Menu

I'm Having a Mascara Crisis!

earthyfamily

My favourite mascara has been discontinued, Maybelline One-By-One Waterproof. I have stick straight lashes that lose curl easily. I always have to use an eyelash curler. I tried Benefit's Roller Lash, because so many people love it and it's supposed to help with curl, but I hated it. It didn't curl at all and was sticky and clumpy. My typical daily makeup look is done in a 50's style, if that helps. Also I'm looking for both waterproof and washable formulas. Does anyone have any suggestions? :(

I love Benefit's "They're Real" but it's so pricey and it doesn't seem to have much in the tube for the price.

I recently tried L'Oreals Voluminous after seeing it recommended by many here. It's really good for drugstore mascara. I like it almost as much as the Benefit, and it's literally $20 cheaper. It comes in both waterproof and washable.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 6

Have your eyelashes dyed?

Super allergic to pretty much all dyes.

What's 50's style?

I just bought mascara for the first time in years and am happy with how it goes on and how it looks. It was from a pharmaca store and the brand is ZuZu. http://www.pharmaca.com/zuzu-luxe-mascara

f892d800060cd27eff8868f98d6c62d8.jpgSomething like this is my daily makeup look. I'll take a look at the ZuZu.

• Like 1

I use Younique 3D. It keeps the curl in my "visor" lashes and I can use the fibers to give them length and volume. It's water resistant so it comes off with warm water and your face cleanser.

Eta: most drugstore mascaras irritated my eyes. This one doesn't. I used to use Mary Kay because theirs didn't irritate but it didn't stay on as well or lengthen.

Edited by MSNative
  • Like 1

I love Benefit's "They're Real" but it's so pricey and it doesn't seem to have much in the tube for the price.

I recently tried L'Oreals Voluminous after seeing it recommended by many here. It's really good for drugstore mascara. I like it almost as much as the Benefit, and it's literally $20 cheaper. It comes in both waterproof and washable.

I was considering L'Oreals Voluminous. I've heard good things about that one.

• Like 1

Waterproof helps hold curl. I always use a curler, nothing will really replace it. I currently like Too Faced Better Than Sex for a bold look.

I didn't know that. I've only ever used waterproof but I was hoping for something to use that would come off a little easier at night. Ok, so waterproof it is. And wow...that brush really confuses me. Heh.

The best mascara I ever used was Diorshow. It was totally worth the price. I don't live near a Sephora, so it's long gone. I've heard Loreal Voluminous is a dupe.  I got the Dior Iconic. It was supposed to be self curling. I still used a lash curler before. I feel like it did hold the curl longer.

I would replace it with Dior if I came upon it again...but not enough to order it online and pay for shipping, lol.

I also once had my eye makeup done at Mac and their mascara was really nice. I sort of regret not buying it. I did buy the eye shadows though.

• Like 2

I stopped wearing mascara for years because I couldn't find one that worked.  Just last winter I had to buy something from a Mary Kay lady of my acquaintance.  I bought mascara and a lash primer, and imagine my surprise when they worked really well.

One of my eyes has very straight lashes that would not hold a curl; the other curls nicely.  Weird!  Anyway, I curl them and put the primer on, then the mascara, and it works!  It is great stuff.  I always thought Mary Kay was overpriced and not very good but I find at least the mascara and lash primer are great. 

The best mascara I ever used was Diorshow. It was totally worth the price. I don't live near a Sephora, so it's long gone. I've heard Loreal Voluminous is a dupe. I got the Dior Iconic. It was supposed to be self curling. I still used a lash curler before. I feel like it did hold the curl longer.

I would replace it with Dior if I came upon it again...but not enough to order it online and pay for shipping, lol.

I also once had my eye makeup done at Mac and their mascara was really nice. I sort of regret not buying it. I did buy the eye shadows though.

Second Diorshow. I'm trying to move to more natural stuff and I ordered a tarte one supposedly with Amazonian clay, which probably isn't a real thing, but I have high hopes :)

I have Voluminous too and like it. I also hafe Maybelline's Full and Soft and Cover Girl's Lash Blast Volume - all waterproof. I wear contacts so being really waterproof and non-flaking is a must. I like all these but they all give a different look. The Full & Soft is more natural, the Voluminous is more of a 'big' look. I think the Cover Girl is the best all around in between look.

