Menu

Exercise program at home?

Miss Peregrine

Any ideas for exercise programs that can be done at home that are diverse and likely to be effective? My gym is moving farther away and to an area with horrendous parking issues. There isn't really anything else around here. I would like to find something at home, possibly incorporating weights. I like yoga, cross-fit-type exercises(though it's not actual cross-fit) and barre.

I'd do Beachbody on Demand if I could fit it in my budget because of the sheer variety.  :)  It's free for 30 days and then you're billed quarterly, in advance, $38.87.

https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/on-demand-workout-videos.do?e=ola56515

There are plenty of videos on YouTube, too.  I like Jessica Smith.  (Her YouTube channel is plugging her "Walk Strong" series, but that's easier than most of her other stuff.)  https://www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv

• Like 3

You mean there is not a Beachbody coach on your FB feed?  :svengo:

The Beachbody program fits your bill for variety, that's for sure. They seem to come out with a new workout program to buy about every month or so. The programs often incorporate weights. They have programs with yoga components as well. Martial arts, country dance, hip-hop, you name it.  How do I know all this? FB friends who are coaches. They post videos of themselves working out. :)

• Like 4

You mean there is not a Beachbody coach on your FB feed?  :svengo:

The Beachbody program fits your bill for variety, that's for sure. They seem to come out with a new workout program to buy about every month or so. The programs often incorporate weights. They have programs with yoga components as well. Martial arts, country dance, hip-hop, you name it.  How do I know all this? FB friends who are coaches. They post videos of themselves working out. :)

No, amazingly.  :laugh:

For something different I'm loving Gold Medal Bodies Floor 1 program. They also have programs specifically for strength, flexibility and those that use the paralletes and rings. We are doing it as family PE. Floor 1 works on handstands, cartwheels, jumps, arm balances, balance and flexibility. We love the variety and challenge. The moves are scaled perfectly so there is a level for nearly everyone. It is 14 weeks, 4 days a week the first 5 weeks, then into 6 days a week. Supposedly about 45min but TBH it was more like an he for us although it did lessen in wk 3 and it appears to again in week 6. It is shorter but more intense. Next up I think we'll do Strength- which is push-ups, pull-UPS, squAts(ass to ground and single leg), l-sits, hollow body holds and some other basic moves. As we need 5 strict consecutive pull-ups for the ring program and we aren't there yet. It is paid out perfectly, easy to follow and fun. AND it works, bearing the end of just 4 wks we've all had great improvements. Even my nearly 7 y.o is getting some time in her crow hold. The first week I got 20 sec but I can do a Min now. I managed a sort freestanding handstand this week too after working on it for over a year with little progress.

• Like 2

I second Beachbody on Demand. You can try it for 30 days free and then it's subscription (paid monthly, quarterly, or yearly). They just added a bunch of full programs on there. All the Power 90's, 21 Day Fix Extreme, Hammer & Chisel, T25, Turbo Jam, and a bunch more. Disclaimer, I am a coach. 

• Like 2

Whatever you decide, make an appointment and prioritize the appointment. I think gyms work for some people simply because there's a financial reminder to use it. For various reasons I will be letting my gym membership expire in December. I know I can put together a solid program without any financial outlay. There are lots of programs you can go on YouTube or get from the library. Or you can subscribe to something like Beachbody. But the big adjustment is building the routine into your home life.

• Like 1

I have been following the Body By You program for a few weeks now and really love it. It's a book, with pictures, of strength exercises that you do using only your body weight - no special equipment needed, just what you have at home. I really like it and am seeing good results!

• Like 2

I am loving Beachbody on Demand. I couldn't afford to buy a program, plus I get bored easily. But a LOT of their programs are available on demand. You pay I think it is $40 every 3 months, so about $12 a month is what it works out to, and get unlimited streaming of what has to be a hundred workouts. TONS of them. So you can rotate through programs, etc. And if you really want one that isn't included in on demand (the newest ones are not) than you can do the digital unlock, for about $30, for that program to add it to your on demand options. So instead of paying the $150 to get the full program with containers and books and whatever, you get access to the part you want, the workouts. 

I do not sell beach body, and thought it was a scam, really, but I really do like the on demand version. You can stream it from a smart TV (they have an app), Roku, Firestick, etc as well as your laptop, etc. (do it from the TV first, it's easier that way, at least fwith the firestick). 

And there is a free trial. 

I'm about to do one of the Active Maternity workouts right now. It's 30 minutes and leaves me sore!

