Menu

Please give me some weight loss strategies that don't require too much self control!

I desperately need to lose weight - 50 pounds at least. But I have some huge liabilities. I have major adrenal problems. I'm just now getting treated for low thyroid (not that getting treated is a liability!). I also have chronic pain. The pain is helped by some exercise but increased if I push the exercise too much.

This is where the not wanting to gut this out comes in. Between the fatigue and chronic pain, I use self control just to get out of bed, to wash the dishes, to start the laundry, to school the kids. . . I just feel like I have nothing left in myself to 'make' myself do one more thing. Also - I am so tired all the time that I can't afford to feel tired or wiped out even more from trying to lose weight. So do you have some good relatively painless ways of losing weight? I've started to follow the Sparkspeople menus but I've found that I need to add a bit of protein to each meal or I can't last to the next meal.

good for you, jean, for trying and wanting to do better for your self. as long as you're already working the Sparkpeople menus - try staying within your calorie range even while adjusting for your protein needs. back down the carbs a bit if your body is telling you to up the protein. how are you doing on your water intake - are you getting in your 8 glasses? come on - you can do that! anything worthwhile in life does take effort; there's no sugar-free coating that. the good news is you are worth it!

Low carb. It's easier for me to lose weight when I can eat if I am hungry and the protein/fat helps me stay satiated and not grouchy.

:iagree::iagree: I've lost 36 lbs over the past 10 months. Pretty much my diet is lean protein, salads, fruits & veggies. No bread, no pasta, rarely potatoes.

The first few days was tough. My body was craving carbs. But the low energy from lack of carbs went away and I got my second wind.

Noted- I worked out HARD the first few months and lost faster. When I hit a plateu (sp?), I gave up all soda, butter, alot of salt & alcohol.

I'd like to lose about 20 more lbs although dh disagrees. When I go out w/ family or whatever outting may contain food, I eat whats there. At home-- I pig out on fruit, veggies & egg whites all day!

What kind of pain are you having? There are foods that some say are linked, or at least don't help chronic pain, particularly joint pain. You may want to look into that. For energy, wheat and refined sugar really zap me. Sugar would the #1 to eliminate (creates havoc on appetite, moods, energy). I'd try eliminating the "bad" foods to see the effect. For weight loss go for moderate exercise, fruits & veggies and good protein - keep it balanced. Avoid anything "processed". Good luck :).

What kind of pain are you having? There are foods that some say are linked, or at least don't help chronic pain, particularly joint pain. You may want to look into that. For energy, wheat and refined sugar really zap me. Sugar would the #1 to eliminate (creates havoc on appetite, moods, energy). I'd try eliminating the "bad" foods to see the effect. For weight loss go for moderate exercise, fruits & veggies and good protein - keep it balanced. Avoid anything "processed". Good luck :).

and I'll add in that I dropped 5 lbs with no effort whatsoever just by eating meat for only one meal per day. Notice I did not say only meat for one meal a day. I said meat for only one meal per day (normal serving, along with vegetables/starches, etc.). I read a study on breast cancer not too long ago that tied in meat consumption with breast cancer. Specifically, the study found that women who consumed meat more than 5 times/week were 2-1/2 times more likely to develop breast cancer. I've gotten my meat consumption down to 7 times/week and I plan on cutting out two more days, but that will be much harder as it means involving our family's main meal and trying to have my kids eat only vegetables will be hard.

Just my $.02.

I feel your pain. Recently, my issues of fatigue and exhaustion were made more clear by the revelation that I have hypothyroidism. Medication has made all the difference in the world to me, and I hope you are able to find a solution to your own issue.

As a personal trainer, I would look at your situation (mentioned in your post) and encourage you to have 3 goals for the first month:

1) Get at least 8 hours of sleep (throw in an afternoon catnap if you can, too).

2) Adjust your diet: cut out sugar, eat a large no-carb salad meal for supper (no eating after 7:00 pm, if possible), and drink at least 2 quarts of water per day. I keep a quart jar in my kitchen window filled with water, a visual reminder for me to take a sip here and there throughout the day.

