Menu

Laundry detergent pods

Night Elf

That's all we use for laundry now.  I found that it saves $$ in that my sons (who have been doing their own laundry) would dump in too much detergent and this is a measured amount.

At college, it is a lot easier to just grab a pod and toss it in the machine then toting back and forth the liquid/dry detergent. 

As far as brands, so far we've used All detergent free and dye-free due to allergies so I can't tell you about generic brands.

Myra

• Like 3

Well, what I wonder is if you don't do a full load if that would be rather wasteful.  With one person's worth of laundry, having less than full loads seems even more likely to me.

Oh no - college students living in dorms will have a full load, because they won't do laundry unless they absolutely have to because there are no more clean clothes

• Like 15

We use them. Just remind her that they are poisonous (and look like candy), so to keep them out of reach of kids and pets if she goes somewhere to do laundry where they might be.

Yes this. There have been multiple instances of children eating these and it was not good:( I like them too just make sure to keep them out of reach of children.

LMAO

I was doing my laundry for so long prior that I guess I got past that issue by that point.

But you also lived at home, or do I remember that wrong?

Laundry at home is a whole 'nother ballgame than using the shared laundry facilities in the dorm basement and babysitting your stuff so the next person does not chuck it out on the floor when it's done and they want to use the machine. At least DD's dorm machines got outfitted so they could use their card; before they had a designated "quarter czar" whom you could go see for change.

But you also lived at home, or do I remember that wrong?

Laundry at home is a whole 'nother ballgame than using the shared laundry facilities in the dorm basement and babysitting your stuff so the next person does not chuck it out on the floor when it's done and they want to use the machine. At least DD's dorm machines got outfitted so they could use their card; before they had a designated "quarter czar" whom you could go see for change.

I lived there only one semester, but most people went home on the weekend so they'd bring their laundry.  So doing laundry was not so bad.

I can imagine though! 

Well, what I wonder is if you don't do a full load if that would be rather wasteful.  With one person's worth of laundry, having less than full loads seems even more likely to me.

This isn't going to be a problem for my dd. She hates doing laundry and puts it off until she has nothing left to wear. I've been doing her laundry for her for a while now and I can get one super load for her stuff. She's going to have to get back in the swing of doing it herself.

• Like 1

Yes this. There have been multiple instances of children eating these and it was not good:( I like them too just make sure to keep them out of reach of children.

Yes, just to emphasize: of course, drinking any laundry detergent would be poisonous.  However, I no longer use the pods at ALL after talking to a helicopter/ICU nurse.  She had to transport a kid who swallowed a pod.  It went down terribly smoothly, and there was very, very little they could do about it, because the poison was delivered so thoroughly.  Horrible.

They would be great for college students; in fact, I may use them again when I have no children in the house.  However, right now they give me the willies. 

Yes, just to emphasize: of course, drinking any laundry detergent would be poisonous.  However, I no longer use the pods at ALL after talking to a helicopter/ICU nurse.  She had to transport a kid who swallowed a pod.  It went down terribly smoothly, and there was very, very little they could do about it, because the poison was delivered so thoroughly.  Horrible.

They would be great for college students; in fact, I may use them again when I have no children in the house.  However, right now they give me the willies. 

Agreed. And they look and smell so much like candy. Heck, I'm almost tempted to eat one!

Besides, I like controlling how much detergent I use depending on the load size. I often do a pretty large load and I think one pod wouldn't be enough, and two pods would be more than I need and wasteful. Or at least that's what I tell myself when I skip them to buy my regular old detergent. 

My (5- and 7-year-old) kids do their laundry with pods.  I think they would be great for college... just have to carry a couple pods to the laundry machines instead of a whole heavy bottle of liquid or powder.  We use All Free & Clear because of allergies.

We use TIDE pods with an LG front loader. I like that my kids can use and don't have to measure anything, although my dd has a hard time opening a fully closed washer door.

My college ds recently told me he had this problem and threw the rest away. I think it was a problem with not enough water to dissolve the pod fully, probably because he was overstuffing the washer. Also, the pod is supposed to go in first, but he was putting it in the middle of the heap in the washer.

• Like 1

I'm another convert. I like that ds isn't using more detergent than necessary. 

I use Tide pods, but I used Tide liquid before I switched. Over the years I tried many different brands of detergent and tried homemade, but always came back to Tide. When I made the switch to pods it was natural for me to go with Tide pods.

I hate them in our new front loader. They don't dissolve. To use them up I had to pre soak the pod for 30 minutes before starting the laundry, so it would be dissolved. What I love is liquid detergent in a hand soap pump. So easy.

The things in life that make you go, DUH! I am needing to buy more laundry detergent and may do this....can't remember if there is a big price difference in liquid vs pods.