Menu

I need free or inexpensive high school curriculum...

My oldest ds will be a 10th grader this year.  We have always used MFW, but this year it doesn't look like we'll have the funds for the next level (it's $442 new).  

Not sure what to do next.  I know that Easy Peasy has a high school level and I've looked at it, but I'm not sure it's for us.  I know he could do free public school on-line, but I've heard horrible things about it.  We have math taken care of and I can probably swing money for a used Apologia book, but I'm at a loss for history.  Last year he did Ancient history with MFW.  He will continue to take German on duolingo.

Looks like I'm really looking for social studies (American history, economics, gov't, or geography) and language arts.  Ideas?  Thanks!!

You can buy older editions of introductory college texts for under $10. Have him work through the text, supplement with documentaries and library books. See if your library has Great Courses lectures; those are fabulous.

You could also look into MOOCs.

Language arts can easily be done for free. Just get books to read, write about, discuss.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 11

If you knew you were going to have the resources to do it, what history or social studies course would you really want him to take next fall?  It would be easier to suggest specific inexpensive options if we knew exactly what you wanted him to learn.

• Like 1

You can buy older editions of introductory college texts for under $10. Have him work through the text, supplement with documentaries and library books. See if your library has Great Courses lectures; those are fabulous.

Language arts can easily be done for free. Just get books to read, write about, discuss.

This :)

Used high school level texts from major publishers are also available very inexpensively on Amazon etc. 

What subjects are you looking for and what specifically do you need in those subjects? Do you have math nailed down? Which science will your child be studying? Are you planning to do American history? World history? Government? Have you started a foreign language? What are your goals for this child in terms of rigor, college readiness, etc? Are you looking for specifically Christian content?

Funda Funda has an American history video curriculum list that you could use, accessing videos from the library, NetFlix, or other places. You could also supplement with history books from the public library near you. There are great lists on this forum that can help you make up a plan for your year.

• Like 1

My oldest ds will be a 10th grader this year.  We have always used MFW, but this year it doesn't look like we'll have the funds for the next level (it's $442 new).  

Looks like I'm really looking for social studies (American history, economics, gov't, or geography) and language arts.  Ideas?  Thanks!!

Social studies is easy to do from library books.  If you want to focus on history, break the year into rough time periods or important events to give you a basic structure for your year, then have your student read books from or about that period or event.  Each book can be discussed, then a paper can be written giving the basics of the points covered by the book.  If that's a bit of a deep plunge, consider covering the basics of each topic by starting with a book written at a lower level.  

As for language arts, again the library is your friend.  Have your student read widely and deeply, either books of their own choosing, books that relate to your social studies topics, or books chosen from a list of typical high school literature. Spark notes can be of use here.

• Like 1

Social studies is easy to do from library books.  If you want to focus on history, break the year into rough time periods or important events to give you a basic structure for your year, then have your student read books from or about that period or event.  Each book can be discussed, then a paper can be written giving the basics of the points covered by the book.  If that's a bit of a deep plunge, consider covering the basics of each topic by starting with a book written at a lower level.  

Absolutely. The Well Trained Mind has great suggestions for high school history without a textbook (at least older editions did, I haven't seen newer ones). My very first suggestion would be to read that section and the one on English so you can plan. You will get lots of great ideas, but remember that you can pick and choose and tweak to your heart's content. You don't have to do it exactly as laid out in the book. 

Then of course read the whole book if you haven't done so! 

If you need assignment ideas, google is your friend. I search for both syllabi to get an overview of different courses, and for specific topic assignments. So, google stuff like: 

• 10th-grade English syllabus
  • 10-grade history syllabus honors 
  • schedule high school civics
  • Dante's Inferno assignment high school
  • Thomas Jefferson assignment high school 
  • free literary guide tale of two cities

And so on. 

Even not-so-great libraries tend to have a lot of history, government, language arts, and literature. If you have an actually good library, you're golden. 

Book Samaritan is indeed awesome. They helped us out after Hurricane Katrina. 

• Like 4

I really like this textbook for world history. You can purchase used copies very cheaply, and you could use it as the spine to continue the study of world history.

http://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-World-History-Jackson-Spielvogel/dp/0078607027?ie=UTF8&keywords=glencoe%20world%20history&qid=1464456295&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Shmoop has a lot of free literature guides with literary analysis, discussion questions, and essay prompts.  http://www.shmoop.com/

I used the British Lit Parallel Text that MFW's second year uses. It along with the teacher's guide was very good. Here is an older version on Amazon. If you really wanted to do that program, why not try to recreate as much of as it as you can for a more affordable price?

http://www.amazon.com/British-Literature-449-1798-Parallel-Perfection/dp/0789154714?ie=UTF8&keywords=british%20literature%20parallel&qid=1464457009&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Edited by mom31257

This is what we're doing for American History 1. Also check out ushistory.org it has  free text books for US History, American Government, and Ancient History.  Also Stanford's Reading Like a Historian has completely planned out primary source document based lessons that are excellent IMO.  I'll also be doing a study guide(with writing assignments) using American Passages, the Stanford lessons, TGC US History lectures, and various documentaries, I plan on posting it later (should be done July sometime).  

