Menu

Weight loss help- specific diet plans?

LarlaB

I don't know how to change what's going on with my body. I've gone from a 4/6 to a 12/14 and am gaining weight without even realizing it. weekends.

I'm too busy to care and yet feel so stressed because the weight gain is humiliating, none of my clothes fit and I can see it's a very clear signal that soemthing ISN'T working.

5 years ago I was down at a very low weight for my height- was eating extremely low carb and running was my job. 😜 I realized it wasn't maintainable but it was so awesome being in great shape and feeling so good!

Then I went back to school, DH lost his job (family business so very emotionally devastating as well as financially horrifying) and I had knee surgery. All in 9 months.

Now I'm a fluffy size 12/14 instead of a strong 4/6- my goal is to be a 10/12- which I've been most of my adult life.

I can objectively see how I gained the weight...and how I keep gaining. It's been very high stress the last 3 years with DHs job loss combined with a stint on Zoloft (I gained 20 pounds in a year) and I'm now working 25-30 hours a week... some nights and some Weekend hours. So often I skip meals. And I'm drinking more wine that I should- helps me relax.

I know how to do extreme diets but can't summon the energy for it and I have Celiac so already have to eat carefully. I am walking 2-3x a week- doing a half marathon with a friend next month (walking) Taking herbs for adrenal fatigue and to help with stress.

Diet is my issue. I can't seem to stop the slide and that's scary.

I feel if I had a very specific plan maybe I could just do it and not think or worry about 100 more decisions every day.

Thoughts?

I don't know how to change what's going on with my body. I've gone from a 4/6 to a 12/14 and am gaining weight without even realizing it. weekends.

I'm too busy to care and yet feel so stressed because the weight gain is humiliating, none of my clothes fit and I can see it's a very clear signal that soemthing ISN'T working.

5 years ago I was down at a very low weight for my height- was eating extremely low carb and running was my job. 😜 I realized it wasn't maintainable but it was so awesome being in great shape and feeling so good!

Then I went back to school, DH lost his job (family business so very emotionally devastating as well as financially horrifying) and I had knee surgery. All in 9 months.

Now I'm a fluffy size 12/14 instead of a strong 4/6- my goal is to be a 10/12- which I've been most of my adult life.

I can objectively see how I gained the weight...and how I keep gaining. It's been very high stress the last 3 years with DHs job loss combined with a stint on Zoloft (I gained 20 pounds in a year) and I'm now working 25-30 hours a week... some nights and some Weekend hours. So often I skip meals. And I'm drinking more wine that I should- helps me relax.

I know how to do extreme diets but can't summon the energy for it and I have Celiac so already have to eat carefully. I am walking 2-3x a week- doing a half marathon with a friend next month (walking) Taking herbs for adrenal fatigue and to help with stress.

Diet is my issue. I can't seem to stop the slide and that's scary.

I feel if I had a very specific plan maybe I could just do it and not think or worry about 100 more decisions every day.

Thoughts?

Did you read my long thread about my step son and weight watchers the other day? Some are very against it.but we signed him up and he is super excited.

Easy to do with gluten free....I have a good friend who is doing WW now and she is gluten free....and she has lost over 50 pounds. She is doing water arobics too.

• Like 2

I guess I would say...

Your body responded extremely well to low-carb.  You've done it before so re-adopting the lifestyle would be easier than learning a new system.  It's very celiac friendly.  You DON'T need to add in exercise unless you want to and have the energy for it.  It does not need to be thought of as "extreme".  It *is* extreme compared to a SAD, but meat and veggies isn't really *crazy* either.  I consider extreme diets to be things like the cabbage soup diet, only juice, that sort of thing.  

Your rapid weight gain may be your body's way of telling you that you are becoming insulin resistant.  You might want to get some blood tests run before anything else, and if insulin is a problem, you will be much more motivated to get back on the low-carb wagon.  

• Like 8

I just wanted to give you hugs. Have you looked into any other causes to make sure it is just stress? Stress and everything else can of course make you gain weight but thyroid disease is often found with Celiac disease as most thyroid disease is auto-immune. I'd want to rule that out first and I wouldn't trust a dr. to just say it is "fine." Dr's are notoriously ignorant on thyroid disease. 

