Menu

Ok, almost a month into school for most of us . . . What have been your winners???

jeri

For dd, 6th: Runkle Geography along with the Seterra computer game

For dd, 5th: Singapore Math, Reading Detective, Building Thinking Skills 2, Junior Analytical Grammar

For ds, 3rd: McCall-Crabbs two minute reads, Lively Latin (especially the stories)

For mom: Rightstart Math for my three youngest, age 8, 7, and 5; History Odyssey 2, Early Modern for my eldest since she can work on it on her own; Building Foundations in Scientific Thinking by Nebel (I'm surprised by how much I really like this! And even though it's for K-2, I'm sort of using it with my 5th on down)

Jeri

For 6th/8th

we are continuing on with many things, so no losers so far

Rod & Staff math

Analytical Grammar

Lively Latin - easy so far, but fun and doable : )

Figuratively Speaking

Jump In

Windows to the World

Tog 2 with Guerber

still waiting to see - Sonlight Science 5 & Apologia Physical Science

only loser was BJU science - which after looking at I returned without use - costly mistake (cbd charged me a 50$ restocking fee on both sets : (

Also not continuiing on with EG, want to switch to Hey Andrew

Real Winners~

6th: Chalk Dust Pre Algebra

Private Eye

K: Calvert Math 1

Phonics Pathways

I'm not sure I'd do Hake Grammar and Writing again. I think Shurley English does a better job with introducing and maintaining retention of grammar rules. I would add the dictation to Shurley. Both programs have weak writing assignments.

For me the biggest winner has been deciding to follow the Charlotte Mason method using the curriculum I already own. I have finally allowed myself to be in charge of my children's education instead of allowing the curriculum to be in charge of me.

As far a curricula goes, Tapestry of Grace hands down. I love it.

Michelle

Calvert 6th grade~loving it

Keystone High School ~loving it

Really makes me wonder why we didn't do this sooner!!! I think I was SO opposed to doing anything "schoolish", I couldn't see past my own prejudices to even give a pre-packaged curriculum a chance. But now that we are well on our way, it has been a wonderful, eye-opening experience for me AND my kids. They have a lot more work to do, but are enjoying the structure and they actually really like textbooks.

Robin

Wheelock's Latin (love it)

SWB's The History of the Ancient World

The Teaching Company's History of Ancient Egypt

Vocabulary from Classical Roots (not that it is loved for its own sake, but its value in terms of what my kids learn from it is huge)

Dolciani Algebra I

The Teaching Company's Understanding the Fundamentals of Music and How to Listen to and Understand Great Music--phenomenal for teaching music appreciation!

All 3 kids (DS9, DD6 and DD4) are enjoying:

"Come Look With Me: Modern Art". It's quick, simple art appreciation, with a few questions to get you thinking and talking. We could add more in with supplemental library materials, but don't really have time.

Old favorite for both older DC is of course.....SOTW!! (Vol 2 and Vol 4 this year).

:-) Stacey in MA

I enjoy these threads, too. Learn a lot from 'em!

We've been loving everything....

Saxon K has been great for us. It has a pretty bad rap out there, but for PreK (my son is 3) it's been great. The first few weeks were iffy - mostly playing with the manipulatives, which I didn't mind - but now we're getting into real concepts. Stuff the ds doesn't know and is actually learning.

Loving SWR - I get to go to a seminar this weekend which I am thrilled for.

LHTH is supposed to arrive in today's mail and we are looking forward to that, too.

9th/10th GRADE WINNERS (new to us):

- Abeka Consumer Math

- the Chortling Bard (grammar mechanics/word usage practice/review)

- made our own history (20th Century)

(great combo of several non-fiction texts; 4 "classic" works set in the 20th century; and historical fiction books)

- made our own literature (Worldviews in Sci-Fi Literature)

(great selection of 9 books and lit. guides)

- made our own electives

(allowing each student to develop personal interests!)

CONTINUING WINNERS:

- Megawords

- Winston Grammar (Advanced)

- Math-U-See (this year combined with Jacobs Algebra)

- "Great Books" study, ala WTM

(so far: Beowulf with Jeff Baldwin "The Great Books" study guide; and Macbeth with Parallel Text Shakespeare materials)

The only disappointments:

- Apologia Biology

Pretty dry with an overly "chatty" text; fewer experiments than we're used to, and many are not that interesting.

- Wordsmith Craftsman

Not quite what I expected -- a bit more difficult to put into practice than I expected; don't know if we'll adapt it, or try out Jensen's Format Writing or IEW Student Intensive C.

