Menu

Dinnerware recommendations

TeenagerMom

We have had enough place settings of our non-replaceable dinnerware break that it's time to buy a new set.

I am looking for something fun (like different colors I can mix & match)

Microwave safe (like doesn't get HOT in the microwave because we use it frequently)

Dishwasher safe

Not to worried about oven safe.

Yes to Fiestaware! We got 3 place settings last year at Christmas and I am eager to add more this year. Re the microwave issue: I've found that if  I'm microwaving for a couple of minutes or less, it doesn't get too hot. In fact, I can't remember when it felt too hot after getting it out of the microwave. However, your microwave may be a different setting.

I got Fiestaware 2 years ago and LOVE it!  

I didn't like the sets.  They typically come with a dinner plate, a tiny dessert plate, a small bowl, a saucer and a small mug.

I wanted:

dinnerplate

salad plate (larger than dessert plate)

small cereal bowl

large soup bowl

NO saucer

18 ounce mugs (great for soup too!)

So, I bought individual pieces.

I didn't like the sets.  They typically come with a dinner plate, a tiny dessert plate, a small bowl, a saucer and a small mug.

I wanted:

dinnerplate

small cereal bowl

large soup bowl

NO saucer

That's what I'm considering. And then I can just pick up a couple of pieces at a time, when they are on sale/clearance as I can afford it!

• Like 2

One thing to consider is your storage options; I am not a super strong person (especially my arms).  My cabinets were up high.  We got rid of a heavy set of dishes (ones made by my own MOTHER) because it was just flat out dangerous for me to get the dishes out and put them away.  We got a decent set (and not Corelle...yes it is light, but the texture sets my teeth on edge) that was lighter than stoneware. 

My mom even had to get rid of her own dishes for this reason when she got older.  :0(

I love my Fiestaware! Two years ago I bought each kid two sets in their favorite color. That is all they can use. It has saved me tons of headaches figuring out who didn't put their dishes away. They love it too! When they move out they get to take their dishes with them.

What a good idea!

I wanted:

dinnerplate

small cereal bowl

large soup bowl

NO saucer

I agree!  I bought mine through Macys online and their shipping was so well padded it cracked me up.  It was like they were sending a $500 vase in each box.  I waited until the Fiesta was on sale, and they had an additional 15% or 20% off.  It wasn't cheap (Fiesta never is), but it was the lowest prices I had seen on it around town over the year. 

I bought:

Dinner plate (20)

Luncheon plate (12)

Gusto bowls (just 6)

regular bowls (8)

fruit bowls (8)

Java mug (6)

Plus some service pieces.

I didn't want the specific pieces in the sets, so I paid a bit more, but got exactly what I wanted  instead of extra pieces that would just sit unused in the cupboard.

• Like 1

I got mine when it was on sale at Kohl's and I had a 30% off coupon to boot.  It worked out to be a pretty good deal.  And yes, love that I can easily replace a piece if it breaks.  But the stuff is really really durable.  My kids load/unload the dishwasher on a regular basis and we've had almost no breakage or chipping.  One bowl broke when it was dropped into my porcelain sink.  I did have one bowl chip, but Fiestaware has a 5 yr warranty against chipping.  They sent me a replacement piece after a phone call.  I think I had to snap a picture and email it to them and that was the extent of my trouble.  They didn't even require me to ship the chipped piece back to them or show proof of purchase or anything.

Fiestaware!  My favorite part is that on the few occasions when I have broken a piece they have only broken into two or three big pieces even when dropped.  Unlike my Correllware pieces that shattered into a million sharp shards that I was finding even after vacuuming and mopping. 

• Like 1

I agree!  I bought mine through Macys online and their shipping was so well padded it cracked me up.  It was like they were sending a $500 vase in each box.  I waited until the Fiesta was on sale, and they had an additional 15% or 20% off.  It wasn't cheap (Fiesta never is), but it was the lowest prices I had seen on it around town over the year. 

I bought:

Dinner plate (20)

Luncheon plate (12)

Gusto bowls (just 6)

regular bowls (8)

fruit bowls (8)

Java mug (6)

Plus some service pieces.

I didn't want the specific pieces in the sets, so I paid a bit more, but got exactly what I wanted  instead of extra pieces that would just sit unused in the cupboard.

I got mine from a lady locally who goes up to the Fiestaware annual sales and stocks up.  She had a whole back garage full that was set up like a store.

I haven't seen her ad on CL for a while so I don't know if she stopped doing it or not, but I have enough to keep me going for a good long time.  

I have about the same amount you do, although no fruit bowls and more mugs.   I also have some serving items, bowls, plates, a patter.....

I would love some more of the deep purple color as I only have a couple of pieces.  Other than that, I am good for a while.

My everyday corelle dishes have a greenish design on the rim. I'm on the verge of buying a set with a reddish design so I can mix and match for my holiday table. Neither designs are holiday dishes, but they'll look festive together. Plus, I won't have to move any old dishes to add the new ones because they take up so little space. I'm the one with room for a large sit-down meal, and I really like real dishes for real food. Fiesta is pretty, and fun, but the convenience of lightweight dishes is a huge factor for me and I don't have a ton of storage space.

[snip]....

I would love some more of the deep purple color as I only have a couple of pieces.  Other than that, I am good for a while.

Me too.....I was only able to get the plates and gusto bowls in purple when I ordered.  There wasn't much out there in that color then, but I think all the pieces are available in plum on the Fiestaware website this year.  Maybe I will have to stash a couple of pieces under the Christmas tree for myself.  LOL

• Like 2

Just piping in to direct everyone's attention to our very own Pioneer Woman, Ree, who recently released an entire line of dinnerware.  The pieces are colorful, and vary in pattern, but they all mix and match beautifully.  You can see them at thepioneerwoman.com, and they're available at Walmart.  

(I love Fiesta Ware, buy the way.  Just thought I'd throw this out there.