Menu

Accelerated Learner Goals for 2017!

I always love these threads on the AL board, I get so inspired by your kids!

(I didn't see a thread for this year, if there is one already, I can delete this one.)

Runningkids goals:

DS 10 - He wants to build a video game console from scratch.  (Learn circuitry, 3D printing, necessary coding) He also wants to write a book!  I've decided that along with Spanish, read alouds and math, these 2 things will round out his "school" for the rest of the year.  He plays piano and is joining the piano jazz group at our conservatory so this seems pretty well rounded?  I'm going with it for now. It feels right.

DD 6 - learn to ride a 2 wheeler

DS 6 - learn to tie shoes and how to swim.  (He's a sensory kid who hates being underwater so this is a tough one.)

Edited by someonestolemyname
  • Like 9

DD is starting college classes in 2 weeks, and plans to do more next year (if she does what she wants to do, she will essentially be full-time college for academics except for maybe a fun online class or two). She also just picked up a project that I'm sure I'll be sharing more about as it gets more solid.

She also is considering trying out for the community college cheer team in the fall-so she's planning a lot of gym time this Spring. As she pointed out, there is no age restriction on doing so. They cheer for basketball games and apparently compete in the junior college league at UCA.

• Like 11

I love these threads as well! Thanks for starting one!

We were doing bare minimum last 6 months with my DS9, due to a huge construction project we had going (actually, still going, but getting close to the end) that took all of my energy. Now we started Adventures in Fantasy book, and it is already veered away from the topic into writing a novel that is a mix of Quarks Chronicles, Warriors, and Star Wars. It looks like it will be a mix of writing and science. My DD14, who hates writing in general decided to join with her own project, but hers is more into politics, so I hope it's going to  be fun for all of us.

Second part of science with DS9 will be gardening. I hoped to start it in the Fall, since the original construction date was September, but now it is still about a couple of weeks away. Now we can actually start some things.

I also hope to finally stop dreaming and book a trip to France. Kids will get to practice their French, as well as get a nice art and history enrichment experience.

For math I plan to enroll him in AOPS online class some time after the trip, and hopefully try AMC8 next fall, but it will depend on his actual level by that time.

• Like 6

Has it been a year already? I am always amazed by your DCs and their progress and love listening to goals.

I'm no longer in the driver's seat. Haven't been for a while but this year the loss of control feels even more palpable. DS14 has applied to colleges and is awaiting news. So I guess the main goal is to see him start successfully at a school he loves. We will only know in March and the wait seems like f.o.r.e.v.e.r! He will have about 70 DE credits when he graduates high school and one of them is a much awaited honors upper division math class at a public ivy. We don't know if he will be accepted anywhere...the mix of very high stats but lower number of ECs plus young age (a disadvantage me thinks) is making this whole application experiment so difficult to predict. If he isn't accepted anywhere that he wants to go to he will quite likely consider 2017/18 as a gap year and apply again but possibly either more widely (he only applied to a few schools this year) or quite narrowly as a transfer student.

Meanwhile, we continue to learn together in the car with Great Courses. I'd also love for him to get a few levels of MATLAB training under his belt before he starts uni.

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 9

• TKD black belts if possible (but it will take a lot more focus than we had last year).

I'd like the kids to take on serious cooking duties.

Adopt a path at the nearby national park (ongoing service project).

Many less-defined aspirations such as gymnastics skills, scout badges, books read, science projects, improving instrumental music, doing well in school ....

Edited by SKL
  • Like 5

Homeschool-wise, we're in a pretty good groove. So maybe my first goal is to NOT screw that up. ("Not" is in caps because I first posted this without the word. My goal is definitely to *not* screw this up!)

We'll be moving this summer, but don't yet know where. My goal is that we all survive the transition and that when I reread this next year, I breathe a big sigh of relief.

Anxiety continues to be a major issue. And her (undiagnosed) ADHD. Progress on those will likely be a goal every. damn. year.

You know, I think that's it. I mean, there's a zillion small goals, but they're mostly take-it-or-leave-it stuff. So, maintain good schoolishness, survive the move, and chip away/accommodate/support/whatever on anxiety and ADHD. If we can do those, I'll be happy to call 2017 successful.

