Menu

So, how many of you here "like" or "know" the BeeGee's music??

C'mon, fess up.

I am cracking up!

I picked my 18yog up from work this evening and put in a BeeGee's cd to share a bit of "American culture" with her... hee-hee.

I was quite amazed at how many songs I know!!!

Don't know if I should be embarrassed and hiding under a rock or not!

What about you?

A study was done w/drs & med students doing CPR. AHA's new regs for compressions during CPR is 100 beats/min, which is quite fast. Drs & med students were told to do compressions to the beat of the song Staying Alive which has 103 beats/min. A few days later the same health professionals were told to do compressions again, this time *thinking* about the song. All of them averaged 113-119 beats per minute. Faster than the 100 beats rec by the AHA, but faster is better than slower when it comes to compressions!

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/health/September-October-08/Bee-Gees-Song-Helps-Doctors-Keep-CPR-Patients--Stayin--Alive-.html

I had a college roommate who was obsessed with the BeeGees.

It was not a good experience.

She played their music constantly ( oh oh telephone line give me some time I'm living in twilight ...) and she was sort of a nutcase. I forever associate the two -- in my mind, listening to BeeGees is a sign of mental imbalance. I also associate it with people who don't do laundry for an entire semester, and are beginning to smell.

She played their music constantly ( oh oh telephone line give me some time I'm living in twilight ...) and she was sort of a nutcase. I forever associate the two -- in my mind, listening to BeeGees is a sign of mental imbalance. I also associate it with people who don't do laundry for an entire semester, and are beginning to smell.

Too funny!

To OP, I know and like some BeeGees music. I think it's more dh's timeframe than mine.

However, now I'm reminded of my desire to inculcate a love of Duran Duran in my children. Must play while we drive anywhere and in the house all day long. Possibly have it playing at night while they're sleeping, too.

Who wants to come over to my house now, huh? Huh? *nodding*

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk

I'm a woman's man, no time to talk.

The music's loud and women warm,

I've been kicked around since I was born.

And now it's all right, it's okay,

you may look the other way.

We can try to understand

the New YorkTimes' effect on man.

Just stayin' alive over here!\

LOL. Seriously, I sing along when I hear the songs. One came on at Wegmans the other day while I was at work, and the entire pharmacy dept. was dancing and laughing!

Ria

Too funny!

To OP, I know and like some BeeGees music. I think it's more dh's timeframe than mine.

However, now I'm reminded of my desire to inculcate a love of Duran Duran in my children. Must play while we drive anywhere and in the house all day long. Possibly have it playing at night while they're sleeping, too.

Who wants to come over to my house now, huh? Huh? *nodding*

:lol:

I think I've already done this to my children...:D

We can try to understand

LOL. Seriously, I sing along when I hear the songs. One came on at Wegmans the other day while I was at work, and the entire pharmacy dept. was dancing and laughing!

Ria

Yes, I have always liked the BeeGees....at one oint I could sing every song....:001_smile:

You work at Wegmans?! I love that store......:lol:

OMG< Ria, now I finally know the words to Staying Alive! TY!!!

I'm old enough to know an awful lot of BeeGee's music. What cracks me up is that I finally figured out why I know the first lines of so many songs that are NOT of my generation--everything from classic country to 40's music to love songs from the 50's--

It's because I watched so much TV as a youth that I saw the K-Tel commericals (they sold collections of music) over and over. They'd scroll the titles and just play the first line of all the songs! Anyone else remember that?

C'mon, fess up.

I am cracking up!

I picked my 18yog up from work this evening and put in a BeeGee's cd to share a bit of "American culture" with her... hee-hee.

I was quite amazed at how many songs I know!!!

Don't know if I should be embarrassed and hiding under a rock or not!

What about you?

i'll fess up with a disclaimer: i'm a big fan of their first round of fame. songs like "To Love Somebody," "Words," or "New York Mining Disaster 1941." those songs still bring a tear to my eye.

the disco age Bee Gees never grabbed me.

Edited by Deidre in GA

It's because I watched so much TV as a youth that I saw the K-Tel commericals (they sold collections of music) over and over. They'd scroll the titles and just play the first line of all the songs! Anyone else remember that?