• Like 1

I am loving Beachbody on Demand. I couldn't afford to buy a program, plus I get bored easily. But a LOT of their programs are available on demand. You pay I think it is $40 every 3 months, so about $12 a month is what it works out to, and get unlimited streaming of what has to be a hundred workouts. TONS of them. So you can rotate through programs, etc. And if you really want one that isn't included in on demand (the newest ones are not) than you can do the digital unlock, for about $30, for that program to add it to your on demand options. So instead of paying the $150 to get the full program with containers and books and whatever, you get access to the part you want, the workouts.

I do not sell beach body, and thought it was a scam, really, but I really do like the on demand version. You can stream it from a smart TV (they have an app), Roku, Firestick, etc as well as your laptop, etc. (do it from the TV first, it's easier that way, at least fwith the firestick).

And there is a free trial.

I'm about to do one of the Active Maternity workouts right now. It's 30 minutes and leaves me sore!

Thanks for the tip about the "unlock." I love Beachbody workouts...I hate having to buy all the junk that cones with them. :-)

I second Beachbody on Demand. You can try it for 30 days free and then it's subscription (paid monthly, quarterly, or yearly). They just added a bunch of full programs on there. All the Power 90's, 21 Day Fix Extreme, Hammer & Chisel, T25, Turbo Jam, and a bunch more. Disclaimer, I am a coach.

What's the point of being a coach?

Thanks for the tip about the "unlock." I love Beachbody workouts...I hate having to buy all the junk that cones with them. :-)

Yeah, somehow the coaches don't tell you that you can JUST buy the DVDs, or just unlock it on the on demand thing. Actually, one coach did, so she gets my business from now on. 

How do you buy just the dvds?

If you buy from a coach just ask. Or if you buy on the website, don't click on the first thing that comes up, scroll down. sometimes it's on the second page, but it should be an option. I know I bought just the DVDs for Country Heat. But it took some looking to find that option. 

If you buy from a coach just ask. Or if you buy on the website, don't click on the first thing that comes up, scroll down. sometimes it's on the second page, but it should be an option. I know I bought just the DVDs for Country Heat. But it took some looking to find that option. 

I bought just the digital unlock for Country Heat. The only thing with the digital unlock is that you have to subscribe to the Beachbody On Demand since that's where it streams from.

Thanks. Country Heat dvds are the ones I want.

How do you buy just the dvds?

Before I had a family, I loved workout videos! Now there are just too many distractions if I try to workout at home. I've tried videos, DVDs, and streaming over the last decade but I wouldn't stick to anything very long. Now I just go to the gym, but I always love to hear about what's out there. 

To sort of answer the quoted question, I've gotten several programs, like 21 Day Fix, on Amazon. The purchase included practically the whole set (with the program book and little food containers, but no supplements) you could have gotten from Beachbody. Whether you want all the little extras or not, Amazon has good prices and none of the baggage from ordering directly from Beachbody. I've heard some horror stories about that. I would be happy to look into streaming Beachbody at some point because the actual workouts are great.

I also second Daily Burn. I tried it out a year or so ago, and they had a daily live workout (or recorded to do later that day) that was fun. They also have a lot of other searchable options. Before that I tried streaming videos from Gaiam (now called Gaia). They had tons of yoga of course, but lots of additional options.  

And I bet you could find a lot of free options on YouTube.

Edited by OH_Homeschooler
  • Like 1

Before I had a family, I loved workout videos! Now there are just too many distractions if I try to workout at home. I've tried videos, DVDs, and streaming over the last decade but I wouldn't stick to anything very long. Now I just go to the gym, but I always love to hear about what's out there. 

I've gotten several programs, like 21 Day Fix, on Amazon. The purchase included practically the whole set (with the little food containers) you could have gotten from Beachbody. Whether you want all the little extras or not, Amazon has good prices and none of the baggage from ordering directly from Beachbody. I've heard some horror stories about that. I would be happy to look into streaming Beachbody at some point because the actual workouts are great.

I also second Daily Burn. I tried it out a year or so ago, and they had a daily live workout (or recorded to do later that day) that was fun. They also have a lot of other searchable options. Before that I tried streaming videos from Gaiam (now called Gaia). They had tons of yoga of course, but lots of additional options.  

I know, that is my worry. I find it hard to motivate myself to do it at home. Honestly, though, â€‹ I don't know what the gym is thinking by moving to this area. There is no way I want to deal with the nightmare parking. I bet they lose a lot of business. I hope I can make it stick at home.

• Like 1

To sort of answer the quoted question, I've gotten several programs, like 21 Day Fix, on Amazon. The purchase included practically the whole set (with the program book and little food containers, but no supplements) you could have gotten from Beachbody. Whether you want all the little extras or not, Amazon has good prices and none of the baggage from ordering directly from Beachbody. I've heard some horror stories about that. I would be happy to look into streaming Beachbody at some point because the actual workouts are great.

