Menu

Settle a family argument (stomach bug content, TMI)

Onceuponatime

Here's the scenario:

Person number one complains of being unwell. By bedtime he is puking his guts out and spending the better part of the night in sporadic heaving. The next day he is listless and unable/ unwilling to do any normal activities, not even surfing the web. He has related bowel distress and is not interested in food at all.

Person number two, began the same kind of symptoms a few a hours after the first. He also spent the next day on the sofa, but was in less distress.

Person number three, who took care of the first two through most of the night, ate breakfast the next morning but lost it by noon. Some hours later that person experienced another episode. That person also felt unwell most of the day, but not as bad off as the first two.

Persons four and five went to work on the day everyone else was laid out. They came home after working eight hours with no problems, and said they weren't hungry. They ate some chicken noodle soup out of a can, and a few saltines, then went to bed at a normal time.

The next morning the three people who had heaved were feeling improved. The other two said they "felt better" too. This irritated the ones who had had their heads in the toilet. They do not think the other two actually had anything wrong with them. So how many people were sick? Three or five? If it was three, are they correct in feeling irritated?

Edited by Onceuponatime

Five. Stomach bugs often make some people hurl while others just get some degree of digestive system discomfort. Unfortunately it is the latter folks who tend to spread these germs around as they continue to engage in normal activities.

Betcha others at the work places of persons 4 and 5 come down with the bug in the coming days.

Edited by maize
  • Like 12

Five. Stomach bugs often make some people hurl while others just get mild digestive system discomfort. Unfortunately it is the latter folks who tend to spread these germs around as they continue to engage in normal activities.

Betcha others at the work places of persons 4 and 5 come down with the bug in the coming days.

I suspect that's how it got into the house to begin with. One of those two had mentioned people at work being sick.

This happened to us recently.

DS spent a few hours vomiting, then the baby got it for a couple of days, then I had it the next morning, and then that evening DH felt not so well but didn't vomit or have symptoms that would have prevented him from going anywhere. DH felt much better when he woke up. :/ Yes I felt irritated, but he probably had a milder version of what we had.

He carries all of the illness home with him yet doesn't get sick as much as the rest of us do.

• Like 3

All were likely sick to varying degrees.  

We had something similar run through here.  I was the sickest, spending every 15 minutes running to the bathroom with a bucket and toilet involved, for 24 hours.  Felt like death for about 3 days.  Dh had diarrhea for about 4 hours.  Oldest dd felt run down and not hungry for a day or two.  Youngest dd came down with it while on a trip, but was just severely nauseated for about 12 hours.  She managed to keep from throwing up.  Middle child never felt ill at all.

• Like 1

I wouldn't think the last two people were sick just because they weren't hungry.  Did they also complain of any upset at all or was the next morning saying they felt "better" the first reference to them feeling off?   I would say three people were sick and two just weren't hungry based on the above.

• Like 1

I guess we must concede that everyone might have been sick. But it still feels unfair. People who are forced to vomit against their will should get extra sympathy points, or something.

I'm sure the non-vomiting family members were feeling sympathetic to the vomiting ones. They were probably also feeling very relieved that they didn't get as sick. 

• Like 5

I guess we must concede that everyone might have been sick. But it still feels unfair. People who are forced to vomit against their will should get extra sympathy points, or something.

They should help out with the other two.

It isn't fair that one person that is heaving has to care for the others that are sick. The people who are, "somewhat sick," need to help out the third.

• Like 2

Yeah, the people who got a mild version should be extra sympathetic to the ones who got more sick.

Though sometimes a person can feel as sick as one who is vomitiing without vomiting themselves--some stomachs just don't like to vomit but still experience all the nausea and pain. I really hate those kinds of sickness--at least vomiting usually brings some temporary relief to the stomach upset! Based on your description though it doesn't sound like that is what happened here.

• Like 2

I hope this is jokingly meant. Whether or not a person vomits does nothing to indicate their level of sympathy.

Actually, this whole thread is slightly tongue in cheek. (Slightly). Yeah, there are definitely other ways to indicate ones level of sympathy or lack thereof. Those other ways may have something to do with a state of mind from which I am recovering, now that things are getting back to normal.

