Menu

Reassure me please :)

Night Elf

My bipolar episodes and anxiety attacks have been increasing and my pdoc is tweaking my meds. I feel awful and am getting tired of doing my same coping skills such as reading the same books and watching the same old game shows on tv. For months, I've been unable to read or watch anything that makes me feel uncomfortable so I have not read or watched anything new. I'm so bored! And now that my bipolar episodes have increased, I'm feeling mentally unhealthy and can't enjoy anything. Today it was all I could do to get out of bed. At least I didn't have anywhere to go at a certain time. I laid around and finally got sick of it so I made myself get up and start doing some much needed housework. I've been doing things in small bites. I got one load of laundry in then watched part of a game show. Then I cleaned my toilet (do you know how hard it is to clean a toilet with tears clouding your eyes?) and went back to the game show. Etc. I managed to get nearly my whole bathroom done and the 3rd load of laundry is in the dryer. I'm proud of myself for getting up and doing stuff but I don't know how much longer I can go on living like this day to day. My pdoc wants to increase one of my meds again and told me to wait until I have another episode to increase it. She wants to see if the episodes have slowed down with the last change of meds. Then she told me to get to a counselor to discuss the rest of the questions I had. Finding a counselor isn't easy! Kaiser doesn't have many so when I called the next available appointment with any therapist at 3 different locations is October. I simply can't wait that long. 

My DH's company has an Employee Assistance Program that gives me 8 free therapy visits per calendar year. I tried one therapist last week and didn't like her approach. That wasted one of my eight free sessions. So I scheduled a session with a different therapist for next week. I really hope I like her because I don't want to waste my free sessions just trying to find someone I like! When the free visits are over, I have to pay their regular fees and I worry we can't afford it. We're paying for dd's mental health doctor and counselor too. Having two of us in therapy is a lot of money! I don't feel worthy. I feel like putting my problems on the back burner and I know I can't do that but I sure have negative feelings about spending money on myself.

I am NOT cooking dinner tonight. I got pizza last night and tonight I'm going out to buy sub sandwiches. Next week, DH is working evenings so I don't have to prepare dinner. I can eat breakfast for dinner or a sandwich. So that's good. I'm hoping I'll start feeling better because I've got to get back into the swing of my life. I'm a housewife and I feel like I've totally fallen down on the job.

I would try not to feel bad about (potentially, many visits in the future) having to pay out of pocket for psychiatric care.

The thing is, we run a small business and the one thing I hate doing for it is buying supplies. Feels like a waste of money for some reason.  I also hate paying bills.

DH is much more reasonable about it than I am, though, and says (of course) that if we don't buy supplies we can't keep selling the things we make the supplies into.  It's a sunk cost, there's no point putting it off or feeling distressed about it.  It's like putting gas in the car.

The same is true in many ways for psychiatric care for you - if you don't take care of yourself, you eventually will run out of mental gas and won't be functional.  Psychiatric care is part of the cost of running you, much like food.  Some people have to pay for psychiatric care, others for a specialized diet, others for needed medication for some physical problem, etc.  No one just doesn't cost anything.  

Now of course you have intrinsic worth separate of your function, and should receive care just because you exist, but even if you are looking at it in a utilitarian way (which is how I tend to look at things, esp. when I am feeling blue), it still isn't something to be distressed about.  It's the cost of doing business :) 

• Like 11

How about old episodes of TV - something funny that you've seen, like Friends (I think that's on Netflix), or How I Met Your Mother, or the Cosby Show (that popped up as trending in Amazon Instant Video the other day). Or old comedy movies?

Is there anything creative that you do that gives you joy?

Don't worry about wasting the free session.  Just decide if this person is going to help or not.  If they help, you may get more out of one session than a lifetime of sessions with someone you don't click with.

• Like 1

I'm sorry you're going through a rough time.  You always seem like such a sweet and sincere person.  Try not to worry about using up the 8 sessions.  Finding the right person is important.  Even if it takes you all 8 sessions just to find the right person, then you will have finally found her and you won't have to worry about starting over again in the future.  Your mental health has to take priority, and you will get better!

• Like 2

Mental illness sucks. Ask me how I know.  ;) 

I'm a housewife, too, and often feel like a failure because I certainly don't do my work as well as other people. All you can do is the best *you* can do, and that is enough. It is completely fine to make frozen pizza or get takeout or whatever you need to do. Don't worry about it! It's no different than if you had a broken arm or were bedridden with a severe virus. You do the best you can do, and if that's doing some laundry and cleaning a bathroom, I call that a good day with what you are doing through. It is enough.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2