Edited by Jackie
  • Like 6

For anyone wanting to look back at last year's goals: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/580979-big-picture-goals-for-2016-with-your-al/

I'll be back later for an actual post!

So fun to go back and read last year's goals. I only have one at home still so life is a bit different.

Dd14 is my only one still homeschooling. She has a couple things in the works with her music "career" at the moment, one thing is still up in the air waiting on lawyers to figure things out and final confirmation (some things are a little more difficult when one is still a minor no matter how talented) so I don't want to go into too much detail unless it works out (if it does it will be a lot of work for the next few months but very exciting for her and kinda fun for me, too) and the other is a huge step for her but I am not sure what it will be mean or where it will lead. 

Some goals I can share...

- She has been working really hard on a project producing a CD showcasing other talented young musicians she has met on her musical journey around the US, Canada, and in Ireland. All proceeds for the CD will go to The Mercy Centre in Bangkok, Thailand. Dd has been helping to raise money for this orphanage for the last four years by performing in concerts and with other small projects she has come up with to add to the concert earnings. She has been planning this CD project for a little over two years and in the last eight months really got it moving. She is nearing the finish line and I'm really proud of her, the time she has put into it, things she has learned about being a producer and working with others, and her ability to stand up for her ideas when adults suggest changes. 

- Successfully complete her first AP course and do well on the exam.

- She set herself a goal this year of composing an Irish tune a week going round and round the circle of fifths.

- Complete her first novel.

- Write at least two more articles and have them published...she has an article being published in the spring edition of a magazine she enjoys and would like to keep writing for this magazine.

- She has a list of classical pieces she would like to learn this year as well.

We are in a really good place with her first year of high school and my goal is to continue even with everything else that may be happening this year. 

• Like 8

Homeschool-wise, we're in a pretty good groove. So maybe my first goal is to NOT screw that up. ("Not" is in caps because I first posted this without the word. My goal is definitely to *not* screw this up!)

We'll be moving this summer, but don't yet know where. My goal is that we all survive the transition and that when I reread this next year, I breathe a big sigh of relief.

Anxiety continues to be a major issue. And her (undiagnosed) ADHD. Progress on those will likely be a goal every. damn. year.

You know, I think that's it. I mean, there's a zillion small goals, but they're mostly take-it-or-leave-it stuff. So, maintain good schoolishness, survive the move, and chip away/accommodate/support/whatever on anxiety and ADHD. If we can do those, I'll be happy to call 2017 successful.

I just happened to come across this book at the library, and decided to check it out.  My 10 year old suffers from anxiety as well and so far this book is speaking to me. https://www.amazon.com/Why-Smart-Kids-Worry-Parents/dp/140228425X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483584429&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=why+your+smart+kid+has+anxiety

• Like 1

This year's goals:

ds(17) -- Primary goal is getting into the colleges he's applied to and getting a nice response to the scholarship applications. Additionally, he's applying for a summer internship -- so fingers crossed there. One more "primary" goal is to get his driver's license.

dd(14) - She's looking forward to her second solo-with-an-orchestra gig in a few months.  Her primary goals are music related (specific scholarships, attending specific summer festivals, working with specific teachers, applying to a specific conservatory, and more solo engagements). Another one of her goals is to go to Paris, but that one is also music related and can wait a bit.  I'd like dd to improve her French enough this year to attend a language immersion camp for a portion of the summer.  She's helping her younger siblings write a sequel to Witch of Blackbird Pond -- it would be wonderful if we could get it published into book format (I think I've read about that possibility online somewhere?).  Additional "experience" goals for this dd include a bunch of "field trips" related to marine biology. She also wants to learn to sail.

ds(11) -- He wants to join the swim team. He improved his swimming quite a bit over this last year and now looks forward to being able to keep up with "the big kids."  He has also joined basketball and has discovered that he loves team ball sports. Doing basketball year round is another goal. Ds is likely dysgraphic (never tried for a diagnosis), and so my goal for him is to get him more comfortable with writing. I also want him to learn to type. He's doing really well with Latin (memorizes a long list of new vocab in minutes and retains it, follows the use of various conjugations/declensions with ease, and translates enthusiastically), so I'd like him to take the National Latin Exam in the spring. I should probably have a mathematics goal for him... Eh, we'll just continue using the curriculum/supplements we are using because I have no issues with them.  He would love to join a rocketry club... I should add that to the list, too.

dd(7) -- Learned to swim in 2016 but needs more time in the water to improve. She wants to take a ballet class and an art class. She started Suzuki violin last spring and is rockin' right along.  I'd like her to improve her sightreading enough, this year, to be able to join the orchestra at her music school in the fall. I'd also like her to take classes at the local Irish music school for exposure to other music genres.  Perhaps another goal would be to "collect" enough tunes to join a slow session by the end of the year. I'd also like her to learn cursive this year, as her print is coming along nicely.

