Menu

Garam Masala

Liz CA

My favorite chicken tikka masala recipe from Food and Wine magazine.

How did you come by it, if you didn't buy it?   :-)

I did buy it from the bulk section at our local market. Should have written "I bought some."  :)

I had read about it somewhere (already forgot where) and all I remembered was that the author of the article was very enamored with it and recommended it - but now I don't know for what dish she used it.

It does make sense that it goes with Indian dishes. The smell reminds me of curry, turmeric-type seasoning.

• Like 1

I need to find some of that. I've wanted to make my own Masala for a long time

One of the links had a recipe how to make your own Garam Masala:

Ingredients

3 tablespoons cardomom seeds

3" cinnamon stick

1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds

1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns

1/2 teaspoon cloves

1/4 of a nutmeg

Method

Grind spices together until pulverized. Store in a tightly closed container.

• Like 3

I warm avocado oil in a pan then heat a mixture (sorry no measurements) of mostly garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika, a smaller amount of garam masala, red curry, ans salt (I might toss in a bit of turmeric and pepper).  After the y become fragrant (careful not to burn) I add in veggies, then cooked chicken (or lentils if it's for DD) once it cooked to about done I add in coconut cream (so the cream part of coconut milk, not the water) or if it's for DS he like cream cheese.  I serve over rice or lentils.  I could eat this every day.... I like to top with GF fried onions from aldi's (better than french's).

• Like 1

Indian potato roast:

Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Stir fry some diced onion in oil, add some cooked and peeled potatoes cut into one inch pieces, add salt to taste and 1-2 teaspoons of garam masala. Roast this on medium flame for 5 minutes or until the potatoes crisp to your liking. Add more oil or butter if you like. This is the simplest dish that I make with it.

Some variations to the above, if you like being creative:

1. you can add some cumin seeds to the oil, wait for them to sizzle before you add the onion.

2. You can add some chopped cilantro to it for seasoning after you turn off the flame and remove the dish to a serving plate

3. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne along with the garam masala (turmeric is for color, cayenne is for spiciness)

4. Add 1 cup of frozen green peas to make it a potato-green peas curry

5. Add 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste along with the onions.

• Like 3

One of the links had a recipe how to make your own Garam Masala:

Ingredients

3 tablespoons cardomom seeds

3" cinnamon stick

1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds

1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns

1/2 teaspoon cloves

1/4 of a nutmeg

Method

Grind spices together until pulverized. Store in a tightly closed container.

Have you ever tried making it yourself?  I have a spice grinder, but I'm afraid I would kill it trying this.  I have a mini food processor, but I am not convinced it would work in there either.

I made this two days ago, because of this thread, and have been eating it up.  It's wonderful!  It wasn't difficult, though I made a lot of dirty dishes.

This reminded me.  Once, instead of broiling the chicken, we grilled it.  That made it even better. 

• Like 1

Have you ever tried making it yourself?  I have a spice grinder, but I'm afraid I would kill it trying this.  I have a mini food processor, but I am not convinced it would work in there either.

I make mine in the vitamix using the dry food jar and it turns out great. If you are making small amounts, any coffee grinder works great - only thing is that your coffee will smell of garam masala even with good cleaning - so, I used to have a dedicated coffee grinder for spices before I bought a vitamix.

• Like 1

I use my Black and decker coffee grinder (I don't drink coffee any more) to do all my dry spices,including cinnamon, just make sure the pieces are coffee bean size or smaller.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 2