Menu

What are the top 2-5 things that you really want your kids to learn?

1. To love the Lord with all their hearts, souls, minds, and strength, and how to live in this world as a Christian.

2. How to learn and think for themselves, and not believe everything they hear, no matter what the source.

My method of teaching is simply holding all things up to the Word of God, and living what I want them to learn. My only method of "testing" is constant observation.

1. To love the Lord with all their hearts, souls, minds, and strength, and how to live in this world as a Christian.

2. How to learn and think for themselves, and not believe everything they hear, no matter what the source.

My method of teaching is simply holding all things up to the Word of God, and living what I want them to learn. My only method of "testing" is constant observation.

:iagree:

:iagree: Couldn't have said it better!

If restricted to only a 2-5 things, they must necessarily be broad concepts.

When it comes to 'school' as separate from life I don't include religious beliefs since those are part of life whether or not we homeschool or whether or not we are doing school that day etc.

As for academic subjects, apart from 'learning to love learning', the top 5 things I'd like my children to learn are:

1. Reading with fluency, comprehension and pleasure.

2. Mental arithmetic.

3. Writing with fluency and style.

4. A sense of history.

5. Latin.

I agree with the above posts that the only testing necessary is close observation.

1. First and foremost we want to raise children equipped to stand firm on the Word of God. We want them to know it, apply it to their lives, expound upon it to others, defend attacks against it, and commune with the Holy One through it.

2. We want to provide an academically rigorous education that far exceeds what is available in the public education system.

Really, it's these two things that are the main thing. Both are quite broad. Constant observation as well as reflection will certainly be the most often used method of evaluation. But academic subject tests as well as evaluation of school work, especially in the older grades, will be important to me as well. I also intend to use standardized testing.

1. That God loves them even in their imperfection.

2. That they are a unique individual and their life does not have to look like everyone else. (I guess what I'm thinking there is if they want to travel the world with a backpack and pair of hiking shoes, go for it. Not every American has to have a 30 year mortgage, an SUV, and shop at Walmart.)

3. People are more important than stuff.

4. Being your parent doesn't stop at 18 or 21. We will always be there should you need us.

5. Life is hard, not always fair. Learn to handle adversity with grace, patience, tenacity, and never give up.

Not necessarily academic pursuits, so I'll add upper level science and communication are two of my goals.

This is a pretty open-ended question. I am really curious what it is that you want your kid(s) to learn as you homeschool. Grammar, belief in God, ability to learn, French? Please be specific. And how do you teach them/ test them so that you know you've been successful?

To read well enough to enjoy it. To enjoy it well enough to teach themselves anything they want to know for the rest of their lives. To understand WHY math works rather than just plugging in numbers.

Everything else is just individualized content.

Barb

1. I want to help my kids think logically and think for themselves.

2. I want to help my kids learn to communicate clearly and effectively (in writing and in speech), to discuss ideas intelligently and logically.

3. I want to expose my kids to great works of art, great books, and great music to hopefully inspire a deep appreciation for beauty.

4. I want to help my kids learn about history in a chronological and orderly way so that they can learn from past civilizations and can understand our own place within humanity. I want them to have an understanding that our time period is not necessarily better or more progressive than others simply because it came after them. I want them to be able to learn from the successes, failures, and mistakes of those who have gone before us.

5. I want to help my kids find their own interests and passions so that as they grow up they can choose experiences and, perhaps someday, professions that allow them to use their unique gifts and talents in a productive and fufilling way. I want them to have a continuing curiousity and to keep learning and growing throughout their lives.

Not trying to be snarky, but what if these two are mutually exclusive? I've seen it happen with many children of religious parents. If your child thinks for himself and decides to reject religion, will you feel you have failed or succeeded?

Not trying to be snarky, but what if these two are mutually exclusive? I've seen it happen with many children of religious parents. If your child thinks for himself and decides to reject religion, will you feel you have failed or succeeded?

I will simply feel that it is the Lord's will. Our best laid plans cannot trump His sovereign will. But I must obey Him regardless of the outcome.

I would LOVE if my girls, through homeschooling, would gain:

1. A compassionate worldview.

2. A love of learning that lasts their entire lives.

3. A sense that they have the ability to contribute significantly in their communities and in the world in their own unique and wonderful ways.

4. The ability to communicate effectively with (and enjoy real relationships with) as many different types of people as possible (different religions, cultures, socioeconomic backgrounds, languages).

5. A solid grounding in our Christian faith, a meaningful relationship with God, and a deep sense of his purpose in their lives.

6. A strong work ethic and resourcefulness.

I guess that was more than 5..... :tongue_smilie:

1. To love the Lord with all their hearts, soul, mind and strength. This has to be caught more than taught - I believe! So, lots of praying for this one!

2. Mental, physical and emotional rigor: i.e deep thinkers, self-discipline, perseverance & fortitude.

This has kept me thinking today - the first one comes easy - It's always been a goal for us.

1. Ambition. Ambition to try things without being afraid. To pursue the big dreams as well as the little things. Ambition to master something, follow what calls them, create what they envision.