I developed thyroid disease with my last pregnancy and have found that my weight has not been as easy to maintain as before. I packed on weight this fall when I got sick and my numbers went out of whack(TSH at 8.6), I'm still losing the weight from that, it is rather annoying. 

eta- Monica's thoughts on insulin is good as well. I did well on low carb before too and have found I don't do with higher carb diet(A1C an bg levels go up) but for me I can't do regular lc anymore either, it messes with thyroid hormone conversion, so straddle the line between higher and lower carb. My last A1C was lower than it had been since I developed thyroid disease so it must be working ok, we're all different though.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

I'm with PP, have some blood tests ran.  I was gaining weight even though I was eating healthier and exercising more, turns out extreme low vitamin D (9.9) and insulin resistance.  I've gained about 40 pounds but at least I've stopped the progression, now I'm trying to figure out how to lose it.  If I had known then (first signs were about 6 years ago) what I know now I'd have cut out most of my carbs and I'd have probably prevented this. 

I totally support getting a physical with your dr to determine whether everything is in order.

I also encourage you to chose a different tactic than simply weight loss goal, rather making a commitment for exercise and healthy eating for life.  Physical activity is so great for dealing with stress, which seems to be a big factor in your weight gain. Sure, you have to commit to carving out time to exercise in your busy schedule, but it's well worth the effort. If you can get your dh to join you in the exercising, it would be wonderful for you both.

All the best!

Good suggestions.

I DO know I don't tolerate carbs well at all! I loterally balloon when I eat them- like urging pregame act when DS, I gained 70 pounds because the only things I could tolerate were literally carbs. Except now I don't eat super high carb. Definitely below 100g most days. But I crave carbs like a crazy person.

We are self pay (Christian medical sharing plan) and struggling financially so any medical things need to be really essential not just checking.

THYROID: I just paid for a Thyroid panel 4 months ago- everything was normal range except for T3 uptake. I don't really have a great Dr for sleuthing things out nor the money to pay for it it anyway- at least not with so broad a scope.

A naturopath I had a consult with, thought I am late stage adrenal fatigue. I'm not so sure- seems like a catch all. Sure I would LOVE to have more energy- I feel so so tired yet wired. But I started taking Holy basil leaf and it has helped so much- so maybe she's right? I can occasionally have caffiene if I take calming supplements at the same time LOL

• Like 1

Good suggestions.

I DO know I don't tolerate carbs well at all! I loterally balloon when I eat them- like urging pregame act when DS, I gained 70 pounds because the only things I could tolerate were literally carbs. Except now I don't eat super high carb. Definitely below 100g most days. But I crave carbs like a crazy person.

We are self pay (Christian medical sharing plan) and struggling financially so any medical things need to be really essential not just checking.

THYROID: I just paid for a Thyroid panel 4 months ago- everything was normal range except for T3 uptake. I don't really have a great Dr for sleuthing things out nor the money to pay for it it anyway- at least not with so broad a scope.

A naturopath I had a consult with, thought I am late stage adrenal fatigue. I'm not so sure- seems like a catch all. Sure I would LOVE to have more energy- I feel so so tired yet wired. But I started taking Holy basil leaf and it has helped so much- so maybe she's right? I can occasionally have caffiene if I take calming supplements at the same time LOL

If your state allows it, order blood tests through the web first. It is cheaper and make sure you also get a vitamin D test. Then I would ask around for doctor recommendations. I always ask what the self pay rate is. If your gut is telling you someone else may be off, I would listen to it. You might want to look at the stopthethyroidmadness website. Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

I guess I would say...

Your body responded extremely well to low-carb. You've done it before so re-adopting the lifestyle would be easier than learning a new system. It's very celiac friendly. You DON'T need to add in exercise unless you want to and have the energy for it. It does not need to be thought of as "extreme". It *is* extreme compared to a SAD, but meat and veggies isn't really *crazy* either. I consider extreme diets to be things like the cabbage soup diet, only juice, that sort of thing.

Your rapid weight gain may be your body's way of telling you that you are becoming insulin resistant. You might want to get some blood tests run before anything else, and if insulin is a problem, you will be much more motivated to get back on the low-carb wagon.

