Menu

Question from ds8.... do your kids

My ds 5 1/2 doesn't even know what a Webkinz is.

:huh:

Really.

Not that I'm opposed to them, or anything. In fact, it would be a good gift idea for any grandparent/aunt/uncle that asks. We've just never gotten into them. I know my niece and nephew have quite a few. Hmmm, maybe I should check out their website before I give the 'all clear' on them being appropriate for our family. Anyone found anything objectionable with them (we are a conservative Christian family)?

I have never found anything objectionable about them. I like that they seem to keep my dd a little girl, she plays with them with her friends more than is online with them. SHe can send messages to her friends online through it but you can not just randomly message people, you have to have their username first, so that stops adults from randomly messaging the kids. They play games to earn kinz cash to buy items to feed their webkinz, decorate their rooms etc. Their webkinz can go to school or get a job, go mining for jewels, and a ton of other activities. I say they get the green light for sure.

No. My youngest is 11 and he has no clue what those are. He doesn't bug me about anything when shopping, though. I don't tolerate it.

Ria

:iagree:

Yep - I don't go for that. Before we go to the store, we discuss what we are getting and that is what we get. Boring, but saves money and time. If they plan to spend their money on something while we are out, they figure how much it will cost, and bring that amount with them.

My ds 5 1/2 doesn't even know what a Webkinz is.

:huh:

Really.

Not that I'm opposed to them, or anything. In fact, it would be a good gift idea for any grandparent/aunt/uncle that asks. We've just never gotten into them. I know my niece and nephew have quite a few. Hmmm, maybe I should check out their website before I give the 'all clear' on them being appropriate for our family. Anyone found anything objectionable with them (we are a conservative Christian family)?

My kids got the first one as a gift. They're like drugs. The first hit is free but you'll pay for it after that.

I don't find them objectionable in and of themselves but there is a collector's mentality built in to the whole thing and the website encourages the desire to acquire more and kids are susceptible to that. My kids always want to see the new ones when we go to a store that has them and they always ask about getting one when we're there (not in an obnoxious way, usually) but I just tell them to put them on their list (Christmas, birthday etc). Or they buy them with their own money. I try to use it as a way to teach certain lessons like delayed gratification and saving/money management.

But, if you'd rather not deal with the hassle at all, and looking back I'm not sure that I wouldn't, I'd just steer away from it.

Yes and yes. It is a constant topic of conversation at our house, when we might next be able to go to Learning Express to look at them. Or any of the other places around here. They just got L.E. gift cards for Halloween, and dh will be out of town this week, so I'm thinking we may have to make a trip over there to let them choose a new Webbie.

My kids got the first one as a gift. They're like drugs. The first hit is free but you'll pay for it after that.

I don't find them objectionable in and of themselves but there is a collector's mentality built in to the whole thing and the website encourages the desire to acquire more and kids are susceptible to that. My kids always want to see the new ones when we go to a store that has them and they always ask about getting one when we're there (not in an obnoxious way, usually) but I just tell them to put them on their list (Christmas, birthday etc). Or they buy them with their own money. I try to use it as a way to teach certain lessons like delayed gratification and saving/money management.

But, if you'd rather not deal with the hassle at all, and looking back I'm not sure that I wouldn't, I'd just steer away from it.

Thanks for the info, Zelda. You know, I was really shocked when my sil was encouraging her daughter to brag about how many Webkinz she had last time I saw her. It was something like 15 I think. I didn't understand it at all. Now it makes a little more sense. However, that is NOT what dh and I want to teach our children.

Edited by bethanyniez
clarification

DD10 Loves Webkins!

We put a rule into place to curb the obsession a little.

Only 1 Webkin allowed every 2 mths unless it is a gift. I helps with the asking in the stores and helps her to select the ones she wants the most. She also has to buy them with her own money.

One redeeming quality that they have for her is that she makes them houses, furniture and accessories out of cardboard and scraps found around the house. It really draws out her creative side and I love to see how she interacts with them more that her other stuffed animals.

My children received one as a gift. They had no clue it was something you could do on-line. They cut off the tag and promptly threw it away. No way was I going to enlighten them. :001_smile:

They have't asked for another one. I don't think they realize it's something kids collect.

He doesn't bug me about anything when shopping, though. I don't tolerate it.

DS learned very quickly that "bugging" me about buying things doesn't work. Ever. In fact it makes me quite grumpy.

He does love his Webkinz though, and saves his allowance to buy them. I think they're very cute, and I don't mind his choosing to spend his money on them. It takes about a month of saving for him to afford one Webkinz, and if he bought one every month he would have no money left for anything else... so that keeps it in check. :)

We have *one* at our house, because dd3 fell in love with the cute stuffed kitty and got it for her birthday. Other than that, there is no recognition of the Webkins label or anything else about it. My other kids have never asked for a Webkins, and none of them bug me about buying toys every time we go into a store.

HTH!

We own none. My kids never ask for them. Several friends have scads, and we know what they are.

I think younger dd could get sucked into the scene, amassing tons of them -- she has that sort of personality. But she knows I'm not going to buy them for her myself, and she'd rather save for and spend her money on American Girl stuff.

My kids have spent the past 3 weeks playing first with dolls made out of cornhusks, then moving next to little fairy dolls made from pipe cleaners and beads (I have a picture on my blog of the village they built). We're not exactly the trendy crowd here.

Yes, my kids AND dh AND I all like Webkinz! We have quite a few, thanks to generous grandmas. Hubs and I have a couple each so we can have accounts and play online with the kids.

I love that my 10y/o dd still loves her Webkinz and plays with them regularly. The website is entertaining and clean. They certainly do encourage the "collect them all!" mentality and it is an opportunity to teach saving, patience, moderation on a scale/level appropriate to their age. You certainly could avoid the whole thing by staying away from them, though. :)

We have two here. The first one was a gift for ds' 7th birthday. He had SO much fun with it! He learned to read because of Webkinz! He never asked for more. But, this year for his 8th birthday, he received a gift card and bought his second one. Dd plays with the stuffed animals and ds plays on line.

I would've loved these as a kid!!

No one in our house knows what they are.

Ditto! He does keep bringing up some other item that his soccer teammates rave about. Bakugon!?! All I know is they are sold @ Target and cost only $5! I really try to avoid all toy fads like the plague...it saves me the hassle of donating things they tend to forget about or dump in the trash.

hth,

Ditto! He does keep bringing up some other item that his soccer teammates rave about. Bakugon!?! All I know is they are sold @ Target and cost only $5! I really try to avoid all toy fads like the plague...it saves me the hassle of donating things they tend to forget about or dump in the trash.

hth,

Bakugon has hit our house. DS loves these things. His daddy will gift him some once in a while. Webkinz is a new thing. He has two and faithfully checks on them on the computer.

Unless daddy is in a giving mood he must spend his own money on his toys. I believe him and dh have entered into a few loans in the past. :001_huh: