Menu

How would you make this look less lodge-y?

milovany

OMG, that bathroom is utterly horrible! I don't think there's one thing it in that I'd want to salvage.

I'd definitely gut it and start over -- going for clean, simple, modern. No one needs a lodge style bathroom. No one. Everyone wants a clean, user-friendly bathroom. 

Wow. Just wow. 

Oh, I'm so glad I'm giving some of you the giggles. I actually used the toilet today (because, well, needed to go) and it must be perspective with the photo because I could reach the toilet paper just fine. It did take me awhile to find the toilet handle and then I realized it IS a regular toilet ensconced in wood.

No comments yet about how this bathroom is basically *open* to the living room, but for the swinging saloon doors? You need a better visual. (More text below photo)

IS27ab1tcikma50000000000.jpg

That floor below the swinging doors is the bathroom floor ... the sink is on the other side of the artwork wall to the right of the swinging doors. That area above the artwork? Also open to the bathroom. :lol:

The house -- it's only 440sf by the way -- isn't un-rentable now and has great potential, I think. The fixing isn't but cosmetic, which isn't nothing but isn't tearing out walls or needing to replace windows either. Paint and me, we're good friends. [Paint and I?] That will go a long way to start, and then I'll go through the ideas here again, too, for future plans.

If we decide to go for it. Which remains to be seen.

Yeah the swinging doors and the mountain-scape orange glass or whatever it is must definitely go. I must have bathrooms that are completely private. I even have one of those toilet rooms within my master bathroom and that is the bathroom I use the most. Murals - good riddance.

I don't exactly understand what the wooden outhouse door thing is on the window above the toilet, but that is obviously thematic as well and I would have to get rid of that. Is that another gas "wood" stove in the throne room? That's weird.

The more I see, the more I'd say that the house would probably be a gut/remodel if I were buying it. If it's priced well enough to make that reasonable, and I was up for it, then I'd consider it. Just be SURE you understand the true costs of remodeling (including the time costs/vacancy time), as IME, remodel expenses are generally about double to triple the initial estimates and take 3-5 times as long as expected. 

Omg, I'm dying now that I've seen the bathroom.

So, my house isn't that bad! The main room maybe, but omg, that bathroom!

It's a house in town?! Crazy :)

Have fun re doing it, but I'd keep some of the lodgey feel

I'm coming back to re read this later when I'm not rushed, this is great.

What's the outside look like?

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

Oh hey, also, if those stoves are gas & aren't actually needed for heat (does the place have another heat source?), I might get rid of them all together. They take up good wall space. Unless this is for vacation rental, then people probably want a fire to sit & look at. But the one in the bathroom can go, with the rest of the bathroom. Except the tub, keep the tub ;)

oh my heavens. 

Thank you for that bathroom photo, I needed a laugh today!!!!

And the swinging doors??? And open bathroom? What are people thinking? I watch those crazy house shows on tv sometimes and it is amazing how many have either no bathroom door or the bathroom door is clear glass! They are like oh, just pull a curtain or whatever. 

No. NO. 

Dear heavens. 

• Like 1

You guys are awesome, thank you!!  I knew I'd get a bunch of ideas here. To answer some questions: We'd have free reign to do within whatever we'd like.  We do live somewhere where the lodge look certainly does fly, but the house is in the middle of a neighborhood in town, so I think I could go either way with it.  I'm a cottage girl at heart and think that way, but I will definitely keep some of the above thoughts in mind about keeping it lodge-y-ish but with an updated look.  I'll search for some photos. 

Oh, the "wood" stove is gas. 

Do you know what those swinging saloon doors go to?  The bathroom!!!!!!!  I couldn't believe it when I saw it.  I guess the idea is that this space be rented to one person and one person only.  Eeek!  We'd put in a real door and solve the problem of the wall openings over the round light/wood/metal art thing, too.  Check out the bathroom below. Who knew a TOILET could be wood?!   Someone put a LOT of thought and work into this house. The corrugated metal is placed under the cabinets in the kitchen, too (think backsplash).  The outlets are framed in wood with rope tacked (with metal tacks) around that.  Wowsa. 

1050098-10-alt.jpg

Love the tub!!!!

I saw a cabin a smidgen bigger than this one last week. Definitely a wood explosion--any carpet and fixtures were from the 80s, but yours, hands down, wins for the bathroom. Keep the tub--everything else goes.

But you know what....I like this place. I think with some work and thought it can be cute and distinctive. For short term rentals, it needs to photograph well and you can do that.

I hope the numbers work and you can go for it. You'll be riding the Tiny House wave...

• Like 3

I like the tub and the wood surround on the wall.  I think with all the other wood and rope gone, that would stand out nicely. 

Someone asked about the yard above and it's beyond nice.  It's a great feature and is largely what makes me like the property (that and knowing the house is in good condition besides its [mostly] cosmetic issues).

Thanks again, all. 

• Like 1

Milovany, would this be your second property as an airb&b? How do you like this side job of yours? I would enjoy hearing more about how your business is developing and how your clients have treated your property.

Seasider, if you want to message me, I'd be happy to answer your questions!

• Like 1

Either I would paint the whole living area white, including furniture murals and ceiling or I would leave as is for people who want something very unique. I think it would look really attractive in white or two shades of white.

As for the bathroom, get a door! Also, replace the toilet and sink for sure and get rid of the mural. I agree that the tub and wood around it look nice.

Some of this depends on your budget and the style of the house on the outside.

You know, I am not usually a wood on wood person, but I think this might be more workable than most instances.  It's interesting that you mention IKEA, because it reminds me a little of a traditional Nordic kind of cottage - they can also have a ton of wood but it seems to work.  They aren't always painted wood or pickled wood.  The secret I think is to have enough natural light.

I think that the carpet and the dark textiles on the windows are actually more of a problem than the wood is.  I think I would personally go for something red and white checks - gingham for curtains, or a simple/abstract, bright botanical. If it's wood under the carpet, I would actually consider that would be less daunting than the carpet which is sucking in all the light and looks dingy. You could put down some sort of Persian style rug or a light coloured natural fiber like sisal, or some sort of braided rug. Even if I didn't want to touch the carpet I'd get rid of the kitchen floor and do red and white lino or vinyl, it looks like it might just be a laminate fake wood. 

If I wanted to paint, I'd look at the cupboards and maybe the ceiling insets, and I think I might consider Parma Grey (Farrow and Ball) or something like it. Or a warm yellow possibly, but only if it didn't feel too hot in summer.

There needs to be much better lighting. 

• Like 3

Oh, I'm so glad I'm giving some of you the giggles.  I actually used the toilet today (because, well, needed to go) and it must be perspective with the photo because I could reach the toilet paper just fine.  It did take me awhile to find the toilet handle and then I realized it IS a regular toilet ensconced in wood. 

No comments yet about how this bathroom is basically *open* to the living room, but for the swinging saloon doors?  You need a better visual.  (More text below photo)

That floor below the swinging doors is the bathroom floor ... the sink is on the other side of the artwork wall to the right of the swinging doors.  That area above the artwork?  Also open to the bathroom.  :lol:

The house -- it's only 440sf by the way -- isn't un-rentable now and has great potential, I think.  The fixing isn't but cosmetic, which isn't nothing but isn't tearing out walls or needing to replace windows either.  Paint and me, we're good friends.  [Paint and I?]  That will go a long way to start, and then I'll go through the ideas here again, too, for future plans. 

If we decide to go for it.  Which remains to be seen.

Man, I love this place! For a short-term/vacation rental I think it's kitschy and amazing and perfect for a getaway for rich hipsters. I can't believe the consensus is to paint the wood!

• Like 4

I think this looks very much like a summerhouse in the making!  Like others who suggested before, I would seal the pine, then spray the walls with a couple of layers of white paint.  Be careful of undertones as you pick your color.  I would rip out the carpet, and put in luxury vinyl plank---either in a light grey if you wanted to go nordic/modern or in a walnut if you wanted to stay classic. I'd paint the ceiling beams and trays all white just because it is a small space.  

