Menu

???s About AG Dolls

Heathermomster

I'm curious whether anyone here collects AG dolls or allows their children to play with them?

Some of my best friends and homeschooling mentors collected the historical dolls and used them for history with their girls.

I purchased a Truly Me doll for DD's 7th birthday and then picked up Leah Clark for DD's 9th birthday. We picked up the violin a year ago because DD started playing and loves the instrument. I also came across an OG microscope that I purchased and asked DH to make an AG sized Ikea Galant desk that matches our daughter's. The desk looks great. DH made her a bed last year too. I made DIY flower seed packets and various books for Christmas. I was thinking about possibly making a rocketry set, drop spindle, and possibly some knitting/weaving looms, and needles. My DD likes to craft,

I must admit that looking at the Leah doll disappointed me a bit. I then started thinking about sewing the Truly Me doll clothes to match my DD and maybe using a bookmaking set to create a story based upon my DD's interests and friends. DD could write her own story or make a new one up.

Has anyone done this? Do you use the dolls in any way for school? Just curious...

I **think** I'm more interested in the crafting and bookmaking aspect rather than teaching history.

Edited by Heathermomster

I have 4 daughters and they have collected almost 25 American dolls and countless outfits and accessories.

I don't use them specifically for school, but the girls read the historical books. We have them all. I didn't know there was an AG microscope. I need that.

We have Josifina's loom, but I wish they made a drop spindle and even a spinning wheel.

In the last 20 years since we have been buying AG stuff, there seems to be fewer historical accessories and more modern ones. I am glad I bought so many historical items before they were discontinued.

• Like 4

I have 4 daughters and they have collected almost 25 American dolls and countless outfits and accessories.

I don't use them specifically for school, but the girls read the historical books. We have them all. I didn't know there was an AG microscope. I need that.

We have Josifina's loom, but I wish they made a drop spindle and even a spinning wheel.

In the last 20 years since we have been buying AG stuff, there seems to be fewer historical accessories and more modern ones. I am glad I bought so many historical items before they were discontinued.

I like the "need" part of your statement.

Yeah, the microscope came from Target.  I forgot about the math set, but I purchased that too. 

The AG stuff is expensive, and I can't stop looking at it.  I have spent some time trying to figure out how to make a stomacher dress on Saturday.  

My DD has read the Samantha books and the Leah Clark that came with her doll.  

• Like 1

Both dds have AG historical dolls.  They also collected the Elsie Densmore dolls when they were available.  The hair on the dolls is what I would call, "fragile."  It needs special care and treatment.  You need to know what you can and what you can't do with it.  The dolls are displayed now that dds are teens and they are still in good condition.  The clothes and accessories are good quality.

I can only say that I was just a tad upset when the 70s doll can out as historical character.  Made me feel old :)

• Like 1

My dds each have 3 dolls (and I got my disabled dd Kirsten, more for me than for her, before she was discontinued.) I got them Felicity and Elizabeth when they were pretty young, then Caroline and Marie Grace, then on their own they each bought one as teen/almost teen! They are for play and not for history lessons, but I'm sure they helped make history come alive for the girls. The dolls have held up pretty well; some of the clothing has not (and I blame my girls for putting the clothes on stuffed animals and dolls that were too big for it!). They still like getting AG clothes for Christmas, though it's not a big focus anymore. But they had fun at an AG store on vacation last summer at ages 16 and 13.

• Like 1

My DDs have Kaya, Felicity (she was mine) and Caroline.  For my oldest, it has definitely made history more alive.  She has read all of Addy's books and wants her next. They are beautiful dolls and accessories, and I imagine with three daughters, our collection will only grow.

• Like 1

My girls have 10 or 11 between them..  They have a couple girl of the year, but mostly historical dolls(their choice.)  Yeah, they play with them.  Well now, they mostly just dress them and that's it.  Gone are the days of them being drug around everywhere we go. :crying:

We have countless outfits and accessories.  the school related ones have been my girls' favorites.  I have never really used the to teach, but my girls have read all the books.

I wish AG would focus on the historical dolls more than the modern ones.

• Like 3

I need to start paring down the AG collection. My kids still like the dolls, but they don't play with them as much as they used to, and we have a TON of AG clothes & accessories.

