Menu

Married last names (s/o of other last name thread)

Sun

If you did not change your name when you got married, what kinds of issues did you run into? I'm curious because I did not change my name, and the only "issue" I've ever encountered is people occasionally sending holiday cards to me with my husband's last name.

For me, the only real issues arise with schools and medical offices.  Back when DS was in public elementary school, I'd have trouble dealing with registration, teachers, and administrators because my name & his didn't match.   (Actually, for most of those years, DH and I weren't married, but all three of us lived together all the time, so my role was the same as it would have been if we had been married.  I used to tell DH we didn't even have to get married - I could just change my name and no one would bat an eye.)

Same at the doctor's office, at least for the first couple visits. 

But, anymore, the only "problem" is that no one knows how to address envelopes.  Really more amusing than annoying.

• Like 1

I didn't change mine and I can honestly say I've never had an issue.  The kids have DH's last name because it was (marginally) easier to pronounce and spell - although really they are both challenging in that way.

We jokingly combined our last names to form one for our joint email address and I now get mail addressed to us using that last name.  Some because people think it's funny and like the combo, some because people are just clueless and think that's really our last name despite being repeatedly told otherwise.  I actually think if it wasn't such a pain to change so many things we might have chosen to go with this combo last name but that would mean two people changing things, so twice the paperwork and I just am not that into paperwork.

• Like 1

If you did not change your name when you got married, what kinds of issues did you run into? I'm curious because I did not change my name, and the only "issue" I've ever encountered is people occasionally sending holiday cards to me with my husband's last name.

No issues, none. The closest thing to an issue is people calling my husband by my last name or calling me by his last name. I do not consider that an issue. 

• Like 1

I added my husband's last name as a middle name. So while my kids have a different last name than me, I do have their name on my ID. The only issue? I had to send additional documentation to have them added to my health insurance since we didn't have the same last name. People address Christmas cards every way imaginable. I don't mind that at all.

• Like 1

2dd delayed changing her name until after she actually had her license. It saved a whole lot of hassle in trying to convince the licensing/examining agencies she really was that person on her transcripts/ diploma with a different name.

Changing her name after she had a license and was registered with the state, was easy.

I have an acquaintance who established her prof rep with her ex's name. (She also prefered it to hers.) She was still using it after she married her current dh. She made the effort to change it when they had kids.

Edited by gardenmom5

Well, I hyphenated when we got married. 

And then we bought a house with an FHA loan.  ALLLL those papers having to be signed with full name...oy.

8 letters + 3 letters + 11 letters + 5 letters.  And my birth name is hard to write because it has long descenders next to high ascenders THREE times.  It is very slow to write it out.  Now I am 5 letters + 5 letters.  Selling that house was the last time I used the hyphenated name.  :0)

I had a friend who didn't take her dh's name.  When her sons ended up in the emergency room (repeatedly), they had some issues, and she eventually just took the same last name.  It wasn't worth the aggravation anymore.  I knew another couple who kept birth names and had issues with travel when their son was born.  But they resolved it, I think.  It was a lot of hassle though at first.

I have another couple friend who kept birth names as they really wished to isolate the business from the marriage.  All their kids are hyphenated.  

But I know another couple whose husband had the last name from Alphabet Soup City and she kept her birth name and hasn't ever looked back.  So there ya go.  

I changed my name. But dd did not. She had had zero issues. Zero. She would have had issues if she had tried to change it because that would have coincided with transfering her medic license to New Jersey. It could have really complicated the transition. So she has been quite happy she did not change.

Most recently we had to send the HS umbrella proof that I was in fact the kids mom. :glare:

Often people assume DH and I aren't married, I've suffered through mini lectures from little old people who kindly tell me I should marry my "babies" daddy.  When I tell them we've been married for X years they have trouble comprehending. This happens less now that I'm older.  I did have one lady ask me, after I explained, "why'd you do a fool thing like that, don't you want people to know who you belong to"  :confused1:  :confused1:  :confused1:  I hope she just misspoke. I was so floored I stuttered, "no, ma'am I don't", and walked away.

ETA: we have the thing where DH is referred to as Mr. Fox, he usually just smiles and nods, he's offered to change his name several times.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I was too lazy to change my name. I never had any issues, except that I think my husband was a bit miffed, although he never really said so (his first wife took his name, so I don't feel too bad). Also, I may have gotten a few raised eyebrows at my kids Christian school, but that could be me being a bit sensitive.

except for that one older relative who sends me the yearly Christmas card, no one has ever, ever called me "Mrs Any last name" in my life. I've never been introduced as that or even had anyone ask me what my marital status is or anything.  I have been introduces as "DH's first name's wife" (This is John's wife, Sally) but never as Mrs Last Name. I've always introduced myself as just my first and last name. I just shake hands and say "my name is Sally Smith".  I wouldn't ever say I'm Ms Sally Smith or Mrs Sally Smith. It wouldn't occur to me.

I didn't really want to add dh's last name but in the end I did.  So I have two last names , no hyphen.  No issues other then mail being addressed to wrong last name and inlaws who insist on just using his last names.  Whatever.  No skin off my nose to roll with it.

No problems in 25 years. (not counting misaddressed mail) 

The kids have his last name, but no one has ever questioned that I was their mom at the doctor or anything. I mean really, who wants to schlepp kids to the doctor and pay the bill so much that they would pretend to be a parent? I guess they figure that copying your photo ID and taking your credit card is enough to discourage the occasional weird person who might want to do that. 

No problem with taxes or anything that I can think of. 

• Like 1

I was stopped at the border, interrogated and made to wait (pending verification of my identity) when I traveled with my young toddler.  We are of a different race and skin color, so that may have been an issue more so than our different last names. I now keep a POA and notarized letter with me when I travel internationally alone with the kids, but it hasn't happened again since.

Well, mine is hyphenated and I wish I had just kept one because it is a PITR to sign documents and/or buy a house.  

I kept both because when I got married I was quite close to my high school students and I wanted them to be able to come back and find me after graduation.  Sigh.  That was 21 years ago.  And we moved across the country.  No one knows my maiden name here, but my work gave me a hyphenated name for my email address and the students always get so confused.

For me, the only real issues arise with schools and medical offices.  Back when DS was in public elementary school, I'd have trouble dealing with registration, teachers, and administrators because my name & his didn't match.   (Actually, for most of those years, DH and I weren't married, but all three of us lived together all the time, so my role was the same as it would have been if we had been married.  I used to tell DH we didn't even have to get married - I could just change my name and no one would bat an eye.)

Same at the doctor's office, at least for the first couple visits. 

But, anymore, the only "problem" is that no one knows how to address envelopes.  Really more amusing than annoying.

How should envelopes be addressed?  (say a Christmas card?)  Mr Bill Jones and Ms Susie Smith?  or the Jones and Smith Family?  or something else?  (Not snarky - I'm really wondering what is correct / preferred.)

How should envelopes be addressed?  (say a Christmas card?)  Mr Bill Jones and Ms Susie Smith?  or the Jones and Smith Family?  or something else?  (Not snarky - I'm really wondering what is correct / preferred.)

Mr. Bill Jones and Ms. Susie Smith is correct.  Same as with a same sex couple.  Each name, alphabetically.  Mr. Adam Apple and Mr. Bill Smith.

I really have no idea what formal etiquette would be (I'll defer to others there), but the Jones & Smith Family strikes me as most efficient and best "ring."  I'm just amused by all the different ways, including only first names, all my last name, all his last name (most common among my relatives, incidentally, and almost always misspelled), etc.