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/97953360615780654/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/198299189817154268/ ----they left part of the ceiling here in natural pine

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/546413367270422077/ ---medium tone floors, white logs

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/10836855323877791/ ---all white washed, grey floors

If you choose to go all white, I would pick a strong color for a few accents to unify---dutch blue, nordic red, navy, and I'd be consistent about finishes.

The bathroom---Keep the bathtub.  Fix the toilet, wall, and door issue.  Personally, I'd continue your flooring from the living area to keep it feeling unified and open and put in a simple sink with storage. I'd almost be tempted to buy an unfinished cabinet from Home Depot and paint it in whatever accent color you choose for the house and keep walls and ceiling white.

• Like 1

Here's my opinion (finally, everyone can stop holding their breath...)

The wood on wood on wood on wood look is fine for a weekend.  Same with the murals.  They really really wear you out over time, though.  My dh's parents had a place like this in Cannon Beach and she was so.done with it when she moved out.  If it is to be a longer-term rental, then I think you need to do something.  

Paint the dark parts of the ceiling, but don't use white or off white.  Use a warm cream-to-yellow paint that enhances the color of the wood.  

Find an area rug that does the same--not a light overall color, but something that defines the living room space and lightens that dark carpet.  

Put a different counter on the eating/counter area instead of the wood counter, and use the same material to put an actual floor and surround on that gas stove.  

Paint the kitchen cabinets and probably the bathroom ones, too.  Don't use too many colors--find a range of cream-to-soft yellow you can work with.  Head toward the peachy yellows more than to the butter or green-yellows.  

Get real with the toilet and the bathroom doors.  (You knew that.)  

I agree with the call for elk horns.  We had some in our old house's rustic pool room and it pulled the room together in a way I had not expected.  Now I just have antlers in a closet, waiting to stab me every time I root around in there.

Put up some art you can use to display the place, but plan on taking it out when the place is rented.  People want to hang their own things.  But it will break up the woodwoodwood.  

The mural...is sort of dated.  I would paint it.  The way our painter taught us was that you find the wall color you like and then you cut that tint to half for the ceiling.  

400sf isn't a lot...it needs to feel more open and less coffin-like.  I can do allllllll wood in a big post-and-beam house with lots of airy spaces, but this is too small.  It needs lighter areas and some room definition, but it has a lot going for it when you do those things.  

Updated/additional information in Post #28.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We're considering a rental that has a room like the photo here (sorry if it's huge).  It's too. much.  wood.  I don't mind some natural wood, but this is just way too much and I know I'd want to take a paint brush to the room.  What would I paint if I could?  What would I leave alone?  Given the go ahead, I'd want to update this to a more minimalist / IKEA type look while still maintaining some of the wood.  I'd definitely want to take the wood furniture out of there because ... wood on wood (on wood on wood on wood).  You should see the far end of the room -- murals!  Mountains and clouds and valley murals!  I already know those would meet the wet end of my paintbrush within minutes of signing the papers, haha.

1050098-02-alt.jpg

For long term renters....

1. paint the recessed part of the ceiling (a little) off white ( I think pure white would be to harsh of a contrast and would try to sterilize a very warm room.)

2. lighten the carpet it's way to dark and bland. Area rugs are the best and cheapest option

3. bring in furniture that was comfy, maybe with a more cottage feel

4. I get rid of the leather looking studded bar an replace with a stone or stone look type slab

5. Paint the murals to match ceiling

6. Then I'd live with it awhile before I painted the actual wood paneling 

7. Changing out the orange toned lighting for some cooler hues would "cool" down the room with out being to harsh

-Personally I hate the river rock surrounded by the wood frame on the floor but it might be more difficult to replace.

In the kitchen I'd paint metal siding a pretty blue or green and change out the lighting over the sink. The track lighting is probably okay but could also be pulled down spray painted a lighter tone then reused.

