Menu

If you could spend a month anywhere in Africa...

J-rap

Do you want to go some where rural or metropolitan?

Would you like to go some where English speaking? Or French speaking? Do you mind needing a translator?

Do you mind using outhouses or eliminating in the open air or would you rather have and use modern plumbing available to you?

Do you want to go and be in a city/village or do you want to go out into the wilderness/nature?

• Like 2

I would want to go to Senegal, but I used to live there and I'd be torn on whether I want to go back to the same village that I was in or if I'd want to visit some one dear to me who lives in a different part of the same country.

I'd probably go visit the people dear to me though.

• Like 2

Do you want to go some where rural or metropolitan?

Would you like to go some where English speaking? Or French speaking? Do you mind needing a translator?

Do you mind using outhouses or eliminating in the open air or would you rather have and use modern plumbing available to you?

Do you want to go and be in a city/village or do you want to go out into the wilderness/nature?

My dh is somewhat disabled, so we'd prefer modern plumbing.  English speaking-- or rather, a country where there's a chance of some people speaking English -- is of course nice, but would not be necessary if it's still easy-enough to get along.  I don't mind needing a translator if that's a service easy to come by.

I don't yet know about city/village.  My ideal would be something that feels peaceful on the outskirts of town but that is still quite accessible to a town/market area.  

I would want to go to Senegal, but I used to live there and I'd be torn on whether I want to go back to the same village that I was in or if I'd want to visit some one dear to me who lives in a different part of the same country.

I'd probably go visit the people dear to me though.

My dd actually went to school in Senegal for a year, and my dh suggested it.  Where did you live when there?  Our dd went to school in Dakar.

• Like 1

That's a hard choice!  I'd love to live anywhere in Africa for a month as long as we were living in a safe neighborhood, but some places I'd especially love to live are Cape Town, Harare, Addis Ababa, Libreville, anywhere in Morocco, Cairo, Nairobi, Windhoek, Bamako, Dar es Salaam, Mbambe, Maputo, and Gaborone.

Probably the weather at the time of year we could go would make the biggest difference, along with the security situation at the time.

• Like 3

My dd actually went to school in Senegal for a year, and my dh suggested it.  Where did you live when there?  Our dd went to school in Dakar.

I lived in a village called Medina Baye (I've never seen the name spelled), it was about a days car trip from Dakar. We went to Dakar a few times and it was COMPLETELY different from MB. Dakar is way more modern and much nicer and noisier.

I know people who live in Boone, not far from Dakar.

I guess you should try and narrow down which region/part of Africa you would want to visit, there are over 50 countries to choose from.

• Like 2

Egypt.  My best friend in college was from there, and even before I met her that country has always fascinated me.  Plus I know for sure that I like the food, that there are Christian churches in which I could worship, and that there are people who speak English.

Egypt is fascinating.  We did live there for a few months many years ago.  We'd probably want to experience a different place this time.

That's a hard choice!  I'd love to live anywhere in Africa for a month as long as we were living in a safe neighborhood, but some places I'd especially love to live are Cape Town, Harare, Addis Ababa, Libreville, anywhere in Morocco, Cairo, Nairobi, Windhoek, Bamako, Dar es Salaam, Mbambe, Maputo, and Gaborone.

Probably the weather at the time of year we could go would make the biggest difference, along with the security situation at the time.

Yes, you're right -- security is priority, and weather would make a difference too!  

I lived in a village called Medina Baye (I've never seen the name spelled), it was about a days car trip from Dakar. We went to Dakar a few times and it was COMPLETELY different from MB. Dakar is way more modern and much nicer and noisier.

I know people who live in Boone, not far from Dakar.

I guess you should try and narrow down which region/part of Africa you would want to visit, there are over 50 countries to choose from.

You're right.  I need to begin researching!

We spent a almost a month (shy four days) in Egypt in December and loved it. We hope to go back. We were not in a touristy area either though we did take the time to visit such an area - Luxor.

Since you have already been however, I think that Kenya would be very interesting.

• Like 1

Botswana or Tanzania- lingering wanderlust from grad school. My professors that lived there for their research could never stop talking about the beauty of the land and the people. I've always wanted to go.

My gut instinct -- without researching -- is that these are areas I would particularly enjoy.

We spent a almost a month (shy four days) in Egypt in December and loved it. We hope to go back. We were not in a touristy area either though we did take the time to visit such an area - Luxor.

Since you have already been however, I think that Kenya would be very interesting.

So far, Botswana, Tanzania, and Kenya are definitely the countries that come to mind first, but I'm just kind of "free-flowing" thoughts right now.  :)  

North Africa, particularly Morroco, appeals to me, though I would have security concerns.

The Number One Ladies Detective Agency novels have made me think Botswana would be nice.

My husband lived in Africa for six months, mostly in Rwanda, and would really like to go back there.  He also really enjoyed Nairobi.

• Like 3

North Africa, particularly Morroco, appeals to me, though I would have security concerns.

The Number One Ladies Detective Agency novels have made me think Botswana would be nice.

My husband lived in Africa for six months, mostly in Rwanda, and would really like to go back there.  He also really enjoyed Nairobi.