This is so very helpful. You're right that I should not necessarily view low carb as extreme. Truth be told "I" was extreme and did ultra low carb/ketosis which means less than 25g per day. It doesn't have to be that severe. But I honestly don't know how to do it differently. Hence why I wish there was a magic menu. 😜

But it still daunting. I ate that way for years and after coming off the plan felt it was a relief to just eat and not worry so much. Since my Celiac diagnosis I really resist eating strictly- I'll be a special eater the rest of my life. Maybe I should explore that LOL

Good suggestions.

Please get an adrenal test. Thyroid and adrenals can play off of and affect one another. If you are that tired, listen to your doctor about the adrenals. Take your thyroid test to someone who will treat you optimally rather than adequately. Yes, to reading Stop The Thyroid Madness! You don't have to live with being so tired!

• Like 1

I have struggled with my weight for many years. I have Hashimotos and fibromyalgia, which don't make losing any easier. From experience, I know I also need an eating/exercise plan that I can do forever. I won't stick with anything extreme or anything that requires a lot of planning or tracking. I've followed the No S 'diet' for the last couple years. For me, it is the most sensible way to eat, and I can do it long term. Super easy, virtually no planning. No sweets, snacks, or seconds on days that don't start with an S. No sweets or snacks during the week naturally lowers my carb intake significantly. I've lost 28 lbs, and it's been a pretty easy experience. I've kept my activity level the same (walking 30-45 min, 5x/week).

• Like 4

Two tricks that have helped me a lot:

1.  I really question whether I'm hungry, and try hard to avoid eating at a specific time out of habit.

2.  When I feel hungry, I drink a tall glass of water and wait 15 minutes.  Sometimes I realize that I'm not hungry anymore.

Beyond that, what is working for me is counting calories on Myfitnesspal.com, usually not eating until lunchtime (YMMV, but in my case, once I start eating I'm intermittently hungry for the rest of the day so the later I start, the less I eat.), upping my step count (fitbit), and eating more chewy raw vegetables, which are very low cal but seem to trick my body into think it ate something substantial.

• Like 1

I've just been through this. I was gaining a pound every month and nothing seemed to stop it. I did try Myfitnesspal for 10 days and the scale didn't budge. In desperation I paid for Weight Watchers online (because I really do have to be desperate to pay). I lost two pounds the first week and over a pound each week since. So I've come down 7 in a month. 

There's nothing magic about it, just that the point system is heavily weighted towards fruit and vegetables. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the point system, but that Blizzard I had last Sunday was 30 points, a whole days worth of food! Oops. I had saved my weekly 35 points and that covered it. 

I am just relieved that the weight is coming off. I really thought something was wrong with me after having no results with Myfitnesspal. 

WW Online worked great for me until they made all their fruit 0 points.

Then the line wouldn't budge.  I did not have any way of gauging what a moderate amount of fruit was.

With myfitnesspal, I learned that fruit has a ton more calories than veggies.  Live and learn!  I must be the only person on the planet who can get fat on fruit.  

• Like 1

I must be the only person on the planet who can get fat on fruit.  

I'm right there with you. I have to be careful about eating apples, no more than 2 a week. I can have a banana every day but only 1. I used to be able to eat berries with no negative results until I reached my goal weight and then suddenly strawberries had a weight gain effect.

I seem to be able to eat all the carrots I want and since they are sort of sweet that seems to help a bit.

• Like 1

WW Online worked great for me until they made all their fruit 0 points.

Then the line wouldn't budge.  I did not have any way of gauging what a moderate amount of fruit was.

With myfitnesspal, I learned that fruit has a ton more calories than veggies.  Live and learn!  I must be the only person on the planet who can get fat on fruit.  

This is one of my biggest beefs with WW. I could go with fruit being low point but not zero! It adds up!

I mean a banana has about a hundred calories. If you add a bunch of bananas into your day, yes, it's healthier than a bunch of jelly beans, but it still HAS calories!

Edited by kiana
  • Like 2

I'm right there with you. I have to be careful about eating apples, no more than 2 a week.

I have an apricot tree.  The fruit is abundant, and it's only good for about 3 weeks per year.  And it's SO GOOD.  I can sit down and eat apricots, one after the other, like potato chips out of a bag, during those weeks.  Ahhh....

Are you saying that you're still gaining weight while eating 100g of carbs per day?  Or did you mean that you gained this weight while not counting carbs, and now you've started limiting to 100g per day?