3) Exercise at least 15 minutes per day (mandatory). I recommend Peggy Brill's The Core Program. This program will help you eliminate daily aches and pains, all while helping you begin at your fitness level.

If you can get these things going, it would help you by the second month to add walking to your daily routine (at least 3-5 times per week). If you can't get out to walk, I highly recommend Leslie Sansone's walking workouts in DVD. These are great for every fitness level.

Try to cut out any unnecessary daily activities that stress or push you too much. Streamline and simplify your housekeeping and cooking. Monitor outside of the home activities and stop doing too much.

Hope you begin to feel better!

Blessings.

I'm in a similar situation, Jean.

I tend to avoid doctors, and after moving halfway across the country two and a half years ago, I haven't been to one, not even for a well woman check-up. I finally called last week to make an appointment with a doctor. I can't believe how long I have to wait to get the physical, though. I have an "introductory" appointment in mid-November, and the physical/pap in mid-January.

Last week, I went back to Virginia to visit some friends I hadn't seen in over year. I was shocked to see a former colleague of mine -- she'd lost 90 pounds in 13 months! She went from a size 22 pant to a size 4, I kid you not. She confessed she went to a "fat doctor." She took an appetite suppressant in the morning, along with certain vitamins and her blood pressure meds. She took a fat blocker at night. And, she got weekly B12 shots.

Now that she's lost so much weight, she doesn't need blood pressure meds anymore.

Its' something I thought I might check in to, as well. Unfortunately, my insurance won't cover it. Not sure I could afford to pay for it out-of-pocket, as the weekly shots are $55 (or so), plus the monthly doctor visit, and the prescription meds.

I have a similar fatigue problem. I am always tired. I've had this issue for several years, but tests of my thyroid always come back normal.

Hi Jean, one of my "tree-huggy" friends recently gave me a book to read about candida (yeast) . . . and how it affects our bodies when negative flora is overproducing. I'm only just educating myself about digestion and I'm sure there are many people here who can speak more authoritatively than I about diet and digestion.

I've been "starving" my yeast critters now for 2 weeks by not eating anything involving sugar, wheat, dairy. Once my body is acclimatized to this new eating, I'm going to do a "cleanse" . . . my first one ever and then attempt to maintain this sugar/wheat/dairy way-of-life indefinitely. (I've lost 8 lbs to date but I'm much more motivated by the possibility of having more energy, less mental fogginess and fatigue).

Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook: Everything You Need to Know About Prevention, Treatment & Diet Jeanne Marie Martin

Healthy Life Kitchen Marilu Henner

Maybe just some food for thought!

Warmly, Tricia

So do you have some good relatively painless ways of losing weight?

There's no such way if you want the weight to stay off. Low carb diets can't healthily be maintained. Our bodies need carbs, not to mention they're in everything. Talk about self-control in trying not to eat carbs.

The only truely healthy and long-lasting way is through a lifestyle change in diet and exercise. Your calories in need to be less than your calories out.

I saw a formula that said to take your ideal weight (not an unreasonable or unhealthy one!), multiply it by 11 if you have a slower metabolism (tend to hold on to fat), and that is the amount of calories you should have each day.

Then you need to track your calories daily and the percentages in your diet of carbs to fat to protein. My trainer insists on about 25% or less of my calories from fat, 25% from protein (never more than 30%), and the rest (about 50-55%) from carbs.

I've been tracking calories on fitday.com (they give you a little pie chart, making those percentages easy to watch) for 1.5 years. I lost the weight I needed to lose and have kept it off without a problem.

Sitting down to the computer a couple times a day to enter your foods and plan your meals may sound tedious, and maybe it is, but it will work if you honestly stick to it. And don't forget your appropriate level of exercise, whatever you can do. Even if it's just getting around the block once a day if that's more than you're doing right now.

Good luck!

Low carb.

One can't maintain no carb, but one can maintain low carb. Carbs in moderation and veggies in abundance.

You can eat anything you want, but you have to give up pasta and bread every single day. You can have it once a week or so, no problem, however.

Edited by LibraryLover

I need to put some effort into this again. My effort/changes are simple. (I've had past medical issues that conflicted with exercising and my heart goes out to you.) It just isn't as easy as it used to be.

