Menu

Brownie Help

AmandaVT

I need help - I can't make brownies. I'm a good cook and baker, generally. I can make yeast breads, homemade pizza dough, cookies of all kinds, pie crust, homemade ice cream, risotto, quick breads, etc. But I can't make brownies, either homemade or box. 

Here's what happens:

I make the batter, it looks and tastes delicious. I wait until the oven is pre-heated, follow all instructions and as the brownies are cooking, it looks like small volcanoes of oil/butter are erupting all over the brownie pan. Hundreds of tiny volcanoes. Then, they never set up properly and remain gooey (uncooked looking) on the inside while turning too hard on the edges. 

Anyone have any idea what on earth is happening? My oven has no problem cooking anything else. At Thanksgiving, I made 2 pies with homemade crusts and homemade dinner rolls and they cooked nicely. Tonight, I made brownies from a box and they are inedible. 

Help!!

I'm sure you know this (it's on the back of the brownie mix box) but are you using dark metal pans for brownies (and glass or light pans for pies/rolls)? Darker pans require a lower temp. Are your brownie pans thinner than usual? I believe aluminum is recommended for even heating.

Are you at high altitude?

• Like 1

That's really weird.  I always thought brownies from a mix were kind of guaranteed.

What about your pan size?  Are you using a small square pan? That would make the brownies thicker and perhaps give rise to this.  If so, go for a rectangular pan.  You could also try baking the brownie mix in a cupcake tin.

Are you mixing the batter for the full two minutes or whatever the box says?

Are you using the right oven temperature for your pan?

For a scratch brownie recipe, I really like the "Best Brownies" recipe on AllRecipes.

• Like 2

I thought brownies were supposed to be a bit gooey on the inside and harder on the edges (I love the corners!). Maybe you like yours more like cake? Do the thing it says on the box (whatever it is, I can't remember - adding an extra egg, perhaps) to make "more cake-like brownies." I love mine fudge-y. 

• Like 1

I just did a box last night, and I almost never do boxed brownies!

I think the oil thing could be one (or both) of two things.  If your pan is already non-stick, maybe you're having issues with greasing?  Non-stick doesn't really like greasing.  Also, the box said to mix (approx. 50 strokes) and bake immediately.  Maybe you're mixing and letting it sit for a bit before getting in the oven?  I could see the oil starting to separate in that case.

A non-gooey brownie is worthless to me.  When I make them from scratch, I intentionally undercook them a bit. As they cool, they'll go from almost soupy to properly gooey.

• Like 1

Woke up to lots of help, thank you!!

Let's see:

Glass pyrex pan - it's the right size. 8x8 square. I lowered the heat down to 350 per the instructions on the box.

I'm using canola oil

I'm not in a high elevation (~1000ft)

I love gooey brownies. These ended up so hard on the edges, I could barely cut through it with my chef knife and so gooey on the inside they were almost raw. And a oily mess on the bottom. 

I've tried a few different scratch recipes and 2 boxes over the past year - ghirardelli and last night was a new one, Pillsbury purely simple.

I counted out the 50 strokes last night too!

I might just be brownie challenged, but I'm so perplexed by this! 

I've never had good luck with a glass pan- they get too hard. I use my metal cake pan.  Is it possible that your oven it too hot or your rack it too low? 

I feel for you- when you need a chocolate fix, brownies are a 'go to' because they are fast and easy. So I'm sure it's frustrating to have this problem! 

• Like 2

I wonder if your oven is too hot? I mean that the thermostat is off. If you normally bake things until they look done and don't rely too much on the timer it could be off and you'd only notice it with things like brownies which are difficult IMO to judge.

At any rate, a lower cooking temperature should help with the edges cooking too fast for the center.

• Like 2

I'd switch to a dark, metal, 9x9 pan. It'll give you an extra inch all around so the batter can spread out and cook before the edges harden too much. Also, it won't be in the oven as long as an 8x8 glass pan. The Giardelli mix is the best. I'll never bother with homemade again. Don't count strokes, just mix until the batter is wet and dump it in the pan. Also, when you oil the pan, don't go overboard. Do a very light coat. Just brush with a pastry brush or spread with a paper towel.

You can also try baking them in your muffin tin and it'll be even faster, but you get more of the harder edges this way and you don't seem to prefer that. Also "hard edges" shouldn't actually be hard; just a but firmer and easier to cut/hold than the fudge center. Also, make sure your oven rack is somewhat centered.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

OK - I think I'm going to have to see if I can solve this now. I'm going to get a dark 9x9 pan to see if that helps. I am pretty confident that my oven is fine. It's only a couple of years old and has baked a bunch of persnickety things well. 

