Menu

Need more help with my dream kitchen!

Miss Cornelia Snook

I need to decide if it's worth it to pay extra for a gas cooktop and double ovens.  Or just get a range.  I've only ever had a range, so I don't know what I may be missing with the cooktop/ovens option.  I do cook a lot (celiac makes it really hard to eat out, so home-cookin' is our only option).  But I'm not a big baker--just no time!

Which would you choose?

My mom has a gas cooktop and double wall ovens. It's really nice at holidays. It also breaks up the work space so that if something needs attention on the stove at the same time something needs to be done in the oven, you don't have to have people working practically on top of each other. We have a barely used basement kitchen in our house, so we have the full second stove when needed at the holidays. I wouldn't have put it in if the house didn't come with it though.

There are ranges that have two ovens. We have a basement kitchen with our old stove, so we have that for a 2nd oven. If I didn't have that, I'd want two ovens, absolutely.

You did ask for two dishwasher, right? :) I use my two dishwashers way more than double ovens. You could get an Instant Pot or a 30 qt roaster and make do without the 2nd oven. Not that I'm saying I'd want to, but there are ways. Priorities and all that. :)

Adding, I wouldn't want to give up counter surface for double ovens that are stacked. I would put them in a range or literally just bring your old stove and put it in the basement. Really, how often do you need that 2nd oven. Does it need to look swanky or just be there twice a year?

I don't know if you've come across the idea of deeper counters, but I have them and LOVE them. Love, love, love. You can make your cabs regular depth, pull out, and just make the counters deeper. Or you can make the cabs deeper if your company has that option. Don Silvers promotes it in his book Kitchen Design with Cooking in Mind

• Like 2

I love cooking on gas.  I'd choose that over almost anything.

Double ovens are a nice to have, especially at Thanksgiving/holidays....but IMHO, I can live without them most of the year.  

I love the idea of deeper cabinets, and as somebody whose kitchen is lacking in cabinets and has a very small pantry, I'd invest in those. 

• Like 1

At our cabin we have a single wall oven.  It's nice because it is at my arm level, and the door swings open sideways rather than down so it would be hard to lose your balance and fall onto the hot door.  I think that this will be increasingly valuable as we get older.

And we have a kitchen island in the great room that includes a cooktop, which I love.  It lets me interact with guests while cooking, in the manner of a cooking show host.  And it lets me access the burners from both sides, which is more convenient than I would have thought it would be.  The island is twice as long as the cooktop, so there is ample room for prepping and staging on the side of the cooktop.  Also, under that part is a warming oven drawer.  I had not realized that this was a thing, but have grown to really love it.  It is great for putting, say, a platter of cooked chicken thighs in while making the gravy or tossing the salad.  It has its own thermostat but doesn't get hot enough to use for baking.  I have thought of using it for yogurt, though.

I plan to order a big Boos butcher block table for the other side of the cooktop, to extend the working surface and also to improve it's functionality with something that I can cut or knead directly on.  I'm thinking of designing a marble top to fit over it for rolling out pastry dough, too, but I'm afraid it will be too hard to move on and off.  Possibly a crankdown chain structure would work the best.  

The only drawback to the cooktop is that I don't feel I can use the kitchen island as a place to sit and eat because of it.  But that is no great loss.  I can still serve from the side, buffet style, though.

I wish that I had a second oven.  The space under the cooktop is not used very well because it's a Jennair with the downward pulling exhaust fan, and I've thought about replacing the cooktop with a regular range and still keeping the wall oven also.  However, keeping cooking smells entirely controlled is crucial there because the kitchen is open to the living room/dining room and the master suite above it, and the Jennair does a better job of that than I have ever experienced with a hood, so I don't think I will make a change.

If I redo my kitchen at home, I hope to get another range but ALSO add a wall oven.  Two ovens would be great, and having one of them at arm level is better than I would have thought.

Gas, yes!!

And, while double ovens are nice, I LOOOOVED having one like this, except with a gas range. The smaller oven takes much less time to heat up, uses less energy, and is all I need about 80% of the time.  But then having the full size oven below it is good because obviously not everything fits in the top one.  That is what I'd do if I could design my own kitchen.  We had a nice Jenn-Aire one in a rental one time and it was sooo great.

Interestingly I've had gas for the last twelve years but I am finding I am tired of cleaning burners, and am looking to switch to an induction cooktop. I also have gotten tired of the temperature fluctuations in our gas oven. Ideally I'd like to have access to both type of ranges but who knows? I'd do a double wall oven myself, over a range, but they do make double ranges and they're not really difficult to find :)

I have an induction double oven range.  While I wanted a double oven it wasn't my first priority and so planned to by a different range, then I discovered the other range had a feature? that was a deal breaker (no rim so anything you boiled anything over on the stove it could run off three different edges) so we got this one.  I have to say I really really like the double ovens.  I use them a lot more than I thought.  But I have a large family so we go through large quantities of food.  It's great to bake two 16 inches pizzas at one time and have everyone be able to eat at once instead of everyone starting and scarffing the first pizza and then sitting around for the next one to get done.  It's nice to roast a chicken in one oven and roast veggies or potatoes in another oven.  Really anytime you want to cook things at different temperatures.

