Menu

Star Wars: SPOILERS!!!! DO NOT OPEN!!!!

Garga

So...I don't have time to read all the stuff, but I'm going to put my 2 cents in about Rey's family....

I really wonder if she is Kylo Ren's twin and were separated at birth - much like Luke and Leia. I think that might be a bit too obvious, but then again, maybe that's what they want us to think - that it's too obvious to be true. I personally think it's too obvious that she is Luke's daughter, but I did see a theory that she might be Ben Kenobi's granddaughter. I wouldn't have thought of that one. 

ETA: Never mind. The Kenobi thing was mentioned already (As I'm sure my theory has been mentioned too. lol) 

Edited by Southern Ivy

My thoughts exactly. Those huge ships and death stars have way to many grabby things for me to be 100% convinced Han is dead.

I think he might truly be dead. Harrison Ford asked for his character to be killed off in Return of the Jedi, but they wouldn't do it. So, I think that they may have give it to him with this film. 

• Like 2

I think he might truly be dead. Harrison Ford asked for his character to be killed off in Return of the Jedi, but they wouldn't do it. So, I think that they may have give it to him with this film.

I do not expect to see Ford again, unless he has a small role in the upcoming film about Solo's backstory (by upcoming I mean my kids told me one is in the works but I've not yet seen proof of it!).

[ETA here ya go

http://m.imdb.com/news/ni58771361/]

I would love Rey all the more if we discover she's a Kenobi.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 3

My thoughts exactly. Those huge ships and death stars have way to many grabby things for me to be 100% convinced Han is dead.

As much as I'd like for him to be alive, it would be utterly ridiculous for him to have survived being lightsabered in the gut and falling a great distance on a planet that explodes shortly thereafter. Maybe if he were Stefano DiMera on Days of Our Lives.

• Like 14

As much as I'd like for him to be alive, it would be utterly ridiculous for him to have survived being lightsabered in the gut and falling a great distance on a planet that explodes shortly thereafter. Maybe if he were Stefano DiMera on Days of Our Lives.

Agreed.

Plus they had a tough time getting Harrison Ford back, and I believe he only did due to Han being central to the story and the character dying at the end.

Harrison may have said "Look, when you kill me, I want me stabbed with the lightsaber, then I fall into a pit, and THEN you need to blow up the planet.  None of that carbonite crap again.

Edited by ChocolateReignRemix
  • Like 16

Agreed.

Plus they had a tough time getting Harrison Ford back, and I believe he only did due to Han being central to the story and the character dying at the end.

Harrison may have said "Look, when you kill me, I want me stabbed with the lightsaber, then I fall into a pit, and THEN you need to blow up the planet.  None of that carbonite crap again.

Harrison Ford wanted Han killed long ago (Empire Strikes Back if I'm not mistaken). It looks like he finally got his wish. Maybe he only agreed to be in the movie if he got to die. I haven't looked it up but that's the theory dh and I went with regarding Han's death.

I too was distracted by Voldemort. Ds and his girlfriend saw it a few days after dh and I and when we asked him what he thought, one of the first things he said was, "I thought Voldemort was supposed to be really dead.".

• Like 2

Harrison Ford wanted Han killed long ago (Empire Strikes Back if I'm not mistaken). It looks like he finally got his wish. Maybe he only agreed to be in the movie if he got to die. I haven't looked it up but that's the theory dh and I went with regarding Han's death.

I too was distracted by Voldemort. Ds and his girlfriend saw it a few days after dh and I and when we asked him what he thought, one of the first things he said was, "I thought Voldemort was supposed to be really dead.".

Ford wanted him killed in RTOTJ.  Lucas wasn't certain Ford was coming back after Empire which is why he gave him an ending that would allow him to be written out if needed.  Ford obviously did agree to do RTOTJ but he didn't like Han's story arc and thought he would have more of an impact if he died in a heroic manner.  Lucas felt that wouldn't let the trilogy end with a happy ending and would not let it go that direction.

Ford wanted him killed in RTOTJ.  Lucas wasn't certain Ford was coming back after Empire which is why he gave him an ending that would allow him to be written out if needed.  Ford obviously did agree to do RTOTJ but he didn't like Han's story arc and thought he would have more of an impact if he died in a heroic manner.  Lucas felt that wouldn't let the trilogy end with a happy ending and would not let it go that direction.

Lucas said even in Empire he wanted to be killed.

What does the Hive think of the theory that Rey is Obi Wan's granddaughter? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostrower/rey-is-obi-wan-kenobis-granddaughter_b_8911656.html

I love this! I think it is the perfect answer.  After reading through all of the article, I now think I might be a bit disappointed if the writer's don't chose this direction!

