Menu

s/o -- heartburn and meds

J-rap

The other thread on heartburn meds is the first time I've been aware that this is really a very constant problem for a lot of people.  And, I'd like to learn more about it.

My dd (23) started getting bad heartburn about 6 months ago, and I feel so clueless about it.  She has lived out of state (where our insurance didn't cover her) and really hasn't said much about it till now.  Now she is back, close to home, and we are trying to get to the bottom of it.  (She has a doctor's appointment coming up.)  She does have evolving health issues, probably autoimmune-related, so we are thinking it may be part of all of that.  Nothing in her life has changed really, it just started happening. 

Some of my questions are:  Do some people really have daily heartburn?  Is it only after eating?  What causes it?  Certain conditions?  What helps it?  Does it sometimes just start happening over a period of a few months and then become a more permanent condition that quickly?  What are the risks?  Are meds safe?  What else do I need to know?

I know she has tried apple cider vinegar, but she still has a lot of trouble, to the point of not being hungry and not wanting to eat.  (And this is a gal whose favorite thing to do is cook and bake, and then eat it!)  She is generally a healthy eater, but from what I've read on the thread, it sounds like there are certain foods (like nachos?) that really trigger it.

Any information to help me learn more about this condition would be appreciated!

Yes, it is (without meds) daily. Goes from dull burning to feeling like you could breathe fire. I'm tough, I gave birth twice at home to big babies with no drugs without a tear, but a few times in pregnancy the heartburn was so bad at night I literally cried. (thankfully I eventually discovered that baking soda in water helped this really bad times...temporary, but it worked). 

I had a hiatal hernia at some point, but the heartburn started before that, as I had some imaging done when it first started. And I'v e had the hernia repaired, and still get it. For me, the issue is that the lower esophogeal valve doesn't close properly all the time. That's the one at the top of the stomach/bottom of the esophagus. It's supposed to keep food and stomach acid in, like a one way valve. For me, it isn't one way. It's BETTER after bariatric surgery, as there is less stuff there to come up, but I still need meds. 

So the meds don't make the valve close better, but they keep the stomach contents from being so acidic that they irritate the esophagus when they hit them. So apple cider vinegar doesn't work for me, obviously. Just makes it worse. Ginger, peppermint, alcohol, and caffeine can all weaken that valve so they are all triggers. Then there are things that increase  the acidity itself, like fruit, tomatoes, vinegar, etc etc. 

Anxiety/stress makes it worse too, not sure why. But if I get angry I can feel it get worse. 

But when it's bad, even water hurts. 

Meds give me a quality of life. Period. They have risks, but at this point I'd take mostly any risk. Seriously. 

• Like 2

There are a couple of specific food items that trigger heartburn for me. Orange juice is one. I will be honest and say that other than orange juice, the other main contributing factor was my poor eating habits, when I make a consentrated effort to control the volume of food I eat, I have very few problems with heartburn.

When I was having issues, I took Pepcid Complete almost daily.

My DDs (12) have daily heartburn and have since birth. With babies, it's reflux, but mine never outgrew it. For them, I am sure it's related to prematurity. Diet does not seem to affect them for better or worse. They also have a heightened gag reflex, so things like getting a hair stuck on their tongue can make them puke.

Our pediatrician thinks a lot of adult heartburn cases are for kids whose reflux as babies went into silent reflux. She thinks they only seek treatment as adults when they have a voice and realize that what they have been experiencing is not normal. I try to balance the risk of meds vs the risks of not treating heartburn- we medicate sometimes but no longer daily. The dr says that there is a link to throat cancer for untreated reflux and the meds are not meant to be used long term, so we can't win. Unlike most kids, we knew ours didn't outgrow reflux because theirs didn't turn silent- they will still "spit up" often enough that it's obvious.