Oldest has Felicity and Caroline. She doesn't play with hers at all anymore. They are stored in the top of her closet.

Middle has Kaya, Josefina, Grace (GOTY), Jess (GOTY), Makenna (GOTY), and a ToysRUs doll. I don't know how she ended up with so many - they must've sneaked in when I wasn't looking.

Youngest has Saige (GOTY), a Just like You, and Lea (GOTY), and a Target doll. She wants Melody. She also has 2 bitty babies.

I own Ruthie.

Kirsten is the "house doll" - for friends who visit to play with. This way my girls don't get upset over someone not playing nicely enough with one of their dolls. 

We own the Target car and camper, some horses, and loads (and loads!) of clothes.  We have bits and pieces of each doll's collection. We also have all of the historical dolls' books. 

I used Portraits of American Girlhood with my oldest. We've also done bits and pieces of history with them. The kids have all read and re-read the books many times. The dolls went everywhere with us for a few years. The orthodontist still asks every month why the dolls don't visit him anymore - my middle had braces at age 7 and Jess went with us every month for a checkup (he would put on a new braces sticker if needed and "adjust" her headgear).

• Like 1

DD has one customized to look like her.

She read a number of the historical books and has enjoyed the movies.

We can't afford a collection of dolls. DD has made some furniture from cardboard and fabric scraps, but over the last year hasn't had much interest any more.

• Like 1

My parents wouldn't buy me an AG girl because they didn't think I'd play with it enough as I had too many varied interests. So when I was 14 I bought myself one :).

I found it too hard to choose between Samantha and Molly (I'd been given the books by my third grade teacher while recovering from a playground accident), so I bought an "American Girl of Today" that looked like me and collected accessories for her that matched my childhood toys, like a mini Care Bear and such. When I was 17 my school had a history fair, and I wrote a backstory for her (mill worker, inspired by Nellie of the Samantha series) and made her a period dress.

My teenage niece sent my DD3 her childhood doll (Kit). I'm saving it for when she's older.

When Molly was retired DH bought her for me, knowing I'd always wanted her.

I'm getting Truly Me #53, who resembles DD3, for Mother's Day this year.

I hope to save for Logan (first AG boy doll) who resembles my son. I have a Walmart Our Generation boy doll for now, but I'd prefer the AG one.

I'm actually planning to start reading the Kirsten and Addy books with DS7 soon, as they match the timespan of our history curriculum for this year. He's been really enjoying the Little House books and making pioneer era crafts, so I'm thinking about helping him make some items sized for the boy doll we have.

When DD is old enough I'm hoping to find ways to integrate activities with the dolls if she is interested.

• Like 1

My Mom has given my daughter way too many AG dolls, so I suppose we have a collection. Between the two of them (my Mom and my daughter) they have Kit, Molly, Mary Ellen, Grace, Isabela, Lea, Julie, one of the "Just Like Me" ones, a Chinese-American one that I think is Julie's friend, and about 5 Bitty Babies. Some of them are always here and some of them go to "stay at Grandma's house". 

I think my daughter actually likes the AG craft stuff better than the dolls. She makes things all the time for herself based on their books and sets. And she likes to make things for the dolls. She does play with them also but I think she would be happy with 1 or 2 of them. 

We never use them for school, just for fun. 

• Like 1

My girls have quite a few AG dolls from over the years. Our historical dolls are Felicity, Elizabeth, Caroline, Kaya (2), Kirsten, Julie, Kit, Ruthie, Josefina, Samantha, and Nellie.  They have 8 of the Dolls of the Year.  We also have three Just Like Me dolls, 2 Bitty Babies, and a Bitty Twin as well.  

The historical dolls are my favorites. My girls read all of the stories, and I do think that they aided them in understanding particular time periods.  They definitely made history more fun!

• Like 1

My older DD had a few, but it's younger DD who is AG obsessed, lol. She has 7 dolls so far. Her room is full of her "set-ups" and I just, in fact, took pics the other day of it all because I want to remember this time. 

She has Lea's fruit stand, the OG kitchen, the AG dining set, a sewing set, a gardening set, several beds, Julie's bed, the OG wardrobe, a lemonade stand that she turned into Grace's "French Treats for Life" stand (that's her made-up name ;)) several pets and their things... it just goes on and on. 