Normally, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend going lower - especially since that worked for you in the past.  Being in a state of ketosis really reduces the appetite for carbs, so it can actually be easier for many people to go very low carb than to go medium carb.  And you might not necessarily have to go down to 25g of carbs per day again in order to achieve that.  The threshold for most people is around 60g per day.  For me personally it was actually about 70g.  But for some it can be less.

But, if you're possibly having adrenal and/or thyroid issues, I'm not sure ketosis would be the best option for you.  I'm not saying that it wouldn't, just that I don't know.  This goes beyond the limited scope of my knowledge!

I did a ketogenic diet for 12 years, and for most of that time, I loved it!  When I hit perimenopause, however, it became a disaster.  Ketosis has a big impact on various hormones.  Reducing insulin (a very important hormone) by that much does in turn affect sex hormones and thyroid hormones.  I'm not sure what effect it has on adrenals, but you might consider asking at Low Carb Friends or some other LC resource, googling "ketosis and adrenals", asking your doctor, etc.

• Like 4

How does a doctor determine insulin resistance?

My dad is a diabetic so i should know more...

The best way is a glucose tolerance test, but this isn't done very often because it requires the patient to hang around for a few hours and have blood drawn several times.

So, instead, I believe they usually look at A1c (5.7 or higher is considered indicative of a problem), fasting glucose levels (100 or higher indicates a problem), random non-fasting blood glucose levels (140 or higher indicates a problem), cholesterol (low HDL combined with high triglycerides indicates a problem), and/or waist circumference or waist-to-height ratio.  

In fact, I heard about a study recently which said that waist circumference (regardless of height) seems to be a very strong predictor of insulin resistance and heart disease risk.  It said that the threshold was 102cm for men and 88cm for women (I think that's about 40 and 34 inches respectively.)

But Dr. Jason Fung says he looks at waist circumference to height ratio, and that you want your waist to be no more than half of your height (same for both men and women).

Yes, ketogenic diet is bad for adrenals too, any extreme diet is, weight loss from an adrenal perspective should be slow and steady with nothing extreme so as to not add any extra stress on the body.

Ah, thanks Soror!  That makes sense.  

Something else my naturopathic doctor mentioned is that in general, fasting, cleanses, and reducing are a bit hard on your liver.  So if you have a tendency toward NASH, which is pretty common these days, then during a weight loss phase you want to eat a lot of protein to support your liver, and also olive oil to help with reduction of inflammation.  Milk Thistle is also really good for your liver, as are red cabbage and dark leafy greens.

I guess I would say...

Your body responded extremely well to low-carb.  You've done it before so re-adopting the lifestyle would be easier than learning a new system.  It's very celiac friendly.  You DON'T need to add in exercise unless you want to and have the energy for it.  It does not need to be thought of as "extreme".  It *is* extreme compared to a SAD, but meat and veggies isn't really *crazy* either.  I consider extreme diets to be things like the cabbage soup diet, only juice, that sort of thing.  

Your rapid weight gain may be your body's way of telling you that you are becoming insulin resistant.  You might want to get some blood tests run before anything else, and if insulin is a problem, you will be much more motivated to get back on the low-carb wagon.  

Yep.  It works so well for me.  I do completely understand the difficulty with sticking to it.  I don't see it as extreme at all.  BUT living in the real world with the diet is difficult.  Or I should say requires more effort than eating whatever, whenever, and however.  What's especially "easy" for me is I never feel starved. 

• Like 1

I am in similar situation. I did great with low carb for a few years and got to around a 4/6. Then it started creeping up. I would cheat a little here and there because it is hard to eat socially, etc. I made peace with gaining a little. Then we had unemployment stress, and a move. I ate alot of carbs while trying to save money and then I found when making new friends it was hard to decline pizza, a dessert someone offered, etc.

I was really determined to just eat in moderation but be able to eat a sandwich if I'm in a sandwich shop. Or have a slice of pizza. Well, here I am at a 14/16 and my highest weight ever.

Along the way I have tried about everything. Weight Watchers, fitness trackers, etc. Nothing ever worked like low carb did. So, I just now ate eggs for breakfast and I am attempting to get back to low carb. Ugh.

• Like 1

This is one of my biggest beefs with WW. I could go with fruit being low point but not zero! It adds up!

