Menu

How do you travel with kids?

lovinmyboys

We are in Europe for a few months. So far things are going well, but I want to make sure we are making the most of this possibly once in a lifetime opportunity.

So far when we have taken weekend trips, we have split up sightseeing with child friendly activities. When we went to Paris we did the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, etc but also did Disneyland Paris and some playgrounds. In Brussels we went to a water park.

Maybe it is just my kids, but they get tired of seeing castles, churches, and waterfalls. They do great while we are there, but I don't know that I could push them more.

We still have some time left before we head back home, so I am looking for ways to do meaningful travel and also make it good for my kids ages 4-10.

I feel like my kids favorite part has been playgrounds and ropes courses.

Edited by lovinmyboys

I traveled with my kids when they were about those ages. And yes, they thought the kid-friendly stuff was the best part! But, they remembered many of the other things also, and then there was a foundation to build on for later trips/discussions/etc.

What I always did was alternate days: museum one day, kid activity the next. And the museum day always included something the kids liked, an ice cream or treat, or being sure to look at something the kids would enjoy - I remember spending time looking at dollhouses in the Rijksmuseum. Also, I had to remember that the kids' museum appetites were much smaller than mine! Fortunately, my husband was usually with me and what would usually happen is that we would go into the museum as a family and look at things until my dh and dc were done - then dh would take them to the gift shop and then maybe outside for ice cream or a park or whatever, leaving me to indulge my museum inclinations as much as possible.

My two cents is that it sounds as if you are doing exactly the right thing. "Pushing" them is not going to have good results!

Anne

• Like 1

We traveled a lot with our kids and found that at some point, they simply could not take any more sights or castles or museums or hikes. They were done. 

At that point, they needed time to process and just be - so lots of unstructured outdoor time, parks, playing by a creek; nothing high stimulation like water parks or amusement parks. 

When we spent extended periods of time in Europe, it was important to have rhythm and quiet. A structured day with predictable schedule helped.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

We have traveled extensively with our children.  When they were your children's ages, we went to a lot of zoos.  They spent a lot of time playing in parks.  We tried to seek out local playgrounds.  We went to local swimming pools. Some castles are more children friendly to visit than others.  We also checked out children's activities in museums.  Although my children did not speak the local language, they often found ways to communicate with the local children, and the staff would usually be young people who spoke excellent English.  If there was something more adult that DH or I really wanted to see that was not going to be child friendly, we would split up for a few hours.  We also tried to balance familiar comfort food with trying local dishes and restaurants.

Although my children do not remember every castle, cathedral, or piece of art they saw, I think they benefited immensely from what they experienced.  At that age, they are willing to immerse themselves in the culture much more than most teens are willing to do.  They will learn that there is a favorite soda they can get in France, they can't get in the US.  They will learn about using public transportation.  They will learn about playground equipment that isn't available in the US.   

• Like 4

That is true. Even on days we just play the playground, the kids have still learned things. They know that European playgrounds are more fun than any around our house. They learned they need to ask for still water to drink. They know about German quiet hours. Sometimes I feel like we "waste" a day, but they need downtime. And they are still experiencing a different culture. I was hoping they might pick up more German, but I think they kind of tune it out and talk to each other (although they probably have learned 100 words in German so they are learning enough to barely communicate).

Our rule of thumb is one morning activity and one afternoon activity. We try and balance it out so that both activities aren't museums or historical sites or something less appealing to kids. We make sure to build in more snack breaks than we would on our own. And we always makes sure to allow for free-range time...a playground or park or just running around on the grounds outside a museum (if allowed). 

We went to Paris last fall with our kids (age 7-13). My husband had previously downloaded some tours onto our phones and it was surprising to me how much they enjoyed listening to those. It also made things like standing in line more bearable. My oldest son loved listening to the Eiffel Tower tour and kept us entertained with all sorts of random facts about it the rest of the week. My daughter (age 7) surprised me by really liking Rick Steves' tour of the Louvre. It gave her things to look for instead of just being overwhelmed.

We also went to Paris with our oldest when he was 15 months and ended up spending almost all our time in playgrounds and outdoor spots. We had been once before as a couple and each of us had been alone and we agreed later that in many ways the trip with our toddler was the best one. We felt like we met more Parisians and experienced the culture more than when we were just tourists. 

• Like 4

Remember that you are there for a couple of months.  The need for downtime and the pace you keep is different than if you are trying to see as much as possible in a week.  

I would also ask the kids for suggestions of what they would like to do.  The oldest is probably old enough to look at brochures and help plan out the day.  

