Menu

The logistics of reading glasses?

MEmama

So I just got reading glasses. They are making a tremendous impact on everyday things like reading labels at the grocery, texting, even ironing. However, I'm unsure what to do with them when I need them around but not ON. Keep them on my head all day? I'm not wearing them on a chain. And I'm forever looking up from what I'm doing or reading, going back and forth from needing them to write, say, to checking dinner on the stove when I don't.

I feel silly asking, but what do other people do? Will I just get used to taking them on and off all.day.long?

• Like 2

Welcome to the dark side. :)

I am still struggling, but I tend to tuck them into the top of my shirt and let them hang. Not pretty, but ok at home. I do it with sunglasses, too.

DH just got some, too. We have gone through two sets from the eye doc, and a gazillion from the drug store over the last year. He's literally left them all over the world (anyone in Amsterdam find a pair two weeks ago?!). He is settling for leaving them on his head. They tangle in his long hair, though.

If you find a solution, please share!

• Like 4

This is me and it might seem silly to some, but I bought several pair and salted them around the house.  I also keep a pair in my purse (in a sturdy case) so I have them when I want them for shopping or reading menus.  I also need distance vision glasses for driving at night now, so I keep a pair of those in my vehicle.  By keeping inexpensive readers all over the place (I even have a tinted pair for reading outside) I don't have to worry as much about where I put my glasses.

And my FIL uses the same strength I do so if I ever DON'T have my purse pair handy when I'm visiting there I can borrow a pair of his.

• Like 4

I just got some also. The eyeglass tech we have, as a family, loved for years recommended that I get a few pair of cheapie drugstore ones, now that I have a professional prescription. I haven't done it yet, but the more I use them, the more I want find myself wanting to use them.

When I am eligible for new glasses (two years) I'm going to get bifocals with no top prescription. By then I know I will want to be wearing them all the time.

• Like 3

I just got some also. The eyeglass tech we have, as a family, loved for years recommended that I get a few pair of cheapie drugstore ones, now that I have a professional prescription. I haven't done it yet, but the more I use them, the more I want find myself wanting to use them.

When I am eligible for new glasses (two years) I'm going to get bifocals with no top prescription. By then I know I will want to be wearing them all the time.

This would actually be a good idea for me, too.  I could do bifocal readers with no top prescription for computer/school work and driving glasses with distance top prescription and no bottom prescription for driving.  I tried a pair of bifocals with distance top and reading bottom, but was too frustrated by the limitations and lack of area for normal viewing.

I keep them on my head all the time which is the most convenient for me.  I used the chain option for a while. So reminded me of my grandmother and made me feel really old.    :laugh:   Hubby leaves his on top of his laptop now. Used to ask me all the time. Where did I leave my glasses.  I refused to play the find my glasses game so he figured out a spot.  You'll find yourself using them more and more, so easier to keep on your person, whether hook on your shirt, in a shirt pocket or on your head. 

• Like 2

When I was working, I wore them on a chain.  I had to.  When I wore them on my head they would fall off and I almost stepped on them more than once.  I didn't always wear a shirt that I could tuck them in the front, and they sometimes fell doing that too.

At home, I have multiple pairs plus a pair in my car plus Dh and I can swap glasses.

I've been considering getting bifocals when I finally go back to the eye doctor.  I can go now, I just have to make the effort of finding a doctor and making an appointment.

• Like 1

The dark side indeed. I hate it. I just got my first pair of bifocals because I was having a little trouble with night driving. And reading.

I got my first pair of glasses at age 13 but rarely wore them because I hated them With a passion. A 16 I got contacts and lived blissfully for the next 17 years. Suddenly I couldn't wear my contacts anymore.....I was devastated...and I had RK surgery. When you are willing to let someone cut on your eyeball you know you really hate glasses. So RK gave me 20/20 vision for 20 years and now I need glasses and reading glasses. Bifocals it is. I still only wear them when I am watching tv or driving or reading. I just can't walk around with them on. I am irritated and uncomfortable.

I have discovered that for me it isn't vanity...it is the physical discomfort of something on my face!

• Like 2

1) buy about 50 of them

2) put one in every room of the house and a pair in your purse

3) in about a month you'll have to buy another 50 because for some bizarre reason you will lose them

4) get used to your husband borrowing them

Sigh! Reading glasses!

At least I'm safe from anyone in the house borrowing them. Both DH and DS wear glasses all the time, which I'm starting to think would be easier. ;)

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as well. I was buying Foster Grant reading glasses I believe they were, around $15. But the crazy screws kept coming out. I am not paying that kind of money for the screws to fall out within 2 weeks!  So I went for the cheapest Walmart pair, but now I am finding they scratch very, very easily.   Any solutions?  And these are on the glasses I can locate around my house!  

