Menu

Pop Quiz: If the ancient mesopotamians grew corn, what did they have to eat? Update post 69

138 members have voted

1. 1. Two books I recently read said the ancient mesopotamians grew corn... so what did they have to eat?

• Popcorn
    • Maize
    • Oats
    • Einkorn
    • Other

I voted Einkorn.

As I recall, that was the first cultivated grain and the ancestor of modern wheat.

Isn't maize native in central/south America?

ETA: I don't know either of the mentioned books. But we covered Mesopotamia when I was in 5th grade in school, in 1979.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Must be the British meaning of 'corn' as a generic term for grain. Maize is from the Americas... from your list I'd guess oats, but since I'm blanking on what they actually grew, I could also think barley - or wheat, but didn't that come later or from elsewhere? Just wasn't maize or a relative!

What the heck is 'einkorn'? Never heard of that...

• Like 4

I said other - my first thought was that it was the wheat - as it would be in British English.

Okay. I really don't know what the correct answer is. Both books are by American authors. With the first book I thought they maybe meant einkorn (an ancient form of wheat iirc), but then between the first and second book I heard someone say that in Scotland, if you ask for corn they'll give you oats. Regardless, it was pretty odd and confusing.

Isn't maize native in central/south America?

ETA: I don't know either of the mentioned books.

Yes, maize is from the Americas so didn't get to the middle east until after the Columbian exchange, afaik.

Science in Ancient Mesopotamia is a 5th grade or so level book about, well, science in ancient mesopotamia. The History of the Ancient World is a grown-up book about the history of the ancient world by a well-known author (SWB).

Yes, maize is from the Americas so didn't get to the middle east until after the Columbian exchange, afaik.

Science in Ancient Mesopotamia is a 5th grade or so level book about, well, science in ancient mesopotamia. The History of the Ancient World is a grown-up book about the history of the ancient world by a well-known author (SWB).

Why don't you just PM SWB and ask her? 

• Like 1

Why don't you just PM SWB and ask her? 

Somehow I didn't realize it was possible to PM her.

I'm just surprised that two books, both by American authors, would both talk about the ancient mesopotamians growing corn. I imagine that most people would misinterpret that.

ETA: I did just PM her.

Edited by luuknam

I'm just surprised that two books, both by American authors, would both talk about the ancient mesopotamians growing corn. I imagine that most people would misinterpret that.

Really?

I read "corn" in its meaning as a synonym for "grain". I would think most people would know that it cannot refer to what Americans call "corn", i.e. maize. No way the Mesopotamians could have had that - no trade with the Americas yet.

Edited by regentrude

I think that's confusing terminology for an American audience. Most Americans don't know "corn" can mean anything but "maize." I know that... but the way I know it was reading statements like that in history books, getting confused, and seeking out a clarification. So now, years down the road, I know. But I think to 90% or more of Americans that would be misleading. My understanding is that Brits and other English speakers may use the broader definition more often.

• Like 8

Really?

I read "corn" in its meaning as a synonym for "grain". I would think most people would know that it cannot refer to what Americans call "corn", i.e. maize. No way the Mesopotamians could have had that - no trade with the Americas yet.

Well, given that 'maize' currently has 38% of the vote here, and I expect that the people here are better educated than the average American, I think you're overestimating the average person.

• Like 7

I don't recall the History of the Ancient World saying corn.  I believe it said wheat and then barley, because the soil got saltier and barley is more tolerant.

It says 'cornfields' in chapter 3, and 'corn-growing' in chapter 41 (not that I'm at chapter 41 yet).

ETA: I think it also mentioned barley, and maybe wheat, but mentioning those doesn't automatically mean people can't get confused since you can grow many kinds of grain in one society.

Edited by luuknam

actually, if it had not been multiple choice, I would probably have guessed emmer, not einkorn.

There was the 'other' option.

Are they? I looked up the book and found that Science in Ancient Mesopotamia was originally published by Franklin Watts, which is a British publisher

The last page of the book (using the "look inside" feature on Amazon, since I returned the book to the library a while ago), says she's got a BA and an MS from the University of Minnesota and lives in St. Paul. I can't find where she's originally from though.

• Like 1

Really?

This is definitely the older and more generic meaning of the word corn, also the more international one.

I have however seen Americans misinterpret it, as in a children's Bible we used to have that shows Joseph in Egypt's dream of seven fat/seven lean ears of corn; the illustrations are of (really ugly and inaccurate) stalks of maize.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

I would have just said wheat, asking for the specific variety seems too detailed for something like this. Wheat and barley were both grown in Mesopotamia.

