Menu

Favorite meals for new Moms

Guest2

Help. I have no idea what types of dinners to make for new moms or people that need assistance with meals. I have the time( no little ones at home), but my family likes foods that are too spicy for most.

If anyone brought you a meal as a new mom or if you werent feeling well, what was your favorite?

Edited by Silver Brook

My mom made us pan after pan of pastitsio for the freezer. She makes hers with a bechemel sauce, and I can't replicate it. That was DH's and eldest DS's favorite.

Salads are nice, fruit trays. I tend to like simple foods when not feeling well, though I always like spicy. Soups? Oh, and Mac and Cheese is a comfort food here.

ETA: Our neighbors used to take our crockpot and prep it, then bring it back and turn it on for us. They made an amazing lentil stew.

I was bedridden for a bit more than a year, and seriously ill for longer than that, so we had a lot of help. I'm forever grateful.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

If I were giving food to a new mom, it would be something easy to make in small portions (not in a 9x13 casserole dish) and without standard reflux/elimination diet ingredients (no dairy, tomatoes, onions). Not that everyone will have to cut those out, but oh how stressful it is to have a fridge full of food that you suddenly can't eat.

Sandwich fixings, muffins, and burrito bowl options (rice/beans/meat/veggies) would be my pick. And midnight feeding snack food - crackers, Chex mix, trail mix, pre-cut veggies and fruit.

DH just had surgery and cannot bend or lift anything bigger than his own plate. I'd keep that in mind with anything that is in a heavy dish or needs oven heating if the person cannot bend or lift.

• Like 2

Chicken spaghetti casserole is a favorite -- no tomatoes, and it's easy to reheat what you need. Pioneer Woman and others have recipes. I've made it with a rotisserie chicken, added some mild green chilis, etc. etc. Lots of variations.

A friend brought it when my youngest was born, and we've been eating it every since.

I add a salad and brownies or cookies.

• Like 1

The most recent dinner I took to a friend who had a baby a few weeks ago was enchilada casserole (with green enchilada sauce so it's not spicy) with a container of refried beans dressed up with milk, lime juice, cheese and scallions, and a salad with add ins like tortilla strips, black olives, shredded cheese, guacamole, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and chipotle ranch dressing.

Other hits have been:

-BBQ meatballs with rice, steamed veggies and a friut salad. My favorite is the honey lime fruit toss on the Dole website.

-Pioneer Woman's chicken salad in a container with a bag of slider rolls from the grocery store bakery and a bag of kettle chips.

-homemade chicken noodle soup with an artisan loaf and a salad.

-chicken pot pie filling "soup" sent with a bag of bread bowls from the grocery store bakery and a salad.

-mild chili and cornbread

-spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, Rich & Charlie's salad

Is food a love language? I think it should be if its not. Anytime a friend or someone in our congregation is seriously ill or just had a baby, my first thought is "ooh, what can I make them?" I'm a total lame-o about most things but this is one area I love. :D

• Like 3

I really enjoyed when someone included fresh cut veggies, a fruit salad, and muffins with a dinner meal.  It's great to have that dinner meal, but as a new mom having something that I could grab and snack on throughout the day (especially something fairly healthy) with no prep was beyond awesome, at least for me.  :)

Here are a few of my most enjoyable delivered dinners:

Chili with fixings

Chicken Pot Pie

Breakfast Casserole

Soup with Salad and Delicious Bread

Baked Pasta, especially Lasagna

Chicken Parmesan 

Tacos 

Enchiladas

Stuffed Peppers

• Like 2

The second reason I stopped having children was because of all the d*mned baked ziti.  We got 5 of them out of 7 meals with last ds.

Of course, it's a matter of taste.  I love giving rotisserie chicken with lots of sides and salad.  Other people may think that's lame!  lol

• Like 6

The second reason I stopped having children was because of all the d*mned baked ziti. We got 5 of them out of 7 meals with last ds.

Of course, it's a matter of taste. I love giving rotisserie chicken with lots of sides and salad. Other people may think that's lame! lol

With our third kid we got a ton of baked ziti too.

My favorite meal was turkey meat loaves that were muffin sized. I think the recipe came from Cooking Light, I still make it.

I always appreciated people who brought sides, especially if it was a vegetable other than salad.

Make a quick phone call or send a text a couple days ahead of time to find out if the family has any food restrictions, especially if the mom is nursing. Also, make sure they haven't gotten tacos or spaghetti already that week. This really is a blessing and I really appreciated all the families who brought us food after having my babies.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 2

A gigantic salad with some grilled chicken to add to it. No one ever brings salad. It is always a lot of heavy pasta dishes, which are great but a nice salad would really make it well-rounded or easy to just have a lite thing. Breakfast casserole are nice too

• Like 2

I sometimes take:

Pulled pork or chicken, with bbq sauce on the side, coleslaw, mac and cheese, oatmeal/raisin/nut cookies, and fruit. 