Anyone have advice on getting contacts? I may need prescription soon, and don't know whether to go glasses or contacts...

Costco. Their reading glasses are 3/$18 or 3/$14 on sale. They are the nicest quality lenses and frames anywhere and so reasonable! I buy a package once every couple of months. I have them in my car, purse, kitchen drawer, bedside table. My daughter asked me if I was trying to reach critical mass. Every once in a while I'll lose a pair or drop them and step on them, but I don't worry because I have plenty lol. I used to keep a pair on my head but had to quit because they would grab the hair in my part and break it off making me look like a rooster. Now I stick them in my shirt (which is how they fall and get stepped on).

• Like 3

So I just got reading glasses. They are making a tremendous impact on everyday things like reading labels at the grocery, texting, even ironing. However, I'm unsure what to do with them when I need them around but not ON. Keep them on my head all day? I'm not wearing them on a chain. And I'm forever looking up from what I'm doing or reading, going back and forth from needing them to write, say, to checking dinner on the stove when I don't.

I feel silly asking, but what do other people do? Will I just get used to taking them on and off all.day.long?

I wondered whether I would get used to putting them on and taking them off all day. Yes. :-)

I tend to park mine on my shirt at the neck if I'm doing something like reading a recipe and cooking. :-) I don't need them to *see* what I'm cooking, though; I just need them to read any recipes, and sometimes to see the measurements on spoons and stuff.

I have multiple pairs: 1 in a case in my purse, which I return when I am finished wearing them; they sort of move between the family room and the kitchen. These are actual prescription glasses. 1 at my computer, which stays there. 1 on the nightstand next to my bed.

I have sunglasses that are bi-focal, so I don't have to take them off and put on my reading glasses and then put my sunglasses back on.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 1

LOL I operate by what I call the pacifier method. When I was a wee one, my mother used to put me in the crib with half a dozen pacifiers strewn alongside, figuring the odds were in favor of me grabbing one and sticking it in my mouth myself before crying long enough to need her attention at midnight.

I have about a dozen pairs of dollar store readers scattered about the house, in my overnight bag, in my sewing bag, in my knitting basket, in a certain drawer in each room and in my vehicles... Theoretically, there's always a pair within reach. Every now and then the supply seems to dry up so I go buy a few more pairs. I only need the lightest strength, so I'm not spending $10 a pair (okay I may have one or two pairs of really snazzy readers).

LOL ETA I responded before reading all the other answers, funny how many similar responses there are, someone's making a fortune off cheap readers by virtue of mass quantity sales!!!

OP, I have trained myself not to wear them on top my head, I don't need anything helping my hair fall out. As an old scuba diver, I rest them at my neck, on my collarbones, sort of like a necklace. If I'm actively bending and such, I stick one arm of the glasses down into my shirt collar. Working in the kitchen, I put them on the counter.

I made an awesome discovery this summer, I found a pair of sunglasses that have reading lens built into the bottom half (sort of like bifocals but no Rx in the top part of the lens).

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 3

At home I often wear them on my head. I bought 2 cheap pairs, so that also helps. One pair migrates around the house and one stays put in case I temporarily forget where I had the other. The migrating pair, if it's not on my head is on the dining table, the hall table, the bathroom basin, the kitchen counter or my bedroom dresser. I spend a lot of time looking for them! I tend not to wear them for short bursts of reading like sending one text.

At grocery stores etc I just tough it out and squint and try to get the focal distance right. (Try to imagine me backing away from the bottle on the shelf to get a good focus while squinting at the tiny writing!)

• Like 1

I have one pair at home and one pair in my purse.  I tend to walk around with them at home with them pushed down on my nose so I can look over them.  But it turns out I read stuff ALL THE TIME and I need to see, lol.

One thing I was told by a few people, is not to buy too many at first. You might find that your eyes get worse quickly and you need to go up in strength.  I was tempted to buy a bunch and put them around, but decided to see if I ended up needing stronger ones quickly. So far no, I use the weakest ones...but who knows how long that will last. 

• Like 1

The dark side indeed. I hate it. I just got my first pair of bifocals because I was having a little trouble with night driving. And reading.

I got my first pair of glasses at age 13 but rarely wore them because I hated them With a passion. A 16 I got contacts and lived blissfully for the next 17 years. Suddenly I couldn't wear my contacts anymore.....I was devastated...and I had RK surgery. When you are willing to let someone cut on your eyeball you know you really hate glasses. So RK gave me 20/20 vision for 20 years and now I need glasses and reading glasses. Bifocals it is. I still only wear them when I am watching tv or driving or reading. I just can't walk around with them on. I am irritated and uncomfortable.