• Like 1

I had it while pregnant, but when not pregnant it wasn't an issue for me until we went out to eat one night and I had a salad. I have no idea what it was in the salad that set me off. I suspect the raspberry vinaigrette dressing as I figured out months down the road that vinegar is a huge trigger for me. That meal set off a horrible episode that lasted for many, many months. It was unrelenting. Non stop. Even fasting and drinking nothing but water didn't help. I think it was anxiety--the heartburn episode triggered my anxiety and then the anxiety fed the heartburn. I had an endoscopy that showed pretty much nothing. The gastro doc said I had NERD (non erosive reflux disease) and that my system was over-reacting to normal amounts of acid. It took a couple of years on generic Protonix before I figured out that stress/anxiety, vinegar and raw onions are my triggers.

The risks if it's GERD are esophageal damage and even cancer. My MIL has horrible GERD. She thought she could go off her medication but a follow up endoscopy revealed a paper thin esophagus from damage. In fact she had a frightening incident--her esophagus was so thin she started bleeding during the procedure and ended up in the hospital for a few days. She will always need to take medication.

• Like 1

I never had heartburn until my last child. Oh, it was horrible. It went away for a while, but it has come back full force now. Doesn't matter what I eat - some foods do make it worse though (strawberries, OJ, anything spicy, any caffeine). It is miserable. Even if I just eat apples and drink water, there it is. So, yes I took medicine because it is damaging to have continual constant acid reflux.

I'm slowly trying to wean off the meds now - I've found some digestive enzymes (Now) that seem to help. It will be a slow road, and I may never be able to get off completely, but I'm trying!

• Like 1

My DDs (12) have daily heartburn and have since birth. With babies, it's reflux, but mine never outgrew it. For them, I am sure it's related to prematurity. Diet does not seem to affect them for better or worse. They also have a heightened gag reflex, so things like getting a hair stuck on their tongue can make them puke.

Our pediatrician thinks a lot of adult heartburn cases are for kids whose reflux as babies went into silent reflux. She thinks they only seek treatment as adults when they have a voice and realize that what they have been experiencing is not normal. I try to balance the risk of meds vs the risks of not treating heartburn- we medicate sometimes but no longer daily. The dr says that there is a link to throat cancer for untreated reflux and the meds are not meant to be used long term, so we can't win. Unlike most kids, we knew ours didn't outgrow reflux because theirs didn't turn silent- they will still "spit up" often enough that it's obvious.

That makes so much sense! I know I was horribly "colicky" as a baby, which was probably unidentified reflux. 

This link has a lot of good info.

https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/gastroesophageal-reflux-disease-gerd.html

I watch my diet, and try not to eat late. GI doc said the effective thing every person should do is to elevate the head of the bed as described. I have taken short courses of Prilosec and pantaprazole but personally have had success with lifestyle changes.

• Like 1

Here's something weird:  I have more heartburn when I work out.  At first I thought I might have a heart problem, but I got checked out and although my heart is rather weak and they recommended increased exercise, there was nothing specific.  Also, when I have it, heartburn remedies stop it.

Random science question:  DD learned that scientifically, carbonated soda cannot soothe heartburn, it is supposedly a myth.  But when I have heartburn and drink something carbonated, it stops in its tracks.  How does that happen?

And I'm with Katie, it has hurt so bad I thought I was going to die.  I see why people go to the hospital with it thinking it's a heart attack.

• Like 1

Yes, it is (without meds) daily. Goes from dull burning to feeling like you could breathe fire. I'm tough, I gave birth twice at home to big babies with no drugs without a tear, but a few times in pregnancy the heartburn was so bad at night I literally cried. (thankfully I eventually discovered that baking soda in water helped this really bad times...temporary, but it worked). 

I had a hiatal hernia at some point, but the heartburn started before that, as I had some imaging done when it first started. And I'v e had the hernia repaired, and still get it. For me, the issue is that the lower esophogeal valve doesn't close properly all the time. That's the one at the top of the stomach/bottom of the esophagus. It's supposed to keep food and stomach acid in, like a one way valve. For me, it isn't one way. It's BETTER after bariatric surgery, as there is less stuff there to come up, but I still need meds. 