2. Observation. Remember to watch and think. Use the information that is all around us. Make connections. Understand a deeper thread throughout existence.

3. Philosophy. Develop a personal moral code that jibes with their hearts as well as the world around them - and the hard part - living by it.

4. Joy. Finding the things that give it all meaning. The things that (to quote a friend) make the stars shine a little brighter & the air smell a little sweeter.

5. For number five I'll throw in academics. That is why we need school, right? ;)

This is my sentiment EXACTLY!!!

As we each have an individual free will given by God, this is always a possibility. When my children, family, etc., do things that are contrarty to our belief system & teachings, I have to rely on Isaiah 55:11 ~

"...... it (God's Word) shall not return unto me void, but it SHALL accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

Very legitimate question and concern, but we must realize as parents, we have no control over how our kids turnout. We can only do our best to instill a respect for and love of God and allow the Holy Spirit to do the rest.

2. I love you, no matter what.

3. Speak grammatical English, or I will love you by grounding you for the rest of your miserable life.

4. Write coherent sentences, or I will love you by making you write until your hand falls off.

5. People are screw-ups. Muddle through the best you can.

And a bonus:

6. Credit cards, lotteries, and pyramid schemes are for people who can't add. Learn to add.

This is a pretty open-ended question. I am really curious what it is that you want your kid(s) to learn as you homeschool. Grammar, belief in God, ability to learn, French? Please be specific. And how do you teach them/ test them so that you know you've been successful?

1) To develop a Biblical understanding of God and their faith (all but the youngest of my kids have accepted Christ as Savior; that's obviously a precursor to this)

2) How to truly study something

3) I want them to have a firm grasp of as much of the fundamentals of the English language as possible

4) How to evaluate the logic of statements and arguments

5) I hope to instill in them a healthy work ethic, and a belief that you really can do/accomplish almost anything if you set your mind to it, and work hard.

These are the five things that are most important to me, for them to learn. The list is much longer, but I hold these at the top.

As to the 'how', well...we have a very simple, streamlined formal academic focus. A lot of stuff falls into the 'busy work' category for me, that probably wouldn't for many here.

Work and responsibility is a big focus. We give increased freedoms when we increase responsibilities, and the hope is that this gives responsibilities a good connotation in their minds.

The study of logic is a priority.

Talking about our faith is a priority.

I encourage them to dream and pursue interests. I try and follow my dreams, and pursue my interests. (This addresses both number 2 and number 5).

This was a great question...thanks for making me think about this.

1. Follow Jesus, no matter what

3. Speak grammatical English, or I will love you by grounding you for the rest of your miserable life.

4. Write coherent sentences, or I will love you by making you write until your hand falls off.

And a bonus:

6. Credit cards, lotteries, and pyramid schemes are for people who can't add. Learn to add.

I love it! :lol:

1. What it means to truly be a disciple of Christ.

After that, the rest is just fluff:

1. Grammar and Writing

2. Spelling

3. Public Speaking

If they can do those 3 well, they'll be effective communicators, which is huge.

4. Logic

5. History

Algebra is helpful too ;)

1. Morals and how you present yourself (including the way you talk) DO matter.

2. All that math is is the manipulation of numbers (its less scary if you see it that way).

3. That you can learn anything you want or go anywhere you want through books (Yes there is a time machine. It's called a book.)

4. That you are your only obstacle when it comes to life as we know it.

1) To never judge, but always accept all people with an open mind and open heart, no matter their religion or lack thereof, race, politics or other beliefs, physical or mental challenges, differences or similarities, position in life, etc.

2) To always work towards doing as much good as she can for people, animals, the Earth, etc, not for any type of recognition, but because it is the right thing to do.

3) To respect every living thing equally, and to demonstrate that respect in the way she lives her daily life.

4) An understanding and love for God and religion and an openness for all religions and philosophies, condemnation for none.

5) A love for learning, and a thirst for knowledge.

One thing I don't care about teaching her is the ambition for great wealth just for the sake of wealth. I've had both sides, and, while being poor is certainly not something I'd recommend, I can honestly attest to the fact that money does not buy happiness.

1. Trust can be easy to loose but hard to earn back.

2. Do not make mtns our of mole hills. (my fil is bad about doing this)

3. When something goes wrong or bad days happen for them to remember that "This to shall pass".

4. When it comes to research papers or big projects for school I remind them...A little each a day will get you an "A". In other words do not procrastinate or get overwhelmed on big projects work on it a little bit each day rather than cramming the last few days. (I wish I learned this one instead of staying up until 4A the day before something is due).

5. The world can be so unkind so be kindest to each other.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have 7.

1. Courage (To stand up for themselves and anyone else who needs it, especially when doing so requires a necessary going against the rules.)

2. Curiosity

3. Manners and enough tact to get through life (I admit they probably won't learn quite enough tact from me.)

4. Critical thinking skills

5. Excellent reading and writing skills.

6. Research skills.

7. Domestic and basic handyman skills.

How to teach these things? A nice combination of providing example, learning together and um, "encouragement" when required.

