth.

As I knew would be the case, they will not answer the straight forward question: "Is there lead used in the glaze of crock pots, yes or no?"

Any attempts to get "clarification" will be met with push-back.

We make a great number of crock pots so that would be impossible to give an "individual" answer

OK, of any of the multitude of crock pot models you've made did any contain lead glaze?

Sir I can't answer that question

OK, of any of the multitude of crock pot models you've made did any NOT contain lead glaze?

Sir I can't answer that question

Your products are tested by the FDA, did those tests reveal the presence of any lead, even if it was a small enough amount to be recognized as "safe" by the FDA?

All our products meet FDA guidelines for lead

Respectfully, that is not the question I asked. Did the tests reveal the presence of ANY lead.

We make a great number of crock pots so that would be impossible to give an "individual" answer

*endless loop*

Bill

*endless loop*

That's crazy. However, my dh was not surprised when I told him about the lead in the slow cooker and crockpot that we have here. He took some sort of pottery class in college (probably twice, just cause, but I won't reflect further on his excessive college credits), and they discussed clay, glaze and lead in this class. He talked quite a bit about it yesterday, but admittedly, my mind started to wander after a while. I think his main point was that there would be lead in any product made of clay or that had a glaze on it.

I wonder - does this also hold true for Pampered Chef and/or Le Creuset products? And what about switching to silicone? Does that have bisphenol A in it or offgas some hideous plastic stuff?

I just want to feed our family...

She actually did say "no, not to my knowledge, based on the information I have in front of me" when I asked her directly is there or isn't there. Thats when she gave me the list of ingredients and talked about lead tests consistantly "exceeding" rather than just meeting the FDA requirements. But, really, how the heck would she know anyway unless she personally tested each individual one herself. She was just reading the information to me that she put me on hold to go get.

Personally, I think I'm okay with my Rival at this point - unless someone gets a different answer. The "various minerals" part kind of concerns me, though. She couldn't be specific about that.

After countless phone calls, and emails to Rival I've been unable to get to get a simple question answered, namely: "Is there any lead in the glazes used in crock pots?"

...If you want to frustrate yourself, here is the Rival consumer information phone number:

1-800-323-9519

I'm sorry this thread is a "downer" but lead exposure is pretty serious and I don't think this company has been straightforward in addressing the issue.

Bill

I found this copy of an email from Rival to a customer who contacted them about the possibility of lead in their glazes on the MotheringDotCommune forums:

Hello M-------,

I have just received your email and would like to thank you for writing. The glaze that we use on our products does not contain lead. It is made of silica flour, clay, feldspar, frit, and a few non-toxic minerals. These are ground up mixed, in specific quantities, with water. The resulting is slurry sprayed onto the pot and it is fired in the kiln at or around 1200-1600 degrees. If you need more information please contact us at 1(800)777-5452, 6am-3pm, MST, Monday through Friday.

Thank you,

Grace

Jarden Consumer Solutions

**This was from November of 2007**

Edited by 6packofun
added italics

She actually did say "no, not to my knowledge, based on the information I have in front of me" when I asked her directly is there or isn't there. Thats when she gave me the list of ingredients and talked about lead tests consistantly "exceeding" rather than just meeting the FDA requirements. But, really, how the heck would she know anyway unless she personally tested each individual one herself. She was just reading the information to me that she put me on hold to go get.

Personally, I'm think I'm okay with my Rival at this point - unless someone gets a different answer. The "various minerals" part kind of concerns me, though. She couldn't be specific about that.

Be aware the first representative I spoke with at Rival assured me that there had never been any lead (in any amount) used in the glaze of any of their crock pots EVER.

I was so relieved as we use our crock heavily. But when I asked for "written confirmation" of this fact, the email contained a very different answer.

It said they meet FDA requirements and that they have never had a lead-based recall.

And the reports of Rival crock pots testing positive for lead leaves me every concerned.

