Menu

s/o: Most c-sections, had by someone you know?

I know someone who's had 3. My mom is a nurse who used to work L & D and at an OB office. She has said that in the 90's the most the doctors liked to do is 3 because it compromised the uterus and left too much scar tissue. There was a very real risk of hemmoraging or rupture. Things may have changed since then but thought I'd add it in just in case.

HTH

I know someone who's had 3. My mom is a nurse who used to work L & D and at an OB office. She has said that in the 90's the most the doctors liked to do is 3 because it compromised the uterus and left too much scar tissue. There was a very real risk of hemmoraging or rupture. Things may have changed since then but thought I'd add it in just in case.

HTH

I've always wondered, if you go over their magic number...what do they tell you? "We're not going to deliver your baby?" Is the law in most states written so that they cannot refuse to treat a patient?

They are expensive w/o insurance. Not a problem here though... I just got the ins. statement form the surgery. The hospital wanted to charge over $4,000 but they settled at 2,500. I guess they aren't allowed to charge more than an agreed on amount.

I have a $200 copay for maternity stay and $100 for the baby. Not bad considering they cover everything you want/need in the hospital and there were no pre-natal copays.

I have had two sections and am pregnant now. I have a great doctor who is helping my with a v-bac, but he says that he has no automatic cut-off for the number of sections. He said that if he has performed the previous section then he has a feel for the health of the uterus and will inform the mother at that time what his suggestions for the future are. He has suggested that some women not have more than three, but has successfully performed 6 sections on more than one patient.

Gotta love a doctor who considers each situation on an individual basis rather than making generalizations.

Laurel T.

I've had four (I have a deceased daughter, hence the discrepancy with my signature). Due to an excessive amount of uterine damage, my OB put a stop to any future pregnancies -- but under normal circumstances, I would have been allowed to have had one more (not with his blessing, but not with his complete disapproval, either).

Maybe Switzerland? Somewhere involving a plane, wasn't it?

I do remember discussion of a big trip. Switzerland would make sense - a lot of it. I remember the deliberating over whether to delay starting school for a trip. I guess I just thought the timeframe had already come and gone, but I have no real explanation for thinking that.

(Oh, and btw, Sarah -- did I ever get to tell you that I love you, too!? :001_smile:)

They are expensive w/o insurance. Not a problem here though... I just got the ins. statement form the surgery. The hospital wanted to charge over $4,000 but they settled at 2,500. I guess they aren't allowed to charge more than an agreed on amount.

I have a $200 copay for maternity stay and $100 for the baby. Not bad considering they cover everything you want/need in the hospital and there were no prenatal copays.

First ds was over $30,000 and second ds was over $28,000. Of course there were things other than the c-sections involved in those bills, both pgs were high risk. My appendix went septic, had been leaking for several weeks and then burst, and I had a severe case of peritonitis at 32 weeks with first ds and we both nearly died. During that c-section my heart stopped.... With ds 2 I dilated and effaced at 20 weeks and he was a month early, too much scare tissue from the paritonitis and emergency section of ds 1. I have no idea how much they would cost in today's dollars. I am sure that there are gals on the boards who had more expensive pgs and with more serious conditions during the pgs.

So I think your bill is not bad and congrats on the baby!

First ds was over $30,000 and second ds was over $28,000. Of course there were things other than the c-sections involved in those bills, both pgs were high risk. My appendix went septic, had been leaking for several weeks and then burst, and I had a severe case of peritonitis at 32 weeks with first ds and we both nearly died. During that c-section my heart stopped.... With ds 2 I dilated and effaced at 20 weeks and he was a month early, too much scare tissue from the paritonitis and emergency section of ds 1. I have no idea how much they would cost in today's dollars. I am sure that there are gals on the boards who had more expensive pgs and with more serious conditions during the pgs.

So I think your bill is not bad and congrats on the baby!

Oh, but we have not seen what they charged for the hospital stay yet, lol. I'm sure that if I actually checked my mail, that I would know today. This hospital seems to like to get its money right away.

I know someone who has had 3 c/s in less than 3 years. The babies were spaced about 14-16 months apart, giving her very little time to heal in between. During c/s #2, the scar was see-through before the incision. After c/s #3, the doctor had a difficult time matching the edges of the scar together because it was so thin. He recommended that she not have more. This is Mormon country, where larger families are common, so I trust his judgment.

I had 3 c/s as well, and the doctor never said anything about that for me. I could have had more. A study recommends spacing children more than 18 months apart to reduce the risk of rupture in future pregnancies.