• Like 7

Big Picture Goals for Sacha:

Join a homeschool rock band.

Land a role in a local junior theatre production.

Improve scores in Math Kangaroo and on the Exploratory Latin Exam.

Begin learning Python and improve modding in Java.

Finish arduino science project.

Learn to sail, skateboard, and tie his shoes!

Big Picture Goals for Ronen:

Graduate from speech therapy and swim school.

Solidify knowledge of letter sounds and improve number sense.

Begin reading and arithmetic.

Big Picture Goals for Me:

Complete UCSD hospital internship and nursing school pre-reqs with a 4.0.

Rock the TEAS 

ETA: I am dipping my toe into the water to see if I want to pursue an advanced nursing degree (e.g. women's or mental health nurse practitioner, midwife, or anesthetist)

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 8

Big Picture Goals for Sacha:

Join a homeschool rock band.

Land a role in a local junior theatre production.

Improve scores in Math Kangaroo and on the Exploratory Latin Exam.

Begin learning Python and improve modding in Java.

Finish arduino science project.

Learn to sail, skateboard, and tie his shoes!

Big Picture Goals for Ronen:

Graduate from speech therapy and swim school.

Solidify knowledge of letter sounds and improve number sense.

Begin reading and arithmetic.

Big Picture Goals for Me:

Complete UCSD hospital internship and nursing school pre-reqs with a 4.0.

Rock the TEAS 

ETA: I am dipping my toe into the water to see if I want to pursue an advanced nursing degree (e.g. women's or mental health nurse practitioner, midwife, or anesthetist)

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I'm doing pre-reqs right now for an MPH in maternal and child health.  I go back and forth between that and getting a BSN and then MSN to be a midwife. (there is a very good program locally)

• Like 3

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I'm doing pre-reqs right now for an MPH in maternal and child health.  I go back and forth between that and getting a BSN and then MSN to be a midwife. (there is a very good program locally)

That's awesome!

I feel a little ridiculous going back to school at 42, and I may end up finding out that nursing isn't for me, but I figured that I would give it a shot. :)

• Like 6

I feel a little ridiculous going back to school at 42, and I may end up finding out that nursing isn't for me, but I figured that I would give it a shot. :)

I'm setting my own longer-term goals and planning to go back to school for my doctorate in audiology... I will be 45 then, so... same boat. (I'll have good company!)

:)

• Like 4

My 7yo wants to learn how motors work. My mom sent over some kids' books on being a mechanic, but that just didn't fit the bill. 

Does anyone have any good suggestions for learning about motors? (Are books on simple machines the same? Or K'nex things?)

• Like 2

With my DS, we tend to deviate from the script so much that I am wary of setting goals anymore. But, I will make a list anyway, and see where this goes in 2017.

Math:

Finish AOPS Intro to Algebra

Participate in 4 math contests (already doing CML, 3 more to go)

AMC8 prep (possibly participating in 2018)

Science:

Focus on physics 

Computer Science:

Focus on robotics, raspberry pi, python

Finish the game that DS started developing last year!

Learn a few simple algorithms

Music:

Too much is going on in this department. Need to prioritize and drop some stuff.

Sports:

Train more often to pass the tryouts to become eligible for Black Belt testing in his second martial arts (may or may not happen in 2017).

Start running with dad in spring when the weather improves.

Literature:

Read 2 classics in 2017 in addition to all the free reading.

Personal:

Get more sleep

Read a lot more than last year! 

Be able to cook a simple dinner once a week by the end of 2017

Bike and hike more

Take care of personal hygiene without reminders, prompts etc

• Like 5

This thread got me thinking.  We're still in survival mode here but are slowly, hopefully, now emerging.  Here are my rough goals for 2017.