• Like 1

I have Voluminous too and like it. I also hafe Maybelline's Full and Soft and Cover Girl's Lash Blast Volume - all waterproof. I wear contacts so being really waterproof and non-flaking is a must. I like all these but they all give a different look. The Full & Soft is more natural, the Voluminous is more of a 'big' look. I think the Cover Girl is the best all around in between look.

I also have Full and Soft, that is my 'everyday' mascara...not that I wear it everyday, lol. But once my Diorshow ran out I went back to Full and Soft. It's a very different look.  But, I am someone who would NEVER consider a 'big' mascara. I detest an obvious makeup look on myself, it doesn't suit. I bought Dior on a whim..ok, expensive whim, lol...and was surprised at how good it looked.

But, yes, Full and Soft is very good and my go to. It also feels nicer on my lashes.

I think mascaras work differently on each person's lashes. I consider Voluminous to be a "dry" mascara. For me, it completely separates and coats each lash and never, ever clumps. It makes my lashes look very feathery and natural.

I've used They're Real and it just made my lashes look like a clumpy mess. The only way it works for me is as a top coat over Voluminous.

Benefit "They're Real" mascara is pretty fantastic.  It gives my lashes a bigger bolder than life look. I'm too lazy to wear false eyelashes, but I think this is the next best thing.   I think it would look really nice with the photo you posted.  I also wear liquid eyeliner with "wings," and this really accentuates an exaggerated eye. It is a little pricey ($24), but I stock up at Ulta when they have their 20% off all brand coupons.  The "They're Real" eyeliner is good too, but it takes a lot of practice, because the consistency and applicator are very different from any other liquid liner I have ever worn . . . and I have worn a lot of make-up, so that's saying something. 

• Like 1

My favorite mascara is L'Oreal Beauty Tubes mascara. You can add major length with this stuff, it doesn't smudge or flake and washes off with just a wet washcloth. I have tried lots of high end mascaras and this $10 one is my all time favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think mascaras work differently on each person's lashes. I consider Voluminous to be a "dry" mascara. For me, it completely separates and coats each lash and never, ever clumps. It makes my lashes look very feathery and natural.

I've used They're Real and it just made my lashes look like a clumpy mess. The only way it works for me is as a top coat over Voluminous.

LOL, we were posting at the same time.  I guess we've had pretty different experiences with They're Real. 

Maybe the OP can get a sample from before plunging in.  I always ask for samples.  They want to hook you, so they give them pretty freely.  That's how I got hooked.  I got a Smashbox, Urban Decay, Too Faced, and Benefit sample and compared them all.  I love the Benefit mascara.  I'm never going back. 

I didn't know that. I've only ever used waterproof but I was hoping for something to use that would come off a little easier at night. Ok, so waterproof it is. And wow...that brush really confuses me. Heh.

For removal I love Garnier Lotion Cleanser. Put in on before wetting your face, wipe off with a wet cotton ball then rinse. Gets it all off easily with no pulling. Much better than the oil based ones I used before.

I'd get an eyelash curler and use something like Physicians' Formula Organic Wear Natural Origin Bigger! Better! mascara (white case) or Organic Wear Jumbo Lash mascara (green case). I have good luck with those, especially the latter for evenings.

For a more natural look, just longer eyelashes, I like Honeybee Gardens' Truly Natural mascara. I'd stick to those aforementioned mascaras for a fifties' look.

Edited by sagira

Yay! I have so many options here to try out. :D Thanks ladies!! I wish there was a way to get some samples of these products. I hate to spend money on things I end up hating.

The Physicians Formula mascaras are most likely available at your local drugstore and are only about $10 or less if you have a coupon. Good luck and let us know which one you like! 

Another option is to search for "mascara samples" and see if anything satisfactory turns up. I recently overhauled my whole stash of makeup to nontoxic products. 

I have 2 new favorites.  One is Naturally Glossy by Clinique.  I like their bottom lash mascara too.

The other is Peter Thomas Roth's Lashes to Die For.

You can go into Sephora or Ulta and they will let you sample different mascaras.  The consultants are also wonderful about narrowing down your choices based on what you want the product to do and what you don't want. 

Dd likes It TightLine mascara

Try Kat Von D.

Better than Sex gets good reviews too.

Also pls consider the animal testing policies of your companies. Loreal (which owns many of the common brands, including Maybelline and The Body Shop) doesn't test in North America or Europe but tests in China because they chose to enter the Chinese market. I don't like buying their products because of that ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I use Tarte Lights Camera Lashes too, until Beautycounter comes out with mascara later this month.  I try to buy the safest stuff (chemical wise) so I switched from Dior Show.  I did use the yellow tube Maybelline when I lost my mascara on vacation and it was good.

