Menu

How would you make this look less lodge-y?

milovany

Updated/additional information in Post #28.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We're considering a rental that has a room like the photo here (sorry if it's huge).  It's too. much.  wood.  I don't mind some natural wood, but this is just way too much and I know I'd want to take a paint brush to the room.  What would I paint if I could?  What would I leave alone?  Given the go ahead, I'd want to update this to a more minimalist / IKEA type look while still maintaining some of the wood.  I'd definitely want to take the wood furniture out of there because ... wood on wood (on wood on wood on wood).  You should see the far end of the room -- murals!  Mountains and clouds and valley murals!  I already know those would meet the wet end of my paintbrush within minutes of signing the papers, haha.

1050098-02-alt.jpg

Edited by milovany

Wow, that is a lot of wood. I would paint the flat part of the ceiling (the darker recessed areas) white. I would probably paint the murals too. I would do lighter floors if possible (throw rugs or replace carpeting).

ETA: Changing the lighting would make a big difference.

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 3

A rental as in you are buying it to rent out or you are renting it to live there?

eta asking because don't rentals usually need to be returned to their original condition when the tenants leave?

I would definitely paint the ceiling, first thing. Otherwise I would feel like I was living inside a wooden box.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

It sounds like you would be renting to live there. If I was renting to you, I would probably not allow painting because once you paint that wood there's no going back to the original. Have you considered area rugs, removable wallpaper, or possibly cloth hung on the walls? You could even put some light-colored removable wallpaper in the recesses of the ceiling.

• Like 7

I'd paint the walls and ceilings....maybe a white washed look. Thin enough to see the grain, but reads white.

Or not. That much wood gives me hives. ;)

Paint over any murals.

Not sure what i'd do with the floors, if anything. Yes, that carpet has to go. What if you did a dark wood laminate? Floors are where I like wood best.

New furniture, for sure....maybe going in a modern direction. I like your Ikea idea--modernish stuff keeps the room young. I would think it would encourage rental inquiries. Quirky works, too.

I think this would look good as a bright, modern cottage--some mod, some shabby, lots of character.

I don't think it would take much to make that room feel less like a coffin.

I would paint the darker parts of the ceiling white.  Paint over the murals in very light neutral or off-white.  Ditch all the furniture (obviously? IDK).  Consider painting some of the trim or whitewashing the walls - I think you could re-evaluate after each step.

Change out all the lighting fixtures to something more modern-feeling with brighter non-yellow light (I hate yellowish lights so maybe I'm biased).

Nothing you bring into the room - furniture or accessorize - should be any shade of brown.

• Like 1

Gah, this looks like my house minus the mural. I hate knotty pine but am stuck with it.

Don't hang cloth on your walls, major fire hazard with the wood stove for heat.

You can"t usually paint rentals though, maybe in a Sheetrock room, but if their house is lodge like, I guess they made it that way on purpose & would not want it painted.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

That's different then - I'd paint everything but the ceiling beams and trim around the doors and windows a nice, fresh white.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I don't know how this could go IKEA/Min, but you could go from that to country farmhouse without a great deal of difficulty. Those murals! Yeah, those are screaming lodge. I would paint the recessed part of the ceiling white or off-white and make the cross-pieces darker, so it more resembles a coffered ceiling. Change out all light fixtures into something with a chrome or silver finish. The wooden stools are also making it lodgey. Paint the paneling white/off-white and take down those curtains.

• Like 1

I'd keep the lodge look--it's not cheap, and people love it for vacations.

That means, keep the murals, keep the furniture, keep the walls.  Really, you might not like this, but it's classic cabin dĂƒÂ©cor.

I'd paint the ceiling--cross beams would be flat dark brown, and the inside areas would be creamy white, maybe semigloss (would have to try it to be sure.)

I'd put some ceiling fixtures in.  One of them might involve antlers.  No, I am not kidding.  Or maybe one of those big flat ceiling fixtures made out of creamy stained glass, with sillouetts of an art deco design, a la the Ahwahnee.  Art deco and lodge go together, which is weird but they are the same era. 

One thing I would do pronto is have someone make sure that the wood stove is out far enough from the wall not to need a wall heat reflector.  Assuming that that's not a problem, I'd replace the rocky base with ceramic tile on the hearth, in a light, creamy color. 

In the kitchen I would lose the galvanized metal wall cover, and replace it with a tallish wooden built in broom closet cabinet.  That would also give you some shelf space on top, for something decorative or your romantic picnic basket.

But seriously, this was expensive to get right, they got it pretty right.  I wouldn't mess with it too much.