1. Smaller plates

2. Water

3. Leave at least one bite uneaten.

4. Try to eat until you are just short of not satisfied. Brains don't get the message and we often enjoy eating until we feel full.

5. Don't put enough food on your plate, eat it. You can always eat later.

6. Write down what you eat somewhere

7. Plan menus, check out library books for inspiration. Shop healthy and you'll eat that way.

8. Exercise anyway you can. Sitting and exercising is possible. Just do what you can. Access to a pool would be awesome, walking is great too. You library likely has some great dvds you can check out, not to mention books.

9. If you have an off meal, day, week what ever...don't sweat it. Eating healthy and exercising are just a part of life.

that I've been trying some of the MorningStar meat alternatives in the frozen section of the grocery store. I've tried their Corn Dogs and Buffalo Non-Chicken Wings. Both are good. I pair them with a salad, and voila, easy meal.

Do any of you know other meat alternative options out there? If so, I would love to hear them (I'm always looking for new thing to try).

Do any of you know other meat alternative options out there?

Boca Burgers are an OK replacement to a real meat burger, although I like to use a lot of mustard to cover that soy flavor. (Mustard is practically a caloric freebee, along with salsa!)

But a 100 calorie Boca Burger totally beats a 300+ calorie beef burger when you're counting. Much lower fat and good soy protein, too.

Aaak! I'm getting hungry!

Low carb. It's easier for me to lose weight when I can eat if I am hungry and the protein/fat helps me stay satiated and not grouchy.

:iagree:

I changed my diet a week or two ago back to healthy whole grains, beans, etc., trying to stay on a $25.00 per person per week grocery budget. It's not worth it. I feel like I'm 80 years old.

I understand the difficulty- I have low adrenals, low blood pressure, low iron....I get tired rather easily. I cat nap in the afternoons, I go to bed early and rise early.

For exercise, I walk, or do tai chi/ yoga type exercises.

For diet, I try to eat plenty of protein with each meal, even though we are mostly vegetarian, and I eat whatever I like, whenever I like, but basically healthy- some fruit, plenty of veg, carbs (rice, potatoes). I eat plenty of fat because I find it makes me feel satiated- so I put butter on my potatoes, cream in my soup. The one thing I have dropped is food with sugar added, which means lots of processed foods are out, sugar in my tea and coffee is out, sweet treats are out. if I need a snack, I eat something savoury, or a piece of fruit.

But really, if you are fighting low thyroid...there may not be much you can do other than take as best care of yourself as you can. Once your thyroid hormone levels go up you may find its not so much of an issue. I dont think pushing yourself is the answer. Wait a few weeks and go easy.

And trust me, I have very little self control. :tongue_smilie:

1) Cut out all drinks except water. And when you think you're feeling hungry, drink some water first and wait 15 minutes. It's so easy to confuse thirst and hunger.

2) As soon as you get home from the grocery store: wash, cut up, and otherwise prepare veggies and fruit to snack on during the week. Put them on the shelf of your refrigerator that is closest to eye level so they are the first thing you see when you open it - it makes it easier to make a good choice.

3) Replace your lunch or dinner every day with a big salad. Instead of salad dressing try some plain yogurt and balsamic vinegar. Add some good protein to it - beans, tuna or salmon, cottage cheese, chicken breast, or turkey, but make sure it is full of good veggies.

4) Start each meal by eating fruit or vegetables. Then you will have less room for the higher-calorie stuff and won't feel the need to eat as much of it.

5) Replace bread with lettuce. Grill up a turkey burger with cheese, ditch the bun, and serve it on some crisp lettuce. Make some tuna or salmon salad and serve it on top of lettuce or on an open-faced sandwich.

6) Don't rid your diet of fat, but just remember that fat calories add up quickly. One tablespoon of most good fats (peanut butter, olive oil, etc.) is about 100 calories. I try to aim for about 30% of my calories from fat, 40% from protein and 30% from carbs when I'm trying to lose weight and it seems to be a good balance for me. I've had a lot of luck using a website called fitday.com to track my calories consumed and burned.

