Menu

Talk to me about natural burial

fairfarmhand

I'm giving thought to what I would want if something were to happen to me.

I think that so much of the funeral industry is unnecessary and too expensive. (whispering because big funerals with viewings and such are a HUGE deal here in the South)

I don't want to be embalmed. I want a simple biodegradable casket. No vault. No viewing. Small graveside service.

So...

I wouldn't want my family to be burdened with researching this (for our area) unconventional choice at a difficult time.

Where can I get reliable information about this burial choice and have it ready in case there were a need.?

(I'm only 36, so hopefully its a long time before I need this)

Google "green burial" and your area. There are a limited number of places so you may have to expand your search. Some will arrange transportation etc. 

One thing we've toyed with for years is the idea of making a family cemetery on our property. We've got 40 acres. I'd love to make a pretty place with trees and a fence and some roses.

• Like 2

Green burial

Orthodox Jewish burial practices

Orthodox Christisn burial practices

Google any of those.

FYI, for those who are closer to 76 than to 36, if you are dealing with a funeral home tat is telling you that you MUST do one thing or another that is not essentially an immediate and natural burial, tell them you want to know what they do for Orthodox Jews. It cuts right through the sales pitch.

Orthodox Christian works well, too, but we are not as well known in the US.

There is also a TON of information inthe book A Christian Ending to Our Lives by Mark and Elizabeth Barna, not affiliated with the research group.

Muslims also do "natural burials."  Basically, the body is washed (either by family members or volunteers), shrouded in either fabric or two sheets, and if possible, put directly in the ground.  If not, a simple wooden casket is used.  Because embalming is not done, burial is usually done within 24 hours of possible. (I think this also just related to the Middle Eastern climate, and how bodies would likely start to smell quite quickly.)

If you have a local mosque or Islamic center, they will often have something on their web page either about "Muslim friendly" funeral homes or services they provide.  Some communities have rooms for actually preparing the body.

• Like 2

It never occurred to me to research this... I always assumed the 'least fuss' approach was also most environmentally sound, but see that a 'green burial' is much more environmentally appropriate than cremation. It seems our local cemetery offers this. (These plots also have no markers). It's already a rather lovely place, in bushland, with only flat grave markers allowed. It's where we take visitors to see kangaroos - they come out at night to eat the flowers left by visitors, I think.

• Like 2

This is interesting to me because we were always told that it is illegal to bury someone without a vault and anywhere other than a designated cemetery. Wonder if that was just a bunch of boloney to keep people spending the big bucks. 

This is interesting to me because we were always told that it is illegal to bury someone without a vault and anywhere other than a designated cemetery. Wonder if that was just a bunch of boloney to keep people spending the big bucks. 

So from what I've been reading, the vault is up to the individual cemetary. The concret vault is as much about keeping the grounds looking nice and keeping the ground from sinking in. They can cut grass and keep headstones from toppling over.

Cemetary I think has to be surveyed and marked as such. This keeps future developers from unearthing the dead.

I am pretty sure about that. My dh surveyd for a bit and the crew hated it when they'd accidentally come upon an old burial ground because it meant more mapping and paper work and the landowner, who often had no clue it was there, was sometimes annoyed because they may not be able to use the property as they'd intended.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 2

If you ask for an Orthodox Jewish style burial, it is "natural" in that there is no vault (if allowed in that area), a simple pine casket (or nothing other than a shroud in Israel), but there are a lot of parts you wouldn't need like the purification rituals/prayers, specific clothing the body wears, the guarding of the body from the time of death until burial, etc.  So maybe Orthodox Jewish-style? ;)

Also, there are Jews in most larger cities and Orthodox Jews in many places.  Chabad Lubavitch are everywhere (49 of the 50 US states) and they might be a resource to you.

Good luck and may you not need this information for a very long time.

• Like 2

Does any one know of any worksheets that help you spell out your final wishes? I want something that lists out stuff so I can indicate my preferences. I'm not at the point of prepaying my funeral so I don't want to go to the funeral home.

What I want to do is make sure my dh and kids are protected from the family members who would be appalled and judgey at my choices.

• Like 1

My parents filled out legal paperwork at a lawyers and they filled out a DNR at their doctors and they filled out something called Five Wishes which is what you are looking for online, but I'm not sure how they got it. Go to a senior resources center and they will have this sort of thing.

The five wishes was helpful at a personal level but the legal and medical paperwork was how my dad had my back in following his wishes.

If you ask for an Orthodox Jewish style burial, it is "natural" in that there is no vault (if allowed in that area), a simple pine casket (or nothing other than a shroud in Israel), but there are a lot of parts you wouldn't need like the purification rituals/prayers, specific clothing the body wears, the guarding of the body from the time of death until burial, etc.  So maybe Orthodox Jewish-style? ;)

Also, there are Jews in most larger cities and Orthodox Jews in many places.  Chabad Lubavitch are everywhere (49 of the 50 US states) and they might be a resource to you.

Good luck and may you not need this information for a very long time.

Thank you!  I should have said "Orthodox Jewish-style."  And from what has been said in this thread, Muslim- and Orthodox Christian-style would also work.  We just had to deal with this for a friend whose mother died in Michigan (not our state) and the funeral director was telling my friend that embalming is required by state law.  NO IT ISN"T. Not in any state.  And in large part, that is because of the burial practices of the Orthodox Jews and Christians and Muslims...  