There could be worse things than making more batches of brownies. :-) These were going to be for my garbage collectors- I always try to give out cookies or a treat at Christmas time. They are coming in an hour or so, so I won't be able to get it to them today, but they come on Fridays for recycling, so I will shoot for then!

• Like 1

To minimize hard edges and maximize ooey-gooey centers, lower the temp 25 degrees and strip the edges. Put strips of aluminum foil around the edges - use strips about an inch wide. This will protect the edges from over cooking while the center gets done. Take them out when the center is firm to the touch (not runny) but is still very soft.

Then - this is the hard part - let the brownies sit TOTALLY UNTOUCHED for at least thirty minutes when they come out of the oven. They keep cooking after they come out and this let's the center set up properly.

My Pyrex glass pan is the only one that I never grease. Something about the glass seems to bring out the oils in what you cook. If you get a dark pan, grease it as usual.

• Like 5

I reduce the temp 25 degrees when I use Pyrex. I bake brownies in the 8x8 frequently, usually using the Ghirardeli mix from Costco. I usually swap melted butter for the oil, but that shouldn't matter. Alton Brown has a tip to bake 15 mins, remove 15 mins, then continue baking until done for really gooey brownies.

• Like 1

These are all good suggestions, but something else has to be wrong. You can not follow the instructions on the box and end up with such disastrous results. It is impossible. I think you need a brownie intervention. Do you have a 9 year old handy who can make them for you? You would have to leave the kitchen so as not to taint her brownies with your bad brownie mojo, but I am confident that said 9 yo would make perfect brownies. Maybe you could then figure out what you do differently.

• Like 4

How old was the mix? Freshly bought or sitting on the shelf a few months?

That's all I got, except maybe your brownies might be going into the oven either too thick or too thin.

I think a lot of us will be baking brownies today out of curiosity. :)

:)

I've been eyeing that box of brownie mix in the pantry. For science!!

• Like 4

I just want you to know that because I care about you, I'm going to bake brownies today...so I can hopefully figure out where you're going wrong.  We may even have to bake a few batches.

But for you, dear AmandaVT, I will try!

My best friend used to put chopped up Andes Mints in her brownies....they were so good.

• Like 5

Does the box give different directions for glass? I cannot remember. What are you doing to grease the pan? I usually use the spray can of Baker's Joy.

I like the suggestion to look at where the oven rack is.

ETA: I see you lowered the temp for glass, but not sure if the time is different as well?

Hrms. I don't think I do grease the pan for brownies. At all.

• Like 3

Tonight is the Survivor finale and keeping with tradition, I am making a dessert. Midweek dessert is a Big Deal here. Actually dessert at any time is a big deal. Anyway dh asked me what I was making and I replied,"brownies, of course!"  He just looked at me.  Oh...yeah...I have to remember that he doesn't read the forums here. 

King Arthur Flour's middle of the fence brownies are our favorite- kind of chewy, a little cake like...topped with some mini marshmallows and some ganache poured over the top...

• Like 3

By any chance are you using the same measuring cup for this? I have one measuring cup that is not accurate. It is off by a good bit but doesn't look like it until you compare it to another. Personally, I don't preheat the oven and use a silicone pan. They come out great- crisp along the edge and a good chewy, gooey like center. Also, instead of greasing the pan use the butter wrapper to wipe the pan. It adds just enough for things not to stick.

• Like 2

I just want you to know that because I care about you, I'm going to bake brownies today...so I can hopefully figure out where you're going wrong.  We may even have to bake a few batches.

But for you, dear AmandaVT, I will try!

My best friend used to put chopped up Andes Mints in her brownies....they were so good.

Let me know how they come out - I'll live vicariously through you Umsami!! Feel free to post pictures too, so I can drool over delicious brownies!

I started the oven, mixed the brownies and they did sit for a few minutes (maybe 5) while the oven finished pre-heating. I did start the oven first though. 

The box was new - I had purchased it yesterday afternoon and baked last night. It's a new kind to our store too, so it couldn't have been on the shelf that long. 

I examined them again this afternoon. I couldn't bear to throw them out right away - seems like such a waste! The bottom of the brownie is super oily (slick!) and the bottom 1/4 is hard as a rock. Then the top 3/4's is gooey - not good gooey with a light crust on top that looks normal. The edges going in about 1/2 inch or so are rock hard. Hard to cut with my very sharp chef's knife hard. DH couldn't gnaw through it last night. 

I used a quick spritz of Pam (regular with the red cap) on the bottom of the pyrex pan. Maybe it's the pan? Maybe I'm destined to not eat brownies? :-( 

• Like 1

Ver odd!

I am thinking it is your oven?

I have made a zillion boxes of Ghiradelli brownies in a glass pan and they always come out great.

