Menu

How many years will you homeschool? And what does your homeschool's future look like?

How many years will you homeschool? What do you see in your homeschool's future?  

1. 1. How many years will you homeschool? What do you see in your homeschool's future?

• 1-3 years
    • 4-6
    • 7-9
    • 10-12
    • 13-15
    • 16-18
    • 19-21
    • 22-24
    • 25+
    • other- because there is always an other :0)

If you continue as planned, how many years will you homeschool? Are you only on this road for a year, do you still have future babies on your mind? What do you hope for in your future?

We plan to homeschool ds14 and dd9 through highschool. They can choose to go back to private school (we aren't in a good ps district) but they choose to homeschool.

We started in 2004 and will finish in 2017. That will be 13 years for us.

Dfd will go to private unless she too chooses a different path. Then we will continue for 8 more years and finish in 2025! 21 years of homeschooling!

Wow, it is amzing to think of the changes we will see. The curriculums that are new now, could be old tried and trues, like Abeka and Saxon. We will be able to say....I remember when that first came out.

What changes would you like to see, what changes do you dread? What will stop you, what will push you forward? What would change it all for you? What is the future of homeschooling?

I voted in the 'other' section as I really don't know how things will go along yet... ideally, I want to continue hs'ing dd11 through grade twelve, as well as bring ds9 home out of the ps system within the next year and do the same with him....we also want to adopt in the future and I'd like to homeschool those children as well. Can't really put a number of years on anything right now. :)

We decide year-by-year, and the end of this year may bring major changes. We may finish the disses and get jobs and move; we may get a one-year extension on our fellowships and not have to move; we may . . . who knows??

So we make our homeschool decisions as if we're going to homeschool through high school (picking curricula, setting the pace, that sort of thing), but we keep the possibility of traditional school open at any stage of the game.

19-21 was my vote, but I don't know if we'll have another child or not . . . we're in the process of becoming foster parents w/ the option to adopt . . . so, it could be longer. Or, it could be shorter as we take each child's needs individually. If we feel it is best for our now 3 y/o to be put into a school, we'll do that. But, what I'm thinking is 19-21 years! :)

We started when DS was in 1st grade and I plan to go all the way thru to graduation. DD is 3 years behind him, so I guess that would put us around 15-16 years total?

We also plan to adopt from the foster care program within the next few years. We will request the children to be younger than ours so who knows how long we will hs in the end :) I love it though!

thinking approx. 25+ to get them all through highschool.

What am I looking forward to?

Proof that I didn't completely screw it up! College degrees for them, decent jobs, loving families, strong faith, adult children I can enjoy some heavy conversation with over a cup of coffee while dandying a grandbaby on my knee.

What do I dread?

All the failures I'm sure to have. Not of the kids - MOM. Because you know if I don't find just the right chemistry program the world will have missed the next scientific genius. half-joking. Just saying I KNOW I'm going to have some parenting regrets because it's part of the package. Homeschooling just add to the pressure, kwim?

I dread having just one lonely kid at home. Dh insists that I'll just have to homeschool some grandchildren as that point. I can't imagine a house with only 1 or 2 kids in it. Kids, not even babies. I look forward to seeing the people they become, but I will so miss these days. In just 4 years one of our chicks will be preparing to leave the nest to some degree. After that, I imagine holidays will be the only times our entire big family is together in one house. And as they grow their own families - even that might be hard to see happen. I'm really going to be a soppy mess when that day comes.

With just the one kid, I could say 10 years including preK if he goes to PS high school... or 12 years not including preK or K if he doesn't.... or something in there if he graduates early... so that will have to do. ;)

When he's old enough for high school it's really his choice here, but I'm prepared to homeschool straight to college. I'm not terribly keen on the idea of sending him to middle school in any case, but I could be convinced if he really really wanted it and if there were a good situation available... So it could be shorter but it's unlikely.

I voted 16-18, which is how long I have left if I homeschool till Romy graduates. But we started over 5 years ago. In all it will be 22 years I guess.