DS#1 (8)

• Get back into regularly doing learning activities.  We essentially took a 3 month break this fall, after taking a 3 month break over summer, so we need to aim for at least 4-5 days of instruction per week for the rest of the school year and probably through the coming summer.
  • Manage negative feelings in a safe and healthy way.  
  • Make at least one friend at our HSing charter.

DS#2 (7)

• Transition from regular public school to the GT magnet without too many hiccups.  I'm worried he's a bit too asynchronous for the program, but they accepted him, so they must think he can manage.
  • Work on executive functioning skills and stick to a schedule to hopefully manage ADHD without medication.  
  • I need to put together a token system for behavior.  The goal here being less DS#2-induced chaos and destruction.

DS#3 (5) 

• Manage explosive temper better, without screaming and crying on the floor.
  • Learn to wipe own butt.  It's sad that that's one of my goals for him, but it really, really needs to happen, like yesterday. 
  • Keep busy with structured activities (so he doesn't disasemble anything else expesive).

DS#4 (3) - not an AL, but I'll include him anyway

• Meet IEP goals: jump, take stairs one foot per stair, consistently catch himself when he falls (keep head from contacting surface), improve joint attention, play with peers, engage in pretend play, speak in 3+ word phrases to communicate needs, follow 1-step directions, copy a line and a circle, etc.
  • Potty train.  This one's probably not going to happen, but I can try!

Me

• Go to sleep at a reasonable time each night.
  • Read the holy books for at least 3 major world religions.
  • Train the family dog to get the Canine Good Citizen title.
  • Like 5

My 7yo wants to learn how motors work. My mom sent over some kids' books on being a mechanic, but that just didn't fit the bill.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for learning about motors? (Are books on simple machines the same? Or K'nex things?)

Build the smithsonian motor model kit, then work with cub scout or lego or Instructibles resources to build your own motor. Also start teaching bicycle gears.

Take apart small appliances.  Interesting ones I recall doing with the kids are a back massage-er and bread machine.  We had broken things around, but you can also get cheap things at thrift stores or ask them for broken things.

• Like 2

DD (5) only slightly advanced

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Finish Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading. She has 80 lessons to go and has surpassed the book in her own reading (reading multisyllable and r-controlled vowel words which we haven't covered yet formally)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Start AAS1

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢swim independently. She's got the mechanics down but is terrified to let the teacher let go of her.

We also need to potty train DS who is turning 3. He is physically ready but mentally blocked. Says he's scared to pee without a diaper. He's had some success and has excellent bladder control.

We also started AAR-Pre level with DS. Going slowly and at his pace.

• Like 6

Now: just getting well from whatever bug it is. DS12 had fever on New Year's Eve then only dry cough these days. DS11 had fever on New Year's Day then dry cough and sneezing these days. I have the usual itchy throat and sneezing from allergies. Hubby has a dry cough.

DS11 wants to learn to ride a bicycle. Probably in Summer because January and April/May are our allergy months

DS12 doesn't have any goals so far other than wanting to travel to more countries but he is not interested in residential summer camps.

Academic wise we go with the flow as usual. Music and Art are still at trial and error stages.

• Like 4

Academically our plans are not really much deviated from the last year, still focusing on STEAM education

Kid's personal goals are:

DS8

- Write a fiction book

- Finish his poem book

- Create the first animation

He is also looking forward to take songwriting lessons, public speaking & debate classes and re-enrol for ninjutsu 

DS6

- Start art school and pottery classes

- Learn 3d drawing, especially cars

- Get a new pet (His bunny died last October and he is still heartbroken  :crying: )

- Become a ninja  :ph34r:

• Like 5

You may want to check and see what local gyms offer for little ninjas-DD's cheer gym just started offering ninja classes which are basically the same sort of stuff the girls do in conditioning for cheer (rope climbs, balance training, trampolining and tumbling, etc)-but taught with a ninja focus, mostly for younger brothers. They seem to have a good time :). And at least here, a 10 punch card is pretty cheap.

You may want to check and see what local gyms offer for little ninjas-DD's cheer gym just started offering ninja classes which are basically the same sort of stuff the girls do in conditioning for cheer (rope climbs, balance training, trampolining and tumbling, etc)-but taught with a ninja focus, mostly for younger brothers. They seem to have a good time :). And at least here, a 10 punch card is pretty cheap.