The only thing I am ambivalent about is the carpet.  It seems to orangey to me, and too dark.  But, it depends on the color of the local dirt.  This might be just the thing to hide that a bit.  I'd wait on changing that out.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 6

Paint that ceiling! Leave the cross Rams stained wood for a coffered look, but get those squares in between lightened up.

I'd paint that paneling. In a heartbeat. I'd also paint the trim vanilla/rich rich white. Maybe decide on a mantle or other accent to leave stained, but otherwise get your brush busy.

I'd paint the ceiling.  Cross beams dark brown, insert creamy white.

I'd leave the rest of the wood alone.  If the wood is alone and everything else is changed, it can be quite charming.

I'd remove those saloon doors and the cabin furniture.  If you're furnishing it, then I'd go with soft round furniture--comfy, charming--to offset the masculinity of all the wood.  No prints on the furniture.  Let the prints come in pillows or throws or in pictures on the wall.

I'd change the light fixtures to something other than orange.  I'm not sure what and not sure if the metal would stay black or not.  You don't want to go too far from a comfy cabin look.  If the hardware is to modern, it will be jarring, so you'll want it to be somewhat cabiny, but not so over-the-top.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 5

I can't decide about the murals.  I'd have to see them in person to decide if they should stay or go.

If you decide to cover them, then I'd go with a soft yellowish cream paint to keep the room light.  A dark color may end up being dreary against all the wood.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

If you're buying it to rent...

I'd paint the cheesy murals and the dark part of the ceiling for sure. Replace the carpeting. Change out the furniture. The counter between the living room and kitchen I can't see well, but maybe there's a chance to put in something else - it looks like more wood? Ugh. Obviously better window treatments in a lighter color. Those are so drab and early 90's looking. And is that a saloon style door into the next room? Lose that for sure. That's way too much.

Painting the wood is probably going to lessen the value of the property - and if this is a mountainy vacation area, I think you're stuck with it for sure. You don't really have a hope of making that space at all Scandanavian minimalist. I'd look at ideas from more modern lodge and country living type spaces instead. This one is bad because it's not your aesthetic but also because it's crowded and old. Updating it within its aesthetic is probably way more doable.

• Like 4

If you're buying it to rent...

I'd paint the cheesy murals and the dark part of the ceiling for sure. Replace the carpeting. Change out the furniture. The counter between the living room and kitchen I can't see well, but maybe there's a chance to put in something else - it looks like more wood? Ugh. Obviously better window treatments in a lighter color. Those are so drab and early 90's looking. And is that a saloon style door into the next room? Lose that for sure. That's way too much.

Painting the wood is probably going to lessen the value of the property - and if this is a mountainy vacation area, I think you're stuck with it for sure. You don't really have a hope of making that space at all Scandanavian minimalist. I'd look at ideas from more modern lodge and country living type spaces instead. This one is bad because it's not your aesthetic but also because it's crowded and old. Updating it within its aesthetic is probably way more doable.

I agree.  Tone it down, but don't get rid of the wood entirely.  This has a distinct style that will attract people to it.  You don't want to mess that up.  Every other rental looks like Ikea.  This one will stand out...but it needs to be toned down.

• Like 3

While I love wood beams and accents, I find most cabins are very orangy which is hard to decorate.   

I think the cabinets in the kitchen should go white or gray.  The large sections of ceiling could also go white with the beams being stained darker.   You could paint the majority of the walls white and make the trim a dark gray.  However, you may want to keep one wall in wood and stain the different boards more variegated for a more updated look.  Some new chairs and barstools will help a lot.  Here are some great ones: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6a/57/ff/6a57ff7ae1ae150f5254666ee369eaaa.jpg

I am very visual so here are some images I was thinking of.  

84b2e0c205b01bd70d0f0f88f9fc7bc7.jpg

accent-pallet-living-room-wood-wall.jpg

• Like 5

We have a mural I HATE in the restaurant but sooo many people love it. We covered it up with two large photographs this year and no one complained. I suspect that most people wanting to rent the lodge will like it the way it is and repeat visitors will resent it being changed, but that is my experience with this sort of hospitality. People who want an IKEA look go to Worldmark, not lodges.

I'd tone it down a bit by painting the ceiling. Either just rip out that wood up there and re-drywall it, or paint the wood. The wood on the ceiling looks cheap to me -- like plywood and 2-bys , in contrast to the reasonably nice paneling, etc. SO, if I wanted to tone down the lodge look, the first thing I'd do would be to re-do that ceiling. Paint might not end up looking great, as you've got open grain wood up there . . . So, get a price on ripping that out and putting in drywall . . . Or consider spackling/painting the ceiling beams and then putting up a paintable wall paper over the wood panels . . . You can get tin-ceiling look type embossed wallpaper, and then paint it white, and that'd look pretty nice. 