So the meds don't make the valve close better, but they keep the stomach contents from being so acidic that they irritate the esophagus when they hit them. So apple cider vinegar doesn't work for me, obviously. Just makes it worse. Ginger, peppermint, alcohol, and caffeine can all weaken that valve so they are all triggers. Then there are things that increase  the acidity itself, like fruit, tomatoes, vinegar, etc etc. 

Anxiety/stress makes it worse too, not sure why. But if I get angry I can feel it get worse. 

But when it's bad, even water hurts. 

Meds give me a quality of life. Period. They have risks, but at this point I'd take mostly any risk. Seriously. 

Thank you.  This is all helpful information.  How did they pinpoint your lower esophageal valve?  

That makes sense.  I wonder if it will get better over time for them?  (Can your gag reflex get stronger?)

My daughter didn't have much reflux as a baby, so in her case it must be something a little different.

This link has a lot of good info.

https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/gastroesophageal-reflux-disease-gerd.html

I watch my diet, and try not to eat late. GI doc said the effective thing every person should do is to elevate the head of the bed as described. I have taken short courses of Prilosec and pantaprazole but personally have had success with lifestyle changes.

Thanks for the link!

I had it while pregnant, but when not pregnant it wasn't an issue for me until we went out to eat one night and I had a salad. I have no idea what it was in the salad that set me off. I suspect the raspberry vinaigrette dressing as I figured out months down the road that vinegar is a huge trigger for me. That meal set off a horrible episode that lasted for many, many months. It was unrelenting. Non stop. Even fasting and drinking nothing but water didn't help. I think it was anxiety--the heartburn episode triggered my anxiety and then the anxiety fed the heartburn. I had an endoscopy that showed pretty much nothing. The gastro doc said I had NERD (non erosive reflux disease) and that my system was over-reacting to normal amounts of acid. It took a couple of years on generic Protonix before I figured out that stress/anxiety, vinegar and raw onions are my triggers.

The risks if it's GERD are esophageal damage and even cancer. My MIL has horrible GERD. She thought she could go off her medication but a follow up endoscopy revealed a paper thin esophagus from damage. In fact she had a frightening incident--her esophagus was so thin she started bleeding during the procedure and ended up in the hospital for a few days. She will always need to take medication.

That's really interesting that one meal can set it all off.  Sounds very miserable!  Have you ever had it as bad/so prolonged since then?  

Here's something weird:  I have more heartburn when I work out.  At first I thought I might have a heart problem, but I got checked out and although my heart is rather weak and they recommended increased exercise, there was nothing specific.  Also, when I have it, heartburn remedies stop it.

Random science question:  DD learned that scientifically, carbonated soda cannot soothe heartburn, it is supposedly a myth.  But when I have heartburn and drink something carbonated, it stops in its tracks.  How does that happen?

And I'm with Katie, it has hurt so bad I thought I was going to die.  I see why people go to the hospital with it thinking it's a heart attack.

I had no idea it could be so painful and miserable.  I'm glad heartburn remedies stop it for you!

• Like 1

Yeah I wish I knew what the issue really is.  It's daily for me unless I take the Prevacid.  It started when I was pregnant with my first kid and really has never gone away.  I've had some time in between where it didn't seem as bad and I was able to go off the heavier duty meds and be ok with an occasional TUMS.  But now?  No.  It seems not.

• Like 1

Thank you.  This is all helpful information.  How did they pinpoint your lower esophageal valve?  

I had an upper GI series done with barium. They watched with fluoroscopy while I swallowed the barium, and you could see my stomach contents flow back up into the esphogus. There are also ways to measure the pressure in the esophagus, but  it involves a tube down your nose and when they tried they couldn't do it due to my deviated septum. 