I wear a similar make up look to you, heavy eyeliner, light shadow, lots of lashes but I wear lighter lips. :)

Yay! I have so many options here to try out. :D Thanks ladies!! I wish there was a way to get some samples of these products. I hate to spend money on things I end up hating.

Start with the ones that have good test/return policies. I think you can test before you buy at most department stores. Younique is full money back refund. I've heard some people say they have successfully returned at drugstores.
  • Like 1

Start with the ones that have good test/return policies. I think you can test before you buy at most department stores. Younique is full money back refund. I've heard some people say they have successfully returned at drugstores.

That's a good idea. Do you have an Ulta? They have a 60 day no-questions-asked return policy. I've returned stuff almost empty before. Keep the receipt and package, no problem. I spend so much freaking money there, I don't feel guilty if I live with something for a couple of months and then decide it's just not me.

• Like 2

I think deciding what type of wand works for your lashes is a great place to start. Definitely look for a mascara that has a similar wand shape to the mascara you have been using.  My favorite mascara is Mary Kay's Ultimate Mascara because it works wonders on my short, straight lashes. The drugstore version that works best for me has the same type of wand and it is Maybelline's The Falsies. Several people on YouTube have raved about Covergirl Supersizer Mascara, but it did nothing for my straight lashes and I think it is because the wand was totally different.

• Like 2

That's a good idea. Do you have an Ulta? They have a 60 day no-questions-asked return policy. I've returned stuff almost empty before. Keep the receipt and package, no problem. I spend so much freaking money there, I don't feel guilty if I live with something for a couple of months and then decide it's just not me.

I love ulta too. I've also bought from drugstore.com's beauty.com part if you don't have an ulta near you or just don't feel like driving. Lol!

Just don't buy from amazon.com random sellers or eBay. Yikes. Nasty knockoffs. I thought I just got a bad one but it turns out that it is a huge racket. People sell these knockoffs that have turpentine, lead and other nasties in them in packaging that looks like the original. You'll be shocked, shocked, to know that these lovely people aren't big on returning your money either.

I love ulta too. I've also bought from drugstore.com's beauty.com part if you don't have an ulta near you or just don't feel like driving. Lol!

Just don't buy from amazon.com random sellers or eBay. Yikes. Nasty knockoffs. I thought I just got a bad one but it turns out that it is a huge racket. People sell these knockoffs that have turpentine, lead and other nasties in them in packaging that looks like the original. You'll be shocked, shocked, to know that these lovely people aren't big on returning your money either.

I think deciding what type of wand works for your lashes is a great place to start. Definitely look for a mascara that has a similar wand shape to the mascara you have been using. My favorite mascara is Mary Kay's Ultimate Mascara because it works wonders on my short, straight lashes. The drugstore version that works best for me has the same type of wand and it is Maybelline's The Falsies. Several people on YouTube have raved about Covergirl Supersizer Mascara, but it did nothing for my straight lashes and I think it is because the wand was totally different.

This is such good advice!! Only in the past few years have I realized what a huge difference the wand shape makes.

The best mascara I ever used was Diorshow. It was totally worth the price. I don't live near a Sephora, so it's long gone. I've heard Loreal Voluminous is a dupe.  I got the Dior Iconic. It was supposed to be self curling. I still used a lash curler before. I feel like it did hold the curl longer.

Agree... I love Diorshow but only really the waterproof... I don't know what it is but the regular gives me raccoon eyes.

Sephora used to have a mascara sampler(like the perfume samplers) -- haven't seen it in a while but if you live near a sephora it might be worth asking. 

• Like 1

Agree... I love Diorshow but only really the waterproof... I don't know what it is but the regular gives me raccoon eyes.

Sephora used to have a mascara sampler(like the perfume samplers) -- haven't seen it in a while but if you live near a sephora it might be worth asking. 

I think that's a Christmas seasonal thing...  totally worth it because it comes with a gift card for a free full sized tube.

• Like 1

I tried the Covergirl Volume Lashblast Waterproof, and had a lot of transference issues. It left me with darkness under my eyes. :( I know that I hate curved mascara brushes...I always manage to poke myself in the eye. I didn't know that about the amazon.com random sellers thing though...super creepy.

This may sound a little weird but the mascara they sell at the dollar stores works great!! I have stick straight lashes and it works amazing and they have waterproof mascara as well. Also when you buy an eyelash curler make sure to buy one with a spring on it. Hope this helps