I'm like Suzie, I just want to feed my family....

Bill

This is the relevant part of the email I received:

"We go to great lengths to ensure that our products meet or exceed all applicable laws and regulations as well as industry standards, such as the FDA regulations. JCS has not had any recalls for lead and we are being very diligent in our efforts to ensure our products are compliant with applicable regulations regarding the presence of lead.

If you would like, you could visit the EPA, FDA and CPSC websites for more information.

Please write back if we can provide further assistance. You may also reach us at (800) 777-5452 if you have any further comments or concerns. We are open from 8:00am to 8:00pm, EST, Monday thru Friday".

When I called back and spoke (at long last) with a Supervisor's Supervisor, I was "stonewalled". He refused to confirm or to deny the presence of lead in the glaze of Rival crock pots.

Bill

This is the relevant part of the email I received:

"We go to great lengths to ensure that our products meet or exceed all applicable laws and regulations as well as industry standards, such as the FDA regulations.

Bill

Do we even know what the FDA considers to be an acceptable level of lead? My standards often exceed those of the FDA. They allow many things in food that don't have to go on the label. For example, juice may have up to a certain percentage of corn syrup not listed on the label, so it's wise to look for ones that say unsweetened or no sweetener added, etc. Pure maple syrup may actually contain a small amount of food grade oil as an antifoaming agent. Hydrolyzed plant protein contains MSG, but that MSG doesn't need to be labeled (or didn't last I knew) if it says "hydrolyzed plant protein." Etc, etc.

So if there is lead in the glaze on Rival crockpots (I own 2 and use them weekly), what about plates? What about the glaze on Le Crueset, which I can't really afford but would love to have?

Now I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the aluminum in my Scanpans? Supposed to be enclosed in some pressurized process or something.

Geez, maybe I'll just eat raw fruit and veggies.

And I thought the politics gave me a headache.

Janet

So if there is lead in the glaze on Rival crockpots (I own 2 and use them weekly), what about plates? What about the glaze on Le Crueset, which I can't really afford but would love to have?

Now I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the aluminum in my Scanpans? Supposed to be enclosed in some pressurized process or something.

Geez, maybe I'll just eat raw fruit and veggies.

And I thought the politics gave me a headache.

Janet

:iagree: There's only so much you can do! Even glass contains lead, and crystal more, which is why you should never store alcohol in a crystal decanter. But regular glass just doesn't leach much. It's the slow cooking that may or may not lead to more leaching. However, lead in small enough amounts causes no harm if you eat the right antioxidants that leach the lead out of your body. But those small amounts are extremely small. You're not going to find anything to cook with that won't put something in your food--put it on a wooden spit over the fire and the smoke will put carcinogens in, not to mention other things. I'm not going to eat all food raw, because some of it, including some sprouts (the ones that don't turn green) need to be cooked in order to be properly digested. Do your best, that's my motto.

I'm the kind of person that could easily drive myself nuts over all this kind of thing if I let myself. If the lead were high, there would have been far more problems. It would be nice to get a straight answer. Pewter used to be made with lead, and there were a lot of problems that resulted.

Just a heads up: Hamilton Beach has revised their information and now admits their slow cookers may not be lead free. This is from the FAQ on their website:

Q Does the crock contain lead?

A Hamilton Beach specifications applicable to all slow cookers and their components (including the earthenware crocks) prohibits the product from containing any measurable amounts of lead. Furthermore, the factories that manufacture the earthenware crocks for Hamilton Beach are certified ceramic production facilities whose ceramic ware is deemed to satisfy FDA heavy metal requirements. Hamilton Beach takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the earthenware crocks accompanying our slow cookers provide safe and satisfactory service to our consumers.

Thanks! I think they have always said that there is lead in the clay (naturally occurring I believe) used to make the pot but no ADDED lead or cadmium in the glaze. Its a fine line, I'll grant you that, but sounds like a safer option.