• Like 1

I had an upper GI series done with barium. They watched with fluoroscopy while I swallowed the barium, and you could see my stomach contents flow back up into the esphogus. There are also ways to measure the pressure in the esophagus, but  it involves a tube down your nose and when they tried they couldn't do it due to my deviated septum. 

Alright so they use this test to confirm reflux?  What is the point? 

I know, what a hell of a thing to ask, but I REALLY do not want to do this just to confirm what is already obvious.  KWIM?

Some of my questions are:  Do some people really have daily heartburn?  Is it only after eating?  What causes it?  Certain conditions?  What helps it?  Does it sometimes just start happening over a period of a few months and then become a more permanent condition that quickly?  What are the risks?  Are meds safe?  What else do I need to know?

Regarding the meds.  It is my understanding that they have their risks, but you can keep an eye on them (such as magnesium deficiency).  The risk of going a long time with constant reflux is probably worse than the risk of being on the meds long term.  After that constant acid in there it can cause some serious conditions including cancer. 

I'm currently dealing with possible negative side affects of Prevacid.  Going to a doc today so I can let you know what they tell me.  I am not sure if they can address it with supplements or if I need to try to go off of Prevacid.  I really do not know.  I just know that I could not go off of it cold turkey.  That was HELL. 

• Like 1

I know, what a hell of a thing to ask, but I REALLY do not want to do this just to confirm what is already obvious.  KWIM?

the barium test was simple, not upsetting, and was done partly to look for a hiatal hernia. The other test with the tube up the nose, is mannometry and was only being done because I was having bariatric surgery, and if it came back that there was a major issue they would have done bypass on me instead of sleeve. Without being able to do that test we went with sleeve as a best guess as it has fewer long term complications - other than reflux/heartburn. I was willing to risk the continuing heartburn versus the higher risk of hypoglycemia, internal hernias, etc. I don't think they do that test for everyone with reflux. 

• Like 1

the barium test was simple, not upsetting, and was done partly to look for a hiatal hernia. The other test with the tube up the nose, is mannometry and was only being done because I was having bariatric surgery, and if it came back that there was a major issue they would have done bypass on me instead of sleeve. Without being able to do that test we went with sleeve as a best guess as it has fewer long term complications - other than reflux/heartburn. I was willing to risk the continuing heartburn versus the higher risk of hypoglycemia, internal hernias, etc. I don't think they do that test for everyone with reflux. 

Ah ok.  The tube up the nose.  NOOOOO!!!

When I went to the initial appt the guy said oh here I'm just gonna numb your nostril and quickly look in there  I thought ok... I had no idea what it would be like.  It was horrifying.  And it was basically NOTHING compared to the other stuff they do like that. 

I'm kind of a baby.  LOL

• Like 1

That's really interesting that one meal can set it all off.  Sounds very miserable!  Have you ever had it as bad/so prolonged since then?

No, thank goodness. Now that I know what foods are triggers and avoid those, and know to take something right away the instant it starts I can pretty much control things. The worst spells I've had recently have only lasted a few days.

• Like 1

I tend to do great on a very low carb diet and do better still without soda, coffee and tea.  Dh is the same way.

See I notice no difference based on what I eat.  I've eaten low carb for years and for years I've had this issue.

Even being told stuff like eat a bland low fat diet.  I tried bland and lower fat and it made no difference.  Even drinking water can set me off.  It's crazy. 

• Like 1

I had about 6 months of heartburn recently, that stopped just a couple weeks ago. It seemed weird that it started suddenly and was so consistent--pretty much every day.

What I did was to cut back on alcohol and coffee (switched mostly to decaf French roast, which I read is less acidic that lighter roasts), and I added probiotics and Ecological Formulas monolaurin 600 mg twice a day. I also quit my B vitamins and try to drink 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar in 1 cup water once or twice a day. I really can't say which of these things made the difference, possibly a combination.