K-Tel ads were great! Do they not exist anymore? What a shame -- how will our children make their way through the world without K-Tel Presents.

I recently listened to Jive Talkin, which isn't as cool as I remember it being when I used to roller skate to it but still made me smile.

...I also have "More Than a Woman". :blush:

My kids always say..."It's the Mice Guys!!" (due to their high voices) when they come on.

ETA: I even had the album (and saw the movie) where Peter Frampton and the BeeGees remade Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club. I think that's serious fandom, lol. (I also had a Peter Frampton hairdo, as an eleven or twelve year old, lol.)

Edited by Jill, OK

She played their music constantly ( oh oh telephone line give me some time I'm living in twilight ...)

I remember ELO (Electric Light orchestra) doing that song... I don't know if the BeeGees did or not.

One time in college, my senior year roommate and I won stereo wars by playing the BeeGees and Shawn Cassidy. a freshman on the floor had loud punk rock music going. We turned our LP's on full blast in the direction of the other people. The other people asked us to turn down our music. We said "when he turns off that stuff, we're lower the volume."

We won :lol:

-crystal

LOL I do "like" the BeeGees but I am an Electric Light Orchestra/Jeff Lynne fanatic. They are the ones that did "Telephone Line" :D

OK - now I have "Disco Duck" running through my head. Yes - I owned that album in middle school - I believe it was K-tel as well.

I was more into Andy Gibb than the the BeeGees, but my friends and I were happy that they released Saturday Night Fever in a PG version so that we could all see it. (This in the days before PG-13 which it probably should have been!

We can try to understand

I always had NO clue what those lyrics were. Thanks, Ria!

I thought the song, Telephone Line, was an Electric Light Orchestra song. Did the BeeGees do a version? I like the ELO and the BeeGees, by the way! :lol::lol:

We can try to understand

Ria

Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother

You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Feel the city breakin' and everybody shakin'

We're stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Ah-ha-ha-ha stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Ah-ha-ha-ha stayin' aliiiii iiiii iiii iiiive...oh!

:D:D Yes, I like them too. The kids and I will put in a "best of" album and dance and dance - it's a great workout!

I remember ELO (Electric Light orchestra) doing that song... I don't know if the BeeGees did or not.

YOU'RE RIGHT!

I guess I had a mental block about ELO. GAH! It was ELO that I was traumatized by, not the BeeGees. I take back what I said about BeeGee-lovers being mentally unbalanced and needing to do their laundry (which isn't to imply Dana in OR doesn't do her laundry, ahem ... but I'm glad her name isn't Vicky, or I'd wonder if she was my long lost roommate).

It does sort of sound like the BeeGees, though -- that same chirpy sound through the chorus.

Edited by GailV

YOU'RE RIGHT!

I guess I had a mental block about ELO. GAH! It was ELO that I was traumatized by, not the BeeGees. I take back what I said about BeeGee-lovers being mentally unbalanced and needing to do their laundry (which isn't to imply Dana in OR doesn't do her laundry, ahem ... but I'm glad her name isn't Vicky, or I'd wonder if she was my long lost roommate).

It does sort of sound like the BeeGees, though -- that same chirpy sound through the chorus.

LOL. Gail, if you knew how behind I am in doing laundry you'd probably think I was Vicky. But I swear I'm only behind because I've been working outside and cooking so much lately. My family, the nerve of them, want to EAT all the time. I think I should only have to cook one or two meals a day, not three. How am I supposed to get anything done around here? ELO gets me though quite a bit I tell you. My 4 year old is in love with the song, "Roll Over Beethoven" !!!

~Dana

I hadn't thought about them in quit some time and was in hysterics recently when our pastor came over to visit us during lunch. He serenaded my girls to the Bee Gees. He knows every lyric. He is a nut case, too. After the Bee Gees, he got down on one knee and sang Frank and Nancy's duet. They put their heads down in total giggling embarrassment at the line. "...and then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like, I love you." They had never heard anything like it. He was good, too.

But, yah, I always liked the Bee Gees.