I have discovered that for me it isn't vanity...it is the physical discomfort of something on my face!

Scarlett I am right there with you, wearing glasses full time makes me feel sorta claustrophobic. I can still wear contacts (bifocal now) but need readers with them for really fine print or up close work.

At grocery stores etc I just tough it out and squint and try to get the focal distance right. (Try to imagine me backing away from the bottle on the shelf to get a good focus while squinting at the tiny writing!)

Yeah, performing that dance and still not being able to make out words is what finally sent me over the edge. I was always afraid I was missing the one ingredient DH is allergic to.

Reading glasses really annoy me.   I've had glasses since I was 8, and contacts since I was 12.  That was back when contacts for kids that young was unusual.   I need something to be able to see more than a couple of feet away,  I was blind enough that my script limited my selection of contacts.   I am OK with that.  I wore contacts and everything was fine.   But, what drives me batpoo crazy is the thought that no matter what I have to have glasses on me at all times.  If I have my contacts on I still need to carry glasses, they are just the reading variety.  waaaaaaa     

So, now I wear my real glasses almost all the time.   I loved my contacts.  

Have you tried multifocal contact lenses?  I'm not a huge fan but they are helpful for social occasions when I don't want to be wearing glasses.  I had a surprise this year when my distance prescription changed - it used to be around -3.75 and came down to -2.50 over the course of a couple years.  Apparently, this is not unusual when people age   :tongue_smilie: so perhaps you have something to look forward to?  The drop in distance prescription made a huge difference in the quality of sight I'm getting at near vision through the multifocal contact lenses.  I still vastly prefer my glasses for every day - maybe my vision is still in flux or something, something's not quite right in one eye - but the contacts are better than they used to be.  I can actually read my phone with them on.

Have you tried multifocal contact lenses?  I'm not a huge fan but they are helpful for social occasions when I don't want to be wearing glasses.  I had a surprise this year when my distance prescription changed - it used to be around -3.75 and came down to -2.50 over the course of a couple years.  Apparently, this is not unusual when people age   :tongue_smilie: so perhaps you have something to look forward to?  The drop in distance prescription made a huge difference in the quality of sight I'm getting at near vision through the multifocal contact lenses.  I still vastly prefer my glasses for every day - maybe my vision is still in flux or something, something's not quite right in one eye - but the contacts are better than they used to be.  I can actually read my phone with them on.

I saw that same drop.  I went from -8.5 to -5.5.    For contacts, I also need dailies because I have ocular rosacea, so that limits my selection.  

The absolute worst is at the water park.   We just started to go this last summer, so I don't know the menu.   I can't read the sign without my reading glasses so we have to go back to our chair to get my reading glasses.  

I saw that same drop.  I went from -8.5 to -5.5.    For contacts, I also need dailies because I have ocular rosacea, so that limits my selection.  

The absolute worst is at the water park.   We just started to go this last summer, so I don't know the menu.   I can't read the sign without my reading glasses so we have to go back to our chair to get my reading glasses.  

yikes!  I don't think the multifocal contact lenses go up to -5.5, I'm pretty sure they stop at -4.0.

(On the upside, after all these years I finally found some frames I like that fit my eyes that are too close together, some kids frames.  My little pony LOL.)

I made an awesome discovery this summer, I found a pair of sunglasses that have reading lens built into the bottom half (sort of like bifocals but no Rx in the top part of the lens).

I love those!! I bought three pairs at the state fair and managed to keep them for five or six years. I have no idea where they disappeared to, lol. I finally bought another pair on Amazon; I will try to do a better job of hanging on to them. :-)

• Like 1

One thing I was told by a few people, is not to buy too many at first. You might find that your eyes get worse quickly and you need to go up in strength.  I was tempted to buy a bunch and put them around, but decided to see if I ended up needing stronger ones quickly. So far no, I use the weakest ones...but who knows how long that will last. 

Yeah, I'm not sure if that's true or not. I have the same prescription today that I had 12 years ago after Lasik, and I have several pairs of readers around the house (and in the car, just in case). :-)

I just had to.laugh at this thread as right now I am reading it in the car waiting for my daughter......with my glasses sitting in my lap.

I need distance glasses. I had 20/800 vision before glasses. Then I had LASIK and enjoyed about 8 glorious glasses free years. Now I need them to make things crisp and clear.

I don't need them for reading right now and in fact it makes it harder for close up so I am Constantly putting them on and taking them off when at home.

• Like 1