As for Language Arts I'm thinking of going with a used copy of Language of Literature and doing 1/2 this year with our US History (we're only doing through Reconstruction) and then adding in actual novels to round out the textbook.

• Like 4

Another resource at the high school level is the Crash Course History series (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBDA2E52FB1EF80C9) on YouTube. I believe there are study guides available online that correspond to it, or you could use the videos as a starting point and then look for more in-depth books and documentaries to add to the videos. I haven't seen all of them, but there is a little bit of language in some of the videos, so you may want to preview them if that would be an issue. Other than that, I was suprised at what a good overview of history they provided.

• Like 1

And if you'd like to try something different for science, there are tons of free resources for geology (yes, I'm still trying to recruit people to hop on the bandwagon next year, lol). I'll copy from an old text of mine below. There are also several iBooks that are $20 and below, but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet. 

Begin copy and paste: 

I'm only collecting links and resources so far, but I'm thinking of doing it in units. In addition to some of the basic info and identification, maybe: 

• field work
  • forensic geology
  • disasters (avalanches, mudslides, earthquakes, sinkholes, volcanos!)

We are just slogging through chemistry this year, so I want something high interest and fun for next year. 

A few links: 

NOVA http://www.pbs.org/w..._00.html#eart_9

NASA http://nasawavelengt...vel=High school

Forensic geology

http://web.mst.edu/~...e Histories.htm

Free curriculum http://www.globalsystemsscience.org/

Many wonderful ideas.  My mind is on over-load right now, so I will need to come back and dig deeper later on.  I'm also starting a part time job and hsing three other kids besides my high schooler, so I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.

I do have another question about hsing high school, but will go start a new thread.  Thank you!

What subjects did you want to cover?

How is your library? Is there a friends of the library group? We have gotten classic novels and lit books for under $1 each. We frequently volunteer at the sales and can buy a book or two in advance of the sale.

What level material are you looking for?

Do you have a local homeschool FB page or group? I would ask there if anyone had what you wanted available to borrow. I have often loaned out expensive curriculum/equipment and even given it away. Kahn Academy/YouTube are excellent resources as are NOAA and NASA. 

Nat'l Geographic (at library) could easily cover Geography, in conjunction with map blobbing/drawing.

• Like 2

If you're looking for free, discoveryk12.com is a wonderful resource.  I would, however, add your own math.  Also, homeschoolcollegeusa.com is a great place to get some ideas.

I used discoveryk12.  Our library has a free service where students submit their writing and it is corrected by tutors and returned.  This was a wonderful resource for the daily writing that was assigned.

Not sure what to do next.  I know that Easy Peasy has a high school level and I've looked at it, but I'm not sure it's for us.  I know he could do free public school on-line, but I've heard horrible things about it.  We have math taken care of and I can probably swing money for a used Apologia book, but I'm at a loss for history.  Last year he did Ancient history with MFW.  He will continue to take German on duolingo.

Over the years I've pulled together history and literature courses that I've been pretty content with.  The Well Trained Mind is a great place to start.  I have often created an workable syllabus by creating a document with a table for each week that has readings and homework listed.  (Each document is one subject.  My history and literature might be combined, but I don't try to have one master schedule of every subject.)

You can create tables in Word that have shading and look really great.

You may find that you can take the works used in the MFW World History year and your experience with MFW and come up with a year's worth of study that is pretty similar to what you would have gotten out of MFW.  You might even find that you like what you come up with better.  (I personally have many books I'd read before Silas Marner.)

It looks like a lot of the books in the World History year would be widely available at used bookstores, library sales, or free in Kindle versions.  You may be able to check out some of the others from your library.  If you could source most of the actual history and literature books from alternate sources, would it work to buy just the daily lesson plans?  That seems to cost about $100.

• Like 2

If you are struggling financially, you should write to Book Samaritan. :) I'm about to donate more books to their organization. They are awesome.

Also, many times I have gotten many textbooks off amazon for really cheap.

Book Samaritan is temporarily not accepting requests or donations... looks like they are moving.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Since you really liked the MFW (and have for a LONG time, iirc from your posts!), would you be able to afford the tm at least?  A lot of the rest you could find as ebooks or get through the library for free.  I have the Writers Inc I would send you.   But a LOT of them you could get through the library or overdrive or amazon for free.  I'm just assuming you're looking at the MFW 10th world history and lit.  Is that what you're wanting?  The tm is $99.50.  Maybe you could find just that used on ebay and then assemble the books?  Do you already have timeline figures?

• Like 1

You're right there...I do really like the curriculum and have been using it since 2006.  You have some good ideas there.  I did happen to find a used TM for $55, just waiting to hear back from the person selling it.  Then, I thought I would buy the books used when they're needed (probably do a three month buy).

Since you really liked the MFW (and have for a LONG time, iirc from your posts!), would you be able to afford the tm at least?  A lot of the rest you could find as ebooks or get through the library for free.  I have the Writers Inc I would send you.   But a LOT of them you could get through the library or overdrive or amazon for free.  I'm just assuming you're looking at the MFW 10th world history and lit.  Is that what you're wanting?  The tm is $99.50.  Maybe you could find just that used on ebay and then assemble the books?  Do you already have timeline figures?