The only thing I'd have to change for short term renters:

As for the exterior bathroom wall.... that needs to be a complete wall- I would never rent that place with the partial wall. And of course a door.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

Holy cow, that bathroom!!  Now I'm totally dying to know more about the owners and what could have possibly compelled them to decorate like that.  Who would ever think to tack rope around a bathroom sink??  Not to mention the saloon doors/open bathroom situation.   :scared:

• Like 1

I was thinking pedestal sink, too, just so there's no chance of adding any more wood to the house via a cabinet around a sink. I think a nice creamy color on the ceiling would be better, though I normally like a lot of color. In this house, I think creamy whites would be nice.

Pedestal sinks are a lovely look, but if that's what you do then there needs to be someplace to set toiletries for the guests. If I am staying someplace for a week, I don't want to have to haul my makeup, blow dryer, razors, and toothbrushes back and forth from the bedroom.  Also, for some of us, it takes a significant amount of coordination to balance your blow dryer on the edge of the pedestal sink, while styling your hair. 

If you don't have under the sink storage for spare rolls of toilet paper or sponges, etc., then you need some kind of cabinet in the bathroom.

This thread is a great distraction from the election.

I've never really seen someone try to recreate an outhouse in their house.

• Like 6

Oh, I'm so glad I'm giving some of you the giggles.  I actually used the toilet today (because, well, needed to go) and it must be perspective with the photo because I could reach the toilet paper just fine.  It did take me awhile to find the toilet handle and then I realized it IS a regular toilet ensconced in wood. 

No comments yet about how this bathroom is basically *open* to the living room, but for the swinging saloon doors?  You need a better visual.  (More text below photo)

That floor below the swinging doors is the bathroom floor ... the sink is on the other side of the artwork wall to the right of the swinging doors.  That area above the artwork?  Also open to the bathroom.  :lol:

The house -- it's only 440sf by the way -- isn't un-rentable now and has great potential, I think.  The fixing isn't but cosmetic, which isn't nothing but isn't tearing out walls or needing to replace windows either.  Paint and me, we're good friends.  [Paint and I?]  That will go a long way to start, and then I'll go through the ideas here again, too, for future plans. 

If we decide to go for it.  Which remains to be seen.

On the mural wall, is that actually wood and wire built into the wall to look like the barb wire fence?

For myself, there are certainly things I would want to do to lighten the look up a bit, but if this is a rental, especially for Airbnb, then I think I would need to know more about guests' expectations before I removed too much of the lodgey look.  That toilet just looks unsanitary and yes, you definitely need a fully enclosed bathroom. But I also have to tell you that a few hours from us, cabins like this go for $180-$250 a night.  The setting is on a river and people want that rustic vibe.

• Like 1

I know it isn't fashionable, but I love how over the top the whole place is.  It's just so... ballsy?  Who tacks frayed rope onto their bathroom counter?  Who makes a regular toilet into a pretend outhouse toilet - in the middle of a room?  Who puts barbed wire as a decoration on the wall?  Who has open doors and walls to the bathroom?  It makes me wish I had ridiculous tastes I was gutsy enough to follow.  

• Like 8

On the mural wall, is that actually wood and wire built into the wall to look like the barb wire fence?

For myself, there are certainly things I would want to do to lighten the look up a bit, but if this is a rental, especially for Airbnb, then I think I would need to know more about guests' expectations before I removed too much of the lodgey look.  That toilet just looks unsanitary and yes, you definitely need a fully enclosed bathroom. But I also have to tell you that a few hours from us, cabins like this go for $180-$250 a night.  The setting is on a river and people want that rustic vibe.

I was wondering if someone would notice that!  Not only is it actually wood and an artsy barbed wire thing, it's not against the wall -- it's a couple of inches away from the wall as I recall. 

I get the "leave it lodge-y if it's for Airbnb -- people love that type of place" thing but this house is in the middle of a regular, middle to lower middle class neighborhood and I don't know if the kitschy-ness of the cabin is enough to overcome its setting. The yard itself is fabulous, but the neighborhood -- while in a quiet part of town -- is pretty regular.  I kinda wish I could move this whole thing to somewhere a wee bit closer to the actual downtown and state university (the two draws in our town).  It's small enough -- maybe we could do that! 

Just kidding.