7) Allow yourself a treat often. Treat's don't have to be high-calorie: A cup of hot cocoa, a square of chocolate, strawberries dipped in some whipped cream, apples cooked with some brown sugar and cinnamon, a scoop of ice cream. I allocate 150 or so of my daily calories as "treat" calories, that I can use to eat whatever I want. Knowing that I get a little reward every day really helps me do better with the rest of my eating. And I will watch the rest of my calories more closely because I really want my treat!

I really hope you find some strategies that work well for you. It is so hard to worry about what you are eating when you're already stressed, tired, and in pain. :grouphug:

There's no such way if you want the weight to stay off. Low carb diets can't healthily be maintained. Our bodies need carbs, not to mention they're in everything. Talk about self-control in trying not to eat carbs.

Just an FYI - you get plenty of carbs on a low carb diet. In their natural form - veggies. I'm not sure why that isn't good for you - in fact, i ate BETTER eating LC than i did before or am now.

Not does not equal low.

For me, this works:

Eat smaller meals more frequently. You don't get hungry that way and it speeds up your metabolism.

If nothing else, eat a substantial "snack" or a substitute dinner somewhere between 3:00 and 4:30. If I hit the dinner hour hungry, and especially if dinner is delayed for sports, etc., then I lose self-control and essentially eat two dinners. (Either have seconds or eat while I'm cooking and again when the family eats.)

I can't stand to count calories, fat grams, etc. The adjustments that I've made are:

Eat a balance at each mini-meal: protein, fat, and carb. in the form of fruit, vege, or whole grain. (I do better if even the whole grains are limited). Use monosaturated fats such as olive and canola oil, nuts, and avocados. You will feel satisfied, still lose weight, and improve your cholesterol profile. Select protein from egg or egg whites, fish, poultry as much as possible. Work to increase fruits and veges. You will eat more, and be filled up with the fiber, but also tons of nutrients that your body needs to get back into balance. I also love chocolate and so allow myself some semi-sweet or dark chocolate a couple times a day. If I get the chocolate, I don't crave sugars. (I like the dark chocolate at Trader Joe's, and Baker's semi-sweet baking chocolate.) If you limit the portion, you will not get a substantial amount of sugar. And the dark chocolate is good for you.

If I start to feel hungry and like I need to eat later at night, I cook an egg white (I buy them bottled.) I personally like it with some avocado.

I lose weight this way -a pound or two a week, and it requires very little self-control. It also means that I'm getting excellent nutrition which helps keep my blood pressure and cholesterol in a decent range even while I'm still overweight.

I agree. My breast doctor does not want patients eating a lot of soy. No more than one serving a day. There is some evidence that it increases the risk of breast cancer; the jury is still out. She's never said anything about meat being an issue. She is very into keeping up with the research.

It may be that saturated fat consumption is related to breast cancer. Breast cancer risk is raised by being overweight, for instance.

Edited by Laurie4b

I eat lots of fruits and veggies throughout the day. Apples are great in the morning, and bell peppers too. They make me very full and I feel great because I never feel like I'm suffering or starving. I also eat yogurt, some cheese, and occasionally meat (usually poultry or fish). I stay away-far away- from breads, sugar, and fast food (that's a killer!). I try to not eat a big meal past 4 pm. If I'm hungry, I usually eat something light like melon or veggies in the evening. I also stopped using sugar in coffee. I feel great and have not even been thinking consciously about weight loss at all. I've been doing this since April and I've had lots of people tell me that I've lost weight, and my clothes are fitting differently too. I feel like my effort has been very minimal b/c I never starve, but just watch what I eat. One day I ate a fast food sandwich and the next day I felt so horrible, so that was an indication to me how important it is to just stay away from it altogether. I've noticed a huge difference in how a nutritious diet alone can make the world of difference.

I've overcome early CFS/FM, celiac, adrenal fatigue, chronic joint pain, gut issues, depression, anxiety, severe eczema and probably other things I can't think of right now:)

There won't be a magic bullet that's 'one size fits all', but the foundation will be the same for most people.