I have used canola oil, coconut oil or butter. Farm eggs, or store eggs, room temp or cold. I buy the mix at Costco so it sits in my pantry for most of a year before I use all the packages. I grease the bottom of the pan, if I remember.

I make brownies from a box, despite the fact that I am mostly a from-scratch cook, because I have yet to find a recipe that is as good.

• Like 3

I don't think it's my oven - it's pretty new and bakes everything really well. 

I realized with all the help I'm getting with my brownie conundrum, the least I can do is share my favorite homemade brownie recipe (not that I can make it). It's my aunt's and they are amazing! I think she may have gotten it from an old Bon Appetit or something like that. She frosts them with her yummy homemade frosting and they are so good. 

1 stick butter

2 sq. unsweetened baking chocolate (2 oz total)

2 eggs

1 c. sugar

1 tsp vanilla

pinch salt (optional)

1/2 c. sifted flour

Melt 1 stick butter & 2 sq. unsweetened chocolate. Stir well and let cool. 

Whisk in 1 c sugar and add the 2 eggs, beaten and the vanilla. 

Stir in the sifted flour

Spread in buttered 8x8 pan. Bake 20-25 min at 350. 

• Like 1

I could almost swear I smelled brownies baking today. :)

Maybe turn the oven down 25 degrees for the next batch, and/or take them from the oven five minutes sooner. I swear my brownies look practically liquid when I remove them from the oven, then they firm up as they cool.

I couldn't make them today because it a soccer day, but I've got a box waiting for tomorrow. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't think it's my oven - it's pretty new and bakes everything really well. 

I realized with all the help I'm getting with my brownie conundrum, the least I can do is share my favorite homemade brownie recipe (not that I can make it). It's my aunt's and they are amazing! I think she may have gotten it from an old Bon Appetit or something like that. She frosts them with her yummy homemade frosting and they are so good. 

1 stick butter

2 sq. unsweetened baking chocolate (2 oz total)

2 eggs

1 c. sugar

1 tsp vanilla

pinch salt (optional)

1/2 c. sifted flour

Melt 1 stick butter & 2 sq. unsweetened chocolate. Stir well and let cool. 

Whisk in 1 c sugar and add the 2 eggs, beaten and the vanilla. 

Stir in the sifted flour

Spread in buttered 8x8 pan. Bake 20-25 min at 350. 

I'm wondering if the flour amount is right.  Mine makes a 9 by 13 pan and uses 2 sticks of butter,  2 1/4 cups sugar, 4 eggs (so far everything is doubled except the sugar) but instead of the chocolate squares it uses 1 1/4 c cocoa powder, and 1 1/2 cups of flour.   So mine cut in half would be 3/4 cup of flour. You might add a heaping tablespoon of flour to your recipe and see if that makes a difference. 

I really like the King Arthur cookbooks because they give measurements by weight and it's not only fast to use a scale, it's quite accurate. Especially when cooking with kids- boy did I learn that!

ETA: are you using self rising flour? I use all purpose and add baking powder and salt. I see no leavening in your recipe, so maybe your recipe doesn;t call for it. 

Edited by Annie G

Ondreeuh mentioned altitude up above (ha! no pun intended). I've noticed that makes a big difference here even when adding the extra bit of flour the box insists I add.  I am at a little over 5000 feet.Boxed brownie mix here never seems to cook on the inside and they don't rise much at all. This was a surprise because I've always found the mixes to be foolproof. Scratch brownies cook fine though.

Now I want brownies.

Edited by Peach2

Ondreeuh mentioned altitude up above (ha! no pun intended). I've noticed that makes a big difference here even when adding the extra bit of flour the box insists I add. I am at a little over 5000 feet.Boxed brownie mix here never seems to cook on the inside and they don't rise much at all. This was a surprise because I've always found the mixes to be foolproof. Scratch brownies cook fine though.

Now I want brownies.

That's weird, too. I'm at 6400 feet and make boxed brownies without issue. I rarely make any high altitude adjustments and tend to be a very good Baker.

OP, I hope you solve the mystery. I would buy another box and have someone else in the house make them.

My boys thank you. I am adding brownies to my list of Christmas baking.

Try preheating before you start getting out the bowls or anything. Reduce the temp 25 degrees for glass or dark pan, and check the brownies at 5 min under the time.

I swap oil for melted butter and use leftover coffee for the water to doctor up mixes. You're mixing by hand and not a mixer, right?

They came out!!! I think it was the pan! I'm not in love with the recipe I used (a little bland) but nothing crazy happened and I ended up with nice, slightly gooey brownies. Whew! Now to frost and put in a tin for my garbage man tomorrow!

Thank you for the help everyone! I'd send some through the computer if I could!

• Like 6