And, I think those murals are hideous, so I'd definitely lose the murals. Paint those walls creamy white, too.

And maybe a lighter color flooring (dare I say wood??!! But maybe with a large area carpet??) would be nice and more upscale, IMHO.

• Like 2

While I love wood beams and accents, I find most cabins are very orangy which is hard to decorate.   

I think the cabinets in the kitchen should go white or gray.  The large sections of ceiling could also go white with the beams being stained darker.   You could paint the majority of the walls white and make the trim a dark gray.  However, you may want to keep one wall in wood and stain the different boards more variegated for a more updated look.  Some new chairs and barstools will help a lot.  Here are some great ones: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6a/57/ff/6a57ff7ae1ae150f5254666ee369eaaa.jpg

I am very visual so here are some images I was thinking of.  

84b2e0c205b01bd70d0f0f88f9fc7bc7.jpg

accent-pallet-living-room-wood-wall.jpg

Love these pics!! What a classy cabin look!! 

• Like 2

You guys are awesome, thank you!!  I knew I'd get a bunch of ideas here. To answer some questions: We'd have free reign to do within whatever we'd like.  We do live somewhere where the lodge look certainly does fly, but the house is in the middle of a neighborhood in town, so I think I could go either way with it.  I'm a cottage girl at heart and think that way, but I will definitely keep some of the above thoughts in mind about keeping it lodge-y-ish but with an updated look.  I'll search for some photos. 

Oh, the "wood" stove is gas. 

Do you know what those swinging saloon doors go to?  The bathroom!!!!!!!  I couldn't believe it when I saw it.  I guess the idea is that this space be rented to one person and one person only.  Eeek!  We'd put in a real door and solve the problem of the wall openings over the round light/wood/metal art thing, too.  Check out the bathroom below. Who knew a TOILET could be wood?!   Someone put a LOT of thought and work into this house. The corrugated metal is placed under the cabinets in the kitchen, too (think backsplash).  The outlets are framed in wood with rope tacked (with metal tacks) around that.  Wowsa. 

1050098-10-alt.jpg

Edited by milovany

That bathroom makes me chuckle. Something about it is kinda funny. I think it's that bizarre toilet.

After looking at the bathroom picture, I'd get rid of the murals. I agree with someone else who said to get a regular looking ceiling installed in the main room. The bathroom has a regular ceiling and that's fine.

I'd also get a normal toilet and normal sink. And get rid of all the woodsy extras---the wooden shampoo holder in the tub, the wooden toilet holder, the wooden picture with the moon above the toilet.

I'm getting the giggles over all that wood. That's a honkin' lot of wood!

I still love it on the walls, but not on everything else.

(That bathroom!)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Is something wrong with the perspective in the bathroom picture? I feel like my rump wouldn't be long enough to reach the toilet and my arms wouldn't be long enough to reach the toilet paper. Was this designed for a 7'3 basketball player?

Edited by Garga
  • Like 9

That bathroom makes me chuckle. Something about it is kinda funny. I think it's that bizarre toilet.

After looking at the bathroom picture, I'd get rid of the murals. I agree with someone else who said to get a regular looking ceiling installed. The bathroom has a regular ceiling and that's fine.

I'd also get a normal toilet and normal sink. And get rid of all the woodsy extras---the wooden shampoo holder in the tub, the wooden toilet holder, the wooden picture with the moon above the toilet.

I'm getting the giggles over all that wood. That's a honkin' lot of wood!

I still love it on the walls, but not on everything else.

(That bathroom!)

:lol:  I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the rope dangling from the sink.

• Like 2

Is something wrong with the perspective in the bathroom? I feel like my rump wouldn't be long enough to reach the toilet and my arms wouldn't be long enough to reach the toilet paper. Was this designed for a 7'3 basketball player?

I'm dying!!  You're totally right!  You'd have to drip your way across the floor!

• Like 3

:lol: I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the rope dangling from the sink.

You're right...that's rope! Wha...? I thought it was some sort of carved wood, but it's rope. Oh dear. I keep snorting whenever I look at the bathroom and DH keeps wanting to know what's so funny.

I'm sorry OP. I think with a bit of toning down, it could be very lovely...but right now...snort!

