Menu

Star Wars rating question (possible spoilers)

SebastianCat

I can't seem to find this info elsewhere...so can anyone who has seen the new Star Wars movie share whether you feel the PG-13 rating is appropriate? If so, for what elements?

I'm trying to decide if I should make an exception to our family's normal rule, which is that PG-13 movies are appropriate for ages 13 and up. This is a movie my 11 year old would really like to see, but I'd like to know a bit more before making an exception.

Thanks!

imdb.com has a parents guide.  It's just a listing of what is in the movie without saying if it's good or bad.  You decide if it's good or bad 

Here it is for Star Wars VII:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

You might want to compare that with movies you know.  When they write it out like that it seems so bad.  But when I watched it, it wasn't all that bad.  So, pull up the parents guide for a movie you've seen to see how it looks when listed in black and white.

To find the guide:

imdb.com

Type in the movie you want to read about

Scroll down to the part that says "Storyline" 

The parent's guide is the last thing to click on in the Storyline section.  (If you scroll to Details, you've scrolled too far.)

For example, here's the parents guide to It's a Wonderful Life.  It sounds pretty racy and violent!  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038650/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

I think Star Wars is safe for an 11 year old.  I took my 10 year old.  However, I have taken my 10 year old to some of the PG13 Avengers movies.  He doesn't like violent movies and he liked Star Wars. 

Edited by Garga

i think the last three were worse. I thought the trailers for upcoming movies were worse.

one bloody handprint, some blood on the ground in another scene.  mostly space battles and explosions, plus blaster sounds. (I would not take a highly anxious child.)  some dead bodies laying around (no real gore.)  a couple hugs.

I took dudeling (who does have a history of anxiety - but he was fine.), and I'm pretty conservative.  

Edited by gardenmom5

We took our 9yo and I had no idea it was rated PG-13!  Couldn't tell from the movie, IMO, although I think that with more than a few instances of fighting/violence, PG-13 becomes sort of automatic.  Some of the content might be somewhat "disturbing" rather than violent to a very young and/or sensitive viewer, but not over the top at all.

*Editing to add that when I say disturbing, this movie comes nowhere close to the level of intensity of, say, the scene when Anakin fights Obi-Wan near the lava in Episode 6 or whatever it is.  lol

Edited by 6packofun

The only element which would give a PG 13 rating to that movie is the violence: Lightsaber fights , blaster fights, blowing things up, etc. A child who is upset by death shouldn't see it, but if battle death is okay in your family, it should be okay. If Star Wars 4, 5, or 6 are okay for your child, this was the same kind of movie. I wouldn't have any trouble taking my kids at that age and I erred on the side of caution.

IMO it was very very similar to the original Star Wars movie (now called #4), and would be fine for any child who would be OK with the original. There were kids of all ages in the theater when I saw it, from toddlers on up. There's chase scenes, battle scenes, explosions, and some sadness, but surprisingly little blood or gore, and no sexual content whatsoever. 

We took all 3 of ours - almost 12 and 10, no question, it was fine.  The 6.5 year old was, too, for us.  

She would grab DH's arm during anything 'intense', but honestly, 95% of that is her being dramatic.  :lol:  I think he was watching closely to see where the one scene was going with the monster-like things on Han's ship, but that ended up being fine, too.  He just wasn't sure beforehand how graphic it would be with them getting people (it wasn't).  

All of the kids have seen all the rest of the movies.  I think Pink isn't as interested in them as the boys are, but she wanted to go because everyone else was, so she did.  :)  I also think she hasn't been in the room for the whole Anakin/lava/on fire thing during episode III, which IMO would be the 'worst' as far as that stuff goes for kids in Star Wars movies.

(Other than the sheer awkwardness which is the Anakin/Padme relationship.  :lol: :lol:  And her dominatrix outfit.  :rofl:  jkjk)

I think it's true that the filmmakers want the PG-13 rather than PG rating now because the demographic they are going for will think a PG movie is lame. My boys went yesterday with their uncle. They loved it and said they thought it would be ok for their 6 year old sister. They are probably more protective of her than we are so that told me it wasn't all that scary or violent. :) 

IMO it was very very similar to the original Star Wars movie (now called #4), and would be fine for any child who would be OK with the original. There were kids of all ages in the theater when I saw it, from toddlers on up. There's chase scenes, battle scenes, explosions, and some sadness, but surprisingly little blood or gore, and no sexual content whatsoever. 

My almost 7 year old was fine with Episode 4 (at home), but there is no way that he could have watched Episode 7 in the theatre. The difference for him is the intensity of the movie theatre experience -- the huge monsters, the crazy loud sound and vibrations. So, bear that in mind, if your kids are like mine -- videos at home (even with a big screen and good sound system) just isn't the same as going to a theatre. 

Edited by SeaConquest

My almost 7 year old was fine with Episode 4 (at home), but there is no way that he could have watched Episode 7 in the theatre. The difference for him is the intensity of the movie theatre experience -- the huge monsters, the crazy loud sound and vibrations. So, bear that in mind, if your kids are like mine -- videos at home (even with a big screen and good sound system) just isn't the same as going to a theatre. 

We were really nervous about this, too. Our kids have been to the drive-in, which is as close to an adaptive showing of a movie as we get in our area. Star Wars 7 was their first movie experience (DS8, DD7, and DS5 who is on the spectrum). I was nervous about DD7 and DS5. So, DH took them to the oldest theater in the city...no souped-up sound system, smaller screen and a longer theater. 

DS5 did have his noise-cancelling muffs, but those are pretty much standard protocol these days :/

• Like 1

I really liked the movie, but my kids, ages 9 and 11, were really upset by it. They said there was too much killing and destruction. Both kids absolutely melted down afterwards.

:( Both have enjoyed all previous Star Wars movies, and while they are more sensitive than most kids, I would not describe them as extremely sensitive.

I just saw it and I say take him if he's not overly sensitive. I erred on the side of caution and didn't take my then 10-11 year old SW fan to see Attack of the Clones and really regretted it down the road.

If you're concerned go see it yourself first and decide. 

Edited by Pippen