Menu

Pants/jeans for super skinny girls-- any ideas?

Shellydon

My 11 yo DD is very thin and quite tall.  At nearly 5'4", she is too tall for size 16 slim adjustable waist jeans and pants.  She is too skinny for the next size, which is 00 juniors, as they do not have an adjustable waist.  Jeggings fall off of her as do regular leggings.  In order for the leggings to fit (size 10), they are mid calf length, which doesn't work.  Any ideas of where else we could shop for jeans or pants for thinner girls?

Thanks!

Different stores run differently in pants.  Size 00 at American Eagle fits my dd, but the same size elsewhere is too big.  (But then she buys the size 0 because she doesn't like them to actually touch her. Plus, honestly, she'd rather wear dresses.)

Also, I know this is an unpopular comment, but if you know how to sew you can have perfectly fitting clothes, whether you start from new fabric or alter.

• Like 1

Old Navy is way too big, they just fall off.  Aeropostale are too big as well.  Sigh.   I don't sew.  I have a good machine, but sewing makes me break out in hives and throw things.  :)   

I can look for someone to alter them.  All of my girls are skinny, but so far the size 00 jegging has fit when they hit this point.  This 11 yo is just extra thin. 

I think my skinny kid isn't as skinny as yours (5'2" 90 lbs). Just this year she is now big enough for 000 jeggings at Aeropostale and 00 jeggings at American Eagle. What she wears most is Nike running shorts (kid medium though I'm starting to get her some kid larges). Anything with a drawstring is good. She'll wear sweats over them to attend her two public school classes, and she usually grabs the kid mediums and larges that are too short. But I was very excited to find that she now fits adult x-small at the Nike outlet and she now has one pair of sweats that are actually long enough to almost touch the ground. They do have a drawstring--otherwise they wouldn't work.

The beauty of getting jeans/pants altered is that is eliminates the never-ending search which takes a lot of time.  I am tall and very thin so pants just. do. not. fit. ever.  Now I don't sweat it.  I find what style/color I want and go for length and leg fit knowing my alterations person will fix the waist.  So much less time and pressure.  Yes, I have to go to the alterations place, often twice, but it is still so much less time than running all over trying on pants with a .01% success rate.

The only jean I have had any luck with is certain styles of Express that can only be ordered online.  Old Navy is ALL way too big in the waist as are AE and Aero.  It is so frustrating.  I live in jeans every single day so am always on the lookout.  I feel bad that I passed this wonderful problem on to my dd.  She can still wear the larger girls' sizes but the adjusters have to be cinched up so much that they look ridiculous and are very uncomfortable.  The alterations person just take the whole thing out and sews to fit.

penny's has tall sizes. (online only.)  I'd order 2dd jeans from them in jr or misses tall sizes. at 5'4", she's tall enough for jr sizes.  they worked for her.  I recall the sears girls slim sizes were still too "fat" for her.  (do try different brands - some run 'fat', and other's run slim.

have you tried old navy slim sizes in the skinny style?

I agree, it's not hard to make a waistband pair of pants adjustable.  annoying, but relatively simple.  I've had to do that for dudeling.

American Eagle runs the smallest. My dd is 5'11" and 105 lbs. She wears AE's smallest size in X long, I think there's even XXlong. Only one of the AE styles fit her. Old Navy has a size 18 in kids, online only that still has adjustable elastic waist. I used to sew elastic in my older DD's jeans, but younger one is pickier.

I have had success with Forever21 0 long. I was 100lbs and 5'7". After kids I weigh more and wear a bigger size now but still get the long there because I still have no butt and the cut of those juniors jeans hugs what little tush I have rather than looking baggy and saggy. At 5'4", your dd could probably get a 0 regular length.

DD wore AE 00 long at that age.  If you can't find them in the store, you can order online and return to the store.  They were a smidge loose until she started to get hips, but she found that if she wore tights under them, it helped a lot. 

You also may try Hollister.  DD wore those in a 00 long or AE for the tween years. At 17yo,  5'8" 120lbs, Hollister size 3 long (or Miss Mes) are her go-to jeans.  Hollister has $25 sales on their jeans all the time, so if they aren't on sale when you go to buy them, make sure to get on their text list. At least once a month, they are $25 for the more common cuts of their jeans.  

The Hollister super skinnys, are very tight, super stretchy, thick like a jean (can't see panty lines etc like a legging), and are a very popular style right now.  It is much easier to get a good fit for skinny girls when skinny cuts are in style, vs when it was bell bottom/wide boot cuts.  

• Like 3