I have a feeling mine was related to an imbalance of gut flora or some kind of GI bug that I got on a trip. Pure conjecture on my part, but I'm just thrilled that it stopped and I feel normal again. Also, my gut was very rumbly when I was having reflux all the time. The fact that has now stopped reinforces my notion that maybe something was off with my microbiota.

Amy

• Like 1

I had bad heartburn for decades, much worse when I was pregnant with the boys.

Have not had an episode since I started eating a diet with < 8 gr saturated fat per day, quit putting any sugar in my coffee and rarely eat foods that contain sugar (except fruits and veg), and lowered my coffee intake to 2 cups (with Truvia) per day. I still eat spicy food.

I have no idea whether those dietary changes helped, but I suspect they did since my stress level is always too high. If I eat a high sat fat meal or sweets, though, I still don't get heartburn any more.

• Like 1

I've been on Protonix for around 6 years now for constant, persistent heartburn.  I spent most of my life with a stomach of steel until my pregnancies, but then had horrible heartburn with both of them.  It settled down for a few years, but came back with a vengeance.  It got so bad that it damaged my esophagus, and I had to have a procedure to stretch it back out enough for me to swallow without pain or food getting stuck.  

I HATE being on meds for it, but I do like swallowing..lol.  Every time I've tried to get off the meds, I start having that "something stuck in my throat" feeling within a week or two.  (all the while dealing with near constant heartburn)

There are foods that make it worse for me.  Coffee is a big culprit.  Oatmeal is the worst food item.  Dairy and wheat are also triggers.  Spicy foods have no effect at all.

• Like 1

I've been on Protonix for around 6 years now for constant, persistent heartburn.  I spent most of my life with a stomach of steel until my pregnancies, but then had horrible heartburn with both of them.  It settled down for a few years, but came back with a vengeance.  It got so bad that it damaged my esophagus, and I had to have a procedure to stretch it back out enough for me to swallow without pain or food getting stuck.  

I HATE being on meds for it, but I do like swallowing..lol.  Every time I've tried to get off the meds, I start having that "something stuck in my throat" feeling within a week or two.  (all the while dealing with near constant heartburn)

There are foods that make it worse for me.  Coffee is a big culprit.  Oatmeal is the worst food item.  Dairy and wheat are also triggers.  Spicy foods have no effect at all.

This is my story almost exactly.  Started in pregnancy.  Went away.  Came back with a vengeance.  I don't get it!

Well, they need to see what, if any, damage has been done.   Long-term exposure to acid can cause changes in the cells, which can lead to cancer.   (Maybe you and I aren't talking about the same sort of test?)

I have been on and off omeprazole for years.  Back on it now after being off it for a year or so, then bam, started having trouble again. Finally had an endoscopy, the doc saw some damage and took some tissue for biopsy; now I'm waiting for lab results to see exactly how bad.  

Usually the biggest trigger for me was weight (all my excess weight is in my stomach, apple shape) but that isn't making a difference anymore.  

Regarding the meds.  It is my understanding that they have their risks, but you can keep an eye on them (such as magnesium deficiency).  The risk of going a long time with constant reflux is probably worse than the risk of being on the meds long term.  After that constant acid in there it can cause some serious conditions including cancer. 

I'm currently dealing with possible negative side affects of Prevacid.  Going to a doc today so I can let you know what they tell me.  I am not sure if they can address it with supplements or if I need to try to go off of Prevacid.  I really do not know.  I just know that I could not go off of it cold turkey.  That was HELL. 

Oh gosh, I hope they can help you.  How long have you been on Prevacid?

My dd actually has her doctor appointment today too.

I had about 6 months of heartburn recently, that stopped just a couple weeks ago. It seemed weird that it started suddenly and was so consistent--pretty much every day.

What I did was to cut back on alcohol and coffee (switched mostly to decaf French roast, which I read is less acidic that lighter roasts), and I added probiotics and Ecological Formulas monolaurin 600 mg twice a day. I also quit my B vitamins and try to drink 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar in 1 cup water once or twice a day. I really can't say which of these things made the difference, possibly a combination.

