Menu

Gifts for 16/17 year old nieces

lynn

Scarves are in right now, either light cotton ones for warmer weather or knit ones for cold.  A small duffle bag for an overnight.  Leggings, or thigh-high socks.  Smartwool socks for either every day (so they are lighter) or being outside in the cold (so they are thicker).  A small wallet type purse with a shoulder strap.  (Basically a wallet with a shoulder strap.)  Flannel pajama pants.  A polar fleece zip-up sweatshirt.  If they are into art, a sketch pad with nice colored pencils or water color paint.  I could go on and on, given I rather recently had 4 teenage girls.  :)

• Like 1

T-shirts

Who wouldn't love these? We have several and they are soft and you can actually read the words!

http://www.litographs.com/

Love these too!

http://www.outofprintclothing.com/

And don't forget Mental Floss (not all their items are appropriate, but their t-shirts are fun)

http://store.mentalfloss.com/apparel/

I think it really depends on the teens. My nieces would have absolutely hated those things, because their taste was completely different. They wouldn't have been caught dead in printed t-shirts because it wasn't their style at all. I know a lot of teens would probably love them, though! :)

Basically, what I'm saying is that it can be tough to buy for teen girls unless you already know what they like.

In the $20-30 price range, it can be difficult, particularly if the girls prefer designer things, so I would probably give them cash inside a cute card so they can put the money toward something they really want.

• Like 1

At these ages I think cash is the most appreciated? Clothing? Color, how it fits, style...no. Makeup? Do they like it, need it at the time? I speak of experience with my oldest...so many times we gave her something, but it didn't fit well, wasn't her style, even if it was something (a gift card etc) for certain place...sometimes the cash for something else at the time would have been preferred. What about cash and their super favorite candy :)

I am the mother of three teen girls, and two nieces that practically live here.  Even knowing them as well as I do, I can no longer buy clothes for them that I know they'll like! lol.  Same goes for books and jewelry.  

Gift cards to the movies (Regal, etc.), Starbucks, or iTunes have all been the most appreciated.  My MIL often buys them all colorful mismatched socks or some of those inexpensive gloves to go with gift cards, and those seem to go ok as well.  

• Like 1

I agree, this can be a tough age! Last Christmas, I gave several credit card holders from mywallit.com. The colors are fun and different, and there are several styles to choose from. Even handbag carrying girls often appreciate something small and slim enough to hold a credit card, an ID, and a few bills that will slip into a pocket with a cell phone,

The wallets are much pricier, but most of the credit card holders for your price range. Some are available on Amazin, too.

Giftcards--Starbucks, itunes, Ulta--would be most appreciated by my 17 yo from someone who didn't know her well.

Fuzzy gloves and socks are also a pretty safe bet with her.

My daughter and her friends love their Vera Bradley wristlets. You can find them for around $30 if you shop around. A solid color would be a safer bet if you don't know their preferences.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PXXXM6?psc=1

Do they have a Kohl's where they live?  If so, I would buy them some sterling silver earrings, on sale right now at low prices.  http://www.kohls.com/catalog/fine-sterling-silver-earrings-jewelry.jsp?CN=4294722253+4294736387+4294719445+4294719765&S=1&PPP=60 Even if they don't like them, with a gift receipt they could return them for the cash or do an even exchange for a different pair they do like that has the exact same original amount, whether those are on sale at the time or not.  You would want to tell them that, though, because if they return for cash and then try to buy something else, they won't be able to purchase something as nice unless it's on sale.

Things that my daughter would have enjoyed at that age:

Gift certificate to a book store, craft store, Trader Joe's

A juggling set

Chocolate

She doesn't wear make-up or jewelry and an i-tunes card would just gather dust.  She also has allergies so fragrances (lotions, perfumes, etc) would be re-gifted.  Clothing store gift certificates would also fall flat in her case.

If you can't get specific suggestions from the parents, I'd suggest cash.

Regards,

Kareni