She loves to craft her own things for her dolls. Her sister makes jewelry and charms from clay, so that gave her the idea to make doll food from clay. She has gorgeous cupcakes, sandwiches, petit fours, macarons, and a bunch of other stuff. 

She also makes jewelry for her dolls from clay. 

Two of her doll's beds were made from the doll boxes, and she made a stand-up wardrobe from a box and the string that came on an AG bag. It's adorable. 

She also makes stop-motion movies with her dolls. She's figured out so many things with them. That's a different sort of play all together and not something a lot of kids would be interested in,  but my youngers are influenced by their older film-making siblings in this way, so it's just an extension of play for them.

There are some Youtube channels devoted to crafting for your AG dolls. My dd's favorite youtuber is AGoverseasfan. It's a girl in Australia. I'm not sure how much crafting she does, but she has a huge collection. 

Do you have a subscription to the AG magazine? They have ideas in there, too. In the last issue, there were miniature AG magazines to cut out and staple together for your dolls.

Have fun with your crafting! There are endless possibilities!

• Like 2

We never had AG dolls for my girls as we couldn't afford them, but youngest got two similar dolls later on. I have made countless outfits for them, and dh made wooden carrying cases. Never much used them for school, but just as play. However, I want to put in a plug for a friend's shop:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/NuclearNeedleArts?section_id=15704959   She's a hs mom who makes beautiful things. Her latest is doll feet for lasts, so you can make your own shoes!

Wow, her things are gorgeous! I'm saving her shop!

• Like 2

My Mom has given my daughter way too many AG dolls, so I suppose we have a collection. Between the two of them (my Mom and my daughter) they have Kit, Molly, Mary Ellen, Grace, Isabela, Lea, Julie, one of the "Just Like Me" ones, a Chinese-American one that I think is Julie's friend, and about 5 Bitty Babies. Some of them are always here and some of them go to "stay at Grandma's house".

I think my daughter actually likes the AG craft stuff better than the dolls. She makes things all the time for herself based on their books and sets. And she likes to make things for the dolls. She does play with them also but I think she would be happy with 1 or 2 of them.

We never use them for school, just for fun.

This is going to be the type of grandma I will be! I played with baby dolls most of my childhood, but was sad when a 4th grade classmate brought a doll to school one day and the other kids made fun of her. It was then that I secretly put away doll play, because I thought I was too old to play with dolls.

AG type dolls didn't come out until my teen years. I never heard of them until much later when I saw an early Jon and Kate plus 8 episode (WAY before the controversies!) where the family got treated to a trip to the AG doll store. I didn't think anything about it at the time, and my girl was too young to be into the dolls then. A few years later, I got my daughter a Target Our Generation doll for a present. She liked it well enough, but mainly liked the storybook and accessories with the doll. Then I got an itch to get her an AG girl doll. I got her an older Kirsten. She liked it okay, but I liked it more. She soon saw a Target doll she liked better, so I got her that as well. Then I got Felicity to dress up like Anne of Green Gables. Then "we" got Samantha from dh last Christmas to dress up as Diana Barry. Did I mention, I LOVE Anne of Green Gables? My daughter, not so much.

While looking for the older Samantha clothes and accessories on eBay, I ran into a deal to get an older Samantha doll with a ton of accessories (homemade wooden doll bed, wooden storage container, a couple vintage Samantha AG outfits, doll shoes, some well made Samantha look alike clothes, etc...) for the cost of buying all the accessories/clothes by themselves from other sellers. So now we have 2 Samanthas! But each Samantha has a bit different hair, body, and face because one is newer and the eBay one is early 90s. My dd mostly loves the Our Generation accessories that she has gotten as gifts over the past couple years, the Our Generation doll she picked out herself, and the Samantha doll we got for Christmas.

We've been to the AG store, but she wasn't that impressed. She likes her OG doll better and I like the older AG dolls better (longer natural looking eyelashes, more natural looking face mold, and a few other minor details). She recently saw and does want Tenney, the new doll, though! She isn't interested in any other AG stuff, but that doll is so her style. I kind of cringe at the price tag for that doll+accessories. We will have to think about that for next Christmas, or make our own stuff to go with the current dolls. Tenney has nothing to do with history, except maybe history of modern day country music.