I've seen a similar group at the gym, but in our case everything is serious, real Bujinkan Ninjutsu Dojo :)

They have a quite interesting program: circuit training, gymnastics/acrobatics stuff, surviving skills outside and, of course, self-defence. My husband once was a ninja too and kids decided to follow their daddy's steps :)

• Like 1

DD11 would like to learn to draw things competently (which is so far from *my* goals from her that I fear we are beginning the preteen years) I would like her to get a very firm handle on English grammar, be able to write a respectable essay (she prefers creative writing), and shore up her basic knowledge areas - geography, mythology, etc.

DS8 would like to know where every country is on the map, which is a laudable goal, and be able to fly a paper airplane as far as humanly possible.  I would like him to learn to type.

• Like 6

DD5 would like to read The Little Prince to her little brother----in the original French. We don't speak French.  She doesn't speak French.  But she's read The Little Prince a bunch to the baby in English, and now is working on figuring out how to pronounce French words.  I'm sort of standing back and letting her do her thing. I got her the book in French.  I've also given her access to the audio version (again in French) so she can tell if she is pronouncing things correctly.

Oddly she has no desire to actually learn the French language. She just seems to want to read that one book in the original.

I'd like to see DD5 graduated from all her therapies by the ed of the year.  She's close.  She finished speech, and is down to home OT every other week only.  

No goals for DS(baby). He's a baby and he'll do as he does.

• Like 8

dd13:

-Enter more writing and poetry contests.

-Continue working on skills for b&m high school: keeping a planner, note-taking, managing online classes independently, etc.

-Keep on top of deadlines for b&m school (this may be more my goal than hers). I have to create a transcript and schedule placement tests, and there are audition dates for the fine arts program she is wanting to participate in.

-Enjoy these last moments before she has to start fitting into someone else's system. She's doing an in-depth Shakespeare study, delving into Elizabethan history, studying linguistics, and doing a few other things that are only possible at home.

ds11:

-Start keeping a planner and managing his own time.

-Take an online class so he can work on handling outside deadlines.

-Prepare for his first time taking the National Latin Exam.

-Make it to First Class rank in scouts.

-Learn to play the bagpipes.

dd9:

-Start tumbling class.

-Add a second instrument.

-Help her expand her reading choices a little. She's finally fallen in love with reading, but there are more books out there than just Harry Potter.

ds6:

-Math. He wants to do more math and harder math and more interesting math. We'll be adding in Beast Academy and looking into the math circles at our local university.

-Learn to swim.

Edited by MinivanMom
  • Like 8

Thanks for the link to last year's goals. It was great to revisit those goals and do a little happy dance, knowing that we reached them  :hurray:

For this year, my 10yr old's goals for herself are:

- learn more about genetics and embryology

- keep working on her novel

- learn about animal cognition (not sure how I'll go about resourcing and facilitating that one...)

- be on Grade 11 maths when she's age 11

- learn guitar

My goal for her is to have her write her capital Ns the right way around.  :huh:

Asynchrony, anyone??

• Like 8

Thanks for the link to last year's goals. It was great to revisit those goals and do a little happy dance, knowing that we reached them  :hurray:

For this year, my 10yr old's goals for herself are:

- learn more about genetics and embryology

- keep working on her novel

- learn about animal cognition (not sure how I'll go about resourcing and facilitating that one...)

- be on Grade 11 maths when she's age 11

- learn guitar

My goal for her is to have her write her capital Ns the right way around.  :huh:

Asynchrony, anyone??

I need to get DS 10 to stop putting capital N's in the middle of words.  His name is Henry so you would think he'd have this down by now. :laugh:

• Like 3

I need to get DS 10 to stop putting capital N's in the middle of words.  His name is Henry so you would think he'd have this down by now. :laugh:

My younger ds still uses upper and lowercase letters, randomly, when writing in print.  But his cursive is neat and accurate. I cannot understand why he struggles so much with print, but that, along with other symptoms (letters varying size, not able to keep them on the line, very slow writing, and a HUGE and CONSTANT desire to avoid any tiny amount of physical writing at all), makes me think he may have dysgraphia. I think I should probably get him tested because if it is not remediated it *will* hold him back when/if he ever goes to school (including college) and in his adult life.

