Menu

What gifts do you give to your adult kids?

Isabella

I usually give money, but this year I recently bought curtains for my DD and her hubby as a joint xmas present. They just moved into a new rental with no curtains.

I may buy my second DD a set of paleo cookbooks as she frequently is interested in mine and is embracing paleo way of eating, but then....she's always short of money so maybe I'm better off sticking with that!

Youngest DD is in another state having a Uni break and working for the year. No clue what to get her.

None of us will be together this xmas day... Not that it makes much difference in the question of gifts.

So I'm interested to know what kind of things people get their kids...it might help me to be a bit more imaginative, or maybe to realise cash is king!

I buy what they ask for because it's usually something they need that they don't want to pay for themselves.

Dd24: I already paid to have a ring resized and a small emerald stone replaced in another ring. Next month I'm paying for her passport.

Ds20: He wants a new graphics card for his computer which requires a new power supply something or other. We'll help pay for that. He has to have it before Christmas so dd's boyfriend can help install it.

Dd18: She's away at college. There is nothing she needs except money. She worked last summer saving up money to use while away at school but it's dwindling faster than she anticipated and has asked for gift cards and/or cash.

This is the first Christmas I've ever had in my 48 years of life where we'll have no wrapped gifts under the tree.

• Like 1

All of my adult kids love their Ove Gloves.  

I got all of them warm, wool socks this year.

I think they would love gift cards for favorite places to eat, gas, Amazon, etc.  Money is appreciated by my college students.  

I usually get them personalized ornaments.  

We've gotten them tools and car stuff in the past (mylar blankets, tire gauge, car emergency kit stuff, etc.)

ds1 - he wants a new suitcase, bookbag, nice pillow...I want him to choose exactly what he wants, though.  I got him a travel pillow and silicone mat for cooking/baking.  

ds2 - external hard drive, electric toothbrush

ds3 - earbuds, kitchen stuff since he'll be getting his own place after graduation, clothes

I do not have adult children, but I am an adult child with seven adult siblings. :) 

My mother usually gets her adult children and their spouses a household gift. Over the years dh and I have received new bedding, a stand mixer, dishes, curtains, kitchen knives, etc. There was one year that she paid for a two night rental of a cabin at a nearby state park instead of the usual household item (state parks have great deals for weekday rentals over the winter.) That was nice too. 

• Like 1

So I'm interested to know what kind of things people get their kids...it might help me to be a bit more imaginative, or maybe to realise cash is king!

1dd wants cooking stuff, she cooks/bakes to relax.  and I've given her cooking stuff the last few years.  dh ran out and bought her an expensive item after I'd already started shopping for her.  other stuff can be for her bd next month.

2dd . . she and dsil have fall bds, so I gave them cash for their bds and a housewarming gift (they just bought a house - so a "new  house" christmas ornament).  she used it to buy a christmas tree and the costco nativity set.  they won't be here for christmas. sad. but I've sent them things for their hobbies, and a few gardening items.  (since, they have their own yard now.)  they year she got engaged, I bought her a queen comforter and duvet (she was at 1dd's house and a queen beds). . .she kept telling me  she would be fine with a twin. I bought them before she started dating dsil.  they were talking about getting married thanksgiving weekend.

1ds . . . is not being helpful.  he asked for a new toothbrush.  (costco sells a set of two with replacement heads.) 

2ds .. loves canned whipped cream.  so, I bought him the 'make your own' canister set with cartridges.    he also wants a rug to go under his desk.  and nutella - becasue he loves it.

dudeling . . . isn't an adult, but I got him a new comforter (which he's been asking for.)

I've still got more stuff to get... . need to get a move on.

oh, my bff is into dragons.  1dd suggested I get her dragons.  her house burned down last spring, so she lost a lot of stuff.  (she's getting a fully remodeled house for less.)

Ds1 has asked for an electric toothbrush. For his b-day last month he wanted Pyrex. Ds2 wants a new hydroflask. We're also helping them improve their home work areas, mostly by providing more substantial desks/tables to support their computers and art projects.