I have a feeling mine was related to an imbalance of gut flora or some kind of GI bug that I got on a trip. Pure conjecture on my part, but I'm just thrilled that it stopped and I feel normal again. Also, my gut was very rumbly when I was having reflux all the time. The fact that has now stopped reinforces my notion that maybe something was off with my microbiota.

Amy

I don't know how you discover exactly what works and what doesn't.  It seems like there are so many combinations.  And vinegar is the trigger for some people and yet helps others?  I don't even know what monolaurin is!

One of the strangest things to me is that it seems like for a lot of people, it began so suddenly and then was consistent after that, which is the case for my dd.

How strange that oatmeal is a bad trigger for you...

I know! I've had people question it, even doctors.  But I can eat oatmeal and have severe heartburn within 5 minutes (sometimes before I even finish eating it)

Do you put milk on the oatmeal?  Do you otherwise drink milk without a problem?   Milk is a heartburn trigger for me, so I never drink it.  I can put a tiny bit in oatmeal though.  (I don't eat any kind of cold cereal anymore.)  

Do you put milk on the oatmeal?  Do you otherwise drink milk without a problem?   Milk is a heartburn trigger for me, so I never drink it.  I can put a tiny bit in oatmeal though.  (I don't eat any kind of cold cereal anymore.)  

No, I generally avoid milk because it gives me problems too.  When I do eat oatmeal it is usually with a mashed banana (or maple syrup), salt, cinnamon, and a splash of almond or coconut milk.  No butter, no milk.  

I have the same issue if I eat granola, even the homemade kind that I've controlled all the ingredients for.  

No, I generally avoid milk because it gives me problems too.  When I do eat oatmeal it is usually with a mashed banana (or maple syrup), salt, cinnamon, and a splash of almond or coconut milk.  No butter, no milk.  

I have the same issue if I eat granola, even the homemade kind that I've controlled all the ingredients for.  

Wow. All the things you listed seem to be things recommended to eat for heartburn/reflux.    Goes to show everyone's triggers are different, I guess.

Your mention of coconut milk reminded me:  people suggested coconut oil to help. Oh man, not for me.  It was terrible.  

• Like 1

I was on meds for awhile but was finally able to go off of them. Any caffeine triggers it, especially in sofa. Same with alcohol and too many fresh tomatoes, but I can get away with some. Spicy food is fine, luckily.

I think what helped the most was getting things settled down with meds and then watching my diet, not wearing anything even slightly tight around my waist (big help for me), and trying not to slouch.

• Like 1

The test can tell what the problem is.  Is the problem a weak upper valve, that makes food come up really easily?  Or a too strong lower valve that causes the stomach to overfill and push against the upper valve?  Knowing the cause can help figure out the solution, as those two issues would have different treatments.  It will also rule out other things that might cause similar symptoms, like heart conditions (if chest pain is a primary symptom) or allergies (if you're like my son for whom asthma and lung problems were the biggest concern) or structural issues with the esophagus and airway.  

• Like 2

Are you sure it's not the cinnamon? I can't tolerate much of it.

Cinamon is a huge trigger for me. Huge. 

I used to have heartburn daily and went through a lot of TUMS. Now I rarely ever get it. Mine is definitely food related. If I eat a muffin or banana bread or some other kind of carb-heavy food I end up with heartburn.

Dh gets heartburn a lot as well and his is food related, too, but I'm not sure if it's the same foods. I do know that when he went on a Whole 30 his heartburn disappeared.

• Like 1

The test can tell what the problem is.  Is the problem a weak upper valve, that makes food come up really easily?  Or a too strong lower valve that causes the stomach to overfill and push against the upper valve?  Knowing the cause can help figure out the solution, as those two issues would have different treatments.  It will also rule out other things that might cause similar symptoms, like heart conditions (if chest pain is a primary symptom) or allergies (if you're like my son for whom asthma and lung problems were the biggest concern) or structural issues with the esophagus and airway.  

