Menu

Weird. Bittersweet. And a question about medical care

Joanne

I guess I met my deductible (I have never done that before!). UHC sent me a $95 check because I paid over my deductible. My Rx's today were free - no copay!

So, if you had half a year left and already met your deductible, what would you "get done" for medical support and care?

• Like 1

I realize that every plan is different of course. We met our deductible the second week of January, and the out-of-pocket max just a few weeks ago. From here on out, all covered procedures (surgeries, tests, PT, even allergy shots) are $0, but we still pay for office visits and prescriptions.

I'm getting a sleep study and a full workup on my menopausal issues. Both issues that have been put off for ages and are effecting my health. Both required pre-approval, but no biggie.

• Like 1

If I had met my deductible and my co-insurance so I didn't have to pay anything?

I'd get a sleep study, and some therapy, and maybe see a nutritionist.

I meet my deductible every year, but I still have to pay 40% of most of the providers I'd want to see until I meet co-insurance.  

• Like 1

I guess I met my deductible (I have never done that before!). UHC sent me a $95 check because I paid over my deductible. My Rx's today were free - no copay!

So, if you had half a year left and already met your deductible, what would you "get done" for medical support and care?

Skin check at the dermatologist for sure. 

• Like 3

Also, not to push the procedure, but I know you considered weight loss surgery at one time. Might be a good idea to see if that is covered if you are still interested. 

I have decided against it due to the correlation with addiction, particularly alcohol. With my history (even though I've been sober 25 years), and genetics, I don't want to risk it.

• Like 3

I have decided against it due to the correlation with addiction, particularly alcohol. With my history (even though I've been sober 25 years), and genetics, I don't want to risk it.

I understand. It is definitely a real issue (not me personally, but I hear about it on bariatric forums). 

A glamorous colonoscopy. Recommended to have one as a baseline at age 50, not sure if you're really close to that (I'm thinking not?).

Any of the routine things like mammogram, GYN well check, dental, optical, good suggestion above about a thorough skin cancer screening. Any issues you might have that a podiatrist would examine, custom orthotics IF your insurance covers that kind of thing.

What about your kids, are they under your policy and have a deductible met? If so, do they need anything?

We meet ours every year fairly early - usually April. Blows me away. The one bonus to pricey asthma meds.

Do you need epipens or inhalers? Now is the time to stock up and make sure you have lots of extras, in case you leave one in the car in the heat or lose one.

Dermatologist.

Nutritionist.

Anything you know you need done that you've been avoiding? Sleep study comes to mind.

Pick up your monthly meds as early as they allow - so you build up a small amount of extras to keep in the emergency kit, in case of some type of prolonged disaster. Or even if you lose a bottle, one month.

A glamorous colonoscopy. Recommended to have one as a baseline at age 50, not sure if you're really close to that (I'm thinking not?).

Any of the routine things like mammogram, GYN well check, dental, optical, good suggestion above about a thorough skin cancer screening. Any issues you might have that a podiatrist would examine, custom orthotics IF your insurance covers that kind of thing.

What about your kids, are they under your policy and have a deductible met? If so, do they need anything?

So, funny story. I turned 50 in April. I was on an international educational tour with my job (in charge of 20 teens!). I had gotten very sick with what I thought at the time was "something I ate." I spent my 50th birthday in a bar in Italy, sipping ginger ale, hunched over in cramping pain so I could "use" their bathroom. I kept thinking I'd get better.

I did not. When I got home, 50 and 2 days, I had blood in my bowel and was admitted to the hospital. A colonoscopy and biopsy revealed inflammatory bowel disease - Crohns! That is how I got to where my deductible was met.

Lasik if it's covered.

Oh man, yeah! I wish I could fix my eyes. And my veins. Actually, I wish it were possible to have a vein transplant because I don't know how many more veins they can possibly kill off just because they don't do their job prettily.

Stupid veins.

The above things, plus any chiropractic, deep tissue, or rehab OT that needed to be done. Allergy drops? Anything that would be frequent care or expensive---because those co-pays freaking kill you. Adding to the labs: cardiac enzymes for you, VECTRA for your kid with RA, and genetic testing if you can get it written for.  HLA typing within that genetic analysis is something I'd be aiming for---especially given that y'all have a lot of inflammatory crud going on. I suspect that the next decade is going to be giving us more information about being able to predict which biologic will be a good match as we better understand pathogenesis, epigenetic changes, and phenotyping within disease.

So, funny story. I turned 50 in April. I was on an international educational tour with my job (in charge of 20 teens!). I had gotten very sick with what I thought at the time was "something I ate." I spent my 50th birthday in a bar in Italy, sipping ginger ale, hunched over in cramping pain so I could "use" their bathroom. I kept thinking I'd get better.

I did not. When I got home, 50 and 2 days, I had blood in my bowel and was admitted to the hospital. A colonoscopy and biopsy revealed inflammatory bowel disease - Crohns! That is how I got to where my deductible was met.

Good grief, how could I have forgotten that? I didn't know your age but I do remember thinking about how rotten that experience must have been. I was just running through a mental list of the things I might need for myself, if my deductible were met. You are obviously all caught up in that department.

I hope your Crohn's is settled down to a manageable state and that you're feeling better.

Hmmm.

Any moles or lumps you want gone?

A visit to a dermatologist?

Any medical weight loss products (we have a weight loss clinic in our hospital)?

New glasses? Contacts? LASIK?

Sexy compression hose??

Dermatologist screening for skin cancer...

I wish I could do Lasik and veins, but alas...not covered.

We just met our deductible, so my plan:

Go to the dermatologist to get things checked out.

Go ahead and schedule annual (more like every 3 year) visit with the gyno -- fun fun.  Also pressing for blood workout with this -- struggling to lose weight and chronically fatigued.

+ See the dermatologist for a full body "mole check" and get any bad ones removed. 

+ See an allergist if you have any allergy issues. 

+ Get PT for any lingering injuries.

+ See the gynecologist for a once-over. 

+ Screenings like mammograms/colonoscopies could be advisable, as even though the screenings are generally free with the ACA, any followup care (biopsies, bad things, etc.) wouldn't be free, so might as well find any problems now.