Menu

Read alouds with humor?

Any suggestions for books to read aloud to elementary ages that are fairly light and wholesome (ie, not dark or bathroom humor), but with humorous events or dialogue?

We've been reading the Grandma's Attic series at bedtime, laughing at all Mabel's antics, and I've realized how nice that is for a change of pace from our schoolish read alouds. Any ideas come to mind?

Half Magic - I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when I read this aloud. Warning, your child may speak in the cat's half- language for many years after reading this book! Iddle dwiddle bix-bax is a common expression of frustration here and when provoked my dc are inclined to shout, "Idjwit-foo!" at one another.

Owls in the Family - simply hilarious

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

Early elementary, late elementary, or mixed? I have a preliminary list in my head, but I can tailor it.

PICKLE by Kim Baker (honestly, never sure of the capitalization or if I should include subtitle)

Year of the Dog

How Lamar's Big Prank Won a Bubba-Sized Trophy

Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer (if you can figure out how to do an epistolary novel as a read aloud. Get it anyway, this book is great)

The Grand Plan to Fix Everything

The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

How Tia Lola Came to Stay

Ninjas, Piranhas, and Galileo

The Monster in the Mudball

Swindle

Clementine

The Ramona books (naturally)

The Sasquatch Escape

The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit

The Boys Start the War

The Big One Oh

Sky Jumper (does have villains)

The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher

The Exiles

Dealing with Dragons

Scumble

Mars Evacuees (does deal with some serious subjects)

Which Witch? (And really, most of Ibbotson's fantasies)

The Great Brain

Cosmic, by Frank Cottrell Boyce

A Long Way From Chicago (and Peck's other historical books)

101 Ways to Bug Your Parents

Smells Like Dog

The Great Greene Heist (maybe geared a little older than your kids)

Cat Girl's Day Off (ditto)

These books all are fairly lighthearted, with a good handful of funny moments.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2

The Great Turkey Walk (says ages 10-14, but we did it as a read aloud when the oldest was in 3rd, so 3rd & down on age).

By the Great Horned Spoon  (says 8-12, but that's another one we did when the kids were young)

School read alouds don't have to be boring or a drudgery.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

Oh my, if you like Grandma's Attic, you'll love Little Britches. It's a series of books, actually an autobiography of the life of Ralph Moody who moves out to CO as a young boy. It's exciting and fun and than thinking of how it's all true! Wow. And then to just make a good book great, his father is full of great wisdom and truth and spends the time truly teaching it all to his son. Beautiful. 

Ok, now I need to go grab our copy and read a chapter of Grandma's attic to my girls each night. Thanks for the suggestion there.

• Like 1

I second Hand the Cowdog.  So funny!  We're a fourth generation ranching family and it's so obvious to me that this author really knows his stuff and has a great gift to see the humorous side of life - all through the eyes of a well-meaning cowdog.  he audible books versions are very well done!

• Like 1

This book was popular in my house ~

Chuck and Danielle by Peter Dickinson

"Chuck is a whippet. A very nervous whippet, who's scared of absolutely everything: paper bags, pigeons, supermarket trolleys, cats (even the little fluffy ones). Some people say Chuck's a wimpet, not a whippet, and Mum keeps pretending she's going to give Chuck away, but Danielle loves her scaredy-cat whippet and knows that there's more to Chuck than meets the eye...Seven funny, charming and totally whippet-friendly stories from Peter Dickinson, the winner of several major awards for his books for young readers - and the owner of three whippets!"

From Booklist

Gr. 3^-6. This clever episodic story set in England introduces Danielle and her dog, Chuck. A well-bred, high-strung whippet, Chuck is not just nervous but downright terrified of everything from cats to pigeons to stuffed animals to paper bags. Each chapter involves Danielle and Chuck in a different set of circumstances (foiling a purse snatcher, setting loose a herd of cows, befriending an unpromising new neighbor), and each ends with a running joke about Danielle's desire to see Chuck save the universe. Woven into the story is the recurring theme of Danielle's curiosity about her father's identity. When her dad makes a cameo appearance near the end of the book, Danielle finally discovers answers to her questions and learns why he has never been part of her life. Although the book has its thoughtful moments, the tone never stays serious for long. The staccato writing is eminently readable, the depictions of Chuck's weird worldview are perceptive, and many of the scenes are laugh-out-loud funny. Absolutely entertaining both for kids reading alone or for parents and teachers reading aloud. Carolyn Phelan

Regards,

Kareni