I mean a banana has about a hundred calories. If you add a bunch of bananas into your day, yes, it's healthier than a bunch of jelly beans, but it still HAS calories!

But bananas are very filling! Seriously I can rarely eat a whole one. It is a running joke with Dh and me.....I slice up half and leave half for Dh. ...

• Like 1

Counting calories has worked for me. I've lost 30 pounds since I started in January. I started as a size 12 and am now in 8's. I got a food scale on Amazon (about $10), and I just weigh my food and count calories. You can go online and use a ideal weight calculator that will tell you how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Then just create a deficit by eating less than that amount. If you're like me, you probably return to the same foods pretty frequently, so the counting part becomes pretty second nature. As far as eating out, wine or sweets, nothing is off limits, just make room for it in your calorie budget. And then when you get to your goal weight, eat at maintenance, again just stay within your calorie goal.

Are you saying that you're still gaining weight while eating 100g of carbs per day? Or did you mean that you gained this weight while not counting carbs, and now you've started limiting to 100g per day?

Normally, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend going lower - especially since that worked for you in the past. Being in a state of ketosis really reduces the appetite for carbs, so it can actually be easier for many people to go very low carb than to go medium carb. And you might not necessarily have to go down to 25g of carbs per day again in order to achieve that. The threshold for most people is around 60g per day. For me personally it was actually about 70g. But for some it can be less.

But, if you're possibly having adrenal and/or thyroid issues, I'm not sure ketosis would be the best option for you. I'm not saying that it wouldn't, just that I don't know. This goes beyond the limited scope of my knowledge!

I did a ketogenic diet for 12 years, and for most of that time, I loved it! When I hit perimenopause, however, it became a disaster. Ketosis has a big impact on various hormones. Reducing insulin (a very important hormone) by that much does in turn affect sex hormones and thyroid hormones. I'm not sure what effect it has on adrenals, but you might consider asking at Low Carb Friends or some other LC resource, googling "ketosis and adrenals", asking your doctor, etc.

5 of 7 days I'm below 100g carbs...weekends are generally more snacks so higher carb

YES going back into ketosis may be too much for my possible adrenal issues- maybe that's why my reaction is so negative. It's feels too harsh and intense for what I can handle.

I have wondered more than a few times of my endurance running (5 half marathons in 6 months) while in ketosis was ok at the time but did some damage when coupled with the unexpected long term stress that followed.

• Like 1

I am in similar situation. I did great with low carb for a few years and got to around a 4/6. Then it started creeping up. I would cheat a little here and there because it is hard to eat socially, etc. I made peace with gaining a little. Then we had unemployment stress, and a move. I ate alot of carbs while trying to save money and then I found when making new friends it was hard to decline pizza, a dessert someone offered, etc.

I was really determined to just eat in moderation but be able to eat a sandwich if I'm in a sandwich shop. Or have a slice of pizza. Well, here I am at a 14/16 and my highest weight ever.

Along the way I have tried about everything. Weight Watchers, fitness trackers, etc. Nothing ever worked like low carb did. So, I just now ate eggs for breakfast and I am attempting to get back to low carb. Ugh.

I understand. I really do. Its very surreal as I never thought I struggled with weight because I always stayed roughly the same.

I started low carb as more of elimination diet )discovered I had Celiac) but saw how quickly I could lose great while feeling fantastic. I wish it held more appeal now....

Maybe for some of us lowcarb is really the only weight management our bodies easily respond too- maybe because we are more sensitive to carbs in the first place?

• Like 1

LarlaB, your post is very timely for me.  I run several days a week and have been in a good running routine for about 10 years.  4 years ago I did my first Whole30 and had excellent results with weight loss.  I didn't change anything with my running schedule.  I have eaten mostly whole30/Paleo since then but bad habits / habits of convenience have crept in over the last year.  The last two years have been extremely stressful in my house...job losses, IL passing, my NPD mom, and more, the scale is creeping up.  Blood work has shown that my thyroid is not off, but B12 and Vit D have been low in addition to anemia and low Ferritin.  I suspect my adrenals are fatigued and there are days I just do not want to adult.  I'm rooting for you that you can find a plan to follow without negative affects on your health.  I dread getting dressed these days and running into friends I haven't seen in a while.  I can relate to so much of what you wrote.  Sending you hugs and encouragement!