Thanks for the ideas.  Yes, The Number One Ladies Detective Agency is in Botswana!  You're right.  I love those books.  :)

I would go to Lake Malawi. (Well, I've already been but I would go again!). Love Malawi.

If it's Kenya you fancy then you need to go to Kilifi, just north of Mombasa. But if you want quiet, then Lamu is fabulous.

Don't go to Cape Town in winter - it's really cold. 

I have never been to Botswana or Namibia, but they are both on my 'list' and would be great choices.

• Like 2

I don't know--too much there! But I'd like to visit Uganda and see Bishop Nykoyoto's orphanage and school for the blind. He has stayed at our home, and he's really, really wonderful.

There is so much diversity on the African continent! How can you choose? :laugh:

• Like 3

Hmmmm.....I grew up in Kenya, so of course I would like to go visit, possibly live there again.   And I have traveled through several African countries, including a few in West Africa.  I have to admit that West Africa doesn't hold the lure for me as East African and Southern Africa do.  The governments are more insecure, the weather is hotter, and the amenities are often more difficult to come by.  

But there are so many fascinating places.  Durban, Mauritius, Seychelles (absolutely beautiful!),  Cape Town.  I have been to all but the Seychelles.

• Like 3

One bucket list item for me is to see Lake Victoria, the source of the Nile.

That would be very cool to see.  I remember reading a biography about a British husband and wife team who was searching for the Nile's source in the 1800's.  Very fascinating story.

I don't know--too much there! But I'd like to visit Uganda and see Bishop Nykoyoto's orphanage and school for the blind. He has stayed at our home, and he's really, really wonderful.

There is so much diversity on the African continent! How can you choose? :laugh:

Very cool!  I wish we had some connection there somewhere, but we really don't.  I don't know how to choose, but thought this was a good starting point, and it is!  :)   Thanks for the ideas!

My aunt works in economic development and has traveled extensively in Africa. She always raved about Western Africa like Ghana but I'd want to make sure that the Ebola outbreak has totally ended before visiting.

Thanks!  How interesting for your aunt.  Also, good point about Ebola.  Thank you for bringing that up.

Hmmmm.....I grew up in Kenya, so of course I would like to go visit, possibly live there again.   And I have traveled through several African countries, including a few in West Africa.  I have to admit that West Africa doesn't hold the lure for me as East African and Southern Africa do.  The governments are more insecure, the weather is hotter, and the amenities are often more difficult to come by.  

But there are so many fascinating places.  Durban, Mauritius, Seychelles (absolutely beautiful!),  Cape Town.  I have been to all but the Seychelles.

Admittedly, West Africa doesn't hold the same lure for me either, but then again I know so little.  

If you were to live in Kenya again, where would you want to live?

South Africa. Capetown and surrounding area is just beautiful. You could get to the southernmost tip of the continent from there. I think, as is the case with many countries, there are relatively safe places to be in many countries and not so safe, AND you may need to have a different mindset about what feels "safe." There are places where security and more military-styled armed guards are just more prevalent - and I don't know if that has the effect of making you feel more secure or more unsettled. But, obviously, millions of people live their lives there with relative security. 

I think there's so many places to possibly go that you'll enjoy whatever you choose.

Edited by Slojo
  • Like 1

Admittedly, West Africa doesn't hold the same lure for me either, but then again I know so little.  

If you were to live in Kenya again, where would you want to live?

Mombassa.  It is beautiful.  But then I would definitely travel all over.  Nairobi has changed so much.  It is quite dirty.  When I smell diesel fuel, it always takes me back to Nairobi, just walking the streets!  

There is so much to see and there are so many different terrains.  People are always shocked when I tell them it wasn't hot where I grew up.  I grew up in tea country, almost 9000 ft. above sea level.  Lots of rain, plush green, rolling hills.  Temps in the 50s-70s year round.  

Mombassa is hotter but it is the coast and white sand beaches, and beautiful.

• Like 2

Botswana or Tanzania- lingering wanderlust from grad school. My professors that lived there for their research could never stop talking about the beauty of the land and the people. I've always wanted to go.

Plus the No. 1 Ladies Detective Club. 😉

• Like 1

Plus the No. 1 Ladies Detective Club. 😉

A friend lived for a few years in Botswana and was happy there. I loved visiting Zanzibar. I think that would be a good spot to settle for a while - small enough to really get to know it, but big enough to explore a little, and close to Dar es Salaam. An interesting mix of cultures and fascinating history, too.

• Like 2

I've spent a month in Uganda before-- and 2-3 weeks at a time on other visits as well (on one visit I also spent 2 weeks in Kenya).

I LOVE Uganda and would move there if I could get DH to agree!  It is a beautiful country (people and landscape)-- and at the same time one of the poorest places on Earth.

My passion is doing teacher training workshops as well as bringing and purchasing supplies for impoverished schools.

Last summer I spent 2 weeks in Uganda along with a WTM Boardie's dd!!! --she was one of my Algebra 2 students.  We saw a different side of Uganda (sad--but with hope) and  worked at a school that is making a difference in the lives of 'unwanted and lost' children.  We were also able to take a short Safari-- BEAUTIFUL-- even though I was bullied by a family of warthogs!

Not sure if I will return this summer or next-- but East Africa has a special place in my heart.  I have made many friends and connections.  The experience changed my life for the better.

• Like 1