• Like 1

I alternate a grown-up activity (museum/fancy coffee shop) with a kid one (zoo/marionette show).

I also had to learn not to be disappointed by them not matching my enthusiasm and being somewhat blasé about things I and most other adults had waited a long time to experience.

• Like 1

My kids have whined "I hate sightseeing" more than I'd like to admit.  :P  But when we are actually doing the sightseeing, they tolerate it pretty well.

We try to break it up with kid-friendly stuff, e.g., using the local playgrounds, swimming in the hotel pool, grabbing an ice cream or local sweet at a shop.

Walking as much as possible seems to help.

When we are on a walking tour and the guide stops to explain the history of this or that, the kids sometimes whip out some fun thing they have brought with.  For example, in Ukraine they would draw "tattoos" on each other during the memoirs of this or that war.

• Like 1

Maybe look into sights that the "native" families do for fun with their young kids. You'd see a completely different aspect to the typical tourist sights. Go a little off the beaten path and you'll perhaps see more of the culture of the day instead of the culture of the past.

What ever you do, it sounds like an amazing experience for your family!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I think you just always remember to alternate. And to plan in treats. After we finish the castle, we'll get a fancy cookie. And not to be insulted or take it personally. Like when my children thought the lame, tiny playground next to Notre Dame was more exciting than Notre Dame. Or when they thought the trampolines near the Louvre were more exciting than the Louvre. Really, it's all good.

• Like 2

We like a mix. Walking, riding, museum, park, landmark, swimming pool. Sounds like you are doing a good balance.

Like others, some of our favourite trips have been with kids, because they've caused us to slow down, be outside, and enjoy the atmosphere of the place we're visiting.

• Like 2

We work together to find things that each of us especially wants to do and try to make that happen. If the kids get to have a say in the program for the day/week/whatever it makes doing things that maybe aren't at the tip top of the list easier to deal with because they know that they get to do at least one thing that they've chosen as well. Playgrounds help, as do special treats. We are more into experiencing a place than running to every tourist site, so that cuts down on the stress considerably. We also have no problem scrapping plans entirely if it seems like DS needs that.

• Like 1

The night before show them the map of the mueseum/castle. Let each kid pick something they want to see and make sure you see it! Tell them a story about what they are going to see and relate it to their life somehow. Assign the kids artwork (not what they picked out but something else) to take a picture of, or if no pictures allowed, to do a sketch in your family journal.

Start the morning off very active - go to the park -run around, etc...

Spend one hour looking and talking and then take a break go to the cafe or just regroup. Then go back and do another hour. (You will NEVER complete the Louvre!) If you are lucky, you can take a long lunch break and try to squeeze in another hour. Then head outside and let them loose! I liked to gather them together and look through our pictures and have them recall what they saw and what they thought in the afternoon (think afternoon tea time).

I treasure our family time in museums both in the US and Europe. I have teens now....and I can tell you little kids are better than teens with cell phones!

• Like 2

They are totally way more exciting and you know you would have bounced on them too if there weren't an age limit! ;)

It was more that they cost money. ;)

You know, this made me think of another thing I've really appreciated about traveling with kids that was especially evident on that trip to Paris when my kids were little... Sometimes we don't get to do all the adult things we want to do, but we did get to do things most people don't get to do at all because we have kids with us. Like, on that trip, we saw a French puppet show and to a children's museum and a French amusement park (not Disneyland Paris, a local one in the Bois du Bologne). And those were kind of cool experiences. Like, the puppet show had pyrotechnics. The amusement park was really neat and we were probably some of the only non-French tourists there that day. The woman who did the introduction at the children's museum was clearly like, good grief, non-French people, mon dieu! But that's kind of cool. Having kids lets you see sides of a place you wouldn't see otherwise.

• Like 5

I think you just always remember to alternate. And to plan in treats. After we finish the castle, we'll get a fancy cookie. And not to be insulted or take it personally. Like when my children thought the lame, tiny playground next to Notre Dame was more exciting than Notre Dame. Or when they thought the trampolines near the Louvre were more exciting than the Louvre. Really, it's all good.

Ha! We stayed near Notre Dame last fall and my kids loved that playground. 

• Like 2

We like to do outdoor things as much as possible, and if we do go inside a building, we keep it short. No or very few guided tours with kids those ages (which means choosing the right castles). Finding friends to go with helps a lot (but that's not always possible if you're just there for a short time). And change your expectations. Sitting in the playground next to Notre Dame and reading a book set in Paris while your kids play is not a bad thing. :)

• Like 3

Our kids are old enough now to more or less enjoy similar things as my husband and I, but as others have said, when they were younger their presence got us doing things we might not have done on our own, that turned out to be excellent, like tooling around in paddle-boats in the local park, or going to the local movie theater, or rock-climbing wall, etc.