:)

Rosie

i'm going to keep it to mostly academics here:

1. math skills--thinking conceptually and ability to apply to everyday and scientific problems

2. composition skills--ability to argue persuasively, compose beautifully, comfort with the written word

3. bible literacy

4. read & think critically; listen well, ask questions of others and themselves, speak confidently; wonder & pursue

5. tolerance & respect for cultural differences; respect & appreciation for the environment, animal life, and human welfare

1. The verse in my signature. To know the Scriptures which are able to make thee wise unto salvation. This is why everything we learn is based upon Scripture, which we hold to be absolute truth.

2. 1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear. This obviously necessitates an ability to think, live, speak, and write well.

3. To be a faithful steward of God's resources which would require knowledge of mathematics and science.

Very thoughtful and philosophical responses from everyone.

And yet, I kept thinking the number one goal for my kids would be to know how to do:

Laundry and basic housekeeping!! :lol:

My real homeschooling goal is to send out into the world young men who are:

1. Inquisitive and engaged in the world around them, people for whom learning never ends

2. Able to communicate effectively, thoughtfully, clearly, and logically

3. Kind, helpful, courteous and full of grace

and

4. Able to be happy living within their means

:)

Success. (cheesy grin)

1.) Good grown-ups. I want my kids to become compassionate, thoughtful adults capable of assessing logically any quandry in which they may find themselves, of dealing kindly with others, and of representing firmly, articulately -- without condescension or rancor -- what they believe. I want them to reach their full potentials in social, academic, and professional areas -- and I realize that their choices may not bring them bright lights or even my tacit approval. I don't care. If they work hard to maximize what they've been given and can do so with a clear conscience I'll consider my mothering venture a raging success.

2.) The details of this (academia) are another matter entirely. For that I need to clone myself and rewrite a little family history, not to mention hiring a full time cook (nutrition), a nurse (Q), and a governess (to keep me on track with the planned trajectory for the kids). Subjects ideally include: two foreign languages, higher maths, grammar, vocabulary, writing, history, geography, current events, easy familiarity with the basics of all branches of science, at least two muscial instruments, fun/confidence with a variety of media (art), a working knowledge of several artists and local museums/galleries, a little sewing, cooking, carpentry, how to change a flat and do basic car/home repairs, perhaps some HTML, C++, Java, whatever. Plus an ability to speak to relevant passages in literature and the Bible (as opposed to misquoting either in order to support personal proclivity). And I hope (pray) that faith is central to their filtration of all things.

(Gasping for air)

My greatest joys are when my kids are "caught" self-regulating in time management, good judgement, spontaneous kindness, or hard work. And I hope those opportunities just continue to grow as they do.

Thanks for the chance to think a little on this -- It's helpful to take time to think on the bigger goals, isn't it? Sometimes I lose that focus in the midst of the push to get all the stuff done, you know? I'm going to print and keep this so I can have something (hard copy) to check my everyday stuff against.

Blessings.

Edited by Mama Bear
clarity

I'm not looking at any other answers so I'll probably miss some good ideas. :)

1) to have open minds (the 14yo is there; the 12yo is still very black and white)

2) not to judge (this kind of goes with #1) or stereotype

3) the secret of their happiness

4) how to constantly grow

5) love

And a bonus:

I'm seriously considering writing you in for president -- or maybe you'd move tot he other coast and be our governor?? :D

1. To love and serve God with their whole hearts

2. To have a comprehensive and thorough knowledge of His Word

3. To be critical thinkers

4. To love learning and reading

5. To find their strengths and giftings and to have the desire and determination to pursue professional goals accordingly

1. That God loves them even in their imperfection.

2. That they are a unique individual and their life does not have to look like everyone else. (I guess what I'm thinking there is if they want to travel the world with a backpack and pair of hiking shoes, go for it. Not every American has to have a 30 year mortgage, an SUV, and shop at Walmart.)

3. People are more important than stuff.

4. Being your parent doesn't stop at 18 or 21. We will always be there should you need us.

5. Life is hard, not always fair. Learn to handle adversity with grace, patience, tenacity, and never give up.

Not necessarily academic pursuits, so I'll add upper level science and communication are two of my goals.

Those are great, Paula!!

After God first, I'm teaching life skills (how to make a bed, wash dishes, clean, make a meal, darn a sock, etc) in addition to hometeaching (book learning...aka homeschooling). :001_smile:

You've gotten great responses, so rather than repeat what some have said I'll add one thing.

For my girls, I really want for them to get out on their own and learn how to support themselves independently before getting married and starting a family. Ideally, I'd like them to get their college degree and be self-supporting before they marry and start a family, but I'm not going to insist they go to college. I just really hope they will.

I've seen so many marriages break up and ex-wives end up either in poverty or almost in poverty trying to work and raise their dc after having dropped out of college or with just a high school degree and no work experience to fall back on. Or I've seen ladies in abusive situations stay because they feel trapped and scared with nowhere to go and no way to support themselves and their dc. It's just heartbreaking, and I don't want that for my dd's.