Menu

Please explain American math

rose

I'm an ignorant Canadian and I'm wondering if someone here could fill me in on the normal course for public school math in America.

Here in BC we just do math 9, 10, 11 and 12. If you're really bright you can take calculus in 12th as well or an AP version of math 12. If you're not math inclined after math 10 is finished you can do consumer math instead of math 11 and 12. Math each year covers units on geometry, trig, algebra (or pre-algebra), statistics, etc. We don't do separate classes for these things.

Edited by Rose M
  • Like 1

Typically Pre-Algebra is 7th or 8th grade. Algebra starts in 8th or 9th. However, it's not terribly uncommon for kids in rich, affluent school districts to start earlier or kids in struggling districts to do Pre-Algebra in 9th or even 10th grade.

Some districts are changing to more like the Canadian system. The course called "Pre-Algebra" includes some "pre-geometry" content in most places.

Remember that there's no such thing as "American math" because each state sets their own course to some extent and some states give individual districts a great deal of power as well.

• Like 2

It depends on the child.

I'm not sure if the years/ages are the same in Canada, but here's how the grade levels work:

1st grade--kids are about 6 years old.

2nd grade--7 years old, etc.

Traditionally there have been two tracks: the regular kids and the advanced kids.

Regular kids have pre-Alg in 8th grade (13 years old)

Advanced kids have pre-Alg in 7th grade (12 years old)

And it goes from there:

Regular:

8th: pre-alg

9th: alg I

10th: Geometry

11th: alg II

12th Trig

Advanced

7th: pre-alg

8th: alg I

9th: geo

10th: alg II

11th: trig

12th: pre calc

But there variations. My husband went to a school where he was extra advanced, so he started with pre-alg in 6th and made it all the way through calc by his 12th grade.

And some people start later and don't get to alg I, alg Ii, and geo until 10th-12th.

But I do think that traditionally you are on the regular or advanced track in most schools.

Someone else chime in if I'm wrong.

Edited by Garga

You know what? I totally forgot the kids that don't finish up the traditional track. There are kids who stop the alg and geometry track at some point and do consumer math. I can't remember where they generally stop. Before Alg II? Hopefully someone else knows.

I have a feeling that there will be lots of different answers. When I was a kid, Trig was a separate class. I wonder if Common Core deals with this? Keeps everyone progressing the same way?

OP: I think my answers on this thread are far from definitive and wish I hadn't written them. The more I was typing, the more I was thinking, "Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about..." :D

When I was in school Trig was not a separate class for all kids. It was incorporated into Algebra II and Pre-Calc.

This.  I've seen Trig incorporated into Algebra II, PreCalc, or both, but I've never seen it as a standalone course unless it's just a semester.  Also, many/most kids going into a STEM field would go on to take Calculus in 12th.  There are two versions of AP Calculus, AB which is equivalent to a semester of College Calc, and BC which is equivalent to two semesters of College Calc.

• Like 1

Trig was a separate course at my school for the standard track kids - it was "Algebra III/Trig." It was basically part of Algebra II and all of Trig for kids who likely wouldn't go on to do Calculus at all. Except there were people like me who had started on the honors track then decided to get off. So then we took that class and then a Statistics class that was basically like the sort of stats class you'd take in college for social sciences or something.

I think there are probably a million variations. I'd agree that...

Pre-Algebra

Algebra I

Geometry

Algebra II

Pre-Calculus

Calculus

...is the most standard path in American schools, with Pre-Algebra starting in 7th or 8th grade, and that all other paths are basically variations of that. For students who struggle, I'd say most students don't go past Geometry and that there may be classes like "Consumer Math" offered instead of higher levels.

• Like 2

Yeah,Trig was part of Algebra II when I was in High School in the 90s.

7th Pre-Algebra

8th Algebra I

9th Geometry

10th Algebra II/Trig

11th Pre-Calculus

I never took Calc in 12th, but that would have been the next step. I didn't take Calc until college and then I think it was business calculus? It gets a bit fuzzy.

There were kids who didn't take Pre-Algebra until 8th, but I have no idea what they took in 7th because everyone I knew was in Pre-Algebra. And yes, it is totally regional just based upon the varied responses here.

A few years ago a group of states tried to switch to Canadian math. It was a disaster because of the amount of moving Americans do. In our current district the sequence is:

7th pre-algebra

8th algebra

9th analytical geometry

10th algebra 2 first semester/ trig second semester

11th pre calc

12th calc

This is the track required for everyone to qualify for a none special education diploma.

When I was in school Trig was not a separate class for all kids. It was incorporated into Algebra II and Pre-Calc.

This was my school too.