• Like 2

You're right...that's rope! Wha...? I thought it was some sort of carved wood, but it's rope. Oh dear. I keep snorting whenever I look at the bathroom and DH keeps wanting to know what's so funny.

I'm sorry OP. I think with a bit of toning down, it could be very lovely...but right now...snort!

Milovany, the main room has a ton of potential.  But that bathroom is going to need work.  First, clean out the birdsnest behind the mirror, next remove every bit of rope, then toss the splinter toilet and find a better spot for the TP.  Then we're getting somewhere. 

PS I'm doing that giggle-cry thing now. I really needed to blow off some steam.  Maybe I'll actually sleep tonight, lol

• Like 6

Or grab some TP on the way to the toilet! Or maybe that's why that box of Kleenex is sitting on the back of the thing. :)

Imagine the poor ADHD people trying to remember toilet paper for that bathroom!! Oh, the poor dears! (There was a thread about ADHD people saying they can never remember to replace the TP.). Imagine trying to remember to grab some before going AND to change out rolls afterwards! It's all too much.

I'm laughing so hard at that bathroom I can't breathe.

OP, it's late and I'm sorry for laughing at the bathroom. I really like the rest of the house. That bathroom needs to be pulled back from the edge. It really could be very charming with some work.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Are the walls cedar?

If the wood is just cladding around a regular toilet, definitely get rid of it, along with the mural and the outhouse thing over the toilet and the rope trim on the sink. I'd consider a simple white pedestal sink. I'm not wild about the blue on the ceiling either.

I take it then that this will be something you rent out for short-term vacation rentals?

• Like 1

Who knew a TOILET could be wood?! Someone put a LOT of thought and work into this house. The outlets are framed in wood with rope tacked (with metal tacks) around that. Wowsa.

I thought I was done, and then went back and read this and I'm giggling all over again.

• Like 1

Are the walls cedar?

If the wood is just cladding around a regular toilet, definitely get rid of it, along with the mural and the outhouse thing over the toilet and the rope trim on the sink. I'd consider a simple white pedestal sink. I'm not wild about the blue on the ceiling either.

I take it then that this will be something you rent out for short-term vacation rentals?

I was thinking pedestal sink, too, just so there's no chance of adding any more wood to the house via a cabinet around a sink. I think a nice creamy color on the ceiling would be better, though I normally like a lot of color. In this house, I think creamy whites would be nice.

• Like 1

Imagine the poor ADHD people trying to remember toilet paper for that bathroom!! Oh, the poor dears! (There was a thread about ADHD people saying they can never remember to replace the TP.). Imagine trying to remember to grab some before going AND to change out rolls afterwards! It's all too much.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

[ETA: I have ADD tendencies myself and am not mocking anyone! But toilet paper really must be within reach.]

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[ETA: I have ADD tendencies myself and am not mocking anyone! But toilet paper really must be within reach.]

Oh, me, too! No mocking. It's just a case where two threads seem to converge in a silly way around toilet paper.

• Like 2

Oh, I'm so glad I'm giving some of you the giggles.  I actually used the toilet today (because, well, needed to go) and it must be perspective with the photo because I could reach the toilet paper just fine.  It did take me awhile to find the toilet handle and then I realized it IS a regular toilet ensconced in wood. 

No comments yet about how this bathroom is basically *open* to the living room, but for the swinging saloon doors?  You need a better visual.  (More text below photo)

IS27ab1tcikma50000000000.jpg

That floor below the swinging doors is the bathroom floor ... the sink is on the other side of the artwork wall to the right of the swinging doors.  That area above the artwork?  Also open to the bathroom.  :lol:

The house -- it's only 440sf by the way -- isn't un-rentable now and has great potential, I think.  The fixing isn't but cosmetic, which isn't nothing but isn't tearing out walls or needing to replace windows either.  Paint and me, we're good friends.  [Paint and I?]  That will go a long way to start, and then I'll go through the ideas here again, too, for future plans. 

If we decide to go for it.  Which remains to be seen.

Edited by milovany
  • Like 2

Milovany, the main room has a ton of potential. But that bathroom is going to need work. First, clean out the birdsnest behind the mirror, next remove every bit of rope, then toss the splinter toilet and find a better spot for the TP. Then we're getting somewhere.

PS I'm doing that giggle-cry thing now. I really needed to blow off some steam. Maybe I'll actually sleep tonight, lol

Splinter toilet! That was my immediate first impression! Quickly followed by "how the heck do you sanitize THAT?!!"

Milovaney, I believe you are good at transformations but I hope your budget will allow for a good bit of renovation. That bathroom!

• Like 3