POTASSIUM

Get lots of potassium. Lots. That's a major energy producer. The only way to do that is via fruit and veggie consumption. Make it easy since you're so fatigued right now. Tomato juice, tomato sauce, salsa can and should be added to everything (if you tolerate tomato). It's got the best ratio of potassium: calories of all available foods. Make sure to get low sodium versions since potassium:sodium ratio is critical. We often hear that bananas are great.....they are, but they only have enough potassium to balance their own caloric donation to our diet. Ideally we want a 4:1 potassium to calorie ratio. Banana's don't have any 'extra' potassium to offset the poor potassium/cal ratio of the other foods we eat. Tomato products do - in spades. Kiwi also has a lot of potassium (eat the skin). Broths made from veggie peelings have tons of potassium (but your energy level might not be up to it right now. http://www.krispin.com has a good section on ways to work potassium into your diet. great section actually.

PRODUCE

tons. potassium, minerals, fiber, antixodiants. since you're extremely fatigued, make it easy for now....buy bagged lettuce. eat a salad with every meal (yup, incl breakfast). Or make a pot of veggie soup (tomato based with mixed veg/beef broth).....or broccoli fennel soup.....or carrot cauliflower.....or cauliflower dill. Something based on *nonstarchy* veggies and broth (ie no dairy, no potato etc). Make sure you're getting 2 servings of veggies at each meal and one at each snack plus a few fruits per day - *in whatever way you can*. eating pickling cukes plain, carrots, celery, bagged salad, soups made ahead, apples, kiwi, pears....things you can literally pick up, wash and eat with no peeling, cutting, chopping (i never peel carrots....just wash and bite)

PROTEIN

a gram per 2 lbs ideal body weight. some will need more, some less. I need less. but when i was less well, I needed much much more. krispin's recommendation for me was a 'palm sized' portion 4x per day. at the time I had been nursing or pregnant for 6 years.....vegetarian that whole time, and certainly severely deficient in zinc, iron, vitamin d and other key macronutrients. I needed digestive enzymes to tolerate the meat consumption....and thankfully now, I can do well with less meat (i'm a veg at heart, from an ethical/environmental perspective). Go with dark/bright animal protein sources....ie red meat/dark meat (iron/zinc...but lowest fat cuts), wild salmon (never farmed), sardines, tuna (the mercury risk has been overstated...the seychelles child development study clearly details this)

VITAMIN D

get it tested right now. now. no D containing supplements (multi etc) or high D foods for 48h prior to testing. D deficiency is nearly universal (based on optimal values, not lab norms) in the united states. at least amongst people wearing clothes;) or sunscreen or those indoors midday or those above 30d latitude. that pretty much covers everyone. Five years ago, I had my D levels tested per Krispin's recommendation. I was severely D deficient even though I was outside with my children every day (i sought shade and avoided midday heat), got lots of incidental exposure and wore *no* sunscreen of any kind, ever. It takes me 2000 IU to maintain good D levels. I haven't been tested in a year though, and I'm more sun avoidant/protective than I used to be. Based on my increase in respiratory infections, I'm thinking I might need even more D.

vitamindcouncil.org has all of the evidence based info. D3 is the correct form, d2 is not helpful. there is some anecdotal evidence that optimizing 25(OH)D levels will improve thyroid profile. more info at the aforementioned site. More is not better with D, it's the *right* amount you want....and all available evidence is indicating that the right amount is definitely not less than 2000 IU per day and for healthy normal women it maybe as much as 4400 IU per day (depending on skin tone, sun avoidance/seeking, latitude, etc)

SUPPLEMENTs

A great multi can really round things out. After tracking my best and worst days, it's clear to me that no matter how perfect things are at times, I still don't get enough zinc, iron, magnesium, calcium and D. I take Natrol My Favorite Multiple Take One. iherb.com has the best prices. it's got the 'right' kind of iron (the safest, most easily absorbed Ferrochel (iron bisglycinate) by Albion labs), the right kind of zinc, selenium etc. Not too much E, decent b vites etc.

Add in sufficient (not excessive) calcium and magnesium....read up on magnesium at krispin.com. For me, a 1:1 ratio of cal:mag (from all sources) is better than the typial 2:1 cal:mag. I take solray calcium magnesium citrate.....it's a 200:200 mg supplement....I take a few spread throughout the day (usually 3) If my muscles are feeling stiff/sore, or if anxiety is creeping in, I take some additional magnesium in the form of Jigsaw Health time released formulation of Albion labs chelated/magneisum glycinate. It's the only expensive supplement I use - and I use it b/c it's the only way I can get 'extra' magnesium in without causing loose stools.

