Menu

Is anyone else ridiculous about having new items?

StaceyinLA

I sold my older Yukon XL a few months back. I wanted to downsize and I wanted something new with all the "gadgets." I definitely downsized to something that is really almost too small (Chevy Trax), though I do enjoy driving it.

However, we live on a gravel road, and it seriously drives me INSANE that it's always dirty. I've washed it like 5 times in 2 weeks. I can't stand the idea of it starting to look "used." The inside looks like it did the day I drove it off the lot. I have weathertek mats in it and I keep half a towel on mine so it doesn't get dirty. I just want it to stay looking like new.

The same with other items that I spend a good bit of money on. I either don't wind up using them as much as I could because I'm afraid of messing them up, or I'm ridiculously careful when I do.

Honestly, I'm looking for a used car now that is older, bigger and more of a rugged vehicle so I won't care as much if it is dirty. I don't think I'll ever buy a new car again.

Is anyone else like this, or is it just me?

Edited by StaceyinLA

I used to be uptight about this, and still have the occasional twinge, but I have relaxed quite a bit. I drive what I drive because of size, reliability, etc. The vehicle I drive has straight line depreciation, so there's no point in avoiding buying new. It's how I can best control maintenance. I am a bit psycho about regular maintenance. I like to buy new and then drive it into the ground. I am disappointed if I can't get 15 yrs and 200k miles out of a vehicle.

• Like 4

I used to be very much like that, wanting to take super duper good care of everything. But I got tired of my things essentially owning me instead of me owning them, so I got over it. I still of course try to take care of things within reason. But I don't drive myself nuts about it.

• Like 8

I've never owned a new vehicle. When the kids were little, I pretty much gave up the battle on keeping our minivan looking nice and just did the best I could to keep it from getting trashed. However, now that my kids are older (tween and teen), I am much more persnickety about keeping my newer used car in very good condition. 

We have almost everything used, except I want to have a vehicle that I can rely on.  I drive a lot, and drive in bad weather, and am often on roads in the middle of nowhere.  My husband cannot help due to his disability.  So after the last breakdown on the side of the ride at night during a snowstorm, I actually decided the opposite:  I will never NOT have a new vehicle again.  Gadgets aren't important to me though.  I just want a car I know will not break down on me.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

I can tend to be this way but it is important not to resist aging and use. The ownership of things is for the purpose of enjoying them. Of course you want to take readonable care of your things, especially expensive things that you want to last. But you don't want to reduce your enjoyment of things for anxiety that it will not stay "perfect."

• Like 3

When I got my new van I took amazing care of it and cleaned it all the time. Then we took a road trip in it. Now I can barely be bothered to take all the junk out of it :-p  It feels nice to have that one thing that hasn't been completely taken over by kids yet, so I think that is why I was so attached to keeping it nice. The reality is, I can't have nice things. (it is not even just the kids, DH is just as bad at breaking things). It is something to work on spiritually :)

• Like 3

Well in my dreams I would do this. Dh is Iike this and I grew up around a relative who was this way, and I find it extremely stressful. The things seem more important than the person. Dh tried this with our new cars, and does follow through with his personal vehicle, but with mine I have to just let it go. I have a toddler. Toddler needs snacks in the car and he throws cheerios. It's a fact. I did get the weather tech mats and also got a paint color that doesn't show dirt as much. I really wanted a used car, but the features we wanted weren't easily available. I do love used stuff.

ETA clarity....I wish I could be one of those people who are able to keep things clean and shiny. I admire their stuff. But I'm too clumsy and messy myself to manage it :).

Edited by MotherGoose
  • Like 1

My dad has a story about this from before I was born. He once (just barely) hit a fairly expensive shiny new sports car while driving in Paris. So, the guy jumps out of his car, and my dad is all worried, and the guy thanks him because now he can just drive his fancy car instead of having to worry about damaging it. 

• Like 5

I bought a new vehicle almost 14 years ago, and treated it like a precious jewel for about 6 months, then like a responsible person for about another 6 months, then we just went ahead and lived like pigs.  :tongue_smilie:  (At that point, I had two toddlers and a 5yo.)

I bought a new vehicle just over 2 years ago.  That one got the very special treatment for a whole year! And decent treatment for another year. These past couple of months have not been kind to it.

I wish I could have protected my new couch that long!

• Like 3

OMG! Are we the same person? We downgraded from a Chevy Tahoe to a Trax 6 weeks ago! :)

I absolutely LOVE mine! It's Graphite colored and oh my, it gets so dirty! I have been washing it on average of 2x a week.  Fortunately the dealership we bought our's from has an automatic carwash on site and one of the perks of purchasing it was that I can use the car wash as much as I want for free!!!

My current car is the first one I ever bought new. The second time I gassed it up, I accidentally dinged the driver's door against a concrete barrier next to the gas pump. That cured any impulse to treat it as pristine.

If anything, I was happy to have a coat of dust make it less obvious it was new. Part of my brain worries that "new" equals "break into me please."

• Like 1

Not an issue here, since we will never be able to afford a new car.  ;)

Dh is a bit fanatical about how his car looks. Nevermind that it is 18 years old with 220K miles, has been in several accidents and is probably going to die this year. It does still look nice. He washes it, keeps it clean inside etc. 

My husband's dad was like that, it really shaped his childhood in some way.  His dad is dead now and mostly when they talk about him it is (gently, humorously) talking about how super uptight he was about his cars.
That's not the legacy I want to leave!

• Like 2