All five were sick, but with varying degrees of pukishness.

It cracks me up that others are irritated by the lack of puking and subsequent diminished sympathy. I would be THRILLED if not every member of my household vomited.

In general though, I'm not the type that likes or needs sympathy when I'm unwell. Just leave me alone in my room and I'll emerge when I'm better.

All five were sick, but with varying degrees of pukishness.

It cracks me up that others are irritated by the lack of puking and subsequent diminished sympathy. I would be THRILLED if not every member of my household vomited.

In general though, I'm not the type that likes or needs sympathy when I'm unwell. Just leave me alone in my room and I'll emerge when I'm better.

Actually it was the implication that the non-pukers, who experienced nothing more than a feeling of slight indigestion, were just as deserving of sympathy that irritated the others, not the sympathy level that they recieved. Plus, the person who was taking care of the pukers in spite of her own pukiness had used up all her sympathy, and still did the laundry and dishes and disinfecting that was not optional before the non-pukers got home and relaxed. I guess you'd have to be in the other person's shoes to get it.

• Like 5

It's funny that this is even a family argument!  People don't experience germs, or even something like food poisoning, in the same way.

With a family of 7 (9 including in-laws) who spend a lot of time together, we've had the whole range of reactions.  A couple years ago we all had food poisoning when traveling through Central America.  We were all sick.  Four were throwing up about once every 30 minutes.  Two were so sick they had to be hospitalized and put on IV's.  Three were nauseated and couldn't eat, but never threw up.

I'm in the camp that wants sympathy when I'm feeling sick, but in an amusing way.  Pretty much every time I'm sick, I'll play the Man Cold video and ask my family to rub my forehead and call me a Poor Little Bunny.  But they know it's a joke, tell me I'm a Poor Little Bunny, and I feel like I've received my sympathy.

But I have a silly-side to me so it works.  If a serious person tried that, it would probably be taken as very selfish.  My family knows it's all silliness, but honestly, having them say Poor Little Bunny really does make me feel better.  Not physically, but emotionally.  And of course, when they are sick, I say, "Are you a Poor Little Bunny?  Shall I rub your forehead?"  And I usually do and they feel better, too.  :)

The two in your family should call the three Poor Little Bunnies and everyone should move on.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

See, I sympathize with the pukers who don't feel that the non-pukers earned the right to sympathy. Puking is my worst nightmare. If I have been puking and caring for pukers, the non-pukers better be expressing gratitude and sympathy. I don't care if your stomach was a little "off" -- if you didn't have chunks coming through your nose, you don't get a I-survived-the-stomach-bug T-shirt. 

Call me petty. I don't care. ;)

• Like 5

See, I sympathize with the pukers who don't feel that the non-pukers earned the right to sympathy. Puking is my worst nightmare. If I have been puking and caring for pukers, the non-pukers better be expressing gratitude and sympathy. I don't care if your stomach was a little "off" -- if you didn't have chunks coming through your nose, you don't get a I-survived-the-stomach-bug T-shirt.

You understand. 💛

• Like 1

If I had been one of the pukers I probably wouldn't have felt much sympathy for the non pukers.  However, I have often been the non puker, feeling nausea and anxiety all week as a virus makes the rounds through the house.  I've done all the work- washed towels and clothes that have come in contact with barf, brought crackers and 7-Up to people, etc. So yeah, when I've done that while feeling I was on the verge of barfing, I sure considered myself sick. Not AS sick, but definitely worthy of a little sympathy. 

Actually it was the implication that the non-pukers, who experienced nothing more than a feeling of slight indigestion, were just as deserving of sympathy that irritated the others, not the sympathy level that they recieved. Plus, the person who was taking care of the pukers in spite of her own pukiness had used up all her sympathy, and still did the laundry and dishes and disinfecting that was not optional before the non-pukers got home and relaxed. I guess you'd have to be in the other person's shoes to get it.

But who is implying this? Didn't the other adults in the house do enough to help you out (in your mind)? If not, then talk about this in specific terms like an adult and not in terms of "showing sympathy". Otherwise you are just sounding a bit immature.