How can you do this fairly easily:

1)roast a pan of chicken or turkey thighs (evoo, salt, pepper, garlic) or some red meat. freeze in amounts sufficient for you for one day. or cook in crockpot then freeze (unless your family will eat it all in a couple of days like mine will)

2)get canned beans.....add 1/2c-1c to something you eat.....every single day. on days when you're over the beans, use hummus - try for no additives except olive oil.

3)easy produce - ideas above. you're shooting for 10-13 servings of produce per day. It's not as much as it seems like considering that most servings are 1/2c except for the fluffy stuff (lettuce, raw greens) and the big stuff (broccoli, cauliflower). shoot for 2lbs raw weight produce per day.....most of it raw where possible, lightly cooked as needed. clementines, apples, pears, grapefruit, frozen fruit blended into a smoothie with water and vanilla whey protein powder......carrots, celery, bagged lettuce, tomato, avocado (1/8 per day), cukes, frozen broccoli, frozen cauliflower are all super easy and require little to no prep. as you feel better, you can modify your choices and prep options. make soup to keep on hand.

4)handful of raw nuts (freshly shelled preferable to keep delicate fats stable) each day.

5)order cheap but high quality supps from iherb.com or vitacost.com or similar I find iherb.com to be unsurpassed in customer service and prices. i often put my shopping choices in the 'cart' on both sites...b/c of iherb.com's discount at the last second of checkout, it's always been cheaper for me. Natrol *take one* original is great for premenopausal women and boys and girls who are hitting puberty. Lots I know also like GNC's women's formula. It's time released. It's expensive though so I'm not thrilled with it:) An appropriate cal/mag (solaray cal/mag citrate.....rainbow light everyday calcium.....fish oil like natural factors rx omega to take on the days you don't eat a fatty fish)

6)check out krispin.com for excellent info on the hows and whys of magneisum and potassium. they're critical to optimal health and virtually no one gets sufficient amounts.

Wishing you the very very best and a speedy return to health. I'm happy to help clarify/help in any way I can.

Be sure to not take any D supplements for 48h prior to the test of the results will be skewed to the high side.

Also, keep in mind that it takes 3 mos for your body's D level to max out at 'x' level of supplementation.....in otherwords, it's only after 12 weeks or so of taking the 5,000 IU everyday that you'll know how high 5,000 IU will get you.

Sounds like your doc is 'on it' though:) At least they have you taking 5,000 IU D3 (right?) as opposed to 50,000 IU D2 several times per week....which is poor practice but done very frequently.

Wishing you all good things

• 1 month later...
I'm in a similar situation, Jean.

I tend to avoid doctors, and after moving halfway across the country two and a half years ago, I haven't been to one, not even for a well woman check-up. I finally called last week to make an appointment with a doctor. I can't believe how long I have to wait to get the physical, though. I have an "introductory" appointment in mid-November, and the physical/pap in mid-January.

Last week, I went back to Virginia to visit some friends I hadn't seen in over year. I was shocked to see a former colleague of mine -- she'd lost 90 pounds in 13 months! She went from a size 22 pant to a size 4, I kid you not. She confessed she went to a "fat doctor." She took an appetite suppressant in the morning, along with certain vitamins and her blood pressure meds. She took a fat blocker at night. And, she got weekly B12 shots.

Now that she's lost so much weight, she doesn't need blood pressure meds anymore.

Its' something I thought I might check in to, as well. Unfortunately, my insurance won't cover it. Not sure I could afford to pay for it out-of-pocket, as the weekly shots are $55 (or so), plus the monthly doctor visit, and the prescription meds.

I have a similar fatigue problem. I am always tired. I've had this issue for several years, but tests of my thyroid always come back normal.

Check out Drrind.com about the thyroid issue. I gave myself B12 shots... I just got an Rx and took it to the pharmacy. It cost that much for 6 months if I remember right.