Interesting. For me, the time required to go to the gym makes me not want to go; I can be done with a mini-workout in the transportation time. I just lock the door and tune out everyone else when I exercise.

Emily

• Like 1

Do the beach body workouts require other equipment?

Depends on the workout. The yoga ones require a yoga mat, and say you might want some blocks or a pillow to modify but I didn't use any. 

The dance ones don't need anything. 

I'm doing Active Maternity now and do need hand weights....I started with 3 lb weights and am up to 8 lbs. Could probably do 10 pounds but those are in the garage and haven't gotten them out yet. 

I use the on demand service, and there is a place to click on each workout to see what the recommended equipment is before you press play. 

Interesting. For me, the time required to go to the gym makes me not want to go; I can be done with a mini-workout in the transportation time. I just lock the door and tune out everyone else when I exercise.

Emily

I don't really have a space I can lock, so that's part of it. My gym is half a mile from home so travel time isn't an issue. It just feels more like me time at the gym. I don't get distracted by other things I should be doing.

I know at some point I'll probably grow bored of the gym but it's making me happy right now!

I've tried this approach but at least one kid woke up almost every time! It was so frustrating! :/ And then I was always tired the rest of the day from trying to get up before them.

I KNOW! Just had this conversation with the hubbie. I find there is just no time during the day. If I wake up earlier than them, it's 5:00 (my oldest whose bedroom is downstairs is up by 5:30) and I absolutely hate people watching me work out. (not to mention I cannot get up that early-ever). The next opportunity would be 5:00 when dh gets home, except that's when I'm getting supper ready-very stressful time of day. The only other opportunity would be when they go to bed-which would be 8:30-8:45-and who the heck has any energy left by then when there's lessons to be planned, dishes to be washed, workboxes to fill.

I seriously feel like there is just NO time. Anyone have any advice?

Honestly, my 6 yr old does my exercise with me a lot of the time. The just turned 4 year old gets bored though. I often put a show on for him in the other room, and he watches Wild Kratts or whatever while the 6 yr old and I exercise :)

This is what I did when my kids were little.  I did whatever I could to keep them busy.  It wasn't always easy and sometimes I'd have to give up, but they knew that was my time to exercise and were pretty cooperative.  All four of my kids are active and exercise regularly now.  

• Like 1

I KNOW! Just had this conversation with the hubbie. I find there is just no time during the day. If I wake up earlier than them, it's 5:00 (my oldest whose bedroom is downstairs is up by 5:30) and I absolutely hate people watching me work out. (not to mention I cannot get up that early-ever). The next opportunity would be 5:00 when dh gets home, except that's when I'm getting supper ready-very stressful time of day. The only other opportunity would be when they go to bed-which would be 8:30-8:45-and who the heck has any energy left by then when there's lessons to be planned, dishes to be washed, workboxes to fill.

I seriously feel like there is just NO time. Anyone have any advice?

I turn on the tv or tablets for my children when I exercise (usually around 11am for 20-30 minutes). I felt bad about that for a long time, but I'm over it. I also exercise with them. We take walks, bike, play at the park, and own some kid-friendly workout videos, but that's not sufficient for my fat loss/muscle gain/anxiety-reducing goals, so they get tv.

And, yes, I run or power walk with my neighbor after they go to bed. It's far from ideal, but it's the only time I can get outside without kids to train for my races.

• Like 1

Honestly, my 6 yr old does my exercise with me a lot of the time. The just turned 4 year old gets bored though. I often put a show on for him in the other room, and he watches Wild Kratts or whatever while the 6 yr old and I exercise :)

As I posted before the exercise program i do at home i do with the kids. My 12yo and 9yo are really good about it- very committed- do everything with me. my 6yo does decent- my (nearly) 4yo only sometimes joins in. She just watches us or whatever. Doing some things with them doesn't work but this works extremely well, actually gives me more motivation. We need to take breaks between exercises so we take turns. I've also learned to just keep going. I don't nag or guilt (I want it to be fun), when it is time for their set of whatever I call it and start timing- if they want to do it they'll be there and that is when my 6yo sometimes chooses not to- especially if it isn't a movement she enjoys. But it is just positive encouragement and keeping with it. We also walk together, which is generally pretty slow pace with kids but i think that is good for us in different ways. We bike too and that is a pretty decent work-out when my youngest rides on my bike, especially since we have hills all over here. On my own I go to the Studio for classes and do yoga at home too. Exercising at home is an exercise(ha) in patience and persistence but well worth it IMO.

Edited by soror

And, in "wow that really works" news...today I could genuflect at church without holding on to the pew for support! All the way down, knee touching the ground!!!!  I used to just sort of halfway bend while holding on for dear life. I credit all the squats and lunges in the Active Maternity Beachbody workout!