Menu

TV/Movie Buffs help me find a Show/Movie where....(trigger warning)

Gil

I'm looking for shows/movies made between 1980 to present in which men hit* women out of annoyance/being fed up/having been insulted/etc.

There are 3 stipulations for the movie.

1) It can't be a movie about about a woman living in/escaping a situation of domestic abuse and what not.

2) It can't be a horror film in which the monster just happens to be female. (Because if a zombie is trying to kill you, the gender really doesn't matter)

3) It can't be mutual combat between opposite sexes.

I'm specifically looking for examples in film where a man gets exasperated with a woman and hits her. I am not looking for rage-fueled violence. I'm looking for scenes filmed with a vibe similar to what you often see in movies where a man says something stupid or obnoxious to a woman and then gets hit by the woman he's offended. Or gets a drink thrown in his face.

This is a serious request and not meant to antagonize anyone though I'm sure that some one will be offended by the question. This isn't meant to offend or rile anyone up.

*Other forms of assault count such as; throwing a drink in her face, throwing something at her head that narrowly misses.

Edited by Gil

Y'all, she asked for movies made between 1980 and today. Cary Grant and John Wayne and Airplane don't fit the bill. :-)

Ha.  Well, I guess more recent movies are too PC to hit women.

None of these are recent though. They are from the 30s-60s.

In the Quiet Man, a by stander gives John Wayne a branch 'to beat the lady with'.

It's meant to be a funny moment. I cannot remember if he actually spanks her or not. She is definitely no pushover.

James Cagney and the grapefruit? Don't remember which movie that is.

Cary Grant and Leslie Caron trade slaps in Father Goose, but she initiates.

Spenser Tracy gives Kathryn Hepburn a hard smack on the bottom, out of frustration, in Adam's Rib.

The Quiet Man and McClinktock came to mind.

In the movie Airplane there's a hysterical woman on the flight and everyone lines up to slap her.

While this film was made in 1980 (thus making the date cutoff) its also a parody and the scene is too absurd to be taken seriously. Its not in line with what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

1998 The Real World. Stephen slapped Irene. 

They just hated each other. 

He wasn't romantically involved with her (he is gay).

It's in the last 10 seconds of the clip, I don't suggest watching the rest of it, it's nonsense. 

I've seen a lot of women getting slapped in teen shows like Pretty Little Liars, Vampire Diaries, etc, but it's either woman-on-woman or monster-related (or both).    Women getting slapped is not a rare thing to see on TV. It is titillating.

But men hitting real women doesn't happen much. I don't think men who hit women are "slappers", really. It's such a specific gesture of contempt- an insult.  B*tch slap doesn't mean you hit a woman, it means you are saying the person you're hitting is not manly enough to have to strike with a fist.

Edited by poppy
  • Like 1

Y'all, she asked for movies made between 1980 and today. Cary Grant and John Wayne and Airplane don't fit the bill. :-)

airplane is a spoof of the "airport" movies of the 70's.  (and nothing is meant to be taken seriously) - it was released in 1980.

I really don't watch a lot of movies, so can't be of much help.  A vast majority of movies that involve (even as a side story line) prostitution, slavery, or  human trafficking will have scenes like you describe.

Sometimes war movies will have side story lines that involve trafficking.

Gang movies often involve prostitution.

Historic movies often involve slavery.

Edited by Tap

I think Medicine Man with Sean Connery, 1992, might fit the bill, but it's been about that long since I've seen it. 

The scene I remember is Connery arguing with the female lead - the details are fuzzy, but I recall him grabbing her roughly and basically manhandling her across the room. I'm not sure if there was an actual 'hit' or not, but I remember being appalled by the level of physical force, and the fact that it was portrayed somewhat matter-of-factly.  

There may be more than one similar scene.

Wasn't there a western like that? A man literally spanked a young woman. It's pretty popular, but I can't stomach it!

ETA: Was it Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

The Quiet Man with John Wayne?

I was also curious about the question. Trying to show, according to Hollywood, that is acceptable for a woman to hit a man but not the other way around?