I am using the quilting stash I was given (from an elderly friend who can't quilt anymore) to make dresses and outfits for the dolls. I use the free patterns for the original historical dolls found at agplaythings.com. My sewing skills are poor, but I am getting better with practice. I hope to make a quilt for the doll bed with the scraps.

We have the Felicity, Samantha, and Kirsten books, but haven't read them yet. So many books, so little time.......

ETA: just realized I got carried away and didn't answer most of your inquiries: she does the play with the dolls, but mostly only plays with AG ones when she asks me to play with her since she likes the OG ones well enough. She lets friends play with the AG dolls if the friends are mature enough to take care of them, but otherwise the AG dolls stay on a higher shelf in her room. She isn't interested in using the dolls for history context, but I like the history theme for the older dolls. I like your ideas of story writing, making clothes to match your dd's outfits, and bookmaking.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 2

Heather, have you seen the World of... books? That may be what you're friend is using. We have a bunch of them. Did they go oop? They also had craft books, recipe books, etc. That's why you're thinking there's some gap, because they had lots of materials in the past you COULD use to have a complete history program. :)  There's also an AG-based unit study, iirc.  

And yes, I love it that you're pursuing the sewing!!  You should do this!!  The years pass very quickly, and you won't regret the time you're spending with her doing things. :)

• Like 1

My older DD had a few, but it's younger DD who is AG obsessed, lol. She has 7 dolls so far. Her room is full of her "set-ups" and I just, in fact, took pics the other day of it all because I want to remember this time. 

She has Lea's fruit stand, the OG kitchen, the AG dining set, a sewing set, a gardening set, several beds, Julie's bed, the OG wardrobe, a lemonade stand that she turned into Grace's "French Treats for Life" stand (that's her made-up name ;)) several pets and their things... it just goes on and on. 

She loves to craft her own things for her dolls. Her sister makes jewelry and charms from clay, so that gave her the idea to make doll food from clay. She has gorgeous cupcakes, sandwiches, petit fours, macarons, and a bunch of other stuff. 

She also makes jewelry for her dolls from clay. 

Two of her doll's beds were made from the doll boxes, and she made a stand-up wardrobe from a box and the string that came on an AG bag. It's adorable. 

She also makes stop-motion movies with her dolls. She's figured out so many things with them. That's a different sort of play all together and not something a lot of kids would be interested in,  but my youngers are influenced by their older film-making siblings in this way, so it's just an extension of play for them.

There are some Youtube channels devoted to crafting for your AG dolls. My dd's favorite youtuber is AGoverseasfan. It's a girl in Australia. I'm not sure how much crafting she does, but she has a huge collection. 

Do you have a subscription to the AG magazine? They have ideas in there, too. In the last issue, there were miniature AG magazines to cut out and staple together for your dolls.

Have fun with your crafting! There are endless possibilities!

I love this.  I love that a little girl would just go wild, make her own stuff, and make videos. 

There is a website called AGI and the owner is amazing at making DIY AG stuff.  Fair warning though... The mom recently added doll menstruation kits.  It was little strange for me, and I'm OK with it.   Just sayin'...Some of you moms may not like it.  The blog owner Rudy has about two years of youtube videos that are addicting to watch.

Edited by Heathermomster

Heather, have you seen the World of... books? That may be what you're friend is using. We have a bunch of them. Did they go oop? They also had craft books, recipe books, etc. That's why you're thinking there's some gap, because they had lots of materials in the past you COULD use to have a complete history program. :)  There's also an AG-based unit study, iirc.  

And yes, I love it that you're pursuing the sewing!!  You should do this!!  The years pass very quickly, and you won't regret the time you're spending with her doing things. :)

No, I did not know about these books.  I just popped over to Amazon and they are available on the used market.  I'm thinking about taking the Lea Clark doll and dressing her for the Felicity/Revolutionary War time period.  

I have not sewn for dolls in ages.  In fact, I have not sewn much since we began homeschooling.  My DD was sick last week with fever and unable to get out of bed.  By Wednesday, we were sitting at the dinner table coloring and drawing together, and I realized again that we could sew and craft and call that art.

Great suggestion!.. Thank-you for mentioning the books.

• Like 1