• Like 1

5 of 7 days I'm below 100g carbs...weekends are generally more snacks so higher carb

YES going back into ketosis may be too much for my possible adrenal issues- maybe that's why my reaction is so negative. It's feels too harsh and intense for what I can handle.

I have wondered more than a few times of my endurance running (5 half marathons in 6 months) while in ketosis was ok at the time but did some damage when coupled with the unexpected long term stress that followed.

If it sounds too harsh and intense, then I say trust your instincts!  FWIW, my husband is also a runner, and he tried ketogenic diets a few times, but always gave up because of how badly it impacted his ability to exercise.  So maybe that combination is really rough.  (When I was ketogenic, I only exercised very lightly, so I have no first-hand experience with this.)

If it sounds too harsh and intense, then I say trust your instincts!  FWIW, my husband is also a runner, and he tried ketogenic diets a few times, but always gave up because of how badly it impacted his ability to exercise.  So maybe that combination is really rough.  (When I was ketogenic, I only exercised very lightly, so I have no first-hand experience with this.)

I read "the art & science of low carbohydrate performance" and it SO resonated with me, and worked.  Once you are keto-adapted (fully takes 2-4 weeks) you never run out of fuel when doing long distance running.  I never hit a wall, energy wise- it was pretty amazing.  Still challenging, but since the body is adapted to burn fat for fuel its so much more efficient and offers a seamless flow of energy.  If he's interested in reading more sometime- its awesome.    

• Like 1

LarlaB, your post is very timely for me.  I run several days a week and have been in a good running routine for about 10 years.  4 years ago I did my first Whole30 and had excellent results with weight loss.  I didn't change anything with my running schedule.  I have eaten mostly whole30/Paleo since then but bad habits / habits of convenience have crept in over the last year.  The last two years have been extremely stressful in my house...job losses, IL passing, my NPD mom, and more, the scale is creeping up.  Blood work has shown that my thyroid is not off, but B12 and Vit D have been low in addition to anemia and low Ferritin.  I suspect my adrenals are fatigued and there are days I just do not want to adult.  I'm rooting for you that you can find a plan to follow without negative affects on your health.  I dread getting dressed these days and running into friends I haven't seen in a while.  I can relate to so much of what you wrote.  Sending you hugs and encouragement!

THANK YOU so much for sharing.  It helps so much to hear that others know how I feel- especially with job losses, and an NPD family member (who instigated the job loss for DH).  Seriously- so comforting to know we aren't alone, and as a women I'm not the only one who has had major stress and creeping weight gain after being pretty healthy.  

I getting the hint that I should maybe do a few blood tests.  I may look into VitD & B12 level checks and the adrenal test.  I was anemic during pregnancy, but haven't ever checked that either. There has to be something fueling my lack of energy!  I don't think I'm depressed- just massively low energy. 

I'm going to try moderate low carb (50-70g) and just fully commit to it for 8 weeks (till my 41st birthday)

OP here....Thinking of committing to moderate LCHF (50-70g) and 1600-1800calories for 8 weeks- till my 41st birthday, with goal of losing 10 pounds.  I've never done a moderate low carb approach, so maybe it will help regulate me without feeling so intense.  Knowing that I can have ketchup occasionally and still be LC is a mind-bender. :)  I will still have to come up with meal plans as I'm just to busy and irregular with eating times.

I have a 1/2 marathon (am primarily walking, with a few running intervals) May 7 to factor in as well as two more 10-miler preparation walks.  Hoping to go slow and take it easy so as not to trigger a huge stress response on my body.  

• Like 1

I read "the art & science of low carbohydrate performance" and it SO resonated with me, and worked.  Once you are keto-adapted (fully takes 2-4 weeks) you never run out of fuel when doing long distance running.  I never hit a wall, energy wise- it was pretty amazing.  Still challenging, but since the body is adapted to burn fat for fuel its so much more efficient and offers a seamless flow of energy.  If he's interested in reading more sometime- its awesome.    

Funny that you mention that - I actually bought him that book!  But, he never read it.  

I'm glad it worked for you.  I don't remember how long he stayed in ketosis -- it wasn't all that long but it might have been as much as a month.  But he felt like he never got used to it, that his exercise performance dropped and wasn't recovering.  Perhaps it works better for some people than for others?