A mild chicken curry with veggies in it (spinach and green beans can disappear into the sauce so people who don't care for them won't be bothered), rice, naan, fruit

"Salsa chicken" - I've forgotten the real  name and the amounts of ingredients but it's boneless chicken, commercial salsa, black beans, and corn in the crockpot.  During the last 1/2 hour or so of cooking, add some cut-up, softened cream cheese.  Round off the meal with a bag of tortilla chips and some salad.

Pork tenderloin roasted with potatoes and other root veggies. 

Sausage baked with red onions, red peppers, and potatoes.

Obviously those won't be appropriate for everyone because of allergies, tastes, etc. 

People brought food when my mom died, and we had way too much baked pasta.  I get why people do it.  It's nice when there is a meal coordinator to help ensure variety. Our church uses takethemameal.com.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

Chx pot pie, shepherd's pie, a roast (beef or pork) with veggies, roast chx with veggies, soup, quiche, meatloaf, grilled meat and veggies, beef stew, pork chops and macaroni and cheese are things I often take and enjoyed when others brought them to me.

When I had newborns, the foods that gave my babies gas were broccoli or too many raw veggies of any kind.  Anything really acidic like strong vinaigrette dressing or even a strong tomato sauce gave them diaper rash. 

• Like 1

My go-to recipe for delivering meals is usually chicken & rice with Teryaki sauce (lightly) and bean bundles (2 or 3 green beans wrapped up in a strip of bacon, then pan fried). I do usually include fresh fruit. If I know of any preference and can accommodate them, I will.

• Like 1

I like roast beef w/ veggies + salad or roast chicken + w/ veggies and a salad. I only remember being disappointed in one meal- only b/c it wasn't really a meal, chips and a fruit/veggie tray-no fat, little protein- I could eat the whole thing and never feel full. I was starving and exhausted and didn't think I had to cook but I did. I absolutely loved the fresh stuff but a rotisserie chicken with that would have been great. Ironically it was a close friend that brought it who knew that I'm a full on meat eater.

you ppl are so so nice...never had anyone do this for me

It seems to be very specific to certain areas and circles.

We didn't get any meals when my oldest was born.

We moved, and we actually got overwhelmed when the next one was born!

• Like 1

I am trying to like all of your posts, but for some reason, I can't.  I do like them, and appreciate that you took the time to post the ideas!!!  Thank you all so much, and keep them coming.  I think I will make a little minicookbook  with meal ideas, so I can just grab and cook a few when needed.. The area of the U.S. I grew up in didn't do this.  I think that is why I am drawing a blank! 

I have a three yo and a 16 mo old, and I'm expecting my third in May - I'm right in the middle of the "get and take" mommy meals days :-)

I almost always take "all in one chicken", which is basically your favorite chicken pieces layered on top of carrot chunks (baby carrot size), red new potatoes (whole or halved if large) and pearled onions (frozen is fine).  Top it off with 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 white wine until the contents of your pot are about 3/4 submerged, with about 1/2 c of chopped parsley mixed in and bake at 500 degrees for 45 min.  Baste occasionally if necessary.  After 45 min, throw in one head of broccoli chopped in large pieces, and finish cooking for 15 min.  The result is lightly flavored, delicious, and it's easy to separate all the components for nursing or picky eating reasons.

I also always throw in at least one or more of the following:

- homemade granola with a large container of yogurt and fresh fruit

- homemade muffins (more whole grain than sugar)

- some sort of energy bites or "boobie bites" for energy/lactation support

- 1-3 types of hummus and cut up vegetables

- homemade chili (Moosewood vegetarian is my favorite) packaged in individual servings for the freezer

Other things we have received that have been lovely:

- trays with all the fixings for sandwiches

- make your own burrito bowl fixings (rice, beans, sautéed veggies, and a meat)

- large, plain salad with a variety of toppings + a dressing on the side

- pasta with two different types of sauce (tomato and pesto) and a protein on the side

• Like 1

I usually take a chicken pot pie and fruit salad and a bar of cheese. 

Last time, I didn't have time to do the crust, so I went with a ham/pea/noodle casserole. Not ideal in my mind, but it is easy.

I often send calzones too - each individually packaged and frozen and all in a gallon size freezer bag. I'll add a jar of pizza sauce. You can take as many out at a time as you want to reheat. 