Some activities that we try to get to whenever we can while traveling:

- cooking class (we've done this with kids from ~7 years on up)

- local art / craft class 

- religious service (which often turns into an invitation to a shared meal)

- renting bikes

- boat rides of various sorts, the more utilitarian the better

I'm rather fond of finding a local yoga class but for some reason no one ever wants to join me, lol.

• Like 1

Yes, my kids loved the trampolines near the Louvre (and the playground by Notre Dame). My 10yr old would say his favorite thing was playing catch near the Eiffel Tower. So, I guess what I am wondering is just being in Paris enough? I mean we have a trampoline in our backyard. We went to the Luxembourg Gardens and the kids played on the playground while I read a book. It was enjoyable, but part of me is thinking I could read anywhere. I'm afraid I will get home and think why didn't we go do something else rather than jump on trampolines and read books.

Edited by lovinmyboys

Two things that make the memories stick are books about the area, preferably picture books, and lots of photos. I would read the picture book ahead of the visit, then again after the sightseeing. Then save photos of the same places with the child playing or standing there. Or glue in printed photos for a keepsake!

• Like 1

I do think it's enough to just be there. At those ages, your kids aren't going to remember most of the trip, but they'll know you went and remember if they had fun or not. Running to all the sites or trying to get through a checklist can be a great way to travel, but sometimes you just need to buy crepes at the Eiffel Tower and let the kids run around a bit instead of dealing with the hassle of going up. Actually, my travel enjoyment is heavily dependent on food which is something everyone can get behind. :)

In other words, you're not just doing what you could do at home if you're eating, reading, and seeing new things that are special to the place you're in, even if the kids aren't always impressed or if you don't get to do all the things a tourist ought to do.

• Like 2

My kids were actually really good travelers/sight-seers at that age - unfortunately, I can't say the same any more...

I did try to make the whole day kid-friendly. In London for example we didn't spend all day (or even most of it)in one museum but only about 2 hours at a time.

Example of a couple of days in London when my kids were around that age:

We went to the British Museum for a couple of hours and did one of the Backpack adventures they have for families/kids. Then we went to Covent Garden and watched the performers a bit. After that we went to see the Lion King musical and then went out to eat pizza. Back to the hotel (we must have had lunch too but I think we just got something to go).

Rode a Hop-on-Hop-off bus to the Tower. Looked at the crown jewels and walked around a bit (skipped the guided tours as they would have been too long/scary). Then took a boat back to our hotel and walked around a bit there.

Made a quick visit to the Natural History Museum and then to the Science Museum. In the Science Museum we only went to the kids/family area. Then on to a nice playground in Hyde Park and a short visit at Harrods.

In London we (well, at least I) really enjoy Treasure Trails. You could possibly make something similar yourself for other destinations. Having a sort of "treasure hunt" might make it more fun?

So I think I tried to make visits short/concentrate on the fun/child-friendly aspects of them and alternated different activities. I also tried to avoid anything very crowded/"boring". We had a day in Florence and all we did was to climb the tower next to the cathedral for the views (and a quick look at the cathedral's outside) and a visit to the small and child-friendly Da Vinci museum.

Generally, the strategy worked quite well but as I said before now (at 14 and 12) they are not very interested any more. Also one of my kids has no memories of anything which is pretty frustrating.

• Like 1

I went to Europe when I was 14 to visit family. I didn't care for the castles and museums. My cousin took me to a Picasso exhibit I wish I could see now. I had zero interest at the time. What I enjoyed was seeing how people lived. The grocery store, the neighborhood bike bath, the indoor pool that required swim caps. I learned that some people use butter as a spread on their sandwich, backyard gardens were extremely common, the bread is amazing, milk comes in bags, the washing machine is also the drier, European tea is much tastier, etc. I learned a lot about a different culture but not a lot of history. I think there is often more value in that.

• Like 1

My children are fairly well-traveled, as we make travel a priority. We leave for a trip to Europe on Friday :)

We just make sure we plan downtime for casual walks, playgrounds, and plenty of ice cream stops. We try to rotate busier days with slower pace days, and try to make sure we include mostly things that they will want to do. Nothing ruins a visit, for me, like my kids moaning and groaning because they dont want to be there. And I'm not ashamed to admit we pull out bribes when needed ;)

OP, what an amazing opportunity! I'm insanely jealous! Sounds like you are doing great!