Menu

advanced reader can't pronounce common words

DD10 is an advanced reader. She has no conprhension issues with texts beyond her "grade level." DH and I have noticed more and more that she does not seem able to easily sound out words to arrive at a correct pronunciation. She learned to read early in a program that had a sight word only approach. I think I need to go back and teach her actual phonics but how to do it in a way that is not "babyish" for an almost tween. I'm tempted to just let her do reading eggs since she sees her siblings doing it and wants to too but then I think she would easily become bored. Does the Hive have any suggestions?

One of my daughters was a very early and avid reader and that meant that she was reading words that she'd never heard pronounced out loud. Her assumed way of pronouncing things has still stuck in some cases (she's now 20) and usually involves emphasis on wrong syllables.

Her comprehension has always been excellent, as is vocab and spelling. It's just pronunciation of some words.

I don't know if that could relate to what you're experiencing, but I thought I'd mention it.

• Like 4

DD10 is an advanced reader. She has no comprehension issues with texts beyond her "grade level." DH and I have noticed more and more that she does not seem able to easily sound out words to arrive at a correct pronunciation. She learned to read early in a program that had a sight word only approach. I think I need to go back and teach her actual phonics but how to do it in a way that is not "babyish" for an almost tween. I'm tempted to just let her do reading eggs since she sees her siblings doing it and wants to too but then I think she would easily become bored. Does the Hive have any suggestions?

You could do Spalding. It's a whole English course--spelling, reading, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing. You can tell her that it will begin simply but that it will become more complex as time goes on; and you can move as quickly with her as is possible. And you will only need to buy the manual (Writing Road to Reading), a set of phonogram cards, and a sewn composition book (that will be her spelling notebook).

I second.. Or third I guess it is.. Elizabeth's phonics lessons. I don't think you could cover everything so thoroughly and efficiently in that special situation with another program. They are really fantastic. I am having my 9 year old go through them a second time this summer and then I plan to have my early reading now 6 year old do them in the fall because I know she's missed some phonics in there even though she reads way ahead of grade level.

• Like 1

I have always been an avid reader, started reading at 4. As a child I had trouble pronouncing words from reading. I somehow didn't connect the written word to spoken words on words that were not in my spoken vocabulary. I remember having a spelling test in grade six with the word mirage. When the teacher said the word I had no idea what the word was and failed to spell it. When I saw the correct answer I could not believe how the word was pronounced. I knew exactly what the word meant....

My written vocab was way bigger than my spoken vocabulary

I have always thought it was part of how my dyslexia presents???

• Like 2

This is very common for avid and/or precocious readers. I wasn't taught to read, I just started reading, and I still don't pronounce many words correctly the first couple tries. My husband is more of a talker than a reader iykwim, and he usually knows how to pronounce things. Now one of my kids always mispronounces new words, and he was taught to read with phonics fwiw.

I wouldn't use a program TBH, I'd just talk more and correct her pronunciation.

Edited by OKBud

I was an immigrant kid in fifth grade and didn't receive reading instruction formally. It took me about a year and a half to read English fluently at grade level. I used to frequently mispronounce words and still do to some extent.

In my teens and through my twenties I listened to NPR everyday for hours. During car rides, chores homework, etc. I feel this probably helped me to figure out correct pronounciations more than anything else.

I have always been an avid reader, started reading at 4. As a child I had trouble pronouncing words from reading. I somehow didn't connect the written word to spoken words on words that were not in my spoken vocabulary. I remember having a spelling test in grade six with the word mirage. When the teacher said the word I had no idea what the word was and failed to spell it. When I saw the correct answer I could not believe how the word was pronounced. I knew exactly what the word meant....

:iagree: I remember the same thing growing up. I was an avid reader, but didn't always connect the written word to the spoken word. I was also a talker, so don't think it has to do so much with how verbal a person is, necessarily. I was also in 6th grade when I came across a word in writing, and a light bulb went on as to how it was pronounced; it was a word actually familiar to me, but I hadn't recognized it in writing. I don't have dyslexia.

• Like 1

What about having the child listen to an audiobook and follow along on the physical copy?  

What about just reading aloud together ... maybe parent reads the left page and child reads the right page?  Then you can gently correct any wrong pronounciations.

(I guess both of these ideas assume the child will remember the pronunciation after being corrected once or twice.)

I'm following along for new ideas as I, too, have someone who reads well but doesn't pronounce correctly.  

• Like 1

I'd second the Rewards Secondary suggestion.  You can get both the teacher's manual and a student book on Amazon for way cheaper than on Sopris' website.  

If you go through Rewards and she's still having trouble you might look up symptoms of dyslexia at www.dys-add.com.  My daughter learned to read early using 100 EZ Lessons and then went through another phonics program when she started school.  She read well but when she hit 2nd grade started having trouble with multi-syllabic unfamiliar words.  They were like tongue twisters--she couldn't break them down into their sounds, and if she did manage to do that, she couldn't put them back together to pronounce the words.  At the end of 4th grade it started looking like her then-1st-grade brother was dyslexic, and I realized that she likely was mildly dyslexic also as she had a number of symptoms of dyslexia in spite of reading fluently other than those pesky longer words.  Rewards helped her but wasn't enough so we've moved on to dyslexia-specific reading programs.  

My latest page of my resources for an older remedial student has a lot more nonsense words, they are important for an older student who knows a lot of words by sight, and the Webster's Speller part teaches proper pronunciation of longer words through the schwa accent pattern arrangement. All free to print:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

• Like 1

This is very common for avid and/or precocious readers. I wasn't taught to read, I just started reading, and I still don't pronounce many words correctly the first couple tries. My husband is more of a talker than a reader iykwim, and he usually knows how to pronounce things. Now one of my kids always mispronounces new words, and he was taught to read with phonics fwiw.

I wouldn't use a program TBH, I'd just talk more and correct her pronunciation.

My son and I are both like this. In fact just this week I had to correct his pronunciation of Biotin and Midas. Probably doesn't help that one of the people he talks to the most lives in the UK, which also throws off his pronunciation, lol. But yeah, it's a common thing for people who read a lot. (he wasn't an early reader, but he does read more than talk)

No. I think this is just a matter of being an avid reader. I have no dyslexia but I commonly have the problem of being unable to pronounce words I met first on the written page (Or, when meeting, had no idea it was the same as a word I'd heard).  Mostly this consists of putting the accent on the wrong syllable.

• Like 2