Menu

What ingredient do you double or halve if you see it in a recipe?

Anne in CA

I dunno, I actually halve chocolate chips because I like a large cookie to chocolate ratio.

I am not saying I am not a big chocolate fan and I don't eat tons of cookies but I like a lot of cookie to chocolate.

And I prefer my chocolate - lots of it - in baked goods, in a large chocolate to "other" ratio.

Unfortunately, I'm grain free due to an awful digestive system and hate all things kitchen, so I don't get much for baked goods anymore. I have to settle for a spoonful of peanut butter and a handful of chocolate chips unless my awesome SIL who loves baking takes pity on me and bakes me some grain free cookies or muffins.

• Like 1

I never add onions.  Yuck.  I always add more butter.  Yum

I usually add way more vegetables than what is called for.

I often omit the sugar in savory.  I cut way back on sweet.

Note to self: The two of us should never eat over at each others' houses!

Though yes! to doubling or tripling the veggies :)

• Like 2

I always add more garlic to recipes. They all call for too little for some reason.

I usually add more vanilla when baking anything. And more salt when baking cookies.

These are probably my most common changes as well.

Also I often halve the meat in a recipe like a casserole or lasagna, etc, or alternatively add extra vegetables/rice/whatever.  When we eat meat, we prefer it more as a condiment than as a main component.

• Like 1

I double wine in a lot of cases too.

Okay, since no one else has asked - 

Do you add it at the stove or at the table?

:D

I also cut the sugar in most baked goodies. I hate, hate, hate the trend of dessert being just different textures of overwhelming sweetness. Plus, too much sugar makes me feel ill.

• Like 3

I kept pushing the Nutmeg amount on a sugar cookie recipe.    10X the listed amount was fine.   14X was a little too much.  

I have teased my parents that they substitute Bulb for Clove in recipes with garlic.   

DH has an extremely heavy hand with spices.  So much that I insisted on an Oven Vent even though upper kitchen cabinets are at least a year away.    I also instituted a no physical contact for 48 hours after he goes to Genghis Grill.  The spices would just ooze from his pores.  

• Like 1

I kept pushing the Nutmeg amount on a sugar cookie recipe. 10X the listed amount was fine. 14X was a little too much.

That is a lot of nutmeg. I like nutmeg a lot (I'm constantly adding it to my creamed spinach, my mashed carrots, my potato soup), but I don't think I've ever put in 14x what the recipe states! Which is good. Wouldn't want to intoxicate myself.

• Like 1

I do a lot of substitutions due to allergies - almond milk instead of cow's milk, canned pumpkin instead of canned tomatoes.

Hold up. Pumpkin for tomatoes? Does that work in stuff like chili? I can't eat tomatoes much due to reflux, but I'm planning a batch of lentil chili this weekend and I happen to have an extra can of pumpkin in the pantry not earmarked for anything. Is it just a can for can substitute?

I really would like to eat chili without sprinkling Tums on it and adding a Zantac chaser.

• Like 1

Hold up. Pumpkin for tomatoes? Does that work in stuff like chili? I can't eat tomatoes much due to reflux, but I'm planning a batch of lentil chili this weekend and I happen to have an extra can of pumpkin in the pantry not earmarked for anything. Is it just a can for can substitute?

I really would like to eat chili without sprinkling Tums on it and adding a Zantac chaser.

I just made a lentil stew and substituted one can of pumpkin (not the kind with pie spices in it!) for one can of tomatoes.  The pumpkin gives the right kind of texture to the stew and the spices I did add made it so that it didn't taste pumpkiny.  (Or course, YMMV!)

• Like 2

Okay, since no one else has asked -

Do you add it at the stove or at the table?

:D

I also cut the sugar in most baked goodies. I hate, hate, hate the trend of dessert being just different textures of overwhelming sweetness. Plus, too much sugar makes me feel ill.

Usually to the recipe because I'm not much of a drinker :)

My Grandmother wasn't very bright at math.

She stated that all the ingredients were good, and if she could manage it she would double them all.

Yup, double all of them, so it would be twice as good.

:huh:

Who wants one when you can have two? Doubling the recipe could be a smart idea to halve the work of cooking. Edited by LucyStoner

I always put pumpkin IN my chili, and I've made chilis that have a sweet potato base instead of a tomato base, so I'll say... yes, it does work. You'll want to add a little stock, because pumpkin has less liquid in it than tomato.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2