Menu

Do you know this expression wihtout looking it up?

poppy

167 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get the reference "like the dickens"

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Yes, I know the expression and without looking it up I always understood (assumed :unsure: ?) that dickens was a euphemism/replacement for devil.

I just assumed it was because some people are uncomfortable with using the words God, devil, hell, for a variety of reasons and used words like Gosh, dickens and heck to fill in for them in other expressions.

Oh my gosh,

What the heck

Run like the dickens.

etc...

So....what does it mean?

• Like 2

Yes, I know the expression and without looking it up I always understood (assumed :unsure: ?) that dickens was a euphemism/replacement for devil.

I just assumed it was because some people are uncomfortable with using the words God, devil, hell, for a variety of reasons and used words like Gosh, dickens and heck to fill in for them in other expressions.

Oh my gosh,

What the heck

Run like the dickens.

etc...

So....what does it mean?

The bolded is correct, as far as I know.

Although, personally, if I say something "hurt like the dickens," I mean that it "was as painful as reading A Tale of Two Cities," because I couldn't stand that book. ;)

• Like 14

Oh my gosh,

What the heck

Run like the dickens.

etc...

So....what does it mean?

You're right, and you are more right than I was for most of my life!

I used to think it referred to the author Charles Dickens.

Now I know he was an author with a kinda funny name.

In terms of "minced oaths"  there are a lot of classics, but my favorite has always been Jeezum Crow.

• Like 1

Funny story: One time - I think I was about 6 or 7 years old - my granny said the phrase, and I asked her who the Dickens were. I'd never met them, and she talked about them a lot!

Yes but come to think of it, I don't think I've really heard it used by anyone born after 1960.

I have used it a lot when I was younger (it seemed everyone did), and I still use it some today.  I was born in the 1960s.

The phrase "like the dickens" means "a lot", basically, and it is not a reference to Charles Dickens.  "Dickens" is an old (Shakespeare old) reference to the devil.

As for dear, old Charlie: I wish I could write "like a dickens"!  Yes, his stuff can be a little heavy going if you aren't used to it yet, but oh! his word play!  He cracks me up!  I've been reading aloud some of the passages from David Copperfield to my kids -- they are reading other classics and will be reading A Christmas Carol this December -- and they've been grinning and guffawing along with me.

• Like 1

I figured it was kinda like an extreme... "hurt like the dickens" (hurt very much/like hell) "run like the dickens" (run very fast/run like hell) but I haven't heard some of the other expressions that I just read in this thread.

But basically "heck/hell" as another poster said.

I'm going to look it up now...

Edited by heartlikealion