The only reason I remembered these two varieties (einkorn and emmer) was because they were specifically mentioned when we covered Ancient Mesopotamia in school. I marvel that I remember material from 35 years ago. They must have taught us well.

• Like 2

I chose maize because that was the only word related to corn. I also thought corn, Mesopotamia, what? As those don't go together.

I forgot that corn can mean any grain, I have read that before. I would think very very few Americans know that corn can refer to any grain historically and in other countries, since it means only corn on the cob here.

• Like 3

I chose maize because that was the only word related to corn. I also thought corn, Mesopotamia, what? As those don't go together.

I forgot that corn can mean any grain, I have read that before. I would think very very few Americans know that corn can refer to any grain historically and in other countries, since it means only corn on the cob here.

This.

I'm fairly well educated and well read. I truly didn't know corn was generic for gain. Here grain is generic for grain. And corn is a specific kind of grain. Maybe, if more Americans knew corn really meant grain, more Americans would realize corn isn't a vegetable.

• Like 8

I'm wondering SWB just took the word corn from whatever sources she was using at the time and didn't think much about it? It is definitely not the word I would use for generic grain in a book with a significant American audience.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Yes,when we read "corn"  in those books I had to conclude that it meant something other than corn on the cob because I knew corn was native to the Americas and couldn't have been in Mesopotamia but I had no idea that it's regularly used to mean "grains" in other parts of the world these days. I've never heard of einkorn.

• Like 2

, more Americans would realize corn isn't a vegetable.

yes. Botanically, fresh corn kernels are fruit.

Corn isn't a vegetable because vegetables are the parts of plants that do not contain the seed bearing structures.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/fruit-vegetable-difference/bgp-20056141

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Because corn means grain (and the two words are cognates, in fact). Consider corned beef. Is that made with yellow corn? No, it's made with corns (grains) of salt.

Whoa, I didn't know that's where the term "corned beef" came from.

As for the poll, I voted other since I have no clue what grains were grown then and there.  I assumed "corn" meant "grain", though.

• Like 2

If they grew corn, they ate corn. :)

I thought in English corn and maize were synonyms. Maybe that is just in American English.

I know what Einkorn is but that is not corn. That is wheat. They share a common [edit: etymological] root. Oats are not corn either. 

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1

If they grew corn, they ate corn. :)

I thought in English corn and maize were synonyms. Maybe that is just in American English.

I know what Einkorn is but that is not corn. That is wheat. They share a common [edit: etymological] root. Oats are not corn either. 

Yes - only in American English.  Merriam Webster's second definition gives 'corn' to mean whatever is the dominant grain crop in an area, including oats in Scotland:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/corn

Interestingly, Merriam Webster seems to imply that Scotland is not part of Britain....

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

I voted einkorn.  I knew it could not be corn or maize, and I didn't think oats would grow well in that climate, so it was an elimination choice really.

I did not think of the possibility of corn being a general term, though now that it has been mentioned I recall reading that before.  But that would be a very uncommon way to use it in an American text I think, especially one for children, without explaining that was what it meant.

• Like 3

No, botanically, they are fruit :-)

Correct.  As are peas, squash, pumpkins, peppers, eggplant... in fact, a large number of vegetables are botanically fruit - anything that starts with a flower and contains seeds.  This is why the whole "the tomato is a fruit" thing annoys me.  Yeah, but it's also a vegetable.  There are two meanings for fruit, one botanical, one the everyday use that's some kind of edible plant part that's sweet vs. savory.

Rhubarb, of course is not botanically a fruit even though we use it like one.

• Like 7

So are green beans not vegetables?

Culinarily* speaking, yes, they are - along with tomatoes, bell peppers, and avocados. Botanically, those are all fruits, as they are the ripened ovaries of plants. (Meanwhile, apples and strawberries and  figs are not true fruits but "accessory fruits", because the fruity part is NOT the ripened ovary of the plant. Go figure.)

* Look, it's a word.

• Like 6

I just noticed that Maize is following this topic.....

Are you trying to make a pun here? Because if so, that's really corny.

This is why the whole "the tomato is a fruit" thing annoys me.

They're berries, aren't they? Hey, you know how you turn a tomato into another fruit? It's easy. Just throw it up in the air, and it comes down squash!

Whoa, I didn't know that's where the term "corned beef" came from.

Peppercorns too. They're corns (grains) of pepper. Which is a bit of an odd usage, but there you go.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2