Menu

Kid friendly vegetarian meal for a crowd

Hilltopmom

Once a year, I'm in charge of a vegetarian meal for around 100 people.

Must be vegetarian. Must be easy to prepare, since I have to make a lot!

Have access to industrial kitchen.

In years past, I have rotated between tater tot casserole (minus the meat) & oven baked grilled cheese sandwiches with sides like pasta salad, veggies, & fruit salad.

I want to make something different this year.

Here's the thing- other families are in charge of the other meals for a week & the easy kid friendly stuff is all taken. I need something new:)

Other typical meals (so I can't make them- already taken by other families) are: pasta, pizza, baked mac n cheese, bean tacos/ cheese quesadillas , chili, veggie & cheese subs, breakfast for dinner, quiche, black bean burgers.

Ethnic meals have NOT gone over well with this group, so stir fries or Indian classics are not an option.

Also, it's in the summer, so hot chili or broccoli soup not so great. And no nuts.

Help me with a new meal plan! Thanks.

Edited by Hilltopmom

Yikes! All my 1st thoughts are taken lol!

Baked Potato Bar? steamed broccoli, cheese sauce, shredded cheese, salsa (different types) etc? You could even do "oven baked wedges" instead of or alongside regular baked potatoes.

I know someone did tacos/quesadillas, but cheese/bean enchiladas with corn cake (google copycat chi-chis corn cake recipe) and mexican rice? If you don't wan to roll that many enchiladas, you could do a layered enchilada casserole.

Would vege stuffed empanadas work, some cheese, some with veges??? add a salad and some fruit. (ETA: at my store here we have these ready to stuff dough squares in the freezer to make it easier. Or you could use phyllo dough and make it in trays and bake. Here is a recipe from my pinterest, but you could do some with spinach, some without, use mozzerella, etc. I make some with meat and vege filling. It is very flexible, but this shows you how to use the dough.)

Edited by Um_2_4
  • Like 1

That's a lot of restrictions.

A big salad bar sounds good.

How about a taco or taco salad bar? Or a fajita bar? Grilled veggies or beans. I know you said no ethnic foods, but Mexican or Tex-Mex is practically American... And when it's a bar then everyone is customizing.

• Like 2

Hmm.  When "pasta, pizza, baked mac n cheese, bean tacos/ cheese quesadillas , chili, veggie & cheese subs, breakfast for dinner, quiche, black bean burgers" are all off the table, and anything "ethnic" is as well... there's not so much left, lol.

My extended family has a munch of vegetarians -- in addition to all that, we also do baked potato fixings bar, and I don't think you've mentioned eggplant parmesan, veggie lasagna, or spinach pie/spanakopita.  

It's OK if dishes repeat, though.  Most kids I know would happily eat pasta and pizza 2-5 times a week, if permitted.

• Like 2

I love the baked potato bar idea, I wonder how long it takes to bake that many potatos?

Yeah, it's a lot of restrictions, I know. Nothing I can change about that though. Rules of the place we are at. (Awesome summer camp)

If I do salad, I like the idea of doing taco salad options, that's heartier than just salad. And have nacho chips. Lots of teen boys there.

It's a long week with a lot of meals to fill. Over the years, we've gotten in this rut of each family always claiming the same easy to make, kid pleasing meal.

Or, I guess I could add a veggie soup of some kind with the salad if it's not too hot out that week.

Edited by Hilltopmom

I'd skip salads and potatoes if you are trying to fill up teen boys. Enchiladas (or taco bar, though I'd think that would be much messier and more difficult to deal with) or lasagna would be my suggestions. Simple to make, hearty and nutritious, and easy for a crowd. And most importantly, filling.

• Like 1

I think doing a spanokopitta and baked potato bar would work well.  People can use the baked potatoes as side dishes or main dishes.

I also think a huge salad bar sounds fabulous!  Include nuts, cheese, chick peas, and avocados to add fat and protein for those who get hungry easily.

Although, if you've done grilled cheese sandwiches, and they've been a hit, I'd keep doing that because they can be very filling for hungry kids.

A white bean chili?

Red beans and rice?  Fruit, garden salad, tortilla chips for sides.

I make a very easy vegetarian meal that is some sauteed onions, diced tomatoes, spinach (fresh or frozen), and white beans, plus some red pepper and Italian seasoning, and my kids like it pretty well.  It goes well tossed with penne or similar pasta.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

Can you get some vegetarian hot dogs?  Easy but pricey.  

If you can do eggs, egg-salad sandwiches along with all your various sides

black bean tostadas

If a healthy stir-fry is no good, you can try an Asian dish that everyone loves, like sweet and sour tofu.  Once you've fried the tofu and covered it with sugar, it'll get eaten.  :-)

• Like 1

Some of my favorite veggie meals for a crowd are:

Ricotta cheese/spinach stuffed pasta shells.  (It seems tedious to stuff the pasta shells, I know, but it actually goes pretty quickly, especially if you have a hand or two to help.)

Bean burritos.

Baked potatoes with toppings.

Black garlic-flavored beans over rice topped with:  chopped tomatoes, grated cheese, chopped onions, cilantro.  Corn bread on the side.

Edited by J-rap

Kid friendly is a very vague requirement though. There is actually probably zero point in worrying too much about this because there is no official definition of kid friendly.  Some of the suggestions here are based on people's personal preferences and what tends to be served in their family.  Some of the stuff my kids would not go for at all and some I have never served so they might not even know what it is.  Yet some stuff they'd love.  So I'm convinced there really is no such thing as kid friendly.

• Like 2

I love the baked potato bar idea, I wonder how long it takes to bake that many potatos?

Yeah, it's a lot of restrictions, I know. Nothing I can change about that though. Rules of the place we are at. (Awesome summer camp)

If I do salad, I like the idea of doing taco salad options, that's heartier than just salad. And have nacho chips. Lots of teen boys there.

It's a long week with a lot of meals to fill. Over the years, we've gotten in this rut of each family always claiming the same easy to make, kid pleasing meal.

Or, I guess I could add a veggie soup of some kind with the salad if it's not too hot out that week.

Gordon's Food Service or other restaurant supply place sell them washed, wrapped and ready to bake. That is a huge time saver.

What about bruschetta?  I serve it to kiddie-guests and it's always well received. It's familiar enough (red tomato sauce, bread) to not be scary in both taste and appearance. It's easy to make for a crowd, and serves easily (like a soup) but isn't hot hot hot.  So some toasted or grilled bread, bruschetta atop it, and a fat green salad on the side (beefed up with avocado, sunflower seeds, eggs, cheese, raw veggies, etc.)

We eat a lot of rice and beans, but it's hit-or-miss with guests.  But if your crowd is used to beans, that's an easy one. Serve them up separately and let them choose between black beans, red beans, kidney beans ... with white or brown rice.

What about a "tapas" or "dim sum" type bar, but with standard foods?  You could have some raw veggies with dressings, tzatziki, and hummus; chips with salsa, guac, bean dips; finger sandwiches (tuna; grilled cheese; cucumber/tomato/mozz; etc.); salad fixings; pretzels, crackers and cubed/stick cheese; flavored popcorn; dehydrated fruits/veggies; veggie wraps; etc. 

• Like 1