(These are things that work for me; I'm convinced that no one plan works for every single person on the planet, lol...but they're worth a try)

Don't eat after 7:00 pm.

Add some fruit or veggies to every meal, if you don't do that already.

Don't forbid certain foods...just try and exercise good portion control and common sense. (Also, if you're going to do a certain amount of calorie counting--sometimes that's truly the only way to lose--experiment with how to spread them throughout the day)

Get enough fiber! Soluble and non!

Drink a ton of water.

Exercise first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. (Two low-pressure suggestions are 8 Minutes in the Morning and any of the Leslie Sansone walking tapes)

HTH!

Here's something that I've found extremely helpful and is very simple:

http://www.nosdiet.com/

Amy :o)

Wouldn't work for me. S stands for Saturday, Sunday, Special days, and Sick days and I have more of those than I do non-sick days. :o

Okay, so I just want to complain! Can I have whine with my cheese, or is that not allowed? :lol:

I desperately need to lose weight - 50 pounds at least. But I have some huge liabilities. I have major adrenal problems. I'm just now getting treated for low thyroid (not that getting treated is a liability!). I also have chronic pain. The pain is helped by some exercise but increased if I push the exercise too much.

This is where the not wanting to gut this out comes in. Between the fatigue and chronic pain, I use self control just to get out of bed, to wash the dishes, to start the laundry, to school the kids. . . I just feel like I have nothing left in myself to 'make' myself do one more thing. Also - I am so tired all the time that I can't afford to feel tired or wiped out even more from trying to lose weight. So do you have some good relatively painless ways of losing weight? I've started to follow the Sparkspeople menus but I've found that I need to add a bit of protein to each meal or I can't last to the next meal.

I like to eat cooked chicken as a "meal" once a day, sometimes for breakfast - either grilled chicken breasts (cook a bunch at once and then refrigerate) or one of those roast chickens from the grocery (take the skin off). So when the kids are eating mac'n'cheese I'm over in the kitchen eating meat like a barbarian.

Another thing is to drink water or plain tea all day long. I make a pot of tea and drink some hot in the morning, then when it gets cooled off I pour some over ice to make iced tea. No sugar or cream. If you drink coffee, drink it black.

I snack on tangerines.

I also recently gave up drinking alcohol. That added too many empty calories and made me feel bleh.

Our family has never been big on desserts so I just don't make them. If the kids want something sweet they can get a scoop of ice cream. Once in a while I make pie, but not too often because I can't resist it.

Other things I eat in moderation. I am not one to deprive myself, I just know when to stop eating. Except for pasta - I cut back on making pasta because that is one food that's hard to not overeat.

If you do this with some moderate exercise, even doing heavy housework & going up & down stairs counts - you should see progress.

Jean, I just realized that you just started on thyroid meds. When I first started on my thyroid meds I lost 30 pounds over about 6 months. My lifestyle changed because I was feeling better, but I did not work on losing weight.

I forgot that I have something to add: In the past the easiest way for me to lose weight has been to drink Epic Ganoderma coffee substitute. I add a sugar sub and soy milk and drink it all day long. I practically forget to eat. (I can't have it now b/c DS is allergic, which is why I forgot.) It gives me more energy too.

I haven't read all of the replies, but thought I would add my 2 cents.

I have eliminated just 3 things from my diet and added one. Since I made these changes I have lost 14 lbs. in one month despite having an underactive thyroid.

I have eliminated:

all artificial sweeteners - I found that they actually increased my cravings.

High Fructose Corn Syrup - It is in everything, but I have found replacements at Trader Joes. I still allow myself sugar, but my cravings are greatly reduced since I dropped diet foods, so I am consuming less sweets.

Partially Hydrogenated Fats (actually any chemically created fats) - I still use fats to cook like olive oil, grape seed oil, coconut oil, and even real butter.

I have added:

Fish Oil - I have no idea why, but I have much more energy when I take fish oil.

But I am not dieting. I allow myself to eat anything I want as long as it does not contain the above items. I still allow myself snacks but I replaced my Nestle cocoa with Trader Joes brand, Skippy with Whole Foods 365 peanut butter, I replaced the microwaveable pop corn with real pop corn made in an air popper with butter poured over the top etc.