Menu

Sort of S/O - weight training

Outdoorsy Type

I used to use handweights and followed 'Strong Women Stay Young', about 3X per week.

I have heard that this can contribute to eye problems, so since I have a family history of a bunch of nasty ones have shifted my exercise focus elsewhere, but I do recommend that book.  It's a good solid program that is easy to implement and builds you up like a trainer would.

Twice a week I work with a trainer at the gym (I'm rehabbing a shoulder injury).

Once a week I attend an hour-long bodyweight bootcamp class.

Once a week dh and I lift together at the gym.

Bodyweight exercises: squats, lunges, planks, pushups (variations on all of these)

With free weights and dumbbells: rows, presses, deadlifts, squats, lunges (diff variations as well)

With cable machine and weights: lat pulldowns, rows, tricep pulldowns, "wood chops" and so on

I was doing various circuits with gym machines twice a week, interval training with a group trainer once a week, and basics like push ups and squats at home once a week.

I'm supposed to be creating a home program based on Beautiful Badass/Girls Gone Strong stuff, but I keep procrastinating by telling myself I am going to get back to the gym.  :glare:

• 7 months later...

I used to use handweights and followed 'Strong Women Stay Young', about 3X per week.

I have heard that this can contribute to eye problems, so since I have a family history of a bunch of nasty ones have shifted my exercise focus elsewhere, but I do recommend that book.  It's a good solid program that is easy to implement and builds you up like a trainer would.

Wait, what?

I do body weight stuff like push-ups, squats, yoga. I do 10 lb dumbells for arms, biceps, triceps, traps, shoulders, etc.

It's sad. I have a big beautiful smith machine in my basement but have apparently decided I don't "have time" to do more weightlifting with it... Maybe that'll change soon ;)

From what I read, weight lifting is only associated with glaucoma when done improperly by holding your breath and such. I think it is worth asking your ophthalmologist about this since IMO I would not give up the benefits of weight lifting which are many unless my doctor instructed me to do so.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/wilmer/services/glaucoma_center_excellence/book/chapter_change_my_life.html

• Like 1

Pawz4me: which online program? Thanks.

Hasfit -- the 15 minute beginner strength training workout is what I started with (

). I like the workout and it's been really effective for me (increasing weights as I go). I don't hurry through it as quickly as possible as instructed. I take my time and focus on form. 
  • Like 2

Hasfit -- the 15 minute beginner strength training workout is what I started with (YouTube video here). I like the workout and it's been really effective for me (increasing weights as I go). I don't hurry through it as quickly as possible as instructed. I take my time and focus on form. 

I agree with taking time and proper form since the personal trainer I had who had a degree in exercise physiology emphasized that proper from done slower allows for greater strengthening of muscles and prevents injury. She pointed out in the gym all of the folks who were lifting and lowering fast and how they were not maximizing weight training. She actually would have said that the guy in the video you use goes too fast and that he needs to slow it down to make the muscles work harder. I do like the video otherwise since it does a full body work out:)

• Like 1

I do a HIIT class once or twice a week that is 4 minutes HIIT, alternating with 6 minutes strength using dumbbells or a bar.  I do either Body Pump or bootcamp once a week, they use body weight, dumbbells or a bar, and then once or twice a week I do yoga or pilates.  When I can't get to the gym, I will do a HIIT/strength video from Fitness Blender, they use body weight or dumbbells and are really great videos.  They're also free.  

• Like 1

I do some kind of strength training every day because I really love doing it and I love the results.  I have dumbbells and barbells at home, and I also have a "power tower" where I can work on chin ups and pull ups, triceps dips, and abs.  I mostly use workout DVDs, but also do some weight work on my own.  

Edited by Erica H

I'm not following a formal program.  I just lift weights for an hour, three times a week, with my husband and/or daughter as my workout buddy and spotter.  We try to get in a variety of exercises, make sure we hit all the major muscles each time, that's really about it.  Simple, but it seems to be working.  I'm just a beginner, though.  Only started lifting earlier this year.  At some point I may see a personal trainer about a more targeted routine, but really you can accomplish a lot by just saying, "ok, I'm going to go to the gym and see what I can do in an hour."  If you don't have a gym membership, you can accomplish a lot with a few dumbbells and a bench!

ETA:  And that hour goes by really fast if you're working out *with* someone, because you're taking turns (resting between sets) and the company makes the time fly.  Working out alone is not as fun.

Edited by Greta

New Rules of Lifting series is really excellent. Their newest book is Strong. It involves lifting heavy weights so you need either a home gym or access to a gym. At the other end of the spectrum of weight lifting: You are Your Own Gym is a book of graduated body weight strength training. It is excellent as well. 

New Rules of Lifting series is really excellent. Their newest book is Strong. It involves lifting heavy weights so you need either a home gym or access to a gym. At the other end of the spectrum of weight lifting: You are Your Own Gym is a book of graduated body weight strength training. It is excellent as well. 

I just ordered Strong from the library after hearing great things about it! 

Edited by Erica H
  • Like 1

I take a LesMills BodyPump class with my dc 2-3x a week.

My dd and I also take BodyFlow (Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi combo) 1-2x week.

I can't keep up in BodyPump, but I also do BodyFlow at least once a week. I went today  :hurray: .

Then I do cardio 2x a week, weights on my own 2x a week, and a Kinesis class 1x a week.

It seems like a lot, but I'm a broken-down, middle aged woman. I've been doing most of that for two years now, and it's made a huge difference in my health.

Early on a did a lot of semi-private weight training classes in order to get my form and breathing down. That's very, very important if you want to avoid injury.

It's included in the Leslie Sansone video - there is a "Walk" routine and a "Firm" routine within it. 

I see:) I have someof hers that use weights while walking which are great. In regards to the name the Firm there was a great video series that you can still find from the 1990's that used light weights and aerobics combined and it was a killer series;) They did all of the usual weight lifting moves and then some in such a way that it was more like circuit training and you definitely ended up in the aerobic zone:

Here is one of the classic Firm videos which I love:

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/the-firm-crosstrainer-strength

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/classic-firm-body-sculpting-basics-vol-1

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/classic-firm-aerobic-workout-w-weights-vol-3

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/classic-firm-low-impact-aerobics-vol-2

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/classic-firm-abs-hips-amp-thighs-vol-5

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/classic-firm-boomers-with-jayne-poteet-vol-6

http://www.collagevideo.com/products/classic-firm-time-crunch-workout-vol-4

These videos date me but they are not dated in any way and are very thorough workouts. If you are a beginner you could always modify by using no weights or one pound weights. I also walk in place when I need to rest a bit during a workout. I have ordered quite a bit from Collage videos with no problems. They have a great selection of exercise videos. 

I would say that Volume 1, 2, and 3 are my favorite Firm videos of the above but the ones above are all good.

• Like 1

Personal trainer 3 times a week.  It's the only way I can be sure I will actually get in my exercise.  I not only need someone to hold me accountable, I need to have dedicated time in a dedicated place AWAY from the rest of my life to make sure it remains uninterrupted.  It's expensive and the cost has me wincing, but it has become medically necessary for me.  The up side is my trainer keeps changing my workouts so I don't get bored and my muscles don't settle into a routine, and I don't have to figure any of it out; I just show up and follow instructions.  This gives me a little mental downtime as a bonus.