Menu

Poll: Very general poll about chronic pain

6packofun

Chronic pain  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currently experiencing chronic pain that has lasted over one year?

• Yes, I have a diagnosed chronic condition/illness
    • Yes, I have chronic pain but no diagnosis
    • No
    • Other: I have had chronic pain in the past for at least one year but it is not currently chronic and/or was successfully treated.
    • Other; explain
  2. 2. Is your spouse/partner/significant other or any of your children experiencing chronic pain for over one year?

• Yes, one or more family member has a diagnosed chronic condition/illness
    • Yes, one or more family member has chronic pain but no diagnosis
    • No
    • Other: one or more family member has had chronic pain in the past for at least one year, but it is not currently chronic and/or was successfully treated.
    • Other; explain

This is for my dd to get a very general idea on the prevalence of chronic pain from a small sampling.  Thank you!  (This is a private poll, btw.)

*Edited to add:  I'm leaving any definition of "chronic pain" up to the individual.  If you feel it meets the criteria that's good enough for me.

Edited by 6packofun

My dh has had chronic pain for over 10 years. He's been loosely diagnosed with fibromyalgia because the doctors can't quite put their fingers on what it causing it.  In the past 2-3 years he has been presenting more and more like MS.  However, from the one non-contrast MRI they've done they have declared that he doesn't have enough lesions in his brain to diagnose MS yet.  

It is frustrating, both as the person suffering, and as the caregiver/loved one.  

I had a traumatic hip injury as a kid. It was operated on twice and fine...until about two years ago. I'll need a hip replacement in the next five years or so, but it's mostly manageable. I'm 99.9% sure it's osteoarthritis, but so far Motrin is all I need, and even then maybe once a week. I'll look into more treatment when it hurts more regularly, and I have a kid that can drive.

I have arthritis in my thumbs from coaching gymnastics, but it's mild so far, so I checked "no" for me. 

DH had a traumatic hip injury as a child and has constant pain in his hip. He will be needing a hip replacement at some point, but he's not ready yet. 

I'll be married for 25 years next month, and I don't think I know of a single day in our marriage where my husband hasn't been in some sort of pain. Sometimes the pain gets fixed (knee surgery, shoulder surgery), but there's always something new in its place.

Migraines, knee pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, back pain.

I was injured in an accident in the army when I was 19. I turn 40 in a few days. I do not even remember what it feels like to NOT have pain.

A few years ago I was able to have a pain pump implant, which means I get meds via my a catheter in my spine, rather than need to take them all orally. This was a HUGE improvement.

Lol, having kids was a help too...it isn't that I have less pain, quite the contrary. However, when a little person needs you constantly, somehow it seems you aren't as inwardly focused on the pain? Or just don't have the time/ability to think about it:(

But it is ALWAYS there. The other day I heard my DD7 tell my DS2 that they mommy was grumpy because she hurt and they should stay awayðŸ˜

I had surgery for a prolapsed uterus and after recovery I didn't realize how much pain i had been in for years before it was diagnosed. I also have carpel tunnel issues and as long as I do my physical therapy I'm ok.

My dh has horrible knees and hips and back etc. He's not ready to go in to get a diagnosis and treatment plan. (he has already had several knee surgeries)

I was injured in an accident in the army when I was 19. I turn 40 in a few days. I do not even remember what it feels like to NOT have pain.

A few years ago I was able to have a pain pump implant, which means I get meds via my a catheter in my spine, rather than need to take them all orally. This was a HUGE improvement.

Lol, having kids was a help too...it isn't that I have less pain, quite the contrary. However, when a little person needs you constantly, somehow it seems you aren't as inwardly focused on the pain? Or just don't have the time/ability to think about it:(

But it is ALWAYS there. The other day I heard my DD7 tell my DS2 that they mommy was grumpy because she hurt and they should stay away[emoji57]

Yes. Having kids to focus on has changed my life for the better. As you said, constant pain can make you very inward looking. I have been in pain for 30 years-diagnosed with fibromyalgia for 24. (It can be a long time from the start of fibro symptoms to diagnosis). My pain levels are not always the same- they can vary from intense to more like background static because I'm used to it. My Dd says that I am grumpy too though I try to mask that when I am able.

• Like 1

My husband had a random camping accident 6 years ago and his ulnar nerve was severed. He has been in acute chronic nerve pain since then. His diagnosis is CRPS (used to be called RSD). It's completely altered our life.

Edited by Sassenach