I think it all totally depends on your dr. I had #4 and #5 with a dr. who was totally fine with it. He always said he would let us know on a case by case basis if he felt we shouldn't have anymore. He said he had a patient who had had 8 c-sections. However, we moved to a different state before I got pregnant with #6 and I had to find a new dr. She was very nervous and recommended we didn't have any more children because of scar tissue. We had decided before I ever got pregnant that #6 would be the last, so we were fine with her suggestion.

Just my experience,

Joy

I personally know a woman who had 7 C-sections.

I am also acquainted with a woman who had 8. I met her when I was in for my 2nd (twins). I was actually horrified by this (had just been cut open, wasn't too happy about it). In retrospect, I am in awe. I don't think my body could or would get through all that.

My MIL had five C-sections beginning in 1956 with my spouse. She was a farm wife, had very little help, and had three kids in rather quick succession. Then my youngest SIL and BIL came along 1961 and 1966, respectively.

She tells me hers were done the old-fashioned way - vertically. Yikes.

I had 4 c-sections. The most my ob/gyn has ever done on one woman is 9.

My friend, who is 88, had 8 c-sections. She said she was treated like a queen after each one. But, as she put it, hospitals were a lot different than they are now. She never caught an infection after each c-section, but she had an outpatient surgery a few months ago and got an infection in the incision. She kind of jokingly and not joking says that the doctor did not wash his hands.

I had 4 c/s, on the 5 pregnancy my uterus ruptured at 22 weeks, I died on the table for 9 min,lost my twins and my uterus. And, while it doesn't happen to everyone or happen that often, it is devastating when it does. They are hard on your body if you have them too close together which mine were about every 2 years.

How awful. I am deeply sorry to hear that.

If you don't mind me asking, is there anything that could have been done to at least reduce the chance of something like that happening? Is there any way to gauge the risk of a rupture?

Please forgive me if that is too personal.

Now that I read the posts, I see the women who had 7 and 8. Perhaps my MIL's five weren't so bad.

Actually, the woman who had 7 told me that every doctor who ever examines her asks, "What the @#$% happened to you?" She says her body looks like a war zone. So, yes, I think your MIL is amazing and went through a lot. Give her a basket full of nice, comfy things, like fuzzy slippers, bath salts, candles, and pretty-smelling soaps. She deserves them! (And you have your hubby through her!). :D

How awful. I am deeply sorry to hear that.

If you don't mind me asking, is there anything that could have been done to at least reduce the chance of something like that happening? Is there any way to gauge the risk of a rupture?

Please forgive me if that is too personal.

There is nothing you can do to reduce your risk of this happening. For me, one of the babies implanted on my scar tissue. Some people are fine some are not; I am not a doctor by any means but perhaps an early ultrasound would have shown something but not sure what they could have done to stop it if they saw it, kwim. I was never told that having too many c/s would be dangerous, but I am not sure it would have changed anything if I did.

I had 4 c/s, on the 5 pregnancy my uterus ruptured at 22 weeks, I died on the table for 9 min,lost my twins and my uterus.

I didn't get it as bad as you did, but I was real lucky too...

I only had 2 c/s but the second one ruptured. Luckily I had been clamoring for them to cut me open right at the very first contraction, so they were all ready when the rupture happened. And that was at the natural end of my pregnancy. We all survived the event, but it was strongly recommended I never get pregnant again.

Glad you're still with us.

My Mom had three. She suspects the first was for the convenience of the doctor. That was 1973. Her other two, in 1983 and 1988, were because of the first. That's the most I know of in real life.

I had one. It took me so long to fully recover that I can't even imagine having as many as four or five!

All 4 of mine were delivered via c/section and each time the Dr. said everything looked great and the scar was secure, etc. One nice thing, it never hurt after the first one. That one was pretty awful, but the rest were a piece of cake. I was up within hours and not even in pain.

That being said, I still am numb in the lower 1/3 of my abdomen from the last one- skin is still out and my youngest is almost 3. I am hoping it returns soon. The muscles are lax, so that sucks.

I had more trouble with the epidural agents making me have terrible nausea with my later ones. No real other issues.

I have a friend who had 6 at last count. She said it just takes a little longer for them to sew her up now than it did the first 3 or so. I noticed it was longer with the last one compared to the 3 previous, but they did repair a cyst on my fallopian tube with that one. I also had some endometriosis repaired during my third. That part is nice, no further procedures there.