Ds does a small amount of cursive writing each day (taking dictation).  Now that he's getting older, the amount of writing is slowly increasing. I'm getting better at remembering to wave a carrot before each session (which helps him stay focused and avoids the emotional breakdowns), but I don't think I should *have* to do that. According to my experience with my other three kids, small amounts of writing should be mostly pain-free by 10/11...

• Like 2

Totally off topic, but I'm glad to hear my kid isn't the only one who is random about capital / lowercase letters.  :P  She's getting better since her teacher started marking spelling words wrong if they are unnecessarily capitalized.

For all: Try to get into a charter that will help with funding our schooling. Put on a children's Shakespeare play.

Dd1 (almost 8): Continue to work on her attitude, perfectionism, and willingness to attempt some (reasonable) independent work. Increase her willingness/stamina for writing out her assignments. Really, I think her learning is on a very good track. It's just attitude issues that make schooling difficult with her.

Dd2 (young 6): Give her more opportunities to delve into her love of plants and gardening. Work on getting her reading fluently. She has been able to decode at a high level for a while, but still hasn't made the step from decoding to just really reading. This child's memory/learning just puzzle me. She will learn some things so effortlessly while others take her a ridiculously long time, and I don't understand why. (Like, knew all her letters and sounds at 15 months old, took three years working at trying to remember the numerals from when she wanted to learn until she actually got them. She could subtract 2-digit numbers with renaming in her head before she could remember what a 4 looked like.) If we could afford it, I would be interested in having this child tested just for some insight into how and why she learns as she does. I've got a hunch that she would come out with some wonky subtest scores that might give me a hint.

Ds1 (4.5): Work on developing empathy and learning to control his strength and be considerate of others, and to control his temper. This is definitely my most difficult child, but so far his academics have been surprisingly effortless. I am considering unschooling him for Kindy--which is really opposite my natural leanings with schooling methods. But preschool, which I make time for but then only do as desired by the kids, has been so awesome with my wild, stubborn boy. Since he first took an interest about 4 months ago, I have been so impressed with how well he has been learning on his own initiative. He will be a very young Ker age, so I think I may use this next school year as a trial run for unschooling him, and continue if it goes well.

Ds2 (2.75): Make sure to carve out time to cuddle and read picture stories. Continue doing math when he demands it, and eventually cave to his demands to start teaching him violin and phonics. ETA: and potty train!

Edited by La Condessa
  • Like 5

Ds (Age 12)

- Continuing online honors/AP high school coursework. Annual goal of 3+ verifiable transcript credits

- Further develop written response essays with speed and depth of thought. (SAT and AP prep, shooting for 45 minute essay)

- Executive function skills of time management, note taking, asking for help, developing personal studying style

- Begin classroom presentations/trainings encouraging youth to use their civil liberties for enacting political change

- Begin learning either the violin or the cello

- Pass his music syllabus exams, the National Latin Exam, and the National Spanish Exam

- Continue learning to code

Family Goals

We are still up in the air about going abroad, though it is less than a month away that Dh goes to the job fair. The online classes are a big part if this so we do not qualify as "homeschoolers" internationally.

Personal Goals

I am joining the "going back to school" crowd. More than anything this next few months is taking a stack of CLEP tests to show I still know how to do things from the way back, ancient times of the first college go around. Apparently, a stack of classes

no longer count. I will be brushing up on my math from Algebra to Calculus and a nice little pile of sciences as well. After as many opt-outs as possible, I will be plowing through coursework to recertify myself to teach middle school. Gracious, so much has changed!

• Like 5

Dd14 is my only one still homeschooling. She has a couple things in the works with her music "career" at the moment, one thing is still up in the air waiting on lawyers to figure things out and final confirmation (some things are a little more difficult when one is still a minor no matter how talented) so I don't want to go into too much detail unless it works out (if it does it will be a lot of work for the next few months but very exciting for her and kinda fun for me, too) and the other is a huge step for her but I am not sure what it will be mean or where it will lead. 