• Like 1

TY, but he did Biology last year.  I think this year would be physics or chemistry.  Can't recall which one atm.

Shoot. I had the CD-ROM version of Apologia Chemistry for sale for like 6 months and just finally sold it last week. If you look for the full course CD of v 2.0, it is still available for $50 new. I sold mine for $30. It includes everything (except lab supplies). You might look around. The CD version was cheaper than the book, included tests and test answers, extra worksheets - everything. It is a bargain!

You're right there...I do really like the curriculum and have been using it since 2006.  You have some good ideas there.  I did happen to find a used TM for $55, just waiting to hear back from the person selling it.  Then, I thought I would buy the books used when they're needed (probably do a three month buy).

Well there's your answer!  Make a list in this thread of what you need and let people help you!  :)

• Like 1

I just picked up World History by Spielvogel for $3 at Goodwill's half price sale today. (And Spielvogel's World History Modern Times, and Larson alg 2, and....)

Most textbooks can be found dirt cheap on Amazon or Half Price Books if you look for older editions. If you're okay with secular science it's much less expensive than Apologia. I paid about $7 for the biology student text my 11th grader will use this year (Biology: Concepts and Connections by Campbell). There are enough answers in the back that we don't need an answer key, and there's an online auto-graded practice quiz we can use for tests. The Guide to Home Biology Experiments is a free download, but the lab supplies are definitely the most expensive part. If you need good titles look at the stickies or ask on the board.

American history - Someone already mentioned the Fundafunda plan. The Paul Johnson book is dirt cheap used. The lecture series can be picked up for $15 on Audible, or free if you haven't signed up for the free trial yet. The CTC books aren't terribly expensive used. The rest is probably at your library. Bang. And her kids took the APUSH after that course. It's good stuff.

Goverment - icivics.com (free) or Power Basics Goverment by Taggard is pretty inexpensive

Economics - I got nothing. We're not there yet. A handful of the Bluestocking Guide books perhaps.

Geography or world history - Check out Oak Meadow. (They're currently on sale, but I don't think it's going to last much longer.) The textbooks are pretty cheap on the used market and you just need the student guide from OM, or the TM if you need the answers. The guides are sometimes found cheaper on the used markets, the TMs rarely; I'd just buy them from OM. If you can only afford one of those you could get away with just the TM and a little more work for you. It has all the material in the student guide with the answers right under the questions. You could read the small introduction aloud, write out the chapter/pages on their planner, and either have them do the questions orally or write those into their planner too. Rubrics for grading the more open ended assignments are in the back.

Language arts/English - Think half literature half composition. Perhaps look around on Great Courses for one that interests your DS, get the lecture course for $15 on Audible and look for the books used. Most classics are available for free on Kindle, which you can read on any device with the Kindle app. My 11th grader is going to use A Day's Read this year. You could do something like Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition or Masterpieces of the Imaginative Mind and just pick and choose titles they cover based on interest and what he's already done. Or just pick the books he would have read with MFW and look online for guides to go with them. Again, older classics probably have free options.

For composition look at those little books recommended in TWTM. Stuff like Rulebook for Arguments, Elements of Style, or something like Writing With a Thesis (latter is not in TWTM). These are inexpensive and you can probably do a couple/few of them in a year.

There was a thread awhile back that linked assignments, quizzes, tests for the Spiev... history book. Anyone remember it? I'll try and find it.

• Like 1

For supplemental stuff that you may do orally anyway, you might be able to get away with just the teacher manual. For instance, Art of Poetry's teacher version has the answers after the questions, so it's very easy to use that way.

Also, consider the Kindle version in some cases. I find this helpful because I can put it on multiple devices so a kid and I can read and discuss together without having to buy two copies.

There was a US History syllabus that someone here designed and posted a few years ago which used books from the library and Netflix rentals :-). We used it, but I can't find it now. It was a hot item here for a while; I wonder of someone else has the link?

There was a US History syllabus that someone here designed and posted a few years ago which used books from the library and Netflix rentals :-). We used it, but I can't find it now. It was a hot item here for a while; I wonder of someone else has the link?

This sounds like the FundaFunda plan linked above.

Compass Classrooms has a pay-per-month plan for many of their classes, and it's very reasonable ($7/mo for one or $14/mo for a bundle of classes).  Their texts are often free downloads as well.  We're using Visual Latin (which I love) and will eventually use their history & economics as well.  

The one I used was just a US History plan a mom here had made up herself; though I suppose she may have created a company of website since then :-)

Edited to say that I just looked and the Funda Funda plan is different. I have not located the plan we used yet though.

Edited by Gr8lander

The one I used was just a US History plan a mom here had made up herself; though I suppose she may have created a company of website since then :-)

Edited to say that I just looked and the Funda Funda plan is different. I have not located the plan we used yet though.

Any chance you are thinking of the schedule created by Luckymama for her accelerated then-8th grader? I used it with my DS and we both loved it!

Here's a link:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/484179-us-history-using-the-american-odyssey-k12-and-primary-sources/