Some states or cemeteries within states still require a vault, but to meet the requirements within Judaism that the body be in contact with the earth, there is no "floor" on the vault--so it is more like a concrete tent than a box, if that makes sense.  

Anyway, anyone wishing for natural burial, immediate burial (we Orthodox Christians bury on the third day), and so on, it is helpful to know of these practices because they keep you from getting told a bunch of baloney and sold a bill of goods at a very stressful time.  

THEY don't have to prepare the body for burial.  For viewing, probably at least a little, but not makeup and all...just coverage and so on.  Orthodox Christians can OPT to have the body prepared by the funeral home, but increasingly, this is being done by parishioners or family members.  That book I mentioned upthread tells how to do this.  

THEY don't have to sell you the casket.  A parishioner makes ours; there are some that you can buy ahead and then assemble at need (flap A in slot B) that are natural.  Increasingly, I am seeing wicker baskets and so on.  Ours are supposed to be biodegradable by their nature.  And if I recall correctly, a casket is not technically required...it *does* make it easier to transport the body.  But technically, you can be buried just all wrapped up.  This is what is being done at a local "green" cemetery.

And as for setting aside property...I would be interested to learn about this.  Our parish is hoping someday to purchase property where we can have an actual churchyard.  It's part of the reminder of our mortality as we go into the church building, and as we leave.  But our county is really governed by dictators and they don't let you do a LOT of things with your own land--like pulling out blackberry briars--, so it's unlikely we will ever get a churchyard!

My friend just had to figure this out for her 40 yo DH. In our state, if you're not embalmed you have to either be buried in a pasture or a vault in the ground. They did have only 48 hours to figure everything out because he wasn't embalmed. There was a small graveside service. They had not pre-planned but at least had discussed having a green burial at some point in the past.

My friend just had to figure this out for her 40 yo DH. In our state, if you're not embalmed you have to either be buried in a pasture or a vault in the ground. They did have only 48 hours to figure everything out because he wasn't embalmed. There was a small graveside service. They had not pre-planned but at least had discussed having a green burial at some point in the past.

I'm sorry for your friend's loss--so young!!

Refrigeration is a substitute for embalming. This is true in every state. It ticks me off when people under pressure are told things that are just wrong.

I am donating my body to U of MI medical center/universit. This way new medical personnel can be trained and my family does not have a big expense. They can have a simple memorial service if they like.

Dh and mil are doing this as well. My mother is very angry about this. She is a big believer in the huge, expensive funeral thing which is odd because her dad died when she was 16 and the funeral left her mother unable to pay the rent or buy food. Not good times.

My father had a green burial in the UK. It was a designated site, but set up as a meadow that will be gradually planted with trees. No gravestones. Just benches at intervals where visitors can sit.

No embalming, closed coffin made of willow. It was lovely, but not particularly cheap.

http://m.memorialwoodlands.com

Darn it, the photos on that site were so gorgeous, now I want a funeral there! Tough to arrange from Washington, oh well. 

• Like 2

Cemetary I think has to be surveyed and marked as such. This keeps future developers from unearthing the dead.

In most states, people can be buried on private property, such as a backyard or family land. There may be local, county or state laws that have to be followed (such as the amount of property needed, how/if it needs to be marked, depth of grave, permits and registrations, etc.) and it may or may not be allowed within city limits. Don't rule it out unless you explore the option. Keep in mind, too, that if the property is sold, you do need to disclose the burial. 

Darn it, the photos on that site were so gorgeous, now I want a funeral there! Tough to arrange from Washington, oh well.

Washington has a similar site somewhere in the Cascades. And more coming.

Refrigeration is a substitute for embalming. This is true in every state. It ticks me off when people under pressure are told things that are just wrong.

Yes. My father's funeral took place about ten days after his death. I assume his body was refrigerated.

Yes. My father's funeral took place about ten days after his death. I assume his body was refrigerated.

It was three weeks for my FIL. Big snowstorm, no cemetery access, Christmas. :0/

I was thinking about the number of British mystery novels that turn on the exhumation of coffins to find nothing in them or the wrong body.

I have been to five funerals and none was open casket. Perhaps embalming is less practised here.

It goes back to President Lincoln.  He was embalmed and then went on 1600 mile tour.   After that, people thought embalming was the cat's meow.  Then a fashion, became tradition, became a 'requirement'.   

• Like 1

My dad just died and this is what we were told, as well. We could do the green burial, just not in our choice of cemetery, and they told us New York State law required a vault.

Edited by reefgazer

My dad just died and this is what we were told, as well. We could do the green burial, just not in our choice of cemetery, and they told us New York State law required a vault.

I'm really sorry for your loss. I just read your other post and could totally relate to the exhaustion of the day.

Vaults are like concrete structures to keep the grave from collapsing over time as astute takes its course. However, some have a slab on the bottom and others don't. It's a device to keep the cemetery from looking derelict and to reduce the cost of maintenance.

It's not required by some of the newer green cemeteries, but they are often in a more natural setting, and hAbe no gravestones.

((®))