Quoting myself...LOL

Well, one really cool thing in the works...a six week tour with an Irish dance show in France, is not going to work out. Bummer, as I would have gotten to go along and the music director is someone she has worked with for the past three summers at a camp and whom she really loves to work with. Unfortunately, French child labor laws are very strict about some things. There were two exceptions needed and they would allow one but not the other. So...she will have to wait until she is 16 for that opportunity (or tour with them in another country). Kind of silly because, for dd, the experience would have been the time of her life...doing something she absolutely loves to do (arranging and playing music with musicians she knows and loves) while touring a country she has been wanting to visit for three years plus getting some practice on the French she is learning...she just would have happened to be getting paid to do it.

As one door closes (for the moment), another has opened just this week. She (along with her mum, of course) has been offered the opportunity to visit the children at the orphanage in Bangkok she has been raising money for for the past four years. One of the musicians lives in Thailand nearly half the year and he along with the orphanage director would like her to visit. Still working out details as the opportunity just presented itself. Now her goal is to learn a few key phrases in Thai and about their culture.

• Like 5

Ds (Age 12)

- Continuing online honors/AP high school coursework. Annual goal of 3+ verifiable transcript credits

- Further develop written response essays with speed and depth of thought. (SAT and AP prep, shooting for 45 minute essay)

- Executive function skills of time management, note taking, asking for help, developing personal studying style

- Begin classroom presentations/trainings encouraging youth to use their civil liberties for enacting political change

- Begin learning either the violin or the cello

- Pass his music syllabus exams, the National Latin Exam, and the National Spanish Exam

- Continue learning to code

Family Goals

We are still up in the air about going abroad, though it is less than a month away that Dh goes to the job fair. The online classes are a big part if this so we do not qualify as "homeschoolers" internationally.

Personal Goals

I am joining the "going back to school" crowd. More than anything this next few months is taking a stack of CLEP tests to show I still know how to do things from the way back, ancient times of the first college go around. Apparently, a stack of classes

no longer count. I will be brushing up on my math from Algebra to Calculus and a nice little pile of sciences as well. After as many opt-outs as possible, I will be plowing through coursework to recertify myself to teach middle school. Gracious, so much has changed!

That's a lot of stuff you've got going on! Good luck to your DH on the job fair and to you with school. I'm finding the math coming back easier than I thought, and I credit that to homeschooling. :)

Quoting myself...LOL

Well, one really cool thing in the works...a six week tour with an Irish dance show in France, is not going to work out. Bummer, as I would have gotten to go along and the music director is someone she has worked with for the past three summers at a camp and whom she really loves to work with. Unfortunately, French child labor laws are very strict about some things. There were two exceptions needed and they would allow one but not the other. So...she will have to wait until she is 16 for that opportunity (or tour with them in another country). Kind of silly because, for dd, the experience would have been the time of her life...doing something she absolutely loves to do (arranging and playing music with musicians she knows and loves) while touring a country she has been wanting to visit for three years plus getting some practice on the French she is learning...she just would have happened to be getting paid to do it.

As one door closes (for the moment), another has opened just this week. She (along with her mum, of course) has been offered the opportunity to visit the children at the orphanage in Bangkok she has been raising money for for the past four years. One of the musicians lives in Thailand nearly half the year and he along with the orphanage director would like her to visit. Still working out details as the opportunity just presented itself. Now her goal is to learn a few key phrases in Thai and about their culture.

I'm sorry about the dance tour but the chance to visit the orphanage sounds so wonderful.

• Like 1

That's a lot of stuff you've got going on! Good luck to your DH on the job fair and to you with school. I'm finding the math coming back easier than I thought, and I credit that to homeschooling. :)

Yeah, it is a lot. I am a bit uncomfortable with how much. The timeline of going abroad makes things in fast foward a bit. Ds is also becoming increasingly interested in high end boarding schools which filter into Ivy League colleges as a route of high school. Ugh. There is so much that seems to go into the resume for these schools in order to get a scholarship and it all has to be outside verified.

We will persevere, but there might be a bit of sleeping in and wine drinking on the weekends!

• Like 1

My oldest is almost 8, and I'm feeling him pull away.  It's the pre-preteen years.  lol  So, besides the obvious 3 R's, I want to do more together things.  Like baking.  Found this book titled "Cook Me a Story".  Now he knows all the fairy tales in this book, but I think it'll be fun to bake something along with it. There are other books similar to this as well.  I can also do this activity with my other 2 kids. 