My 8th grader...

Wheelock's Latin

Traditional Logic

Teaching Company's Masterpieces of the Imaginative Mind: Literature's Most Fantastic Works

My 5th grader...

Only likes reading and isn't crazy about anything else. ;) She says she just wants workbooks.

My 2nd grader...

Hooked on Phonics

Song School Latin

CHOW

Bible Study Guide for All Ages - my girls are learning a lot - its got built in memory work and fun worksheets. I purchased New International Reader Versions of the bible written for 6-10 year olds and we read through the selected passages. I feel like we're doing bible and reading at the same time. It is great!

Saxon - I am really liking Saxon and my girls are doing great with it. I feel like they are getting a great foundation and I personally like that it is scripted.

All About Spelling - We are zipping through level 1, but my girls like the letter tiles and seems to be retainining quite a bit.

First Language Lessons Audio CD - This made a big difference in our enjoyment of FLL. My girls LOVE the pronoun song.

Song School Latin - very easy, very gentle introduction to Latin for my 2nd graders. Perfect for exposure.

Classical Conversations - my girls are thriving in the program. I am amazed at the amount of stuff they have been able to memorize and retain. I love the program and they enjoy it as well.

Biggest winner, so far:

Teaching the Classics -- love, love, love it and so do my kids.

Other winners:

Growing with Grammar

Key to Fractions (as a supplement to math curriculum)

Winter Promise American Story 2

Considering God's Creation -- I took one look at it when it arrived and thought, "Uh Oh." The kids, however, have liked and and talk about what they've learned.

IEW's Fables book

1st/4th

I've been pleasantly surprised with FLL1 for my 1st grader. It didn't work with my older son, but it seems to work well for my 2nd son. I also like the simplicity of WWE for him. Takes all the guess work out of what to do next.

Flashkids Spelling and Just Write is a winner with my 4th grader. We've also loved two new read-aloud books I want to mention: The Penderwicks and The Misadventures of Maude March!

For me the biggest winner has been deciding to follow the Charlotte Mason method using the curriculum I already own. I have finally allowed myself to be in charge of my children's education instead of allowing the curriculum to be in charge of me.

As far a curricula goes, Tapestry of Grace hands down. I love it.

Michelle

Same for me, on the CM. I am also using TOG, and while I can't say I love it, I can say we are learning history on a deeper level than we ever have before. Also literature for my older one, but that just plain hurts. :) I'm feeling the need to get a little more CM-ish there.

I haven't seen a whole lot for my 4th grader out of TOG that's much more than SOTW, but I like the flow of the weekly topics. I'm sure I'll see more when we get to US history in the second half of the year. She's just tagging along for the TOG ride. Wait - the writing. I like that - Writing Aids. This one's mostly CM-ish.

5th grade, we are on week 4...

Winners

Latin for Children A - a great fit for my wiggly boy

Greek Alphabet Code Cracker - we got this Monday and he has begged to do it for the last two day. Um, OK.

Singapore Math - drives him batty, but makes him think

Classical Writing Aesop B - my son writes without balking. :D

Latin-Centered Curriculum - this framework has saved my sanity

Not losers, but not working so well

God's Design Science - Chemistry - not meaty enough for my science hungry guy. I am switching a PH Physical Science book for middle school

Our Old Testament Study - Not sure he is mature enough for in depth discussion or simply feels like we've heard the same stories over and over. Undecided whether to tweak to push through with plan.

Winners from last year that continued on to this year:

Singapore math

Biggest winner this year

Beautiful Feet Ancient History-love it.

Other great winners:

Latin Road to English

Mind Benders

Writing activities from Mrs. Renke's 4th grade http://www2.redmond.k12.or.us/mccall/renz/bookprojects.htm

Ok but not spectacular would be the reader's digest science. I am adding stuff to it but my son LOVES science so it isn't a surprise. We also feel kinda lukewarm to the Music book, my son likes listening to the cd but not reading the text.

I have a Prentice hall science explorer on the body to try for half the year for science but we haven't gotten into it yet.

Flops that have already been overturned:

Language Arts Through Literature

Artpac

New this year:

Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings - I'm using this w/some expansion, to teach a co-op class

Latin For Children A - dd9 was so anxious to follow her sister into Latin

and this has been a great starting place.

French Prep 1 - dd13 did so well w/ Latin Prep that we decided to try their French program. So far it's tres bien!

MUS Gamma/Delta - got dd9 over her math phobia, so I'm sold!

