Menu

PSA About Kohl's return policy

Bambam

I purchased several items from Kohl's black friday sale.

Shipment was in several packages but there were problems with several items.

One Fiesta bowl was shipped in a plastic bag. You can imagine what shape it was in when I received it.

Two items were not even the correct items ordered.

So, it was easier to take them back to the store. Hassle-free returns, right?

BUT, did you realize if you added one of their extra discount codes on your purchase - that they will NOT return that portion of the sale price to you? Even though their shopping cart clearly stated that you can stack up to four discount codes, they would not return the extra 15% off.

So, they wanted me to buy $2.10 for a bowl they mispackaged and broke and would not exchange. I paid $14 for it. They returned $11.90. ???

They wanted me to pay $4.49 for two garments that were shipped incorrectly (close to the item I ordered but not the correct one, think size, color, etc wrong). 

This makes absolutely no sense. Unfortunately I was distracted at the return desk and didn't notice.

But I did when I got home and called to ask what was up. This apparently is standard practice for Kohl's. I expressed outrage that they were not going to return every penny of my money when they were the ones who had messed the order up. 

So, they will are applying a $10 credit to my bill. I would be happy with my $6.59 that they owed me. 

But if this is their standard way of doing business, I'll not be doing business with Kohl's again.

So, if you have to return anything to Kohl's, you might want to check to make sure they did credit you with your original purchase price and not some 'discounted' (i.e. upcounted would be the proper term) price. 

• Like 4

They sent me the wrong shirt when I placed an order a while ago. Even though it was their error, they said I would have to pay for the return shipping and that I'd have to return it at a store in person if I didn't want to pay for the shipping. Since I live over 2 hours from the nearest Kohl's, I complained about the policy on Twitter after unsuccessfully trying to get the situation resolved with two other so-called customer service reps. The Twitter rep, who must have a lot more authority than the normal ones do, credited my account for the cost of the shirt and told me to just keep it. I will still never order from them online again, as they didn't change the stupid return shipping policy.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 4

I've heard very negative stories about them.  I rarely buy from Kohl's and that is partly why.  About every other year I shop there for a pair of cheap dress shoes for my kids and that is all. They use them for performances and they only wear them maybe 4 times before they grow out of them.  For that, Kohl's seems to work well, lol. Oh, and the white button down shirts for boys. Again, only worn for recitals so maybe 4-6 times worn before outgrown.

Yeah that sounds pretty standard.  I'm in the don't buy anything you aren't totally sure about.  Or if you aren't sure don't use the special codes on it because it makes returns a nightmare.  That said we did buy 3 pairs of pants that we aren't sure about.  But they were paid for with Kohl's cash and I didn't have anything else I really wanted before they expired so I wasn't really losing anything with the gamble.

I had a similar experience before Black Friday. We ordered a Fiestaware dish (9x13 baking dish) and it arrived broken. We went to the store to exchange it; they had none in stock. I asked what to do about the return, because we had used a 40% off code! and it had been on sale, so a flat refund of what I paid wouldn't allow me to buy a new dish. Since it was broken in transit, not just me choosing something different, I was adamant I needed a replacement order sent, not just a store credit or refund.

They did it, but the girl at the return desk had to call the online customer service, have them talk to me, they placed a new order (charged me for it, but with the original discounts all applied), then had the return clerk in the store issue me a refund. I was baffled enough as to why they had to do it that way (and it came out about 20 cents different due to different tax rates or something), but now I am grateful I didn't have worse!

Sounds like success stories are limited...

• Like 1

I contacted them repeatedly after receiving the wrong pajamas a couple years ago. It never was resolved and they were so cheap (and the ones they say we're actually usuable) that I didn't pursue it further. But I had never ordered from them before and am not inclined to try again online. I don't live near many department stores but we happen to have one sort of nearby and I have never found a reason to go in.

Yes, we've had them mail us someone else's order and had to call corporate to get any refund at all. Horrible. We do shop at the store, though. The 30% off and cash is just too good of a deal on their clearance items. I just realize that if I return something, it needs to be a direct exchange or forget about it. 

• Like 1

I am one that raves about Kohls, but I will say I rarely purchase online. I cannot get near the prices on anything I get there anyplace else. I have walked out with so much free or close to free stuff by stacking coupons. On the rare occasion that I do need to return something, they will do an exchange for an item with the exact price. Sometimes that is harder to find, but not all that bad. Again, I have only purchased a bit online. I would expect a broken item to have a new one sent out. But I am a die hard kohls shopper.

How timely!! I have a story too!!

My DH ordered two sweaters from Kohl's because they had size "Large Tall" in a style he liked.

When the box came, it was huge, which I thought was weird for two sweaters..... yeah, it had ONE of the sweaters, and two other different orders in it- a few items for someone in Connecticut, and a few items for someone in Philadelphia (we are in Maryland).

I called the number and did get a very nice lady, who canceled the order for the second sweater, and asked if I wanted to re-order it, which I did- and she gave me free next day shipping, plus another 25% off the sweater. And then she asked me if I would bring the items I was shipped by mistake into any Kohl's store, and I said I would... she didn't ask the order #'s or names or anything for the other orders.

This was on Wednesday, and I haven't had time to bring them in- the only two Kohl's near me aren't near anything else I do, and I have been swamped- but I'm hoping to bring them in tomorrow- but I just keep thinking about those people and wonder if they are wondering about their stuff.

Yeah, I will never order anything from Kohl's online again.... I never really shop there anyways....

I don't like making returns with Kohl's cash attached, but I do like that I can do an even exchange for something that has the same original price, regardless of the current price.  If it's in increments of $5, that usually means I exchange for something from the jewelry department. 

Hmm...I am awaiting an order that I made on Black Friday - it is supposed to arrive by 8pm tonight. I do shop at kohls regularly (ours is nice, not comparable to a Walmart at all), but I don't know if I've ever ordered online before. Of course, I have a few Christmas gifts, along with a Fitbit HR that I bought myself as a birthday gift. Fingers crossed that my order gets here and is complete!

Kohls is one of my favorite stores, and where I buy the majority of clothes for my whole family. I've never had issues with my store. I do not buy online though. I've had to return some things that I had purchased with coupons and I don't recall the returns being difficult. I'm sorry to hear so many bad stories and I'm thankful my Kohls has been good for me.

Huh, I have returned all sorts of things to Kohl's and as long as I paid with my Kohl's charge I didn't even need a receipt.  I have never gotten less back than I paid for it.  And if I paid with KK, I could exchange it.

Once they didn't send me something and I called and they sent me two as a replacement.  I think it was a mistake on their part because after 2 hours on the phone with limited English speakers, they really didn't seem to understand the issue.  I had ordered 6 of something and only got 5, seemed simple to me, but I ended up with 7 of them.

My ds and dil used Kohl's gift registry for their wedding.  It was a mess.  People ordered their dishes and had them sent directly to our address as wedding gifts.  They kept arriving in pieces.  I think they took them back three or four times before they finally gave up and just picked dishes from what was available in the store.  I don't think they had any problems with the exchanges, just with the packaging.  One package had a full set of dishes with only one sheet of tissue paper between the pieces and then wrapped in one piece of bubble wrap in a box that was way too big.  Everything was just shattered by the time it arrived.  

I don't like making returns with Kohl's cash attached, but I do like that I can do an even exchange for something that has the same original price, regardless of the current price.  If it's in increments of $5, that usually means I exchange for something from the jewelry department. 

The Kohls in my area only considers it an even exchange if same brand, color, and style and of course the same price.