Freshman year - Algebra I

Sophomore year - Algebra II/Trig was one class, and if you wanted to take Calc senior year, you took Geometry at the same time

Junior Year - Algebra III/Trig

Senior Year - Calculus

A few years ago a group of states tried to switch to Canadian math. It was a disaster because of the amount of moving Americans do. In our current district the sequence is:

7th pre-algebra

8th algebra

9th analytical geometry

10th algebra 2 first semester/ trig second semester

11th pre calc

12th calc

This is the track required for everyone to qualify for a none special education diploma.

Your district requires calculus for everyone?

Where we live the most common path is 

6th or 7th: Math 7 

7th or 8th: Algebra

8th or 9th: Geometry

9th or 10th: Algebra 2

10th or 11th: Precalc

11th or 12th: Calc

12th: various options 

But you can insert a year of pre-algebra between Math 7 and Algebra, and/or take Algebra 2 over 2 year, and once you get through Algebra and Geometry there are classes such as statistics you can substitute for the higher level courses. 

In order to graduate you need 4 courses that are Algebra 1 or higher, and you either need to take math your senior year or you need to finish calculus. 

• Like 1

I'd say it is part of the first chapter of Algebra 1. The rest of the chapter 1 would cover graphing those linear equations.

Graphing the equations is a later chapter in all three of the Algebra 1 books sitting on my shelf at the moment. I mean, the first chapter of Jacobs is all just the four operations, integers, order of operations, etc.

I'd say Hands on Equations is solidly pre-algebra content because it's teaching how to think about algebra without teaching a ton of the nuts and bolts. There's some nuts and bolts, but it's more an overarching approach, like an introduction. That's why I think of it as clearly supplemental. It gets a kid ready to dive into algebra with the right way of thinking.

• Like 2

Your district requires calculus for everyone?

I think most of the responses are assuming an honors or high average level student in a decent school system. Even for a student like that, many would cap out at Pre-Calc. I think a path like...

9th: Pre-algebra

10th: Algebra 1

11th: second try at passing Algebra 1 (or "Algebra 1 Part 2" after taking "Part 1" or something like that)

12th: Geometry or Consumer math

...is not uncommon. I think nearly every state requires Algebra 1 to graduate now, but there are states that don't absolutely require Geometry. And there are still states that only require 2 math credits to graduate.

If you look at the graduation requirements listed here by state, it looks like less than half actually require Algebra 2. And like many skirt requiring Geometry by saying things like "must include geometry content" which is clearly a way of saying it has to be covered, but doesn't have to meet the standard of a "real" Geometry class.

http://ecs.force.com/mbdata/mbprofall?Rep=HS01

• Like 1

If you look at the graduation requirements listed here by state, it looks like less than half actually require Algebra 2. And like many skirt requiring Geometry by saying things like "must include geometry content" which is clearly a way of saying it has to be covered, but doesn't have to meet the standard of a "real" Geometry class.

http://ecs.force.com/mbdata/mbprofall?Rep=HS01

Yeah, I don't think my state requires any specific math class for graduation. Apparently up until 2016 all you needed to graduate was 2 credits of math. The class of 2017 have to have 3 credits, up to one of which can be earned by a computer science class or a career and technical education course. There is no requirement beyond that as to which classes those 3 credits have to be from.

However, if you want to go to the state university, they're a lot more specific on which math classes you have to have to get in. So, I'd say my math sequence in the 90s was geared less towards graduation requirements and more towards college admissions requirements. I suspect the same is still true today.

• Like 3

There is a state requirement but here each district is allowed to set it's own graduation requirements that are voted on by the people who live in that district. I live in an elitist area with mostly high value (7 figure) houses with a couple middle class neighborhoods (me) and 1 income based apartment complex thrown in to keep taxes down. Every incoming freshman starting in 2012-13 year has to have calculus to graduate. At 16 (this states legal age to drop out with parent permission) this districts school counselors starts "encouraging" the children who can't meet these requirements to get a ged and start community college or drop out and go to votech school. It's disgusting and doesn't count against their graduation rates as these kids are "continuing their education". I have had 2 go through the high school and the education is superb but the kids are a nightmare and the parents are even worse.

There is a state requirement but here each district is allowed to set it's own graduation requirements that are voted on by the people who live in that district. 

But even that varies by state. Not all states allow districts to do that.

Honestly, I think requiring all students to take calculus for a high school diploma harms a large segment of the school population. Yes, even among rich kids there are kids who aren't best served by that.

• Like 2

I think most of the responses are assuming an honors or high average level student in a decent school system. 

