Menu

Bat tipping Q

poppy

The setting : a 30 person holiday party at a private function room at a restaurant. It's a cash bar and we have our own bartender.

I tell a friend I am going to the bar to buy a drink.

She says "oh give me a glass of red wine" and has me a $20.

I get the red wine. There weren't options, just the open Cabernet he had. It is $9, so I pay $9 and tip the bartender $1 .I give back $10 change to my friend.

My drink was similarly overpriced ... I paid the cost of the drink plus a $1 tip from my own wallet.

I've always thought bar etiquette calls for about a tip of $1 a drink. Even more strongly so at small venues like this.

My friend was surprised I tipped $2 for 2 drinks. Not upset, but she clearly thought I was overly generous.

Who was right?

Was it wrong to tip from her $20 without explicitly asking?

To be clear no ones mad about $1- I'm just curious what your expectation would be.

We are in the US, HCOL town. $9 for a glass of wine is typical here (sad to say). My question is about tipping.

• Like 1

$1-2 per drink is pretty typical. In your situation where the drinks were $9, it would absolutely be typical to leave $1 each. In low COL areas, this might be lower, but you're not in one of those, so it's irrelevant.

Edited by Sun
  • Like 1

I thought it was about bat tipping too. We have bat caves in the cave system in our backyard, and those party animals rock the house all night long with their wings in the air like they just don't care...:zombie:

If your friend didn't want to tip $1.00, then she should have gotten her own drink. You were completely correct to tip on her behalf, and the amount was not too generous.

• Like 4

re: bat tipping, I thought this thread was going to be about disturbing hibernating bats, like cow tipping but with hibernating animals. We have caves where I'm from, so I've been informed it's a real threat to the population on many a nature field trip. :p

Same here!

As to the OP's question: a dollar tip sounds reasonable to me.

• Like 1

I thought it was about bat tipping too. We have bat caves in the cave system in our backyard, and those party animals rock the house all night long with their wings in the air like they just don't care... :zombie:

This made me  :lol: and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this might be about disturbing cave animals.

• Like 1

re: bat tipping, I thought this thread was going to be about disturbing hibernating bats, like cow tipping but with hibernating animals. We have caves where I'm from, so I've been informed it's a real threat to the population on many a nature field trip. :P

I was thinking the same thing :lol:

I didn't even know you were supposed to tip the bartender.

:blush:

Me either! We've only gone out for drinks maybe a couple of times though because we are too cheap. We do have a nice stock of liquor for mixing our own drinks though. ;) Thanks, Poppy, for the heads up about tipping.

ETA: A nice stock to us is probably really not to others though. Lol

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

Yes to $1/glass, minimum.  As someone who likes drinks with 3 or more ingredients, I tend to tip more.  Being the holidays, I just tipped my waitress $10 on a $25 drink-only tab.  (Waitresses typically have to split with bar staff, fyi!  She did her own bussing, so I don't know if there was other splitting in addition to that.)