Menu

I'm torturing my son today. I do this a couple times a year.

Ginevra

You would not believe the evil scheme I cooked up for DS-almost-12 today. I made him try on his dress clothes! pants that don't have the word "sweat" anywhere in their name. Itchy sweaters that make him look like an adorable New England prep school student. Neckties! Gasp!

He's trying to decide which is the least objectionable that he can actually be expected to wear for a few continuous hours tomorrow and Christmas. I think we've settled on a navy and cream sweater with grey cargo pants for Thanksgiving; a plaid flannel shirt for Christmas with black cords. Forget the ties.

Oh, and last year I bought a shirt in a washed red on sale at TCP that he insists is "pink" and therefore, out of the question.

I have gone wrong in my leniency somehow.

• Like 21

I'm not as mean as you. But with the weather turning to winter, when my boys go outside I tell them wearing pants (instead of shorts) would be smart. I also insisted that they take pants with them when we went to Gramma's house last weekend. 

2 years ago my boys insisted that if it was -10 C or warmer, and they weren't playing in snow then pants weren't needed. 

Happily this year, they consider 0 pants weather. 

• Like 4

LOL.

Though I'm curious to know why he is expected to dress up--are there going to be formal photos?

No, not formal photos, but photos. I'd like the record to show he was clean and neat once or twice a year.

• Like 13

You are a very bad person.

You probably cook the poor child's dinner in a Crock Pot and leave your shopping cart out in the middle of the parking lot.

:svengo:

And fail to bring in cupcakes on his birthday.

• Like 7

Most of my kids won't touch jeans with a ten foot pole. Too stiff.

Same here. My older son would not touch them until he was around 14. Younger DS still hates jeans with an almighty passion. One of the pairs of pants he rejected were "like jeans."

• Like 2

I think 12 year old boys think pretty much all clothing is itchy. Must be because your son's reactions sound like mine!

Thankfully, we're staying home tomorrow so he can wear what he wants! Christmas may be another story.

I think you're wise to forego the ties.

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 2

You would not believe the evil scheme I cooked up for DS-almost-12 today. I made him try on his dress clothes! pants that don't have the word "sweat" anywhere in their name. Itchy sweaters that make him look like an adorable New England prep school student. Neckties! Gasp!

He's trying to decide which is the least objectionable that he can actually be expected to wear for a few continuous hours tomorrow and Christmas. I think we've settled on a navy and cream sweater with grey cargo pants for Thanksgiving; a plaid flannel shirt for Christmas with black cords. Forget the ties.

Oh, and last year I bought a shirt in a washed red on sale at TCP that he insists is "pink" and therefore, out of the question.

That is child abuse!!!!! 

LOL

• Like 1

he needs to keep up.  Pink is powerful.

in high school 1ds had a black shirt that said "all my pink shirts are dirty".

dd got a purple  gun (seriously) for her birthday.  he immediately texted her and wanted to know why she didn't get pink - pink is powerful.  ;p

• Like 1

I guess I'm lucky that the extended family are all jeans and T-shirts types. But I must admit that I sort of miss getting dressed up a bit for holiday the way we did when I was a kid. Everyone looked nice and the day had a more special feel to it. But my kids would be fussing about wearing dress clothes, too. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 3

I'm impressed he even owns dress up clothes (aka anything at all besides athletic wear). We had to buy my son a dress shirt and tie last year for hockey, and he hated it so much I swear that's one of the reasons he lost interest.

Good luck tomorrow, mean mama!

;)

• Like 2

Long ago my boys had their first piano recital. the teacher said to just wear a nice shirt and pants. This was when I realized that my boys only pants they owned were snow pants. No sweat pants, no pj pants, ... Just shorts.

We dress up for church so my son has a white button down, tie and khakis that he wears every week, but we had an event last year where that would have been too dressy. However he literally had nothing else but graphic t-shirts! Nothing in between!

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 2

We dress up for church so my son has a white button down, tie and khakis that he wears every week, but we had an event last year where that would have been too dressy. However he literally had nothing else but graphic t-shirts! Nothing in between!

We don't go to church, so all we have is graphic t-shirts and exercise shorts, and some athletic pants. (My Mom always buys them pants)

• Like 1

I'm not as mean as you. But with the weather turning to winter, when my boys go outside I tell them wearing pants (instead of shorts) would be smart. I also insisted that they take pants with them when we went to Gramma's house last weekend.

2 years ago my boys insisted that if it was -10 C or warmer, and they weren't playing in snow then pants weren't needed.

Happily this year, they consider 0 pants weather.

Here on the other hand it is turning to summer. I keep trying to tell my four year old that the likelihood of snakes biting him on the arms if he wears a tshirt are quite low.

• Like 2