So while I "could" live without the second oven, I don't really want to anymore it just makes things so much more convenient.

• Like 1

I love having a gas cooktop and double ovens!!  I wouldn't want to do without them.  However, like OhElizabeth mentioned above, I have two dishwashers and I really love having them!  I thought I would just use them for entertaining when we moved here, but I use them all of the time.

It's nice to roast a chicken in one oven and roast veggies or potatoes in another oven.  Really anytime you want to cook things at different temperatures.

This is why I want a double oven, too.

I have a set of those Pampered Chef baking pans that enables me to bake up to three things at once for dinner in the single oven, but rarely do I want to bake 3 items at even close to the same temperatures.

Also, although I don't make desserts very often, when I do I surely would like to be able to bake more than one meringue crust at a time--putting two in the same oven changes the humidity enough to ruin both of them, but baking them in series, one hour each, takes forever.

Just moved from a house with a gas cooktop and double oven (whirlpool) to a house where we have remodeled to have a gas Viking range with griddle and a wall oven. It is AMAZING!! The Viking has higher power gas than our old cooktop so it heats so quickly. We are loving the griddle even more than expected (and we had grand expectations). Grilled cheese tastes way better on it than in a pan--not sure why but wow. And cleanup is a breeze. Nothing sticks so just scrape crumbs off and it's good to go for the next run. We like having a wall oven because it is higher than leaning down for the one on the range. In our old house the lower oven was most often used as an art drying rack but it was great when we needed 2 for a big dinner or party. We all cook though, kids included. We got all of our appliances for a steal at New Years time at Best Buy--"open box" price plus an additional 20% off. They had been displays or returned or something. Including tax and 5 year extended warranties we only spent about $6k for all--including fancy 36" wide Samsung French door fridge, high end kitchenaid pro dishwasher, wall oven, AND 36" Viking range. They are all stainless but brands vary so not matchy matchy. If you time the appliance purchases right they can be within reach. Only thing, the Viking required a bigger gas line from the meter so that was an additional cost. Be sure to look into those details.

I have a gas cooktop/double oven combo and hate it. The cooktop is the biggest PITA to clean that I've ever had. I don't think I have ever been able to clean it to a point where I was satisfied that it was actually, thoroughly clean. It's also super expensive to change out. I want to replace it with induction but it is so much $$. It would be half as much to replace a range. My double ovens are also not my friends. I'm short, and it's really hard to get some of the heavy things out of the top one, but the top one is the best one. The lower one doesn't maintain it's temp well when the top is running either. Both of mine are much narrower than a regular range oven. They also take up more cabinet space. 

I wish I had an induction range with a double oven. 

Edited by Paige

Look at a double oven range, with either gas or induction cook top.

We used to have a wall oven but I love our double oven range. As mentioned up thread the top one is smaller but heats quickly and has plenty of room for casseroles or cookie sheets but the bigger one is always there when needed.

Wall ovens are great but expensive to fix/replace and tend to have more issues than a well built range.

I love having double wall ovens and a separate cooktop. It's much less hot to stand at the stove and cook. I can keep an eye on things in the oven more easily, and it's easier to get heavy stuff in and out. Both ovens are full size I believe. We had a rental with a stupid smaller oven, and our sheet pans didn't fit.

And yes, my dream kitchen will have two dishwashers. In my head planning, one is regular and one has the two drawers so you could wash just a load of glasses or just a load of plates. Or wash 1.5 loads. Or...

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 1

Yes to gas! One side benefit to gas ranges is there are ring stands that fit right on the burner. No more Bunson burners for science experiments. Lol. Seriously, so much easier to get a precise temperature.

Get two full size double ovens. At Thanksgiving, there is one for the turkey and the other with shelves for all the casseroles.

• Like 2

Am I the only person who has no need for a second oven? We don't really entertain, and every big holiday meal we grill the meat outside (no matter the weather). I can't imagine ever needing a second oven, so for me I would put that money elsewhere. Now a wall oven I could appreciate just for the ergonomics of transferring contents in and out at an appropriate height. And I love cooking with gas. We replaced our malfunctioning builder basic range with a Samsung that has one large oven (can do 3 levels of cookie sheets) and cast iron grates that cover the whole top surface, so very easy to set pots anywhere on it. And easy to remove grates to clean the top surface. I love it. I suppose it's not super high-end, but it's so much better than the whirlpool we had before!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung-30-in-5-8-cu-ft-Slide-In-Gas-Range-with-Self-Cleaning-Convection-Oven-in-Stainless-Steel-NX58H9500WS/205336823

• Like 2

I really like my double oven for storing things. I've never used both at the same time. Actually, it has only been used for baking the x-mas ham. otoh, my countertop Cuisinart Chef convection over gets used several times a week.