If I'm planning ahead, we'll take healthy mini-muffins too - usually morning glory. 

I've taken meals to GF folks, but we aren't GF, so I do an easy freezer crock-pot meal where I can just place ingredients from new packages in a freezer baggies and send along a commercial bag of frozen veggies. (Chicken breast, applesauce, bar-b-que sauce) 

• Like 1

Not what you are asking but here is an idea too.

After my 2nd child was born my friend (who had a 6month old) didn't bring me a prepared meal.  Instead she went to the grocery and bought me the ingredients for several easy to cook meals and bagged salad and dressing (and some extra treats like cookies and chips cause she loves me and knew I love chips :laugh: ). 

When she dropped off the food she also wrote down the recipes for the simple meals that went with the ingredients she bought.  Those recipes are still some of our favorite meals today.

The foods she bought yes went with the recipes she gave me but also were commonly used foods.  So if I didn't want to fix the recipes she gave me then the food could easily be used for something else. 

• Like 2

I am trying to like all of your posts, but for some reason, I can't. I do like them, and appreciate that you took the time to post the ideas!!! Thank you all so much, and keep them coming. I think I will make a little minicookbook with meal ideas, so I can just grab and cook a few when needed.. The area of the U.S. I grew up in didn't do this. I think that is why I am drawing a blank!

Make sure to send the food in disposable dishes or a dish you don't want back and make sure the mom knows. The last thing she needs to worry about is who to return which dish too. I like to use the disposable aluminum pans, I buy a few extra to have on hand when they are on sale so it's one less thing to think about when preparing a meal.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 2

you ppl are so so nice...never had anyone do this for me

Me, neither.

Obviously a lot depends on taste and dietary needs.  But my dream/magical/fairy fridge and freezer would get loaded with one-dish meals like the standard ziti/lasagna, sausage, peppers, and potatoes, chicken and rice, meatloaf and mash, pot pies, meatballs and whatever...

When I'm exhausted and ravenous, I become very meat and potatoes, but my family goes through a ton of fresh produce, so that would be a very welcome gift, too.

The last time I sent food, I knew the family had been leaning on a lot of fast food, so I tried to keep things kid-friendly so they didn't have a huge shift.  Mac and cheese, chicken tenders, etc., in hopes that they didn't go on toddler hunger strikes for want of the golden arches.

• Like 2

I've only had a couple of people bring me meals in my life (All my friends are wonderful, but apparently total meal-slackers).  One made me a huge batch of chicken soup when I was very sick with a sinus infection and pregnant.  It was great because I could just heat it up a bowl at a time.  She also included an apple-fennel salad.  So good.  

The other time a friend brought me sweet and sour chicken.  It was pre-made, then cold, so I just needed to heat it and make a pot of rice (like leftovers, basically).  That really hit the spot!

I would just counsel something other than pasta, because it seems a lot of people make pasta dishes.  

• Like 1

I do this constantly. What I typically do is text the new mom a couple days ahead of time and give 3 choices and let her pick. That way we don't duplicate. My 3 favorites have usually been:

Oven roasted chicken fajitas (from budget bytes). I also bring tortillas, chips, salsa, cheese, rice, refried beans (if there are tiny ones in the family is usually add a couple cheese quesdillas)

Lasagna (I do an 8x8 pan unless it's a large family) with a salad and garlic bread

Whole chicken roasted in the oven with sides, usually green beans and mashed potatoes or oven roasted potatoes, with rolls.

Then I add a dessert and maybe a drink like lemonade or tea depending on the family.

And always all disposable so nothing has to be returned.

• Like 2

I do this constantly. What I typically do is text the new mom a couple days ahead of time and give 3 choices and let her pick. That way we don't duplicate. My 3 favorites have usually been:

Oven roasted chicken fajitas (from budget bytes). I also bring tortillas, chips, salsa, cheese, rice, refried beans (if there are tiny ones in the family is usually add a couple cheese quesdillas)

Lasagna (I do an 8x8 pan unless it's a large family) with a salad and garlic bread

Whole chicken roasted in the oven with sides, usually green beans and mashed potatoes or oven roasted potatoes, with rolls.

Then I add a dessert and maybe a drink like lemonade or tea depending on the family.

And always all disposable so nothing has to be returned.

Oh darn.  I don't text either.  LOL

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The second reason I stopped having children was because of all the d*mned baked ziti.  We got 5 of them out of 7 meals with last ds.

Of course, it's a matter of taste.  I love giving rotisserie chicken with lots of sides and salad.  Other people may think that's lame!  lol

Hehehe, I just saw this. That's funny. For our picky/allergy ridden family it worked out well.

• Like 1