What would be the difference in treatment?

Wow. All the things you listed seem to be things recommended to eat for heartburn/reflux.    Goes to show everyone's triggers are different, I guess.

Your mention of coconut milk reminded me:  people suggested coconut oil to help. Oh man, not for me.  It was terrible.  

Which is why I don't put much stock into what to eat advice.  If there is something that is REALLY setting it off, I think a person will know it.  Like they tell me not to eat spicy food.  WELL YEAH!  I mean geesh it's like hello battery acid.  But then they'd probably scoff that I say oatmeal is problematic.  Even water is problematic for me!  Ginger?  Oh lordy...I hurt just thinking about that.

And vinegar.  That was gawd awful. 

• Like 1

My poor husband suffers from an esophagus sphincter that opens when it shouldn't and won't open when he is trying to swallow food or liquid.  He takes omeprazol daily and eats tums like candy his bedside, often during the night even.  And every meal nearly, he has to sit and wait for it to open up.  When he stops talking and is just sitting there not moving you know he can't get food down.

That part has to be fixed....it got better when the doctor put him on a blood pressure medicine used to treat it.  But the price went up to $150 a month.....so he has been off it for 10 days trying to see if he can do without it....and no he can't.  

He did go on a strict diet for about 6 weeks and slowly added things back in....the only real trigger food he noticed is bacon.  

I will say I don't think he has tried lifestyle and diet changes enough.  He is pretty miserable but will still eat a bowl of ice cream in bed just before sleep. :/

• Like 1

What would be the difference in treatment?

Do you mean between reflux caused by a problem with the top valve, vs. the bottom?   There are different meds to prevent or reduce the acid (probably useful to both kinds of reflux), and to speed up the gastric emptying (only works in the second).  If you end up needing surgery, it's different surgeries as well.

I know! I've had people question it, even doctors. But I can eat oatmeal and have severe heartburn within 5 minutes (sometimes before I even finish eating it)

I've also had daily heartburn since after dd was born. I've been on protonix for five years and would love to get off but haven't been able to successfully. Originally thought it could be heart-related, so saw a cardiologist, had an echo, and a nuclear stress test. Those were normal, so dr put me on protonix. He wants me to have an endoscopy, but I just don't think I can do it. Even thinking about it gives me an anxiety attack. I need to lose weight, get my anxiety under control, and figure out what all my triggers are.

I also have the oatmeal trigger. Can't eat it in any form, plain or not. Like a pp mentioned, even water can trigger it when it's flared up.

Do you mean between reflux caused by a problem with the top valve, vs. the bottom?   There are different meds to prevent or reduce the acid (probably useful to both kinds of reflux), and to speed up the gastric emptying (only works in the second).  If you end up needing surgery, it's different surgeries as well.

What are the different meds?

I'm really curious.  I just know my mother went through these hellish tests and was told here take Prevacid.  All that for "take Prevacid". 

I've also had daily heartburn since after dd was born. I've been on protonix for five years and would love to get off but haven't been able to successfully. Originally thought it could be heart-related, so saw a cardiologist, had an echo, and a nuclear stress test. Those were normal, so dr put me on protonix. He wants me to have an endoscopy, but I just don't think I can do it. Even thinking about it gives me an anxiety attack. I need to lose weight, get my anxiety under control, and figure out what all my triggers are.

I also have the oatmeal trigger. Can't eat it in any form, plain or not. Like a pp mentioned, even water can trigger it when it's flared up.

Are you worried about feeling the tube going down your throat?  I was completely out for my 'scope.  Never noticed anything.  

Losing weight, working on anxiety, etc are great (I am doing those things too) but if you have had reflux for a long time your doc probably wants to rule out infection and cellular changes.