I got one dd and her dh an instant pot, and in their "family basket" I am putting some stainless measuring spoons/cups and other little kitchen gadgets. They were on a tight military budget when they furnished their kitchen, so I've been gradually upgrading their stuff in between other, more fun, gifts. This is the first year in their new house (they have moved back to the area and purchased their first home), so I knew I'd get them something for their household. I got them each a separate gift to wrap as well (dd a big sweatshirt covered in unicorns because she's obsessed with unicorns, and her dh is getting a new electric razor).

My oldest dd and her dh are getting either a really good knife, or a gift card to Sur La Table to go together and purchase one. They are living in a small house on our property while they build, and most of their stuff is in storage, so it's a good year to get them something small. I know a great kitchen knife was a luxury for me until about a couple years ago. Dd cooks a lot, so it'll be a really well-liked gift. In addition, I am getting her a couple of the anchor hocking batter bowls with lids, and getting her dh something else too, but I haven't decided what yet.

My third dd is single and lives at home. She always wants clothes, accessories, makeup, etc., and that's pretty much what she's getting. She also gets a stocking with all kinds of useful goodies (LOTS of cute socks - I always get this dd about 10 pair of cute, printed no-show socks for fun).

My adult son lives at home also, and he is getting clothes, cologne, nice socks, boxer briefs, and fun goodies in his stocking.

**I do "family baskets" for my adult kids with families. I feel like one stocking from Santa is enough for the little ones, but I LOVE buying little goodies, so I do a family basket. I put a family item (usually a game or movie) then small goodies for each adult and child in that family. I wrap up some of the little stuff too, so the kids will have extra little surprises to open. This is the tradition I started when my first grandchild was born because we didn't want to overdo Santa (although I still overdo).

Not sure what we are getting this year since their big present is an expensive vacation.  That said, we bought the girls some jewelry as stocking stuffers, both a ornament for dd1 and her husband, and I don['t know what else we will get. 

Last year we got dd2 a set of pots and pans and knifes.  We have bought Henckel knife for our son. I can't remember what we got DD1 and her husband though I do remember that he got a bunch of fishing lures.  I know one year recently we bought camping equipment for dd and her husband. WE often buy caving gear for Ds. 

Clothes that they want or would love. Gift certificates for food.

I think they appreciate the food gift certificates.

My adult child is of the broke college student variety. I am sure it will change when they are more established as an adult.

Edited by xixstar

One of the most interesting and thoughtful gifts my mom got me was this year's birthday gift, one of those Ancestry DNA test kits. She got it on sale and awe both like it because when the results get back it'll bring about more family bonding and conversation.

None of us will be together this xmas day...

So I'm interested to know what kind of things people get their kids...

Like you, we will not be spending Christmas with our daughter.

I actually finished her shopping VERY early.  My daughter lives and works in South Korea, and she invited my husband to come visit for Father's Day in June.  I took advantage of his trip to send along presents for Christmas. 

Many of these items were purchased used so the total cost was probably about $50.00.  She will be getting:

Ishmael (Star Trek) by Barbara Hambly (used)

a pair of Josef Seibel suede pumps (used)

a jacket with a tuxedo collar made of sweatshirt fabric (used)

two Trader Joe's pound plus chocolate bars (NOT used and hopefully not melted by now)

a couple of packages of new underwear

a hat knitting kit with yarn and knitting needles (new but bought at a thrift store)

a couple of cardigans (used)

I think she'll be quite pleased.  We'll probably use Skype and open our packages together.

Regards,

Kareni

This year we're giving our DD24 money toward a plane ticket for her friend's destination wedding in June. We're also paying for almost all of DGD's Christmas presents including those from Santa. I'll do a stocking for DD as well and take DGD shopping so she can pick out something for her mommy. This just might be our last Christmas with the girls living with us and I wish we could do something else but life is expensive and other big expenses cropped up over the last few months (medical co pays, car repairs) and I'll have to settle with knowing that we were able to provide DD with those funds.

Edited by Scoutermom