• Like 1

From a nostalgia stand point loved it. story maybe tried to put to much in it and it was awkward. The ending could have been stronger. Who the heck is rey? How is she a Jedi? Did I miss something. Took a while to get tickets, had to wait for everyone to get back to work.

Edited by lynn

Ok - we've been having a lot of fun here thinking of theories for Rey.  I kind of feel Rey cannot be a Kenobi.  Obi Wan goes on and on and on in episode 2 (I think) about the fact he doesn't like to fly.  Rey is a pilot through and through.  But I do think that is a fun and interesting theory and I would enjoy seeing that play out.

The last theory we were throwing around here is that Rey was switched at birth with Kylo Ren unbeknownst to anyone.  She looks so much like Padme and Leia!  Kylo Ren looks like NO ONE!  He's the Emperor's satan spawn or something.

• Like 3

Ok - we've been having a lot of fun here thinking of theories for Rey. I kind of feel Rey cannot be a Kenobi. Obi Wan goes on and on and on in episode 2 (I think) about the fact he doesn't like to fly. Rey is a pilot through and through. But I do think that is a fun and interesting theory and I would enjoy seeing that play out.

The last theory we were throwing around here is that Rey was switched at birth with Kylo Ren unbeknownst to anyone. She looks so much like Padme and Leia! Kylo Ren looks like NO ONE! He's the Emperor's satan spawn or something.

That was the most disturbing part of episode 7. And I really loved it. But kylo ten does not look at all like he could have Han and leia for parents. Like at all 😡

My husband thinks Rey might be the child(grandchild?) to a half sibling of anakin. Thinks she looks just like anakins mother and we do know that she married later.

I still can't let go of thinking she is a daughter of Han and leia. I think the switched at birth thing could be. Or leia never told Han about her. It's possible that they thought she was killed when the jedis luke was training were murdered by kylo ren.

Her being a Kanobi makes sense on some levels too as does being Luke's daughter but I just can't feel settled about either Luke or Ben having children. I still feel she is Han and leias. I might be wrong but it is where I am ;)

• Like 1

DS says that in episode 5 when they were talking about Luke being their only hope and Yoda says" no.. There is another". So what if they were not referring to Leia.

That idea doesn't make any sense unless the current writers change the back story.

In Return of the Jedi:

BEN

Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.

LUKE

Yoda spoke of another.

BEN

The other he spoke of is your twin sister.

• Like 2

So...I am being lazy and don't want to go back through the thread and try to find this. What are the books that you all referred to as the books that Star Wars was based on? TIA

George Lucas created Star Wars. The movie series came before any books, though I think there was a novelization available before or about the same time as the first movie came out.

So...I am being lazy and don't want to go back through the thread and try to find this. What are the books that you all referred to as the books that Star Wars was based on? TIA

This:

George Lucas created Star Wars. The movie series came before any books, though I think there was a novelization available before or about the same time as the first movie came out.

The books I'm talking about in past posts are dozens of books that were written to take place AFTER Return of The Jedi.  Once Disney announced they were making more movies, they were also quick to say that all those books that have been written, while fun, are no longer considered "Star Wars Canon".  They are now referred to as the "Extended Universe", so kind of a parallel universe of things that *could* have happened.  Star Wars Canon material is the first six movies, plus the cartoon Star Wars:Rebels.

Agreed.

But we haven't seen the body...

• 2 months later...

I finally got a chance to watch it (two small kids and a husband who is very busy, plus some travel) and I was amazed. I had been hiding under a rock to avoid spoilers, and it worked. Then I read this thread at long last.

• Like 2

Did anyone else watch this again tonight? This was the third time I'd seen it but the first time I noticed the doll wearing rebel gear in the scene where Rey is making a tally mark. I wonder what I'll catch next time that I've been missing.

In the scene where Fin is helping an injured Chewy get hooked up to the medical devices, he's going through stuff and briefly is seen holding the ball that Luke had used to get some force training while on the Falcon. 

• Like 1

I have to say I avoided this thread until after watching the movie so I wouldn't read any movie spoilers. But I wasn't expecting there to be book spoilers as well. Still sad over Han dying...now Chewie too?! Geez!

Well, that was in the old "extended universe" not the new current canon.  AND that information is well over ten years old.  There was a big bru-ha-ha in the SW fiction writing community that they had these many series of books that went on 20, 30, 40 years after the death star and NO ONE important had ever been killed off. Everyone was chugging along like it was 1983 and they were all still young and invincible. 

You had to read something like 60+ books in order to even get to that point, and as I said, I stopped reading shortly before that.  It became formulaic and predictable.