We will definitely homeschool through the end of middle school, and I'd like to continue to hs through high school using the CC some at that point. However, I am open to the idea of PS for high school, if my children have particular interests that can be served best there - a team sport, etc.

We homeschool TWTM style, and though we've varied somewhat over the years, we have come back to closely following it. I imagine we will continue that way from here on out. I've sampled the green grass on the other side of the fence, and I'm its color fades a bit once you get over there. :D

Well, Easton is 2 years old and everything is going so well, it fits our life and it's best for the guys. So, we'll be graduating the big boys in about 2014 and 2016 and then Easton in about 2025. That gives us about 16 more years to go. Oh boy, considering the 12 yr old's attitude today that makes me want to take a nap too!

I dread having just one lonely kid at home. Dh insists that I'll just have to homeschool some grandchildren as that point. I can't imagine a house with only 1 or 2 kids in it. Kids, not even babies. I look forward to seeing the people they become, but I will so miss these days. In just 4 years one of our chicks will be preparing to leave the nest to some degree. After that, I imagine holidays will be the only times our entire big family is together in one house. And as they grow their own families - even that might be hard to see happen. I'm really going to be a soppy mess when that day comes.

You know, as I was reading this thread I was thinking about something I heard once. A speaker, trying to help husbands understand what the emptying nest/empty nest did to their wives emotionally, made the point: the extent to which that Mom has invested herself in her children will determine the size of the hole in her heart as they leave.

Just think what this means for homeschooling moms...

It will be very hard to leave this stage of life - no matter what wonderful things I might be looking forward to at that time.

I think I voted wrong. I counted off by one.

I started in 2000 with my twins and my youngest, I believe, will "graduate" in 2023, not 2024. So, that would be 23 years, not 24 years.

It seems like such a looooong way away, huh? Of course, the twins will graduate in 2012 and that seemed like a very long time away not long ago.

You know, as I was reading this thread I was thinking about something I heard once. A speaker, trying to help husbands understand what the emptying nest/empty nest did to their wives emotionally, made the point: the extent to which that Mom has invested herself in her children will determine the size of the hole in her heart as they leave.

Just think what this means for homeschooling moms...

It will be very hard to leave this stage of life - no matter what wonderful things I might be looking forward to at that time.

I am so dreading that day when I graduate my last. :(

I voted 19-21. This is my fifth year and my youngest is 4yo. Looks like it will be a good 19 years of homeschooling if the Lord wills it like we do. ;)

I haven't had it on my mind to expect the girls to go to college. I'm educating them with a top university in mind so they have what they need if they do want to go. However, recently with how things have been going in the courts, I'm hoping the girls will all go to college and get a teaching certificate so that if they decide to homeschool and the laws get changed by then, they can still do it.

I checked other because there are so many variables that I can't say I have a plan at this point.

I had planned on homeschooling through high school. But my 14 yo is a very social creature and the longer she was home, the more she was withering on the vine. She is attending a public charter high school this year and she's doing wonderfully.

My 12 yo has mild APD and dyslexia and she's extremely introverted. She'd like to go back to school for high school, but I have concerns about her ability to cope and keep up. We haven't made a decision yet, but she might go back to school next year for 8th grade to give her a transition year before high school. We are also going to have some psychoeducational testing done so that we'll have more documentation if we find that she needs accomodations. Who knows, she'll probably do great and all my worries will be for nothing.

My 7 yo has severe APD (diagnosed) and dyslexia (not yet diagnosed). Based on all I've heard about services for dyslexic students in my county, I won't send her to school until she is reading at or above grade level. She's also very social. She does very well with structure, so the classroom setting would be advantageous in that regard. She'd like to go to school, but I don't anticipate sending her until at least 4th grade and probably later than that.

If the younger girls go to school, they'll go to the same charter school as dd14. Thank goodness siblings get preference, so they have a very good chance of being accepted if we apply.

Seesh, I came up with a minimum of 27 years. That might not be right though as my youngest has special needs and therefore there may be adjustments to his graduation year. So I guess it could be more than 27 years.

That's a long time.

Edited by Kelli in TN
has, not is