I just tested my crock pots (3 Rivals) and several other things with the LeadCheck Household Lead Test Kit. This kit was purchased at the local hardware store for under $8, and as I recall, it was recommended by Consumer Reports. I heated up my crock pots to simulate cooking (one was actually filled with dinner :) ).

These admittedly crude consumer tests revealed no presence of lead in the glaze.

Back to my dinner preparations :).

http://www.leadcheck.com/retail.shtml

Cool. We have two crock pots and would enjoy a home science project. Eight dollars sounds very do-able, but I think I'll be chucking the Rival one regardless of the results.

I just tested my crock pots (3 Rivals) and several other things with the LeadCheck Household Lead Test Kit. This kit was purchased at the local hardware store for under $8, and as I recall, it was recommended by Consumer Reports. I heated up my crock pots to simulate cooking (one was actually filled with dinner :) ).

These admittedly crude consumer tests revealed no presence of lead in the glaze.

What, no inductivity coupled plasma-optical emission spectrometer handy? :tongue_smilie:

What if you use those crockpot inserts instead of throwing the crockpot away? Would that keep the lead off the food?

This was mentioned previously and it was noted that the type of plastic the liners are made from was banned in Canada due to the risk of toxic leaching.

What a world.

Bill

I emailed this bit of instructions to my friend who is a chem prof at the college where I work. He says "We do have an AA" and that he'll set up a time for us to test our 30 year old Rival. I can't promise anything YouTube worthy but I'll see what we can do. (But, hey, Bill, it's a quick flight to Seattle from LA!)

I wonder, though, if we're going to take the trouble of testing, if we should test other units? PM me if you live in the greater Seattle area and you want to send me your crock, especially if it was made in this millennium.

My dh was talking to a colleague, who wasn't sure if the testing would be sensitive enough to the amount of lead that would be in a glaze. We're still working out how we could test ours at my husband's lab.

I'm still using my LeCreuset. Here's info on lead and cadmium from their website. I'll be buying the dark colors, not bright.

Is Le Creuset lead and cadmium free?

Cadmium and lead are two elements under strict control in the cookware industry. Our position today for the entire production process is to be in compliance with California Proposal 65 which is the most rigid standard in the world for these elements (approx. 10 times lower than "acceptable" limits). Lead is NOT used in our recipes and for cadmium a special anti-acid enamel fritt is used which will not release the cadmium pigment during cooking. Cadmium is used for coloration purposes in achieving bright exterior colors such as Flame and Cherry. The interior enamel which makes contact with food is either sand, white, or black.

Thank you, Spy Car, for bringing this to light. I am gladly discarding my Rival crockpot along with my "made in China" Hometrends dishes which showed up with twice the acceptable lead level on a list of tested dinnerware patterns. I am happily reverting to my less than pretty white Corelle dishes and cherishing even more my old Pfaltgraff pattern that has been a mainstay in our household for twenty years and counting. These were both lead-free on the list.

Thank you, Spy Car, for bringing this to light. I am gladly discarding my Rival crockpot along with my "made in China" Hometrends dishes which showed up with twice the acceptable lead level on a list of tested dinnerware patterns. I am happily reverting to my less than pretty white Corelle dishes and cherishing even more my old Pfaltgraff pattern that has been a mainstay in our household for twenty years and counting. These were both lead-free on the list.

I believe it was Hornblower who first brought this to light here on WTM, so she deserves any credit (or blame :D).

And frankly, I don't know if we should be pitching out or rival crockpots, or not.

Are they safe? I dunno.

Are they a risk? I dunno.

I do know the manufacturer won't come clean, and that, to me is quite vexing (understatement).

For now, mine is "retired" pending more information. This is a "drag" for us as our crockpot gets (or got) used very frequently.

I do wish there was more information available so we could make "rational" decisions on the matter. The news-reports showing lead concern me greatly, and nothing in Rival's actions has mitigated my concerns (another gross understatement).

Bill