Geography Trails - World - A great way to end our day! Both girls love doing this!

Something we continued from last year:

Latin Prep 2 - dd13 loved Latin Prep 1, so we are continuing with it.

Here are winners!!!

Sonlight (14yo, 8yo, 6yo)

Trail Guide to US Geography (14yo, 8yo)

Sonlight Science (14yo, 8yo)

Teaching Textbooks (8yo)

CLE Math (14yo)

Abeka Math (6yo)

Pathway Readers (6yo)

Handwriting Without Tears (8yo, 6yo)

LLATL (14yo, 8yo)

Lial's College Algebra (17yo)

Visual Manna's Master Drawing (17yo)

Great

Math: Math-U-See DD that always cried over math is actually doing it (and perhaps enjoying it) Well worth the investment

Writing: Potters School writers workshop online. dd LOVES this class so far

Geography: Trail Guides We like this a lot. She's learning a lot and it's not painful.

Latin: Latin in the Christian Trivium online. DD loves the teacher and class

Logic: Fallacy Detective & critical thinking. going well. wish we did these Years ago.

OK so far

History: Kingfisher I feel like I should have more of a list of related readings by time period and reading level. The time line is a lot of fun

Grammar: Rod & Staff DD's not thrilled but I think it's ok

Science: Apologia Phy Sci. I've heard it's good but we havent gotten very far yet??

My daughter is in 7th grade, and our winner, and a big surprise to us is Time4Learning Language Arts. My daughter is learning to take notes when she watches the lessons, which is an invaluable skill. The content hits all the standards, and is presented in a fun way.

Always a winner for us, and something I've returned to this year after trying a California Standards curriculum (Math Steps - Hate it!) is Singapore math.

We haven't delved into everything yet, but so far big hits are:

Nallenart Conversational French (we're all digging it:D)

The Story Hat (book of African folk stories--thanks Kalanak for listing it on your bottom curr. caption! we love it)

CHOW

NAC Handwriting (so far we're just tracing A's, but it's going better than I thought it would)

New favorites -

OPGTR - DS and I are loving it.

Building Thinking Skills - All three ask for it.

Audio CDs for SOTW Vol 1 - DD just discovered this and can't stop talking about it. She listens to it every night in bed.

GWG

Old favorites we are continuing with -

MUS and ETC - all three are doing them this year.

Struggling thru -

Apologia Botany - I am enjoying it but the kids are less excited.

We are starting Sonlight Core 1 on Monday. We'll see.... I'm excited but worried about keeping up with the schedule.

MUS- I've hesitated trying this before, because I wanted to teach them, not have a video do it. But it's perfect for wiggly DD, and the other two want to do it too, so I'm about to order the student set for Primer and Gamma also. They love the blocks, the video, everything. Glad I finally took the plunge and bought it.

David and Sarah Hebrew- Been searching for years for a good way to teach hebrew. This is so much fun! And makes it easy where it's always been a struggle.

We haven't done everything yet either. But here is what we have so far...

Winner's so far.....

Lightning Lit

Trail Guide :World

Fallacy Detective

Sing, Spell, Read & Write

RightStart A

Kindergarten Animal Study (downloaded this. It is a free curriculum)

Draw Squad

kinderbach

Still deciding.....

Analytical Grammar (We have only done the 1st unit but I think this will be moved to the winners section)

Galore Park Sci 2 (I am not really sure what to do with this...besides read and answer the questions..it is a good book but I am just lost)

Sonlight (I love to books and questions but I wish there was more things to do...I was hoping for more activities or something.)

13yo dd's faves:

Analytical Gram

Breaking the French Barrier

VideoText (on Alg. Mod C right now)

Apologia Biology

She likes TOG, but feels swamped by all the reading right now...but says she'll get used to it, because she likes how much she is learning. She is doing Rhetoric level, year 2.

10yo dd's faves:

MUS Epsilon

TOG (Upper Grammer level this year)

Apologia Botany

She doesn't like her CLE Language Arts, but she never likes Language Arts. She is however, learning a TON. Knows more about grammer than pretty much any kid her age in town! Lol!

The rest of them seem to take things as they come and enjoy or not enjoy, based more on the day and mood, rather than the material. Personally, I'm happy with everything we chose this year. If things continue at this rate, we won't change anything next year.

Our biggest winners so far this year have been...

-Tapestry of Grace (yr 1 redesign)

-Math U See (primer, Alpha)

-Explode the Code

-First Language Lessons

-Writing with Ease

-TeachTown for ds w/autism