I was responding to this:

I agree that what she posted is a pretty standard track for honors students these days, but I have trouble imagining that it's the only option that leads to graduation.  I haven't seen any districts that require 5 years of high school math, or that don't offer options for slowing things down or skipping calculus, so I was surprised.  

Here it varies depending on the track you are on

7th  - integrated 7th grade math

or

honors - Pre-Algebra

8th -  integrated 8th grade math

or

honors - Algebra I

9th - Algebra I

or Geometry

or Honors Geometry

10th - Geometry 

or honors Geometry

or Algebra II

or Honors Algebra II

11th - Algebra II

or Honors Algebra II

or Pre-Calc

or Honors Pre-Calc

12th - Pre-Calc

or Honors Pre-Calc - 

or Calculus (College Prep)

or AP Calc

There are also a variety of other math courses available including 4 years worth of Accounting classes, Personal Finance and Math Modeling.

This is very similar to the math progression when I graduated in the 80's from a different school system in the state.  We don't have school districts here -Each town or city is their own school system with the exception of some towns so small that they needs to combine with another.

Personal Finance is a graduation requirement for the state, but it is an elective version of the class referenced above.

• Like 1

All of the middle school math sequences I've seen (called course 1, 2, 3) are integrated and include about 1/2 pre-algebra, 1/4 pre-geometry, and 1/4 statistics & probability. The newer Common Core high school books are more integrated too. Algebra 1 incorporated some geometry (mainly using factoring & multiplying polynomials to determine surface area and volume) and had a chapter on probability and statistics. I'm looking through my son's new geometry book and it reviews algebra throughout, plus it includes a chapter on probability. The focus is more on geometry and applying algebra to geometry, but they are not totally separate topics.

Our district:

"7th grade math" which I assume is equivalent to prealgebra (there is also an "8th grade math" which I assume is for kids who need more "7th grade math")

Algebra I--taken in 6th (very rare), 7th, 8th (most common), or 9th grade (and sometimes even after 9th grade)

Geometry (with a bit of trig)

Algebra II (with a bit more trig)

Precalculus (with the rest of trig)

After precalculus students can take:

AP Calculus AB

AP Calculus BC (these are taken in successive years even though the course descriptions say that BC can be taken in place of AB)

AP Statistics

After geometry students can take:

Consumer math (and then stop)

Edited by EKS

In my town, the standard track is:

8th: pre-a

9th: algebra

10th: geometry

11th: algebra 2

That ends required math. Advanced kids can start algebra as early as 7th. If a student is on that advanced track or chooses to continue, then comes Precalc, Calc AB, Calc BC, and dual enrollment. There are a small number of math electives that can be taken for either strong students or those struggling to complete three full credits of standard sequence high school math.

At my high school / city, this was the standard:

9th: algebra

10th: geometry

11th: Algebra II with trig thrown in

12th: calc I or pre-calc depending on the kid

About 40% of my class did:

8th: algebra

9th: geometry

10th: algebra II + trig

11th: pre-calc

12: calc I (AP calc)

I don't remember how they combined alegebra II and trig. 

Does this system mean that basically your year 12 achievement level is predetermined by where you are in grade 6 or thereabouts? Or can students 'catch up' by doing summer school or taking more than one math subject in a year?

Yes and yes.  Yes, the middle school math track typically determines what a student can finish by the end of high school - the big determinator being in what grade level the student takes algebra 1.  The math prior to algebra 1 is amenable to compaction into a shorter timeframe for higher-ability students.  And yes, a motivated high school student can *sometimes* find a way to squeeze in an extra course, such as in the summer, though in many public schools, that is a challenge - as the PP describes, in many locations it is difficult to find a full, non-remedial high school math course offered in summer, not to mention that summer courses (typically no longer than 6-8 weeks and usually more like 4) are not the greatest arrangement for learning math well.  Another alternative would be an online course that continues into the school year.  I don't know about high school math offered at CCs, though perhaps there may be summer courses that could work.

Depends on each school district and also each private school has their own math pathways. My state does not dictate math pathways except for completion of algebra 1 and geometry by end of high school.

If you look at page 6 of 6 in this PDF, you can see this private school has map out at least 7 pathways.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/422633/2015_2016_MathPlacement_Details.pdf?t=1433868214508

Does this system mean that basically your year 12 achievement level is predetermined by where you are in grade 6 or thereabouts? Or can students 'catch up' by doing summer school or taking more than one math subject in a year?'

It depends on what is available where you are and whether your parents can afford to pay for summer credit courses at private high schools. E.g, https://docs.google.com/document/d/17DcFScPdU1PN3DDpjvSu-RwTp8Q5XyIK3w0oplVxvPw/mobilebasic