I also subscribe to tinker crate, doodle crate and Ivy kids because I'm just not that organized. 

He is excited about his chess classes and math circle.  However, if I left it up to him, he wouldn't mind exploring more xbox videos.  lol

My oldest is almost 8, and I'm feeling him pull away.  It's the pre-preteen years.  lol  So, besides the obvious 3 R's, I want to do more together things.  Like baking.  Found this book titled "Cook Me a Story".  Now he knows all the fairy tales in this book, but I think it'll be fun to bake something along with it. There are other books similar to this as well.  I can also do this activity with my other 2 kids. 

I also subscribe to tinker crate, doodle crate and Ivy kids because I'm just not that organized. 

He is excited about his chess classes and math circle.  However, if I left it up to him, he wouldn't mind exploring more xbox videos.  lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

This is my first time on this board and I am excited to participate. My kiddos goals for 2017:

DS 10(Thinker) - Complete Saxon Calculus (he is in the last few chapters of the Saxon Advanced math).

He also loves the MIT Open Course Ware classes and will continue with the Physics classes that he is interested in. Physics is his passion, esp. Particle Physics.

Get to red belt in Taekwondo

Practice on the piano for at least 45 minutes everyday

Start Cello lessons(per his request)

Swim at least twice a week

Go to the next level in his coding class (as he is very much in MOD Design and has completed a couple of Minecraft courses from Youth Digital)

Arduino projects with brother

Start French

DS8  (Tinker)- Complete TT Pre-Algebra (he is half way through it) and TT Algebra

Practice piano for at least 45 minutes everyday

Get to Green belt in Taekwondo

Swim at least twice a week 

He is starting ALICE in coding and a Robotics class

Build new sets of Lego Architecture (this is my hands on builder who can build and fix most things)

Arduino projects with brother

Start French

Family goal: Travel to UK and France  in the summer

Personal goal: Learn to quilt

• Like 4

He is starting ALICE in coding 

I want my kids to start Alice too.

Is it an online class? 

Edited by rushhush08

• 3 months later...

I always love these threads on the AL board, I get so inspired by your kids!

(I didn't see a thread for this year, if there is one already, I can delete this one.)

Runningkids goals:

DS 10 - He wants to build a video game console from scratch.  (Learn circuitry, 3D printing, necessary coding) He also wants to write a book!  I've decided that along with Spanish, read alouds and math, these 2 things will round out his "school" for the rest of the year.  He plays piano and is joining the piano jazz group at our conservatory so this seems pretty well rounded?  I'm going with it for now. It feels right.

DD 6 - learn to ride a 2 wheeler

DS 6 - learn to tie shoes and how to swim.  (He's a sensory kid who hates being underwater so this is a tough one.)

Mid year check-in! 

DS 10 - currently working on his sci-fi novel, it's going well.  The 3d printing of a game console got put on the back burner, in exchange for more dj mixing, music making.

DD 6 - can now ride a two wheeler!  It only took her friend down the street taking off his training wheels.  She was NOT going to be shown up. :)

DS 7 - we haven't worked on the shoe tying or swimming, but he also learned to ride a two-wheeler, which I didn't think he'd be able to do this year!

• Like 2

• TKD black belts if possible (but it will take a lot more focus than we had last year).
  • I'd like the kids to take on serious cooking duties.
  • Adopt a path at the nearby national park (ongoing service project).
  • Many less-defined aspirations such as gymnastics skills, scout badges, books read, science projects, improving instrumental music, doing well in school ....

My update as the school year comes to a close:

• We haven't been to TKD at all since the above post.  Hoping to start up again in July.  Black belt will not happen in 2017.  :(
  • They are cooking more, but not really as much as I hoped.  Still hoping to tackle this over the summer.
  • After looking at the requirements for "adopt a path," I decided it makes more sense for us to volunteer on someone else's path this year.  We haven't started this yet - hopefully in July.
  • Reasonable progress on that 4th bullet.  :P

Other:

• Kids finally discovered how much fun it is to bike around town.  They are enjoying more independence.

Seems like there were other things, but none come to mind that are worthy of their own bullet.  :P

• Like 1