Just don't store bagged bread in there and preheat the wrong oven.

:o

I grew up with double ovens in both our tract homes (1962 and 1974 vintages) and don't know why double wall ovens aren't just standard.  To be able to bake cookies or a cake while a roast or turkey is cooking too at a lower temp is great and I miss it.  Easter,. for example, I have hubby grilling the butterflied, marinated boneless legs of lamb outside so my oven is free...but if I want oven-roasted veggies when do I bake the rolls?  If you can swing getting a double oven, do so.   I grew up with electric stovetops, too - have had only gas burners since moving to Illinois and LOVE them. 

Oh, and it could be below freezing and snowing but come Thanksgiving hubby has to slowly smoke grill the bird outside in the Weber so I can use the single oven. Same at any holiday. 

Edited by JFSinIL

We built two years ago and put in a gas cooktop and double ovens.  I've been enjoying having double ovens.  It's nice to stick desert in one and the main dish in the other.  There have been quite a few times I've had them both going at the same time.

The gas cooktop has been nice also.  I've been happy with my choices.  

• Like 1

I don't know about gas. I've never cooked on one except at my parent's house and it seems like a bit of a learning curve. 

I bake a LOT and I've never felt any real need for two ovens. During holidays, crock pots work well for warming or keeping warm foods that might otherwise go in the oven. Yesterday I was slow roasting three chickens and my bread was ready to bake. I pulled the chickens out, increased the heat and baked the bread for thirty minutes and then stuck the chickens back in. It was fine, and more energy efficient. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter

I love having double ovens and a separate cooktop, although I cannot speak to gas, having only had electric. I replaced my double wall,ovens last Christmas because I had been down to one working oven for a long while. I really love having the double ovens when we have people over (I was actually trying to get them by Christmas because it was so many people we were feeding) but it didn't come in time).

I personally like having my cooktop in the island because I don't like facing the wall while I cook. I think that trend is no longer "in," though, but I would still do it if we built again.

if you have the budget - absolutely worth.

gas cooktops are fabulous if you really like to cook.  tremendous control.  consider the btus'.  a grate that goes all the way across is much more convenient when sliding pans across. 

but baking is better in an electric oven.

wall ovens come in single or double.  wall ovens are narrower than range ovens - but if you get the 'biggest' you can get one as wide.

if you do a lot of baking /entertaining where you've constantly got different stuff in and out - double is very handy.  otherwise a single wall oven is fine.

also - frameless cabinets will allow more usable space - as opposed to lost/wasted space in the gap between cabinets. same thing with drawers.  you get a lot more useable space - and far less wasted space.

Edited by gardenmom5

A cheaper option may be to put two gas ranges side by side. It looks so high end in this kitchen!

http://www.chrislovesjulia.com/2015/09/idaho-home-full-kitchen-reveal.html

But, that's what, 12 burners?

I would never ever do that.

I'd want variety.

A wok station, maybe.

A griddle for sure. 

Not a vast expanse of 12 burners. 

Or maybe this, my dream stove, in blue with brass of course:

http://lacornue.com/en/products/cookers/cornufe/cornufe-110/

If I understand this correctly the center burner has areas of varying heat so you can move pots around instead of messing with the controls if you want them to cook more slowly or more quickly, instantly.  That appeals to my sense of artistry, but I have never actually tried one.  And note the double ovens.  :)

Look at the ranges that have a full oven and a half oven. It's a game changer, but takes less space and is a lot less expensive. I use both ovens more than I thought I ever would, but I've never wished they were both full sized. I use the half oven most of the time because most things fit in it and it preheats faster.

I'm the main cook in my family and dream kitchens ARE beautiful and great for resale, but some of them have the work areas so spread out that it would add extra steps to every move I make. That's not quality of life for me. If you are super efficient in your kitchen, make sure you don't lose that in a remodel. I feel strongly that that work triangle has to be best for the person who is working there the most and everyone else can suck it up.

• Like 1

All I need to be happy is GAS.

That said, I'd go with two full ranges and two dishwashers (one of them a half-and-half drawer model so you can do just breakfast dishes or just pots and pans).  I'd do two ranges because they will be easier to swap out when one inevidibly breaks down.  That, or a double-wide single one.

If I had to choose, I'd get two dishwashers rather than two ovens.  Put one dishwasher near the cooking area for pots and pans, and the other near the eating area (or the dish storage area) for plates and bowls and such.