Five. Stomach bugs often make some people hurl while others just get some degree of digestive system discomfort. Unfortunately it is the latter folks who tend to spread these germs around as they continue to engage in normal activities.

^ this

Also, a reminder that after norovirus, you are shedding the virus and contagious for up to two weeks (maybe even longer?), even if you are feeling better.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

• Like 1

But who is implying this? Didn't the other adults in the house do enough to help you out (in your mind)? If not, then talk about this in specific terms like an adult and not in terms of "showing sympathy". Otherwise you are just sounding a bit immature.

Yep. Even though I can tell you don't quite get it, I agree that I was being immature. Sometimes there is no energy left for maturity.

^ this

Also, a reminder that after norovirus, you are shedding the virus and contagious for up to two weeks (maybe even longer?), even if you are feeling better.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/transmission.html

Ack! Do you realize how impossible it is to keep from contaminating people for two weeks?

• Like 2

This is always what happens to us. DH usually brings it home, he might feel a little off but for the most part has very mild symptoms. The kids get the normal version of what ever it is and I'm usually sick for 2-4 times as long with symptoms in the more severe category.  

So in our house I'd say technically everyone was sick but #'s 4 and 5 had better not whine about it to me.

• Like 2

I completely understand.  

We have a sympathetic illness person here (OK, its DH) and he sometimes walks around 'thinking he's coming down with something' if I ever get sick, or the kids are sick.  It's hard, when I'm suffering, to muster sympathy for someone who is not entirely sick.  Sympathetic queasiness and worry that you might catch something, is far far far different than puking for 8 hours or actually having the flu.  Trust me. 

• Like 5

Five, but three had inferior immune systems and should be mad at that and not their heartier family members. The pukers didn't win, they lost and shouldn't be angling for recognition.

It's the heartier family members who were angling for recognition. The pukers objected.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 1

It's the heartier family members who were angling for recognition.

I disagree.  It sounds like everyone felt sick then everyone got better.  The pukers want their suffering to be recognized as superior and want to discount the experience of those with stronger stomachs.  I'll bet everyone had the same virus but severity of symptoms varied widely.  

• Like 1

I disagree. It sounds like everyone felt sick then everyone got better. The pukers want their suffering to be recognized as superior and want to discount the experience of those with stronger stomachs. I'll bet everyone had the same virus but severity of symptoms varied widely.

They most definitely wanted to discount the experience of those with stronger stomachs. Puking your guts out for twelve hours, with subsequent extreme weakness, is in no way an equal experience to only a very mild nausea for a couple of hours. But I wouldn't call it superior. ðŸ˜

• Like 2

Five people had it; some people had a worse reaction.

But really, I'm chuckling to myself because we argue about illness around here, too. We don't seem able to help ourselves. DH and I never agree as to what action, if any, needs to be taken and nearly always irrationally argue about when symptoms began. My youngest is sick right now and this time, I have a sticky-note documentary of when he barfed, what treatments I gave him, what his fever was, etc. just so there's documented evidence. Hopefully, this will head off DH horribilizing how long he's been sick or how many bad episodes have ocurred since Tuesday.

• Like 1

I totally utterly agree. And yes maybe petty but I really hate vomit.

Edited by momto3innc
  • Like 4

All five were sick. This happened to us a few weeks ago. DD9 woke up feeling nauseous and remained nauseous all day, laying around, no appetite. That evening DD12 started throwing up and did so throughout the evening and had a headache. The next day DD9 was still feeling nauseous, laying around, no appetite. DD12 was no longer throwing up but had a headache, general fatigue, no appetite. I woke up feeling blah. There's no other way to describe it. I had no other symptoms besides a few moments of slight passing nausea, but a lot of tiredness. No energy. I laid around all day with the other two. Three people, three different ways of presenting the same illness. DD5 and DH escaped it!

• Like 1

I totally get it!!!

I don't even care about cleaning up vomit once I know it's coming and I have the buckets and towels ready. It's the surprise vomit that takes 3 loads of laundry to clean up that I dread.

And as for being sick, I'm always #3 or 4 and I'm always sick the longest. 🤢

• Like 1